• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

I thought she was scratching her head or something.

8rtnHbV.gif

Link1110

The end credits for MegaMan 10 takes a riff from the naming screen of Megami Tensei for NES, the riff starts 0:13 into the credits song. Believe it's just a coincidence? Later on in the song (1:33) the riff is reused adding two notes, which just happen to be the same two notes added when that song was remixed in Megami Tensei 2.

And while we're at it, is it just me, or does April May/Lotta Hart's theme from Phoenix Wright seem to reuse the beginning of Dan Dan kokjoro hikareteku from Dragon Ball GT?

Link1110

Here's another Phoenix Wright one... In the original GBA games, 1 had 4 cases, 2 had 4 cases and 3 had 5 cases

4 + 4 + 5 = 13, the amount of episodes in a shorter anime

J10

Banned
How about the level in Mario Sunshine that was shaped like a Gamecube controller? Surely that was posted already.

rc4lTsC.jpg

J10

Banned
does a little bit

flip it upside down and youve got A, B X Y buttons in same place as on GC controller

Yeah, that view is upside down. The huts are in the same place as a the d-pad and c-stick. Fountain where the start button would be. Palm tree where the move stick is. It's plain as day when you see it in game - it's the exact shape and layout of the controller.

huxley00

One that surprised me that I never knew. After playing FF6 several times in my youth, it was only recently revealed to me that Shadow is Relm's father, or very likely to be

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Relm_Arrowny

Through of a series of flashbacks unveiled by resting in various inns with Shadow in the party, it is revealed that Shadow is Relm's father. Shadow's dreams tell the story of him as a train robber named Clyde who fled the authorities with his partner Baram.
Baram was killed but Shadow escaped to Thamasa, where he fell in love with an unnamed woman and fathered a child before leaving the village to keep his past from catching up with him. The village dog, Interceptor, followed him. This is why Interceptor is so friendly towards Relm, and why both Shadow and Relm can use the Memento Ring, said to be empowered by the love of a departed mother - in this case, Relm's mother and Shadow's lover.

If the player allows Shadow to die on the Floating Continent, the flashback sequence viewed when the player rescues Relm changes to show Strago speaking to Relm, who then cries out for "Daddy" and asks where he went and if he will come back, before Interceptor leaves. This fits perfectly with the flashback viewed if the player rescues Shadow instead of Relm, which shows him, as Clyde, walking away from Strago's home when Interceptor runs up from behind him. In the original English Super NES release, he tells Interceptor to stay with "the girl", but the word used for "girl" in the Japanese release could also be used as a humble form of "daughter". In the Game Boy Advance release the word "daughter" is used instead, making it clear that Shadow fathered a child in Thamasa before fleeing the village.

Shadow and Relm's relationship was officially confirmed in developers' interviews in 1995. The developers considered having a scene in a bar (presumably in Thamasa) where Strago asks Shadow to reveal his identity. The dialogue was supposed to be as follows:

Strago: I have one request... Show me your face. Even if you are him, I have no intention of wasting time trying to talk you into staying. I just want to know... for Relm's sake...
Shadow: ...... (He takes off his mask and shows Strago his face. However, his back is turned so that the player can't see.)
Strago: Thank you... Shadow. ...Come, let's have a drink.[1]

I'm sure a lot of you know that. However, what you may not know is that it had a fully orchestrated streamed soundtrack. Here it all is! It replaced the standard LTTP music, and I'm sure it would have been amazing to play at the time

There isn't really an orchestra there though. It is all Synthesized.

fabprems

Hope it hasn't been posted in this thread yet !

Today I've have discover why EA genenis cartridges looked like this
GENESIS-GAME-NHLPA%20Hockey%2093.JPG

It's because EA made themselves these cartridges ! They reverse-engineered the genesis devkit so they could make cartridge themselves and then only pay 2$ of royalty to Sega instead of 8$, saving millions of dollars on their best sellers !

In preparation of the big reveal, EA booked a booth at the 1990 Consumer Electronics Show, with plans to showcase seven titles. In those pre-E3 years, CES was the go-to convention for gaming companies. Riding the success of its recent Game Boy launch and the NES’ dominant market share, Nintendo planned to show off the legendary title Super Mario Bros. 3. At the same time, Sega was planning a proper introduction to the Genesis, which had just launched in August, and NEC was touting its new TurboGrafx-16 console as a must-have device thanks to a new title called Bonk’s Adventure.

The night before the show began, Trip Hawkins met with Sega CEO Hayao Nakayama and informed him of his company’s bold feat. “We basically said, ‘We’re going to run our own licensing program unless you agree to our terms,’” Gordon says.

Sega was caught in an uncomfortable position. If EA went ahead with its licensing program, the console manufacturer would be losing a significant portion of the profit that traditionally comes with the territory. EA could essentially reach out to other publishers and offer better returns and cheaper manufacturing costs than Sega was willing to do. The meeting lasted through the night, and in the morning Sega acquiesced.

http://bluetoad.com/iphone/article.php?id=773681&id_issue=73272&src=&ref=

Story :
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/08/the-story-of-ea-and-the-pirate-genesis-development-kit/

EA's (evil) genius is mind blowing :D

Doczu

Hope it hasn't been posted in this thread yet !

Today I've have discover why EA genenis cartridges looked like this
GENESIS-GAME-NHLPA%20Hockey%2093.JPG

It's because EA made themselves these cartridges ! They reverse-engineered the genesis devkit so they could make cartridge themselves and then only pay 2$ of royalty to Sega instead of 8$, saving millions of dollars on their best sellers !

Story :
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/08/the-story-of-ea-and-the-pirate-genesis-development-kit/

EA's (evil) genius is mind blowing :D

So. EA was always a dick?

The only reason why I kind of don't mind it is because they gave us some great genesis titles, but they are dicks still.

Sega was probably so desperate for support on the Genesis that they had no other choice than to give in to Trip Hawkins demands. But it really did work out to EA's favor and to a lesser extend Sega's during that generation. They were one of the most active Westren third party developers early on in the consoles life. They also helped solidify sales for the Genesis in the western regions, especially with their sports games.

Dick move? Sure. But dick move? Sure. But it was also a brilliant move on their part.

I used to be really careful not to damage or touch the yellow EA clip in the side of the carts until one day my oldest cousin showed me what was under it, fucking nothing. lol.

With saving so much money on their own carts you could think they would save an extra penny not including that weird clip too.

Cheerilee

Sega was probably so desperate for support on the Genesis that they had no other choice than to give in to Trip Hawkins demands. But it really did work out to EA's favor and to a lesser extend Sega's during that generation. They were one of the most active Westren third party developers early on in the consoles life. They also helped solidify sales for the Genesis in the western regions, especially with their sports games.

Dick move? Sure. But dick move? Sure. But it was also a brilliant move on their part.

Nope, here's more quotes from the article.

Behind closed doors, Toys “R” Us showed EA its monthly sales numbers for every product in the store. When they arrived at the games section, it wasn’t hard to see the breadth of Nintendo’s reach. Running down the list of the bestselling games, the first PC title didn’t show up until the third page. The rest were Nintendo games. “It was like, ‘Oh my god, this is data we can’t ignore,’” Gordon remembers.

After this rude awakening, EA knew it couldn’t ignore the home console’s earning potential. But when it approached Nintendo about obtaining a licensing agreement, it became clear that making money on the NES wouldn’t be easy thanks to the Japanese company’s unwavering approach to third parties.

“Nintendo was operating with near monopoly power,” Gordon says. “They had like a 95 percent share of the console business, and they had earned it because they took a huge risk.”

If a publisher wanted to get in bed with the NES, they had to fly to Japan, state its case for a development system, and if Nintendo deemed it worthy there was only one deal on the table. Nintendo would sell the company a dev kit for what Gordon calls “a ridiculous price,” and after a game was finished the publisher had to send it to Nintendo, which would ultimately decide whether our not it would be manufactured.

“Wait, we spend all this time and we build a game but we don’t know if we can bring it to market?” Gordon remembers asking. “They said, ‘That’s right, and if we decide to bring it to market, we manufacture it and we’ll tell you how many we’ll build. You pay us half the cost, and then we manufacture it when we feel like it. When it’s done in Japan you pay the second half of the cost and we release it and you figure out how you want to ship it.’”

By exerting near total control over any publisher who wanted to work on its platforms, Nintendo essentially operated like a legal extortionist under the guise of the license agreement. Even if you created a game that would fly off store shelves if given the opportunity, Nintendo could freeze you out of the market if didn’t like the game, decided it was too similar to one of its own games and thus cut into their profits, or felt the content didn’t fit with its vision of the console.

EA wasn’t interested in willingly participating in this punishing one-sided relationship, so it started looking for other options. Sega had just released a new 16-bit console called the Genesis and it would soon debut in North America. EA just happened to have several successful 16-bit titles from the Commodore, Amiga, and IBM PC that would be a natural fit.
When EA inquired about publishing its games on the Genesis, the executives felt their proposal would be met with open arms. After all, Sega’s Master System floundered due to a shallow game catalog, garnering a mere three-percent market share. With EA’s developmental chops and library of proven games on board, the Genesis would have a fighting chance.

“We said, ‘You’re coming out with this system and you’re nowhere, but we have games,’” Gordon recalls. “’We’ll make a bunch of games, but you have to give us a different license than Nintendo because you’re nowhere. We’re your lone partner.’”

Instead of embracing the logic in EA’s proposal, Sega of America president Mike Katz had other ideas. Sega wanted to emulate the Nintendo licensing agreement system, leaving little to no negotiation room for third-party publishers.

“Sega said, ‘No. We’re going to be as important as Nintendo and we’re not going to back down,’” Gordon remembers.

Sega’s stingy response amazed EA. “You’re so stupid,” Gordon recalls thinking. “You can get to the majority of the market with third-party support. Change the rules or we can’t commit.”

The discussion went back and forth for nearly a year, until a Sega executive boldly told Gordon, “If you want a different deal you’re going to have to reverse engineer the system, aren’t you?”

“I didn’t say anything, but I went home and took notes in case of deposition – because it turned out that we had a few engineers,” Gordon says.
Trip Hawkins met with Sega CEO Hayao Nakayama and informed him of his company’s bold feat. “We basically said, ‘We’re going to run our own licensing program unless you agree to our terms,’”
By "run our own licensing program", they mean that EA was going to sell third parties backdoor access to the Sega Genesis, very much against Sega's wishes.

Basically, give EA unrestricted VIP access to the front door, or EA will take control total over the back door.

Nope, here's more quotes from the article.

By "run our own licensing program", they mean that EA was going to sell third parties backdoor access to the Sega Genesis, very much against Sega's wishes.

Basically, give EA unrestricted VIP access to the front door, or EA will take control total over the back door.

I never knew all the details, but that's interesting. I actually think Trip made the right decision by extorting Sega like that. Michael Katz and Hayao Nakayama.were making a really idiotic decision to try and copy Nintendo's licensing agreement style when the company was not in a very good position to do so. Knocking them down a few notches like that was for the best.

Threatening a platform provider to give everyone their cartridge technology so Sega would lose a fuckton of cash does sound like a dick move to me. Almost as naughty as Sony with their SNES CD plans.

Nintendo had their dick moves too. They did run a monopoly on third parties with their own lucrative contracts that locked developers into publishing games for only the NES. Anyone who signed on with Nintendo back then were not allowed to publish games for competing consoles.The American Federal Trades Commission actually had to step in and break up Nintendo's monopoly on third parties, which benefited Sega a lot in the early 90's.

I used to be really careful not to damage or touch the yellow EA clip in the side of the carts until one day my oldest cousin showed me what was under it, fucking nothing. lol.

With saving so much money on their own carts you could think they would save an extra penny not including that weird clip too.

I remember being told back then that there were batteries uncased under those yellow tabs. When the save battery died, you could pull off the tab and replace it with a new one.

Doczu

Nintendo had their dick moves too. They did run a monopoly on third parties with their own lucrative contracts that locked developers into publishing games for only the NES. Anyone who signed on with Nintendo back then were not allowed to publish games for competing consoles.The American Federal Trades Commission actually had to step in and break up Nintendo's monopoly on third parties, which benefited Sega a lot in the early 90's.

I'm not saying Nintendo was good with their policy, but there is a slight difference between someone who provides hardware and deals the cards and someone who is a player and tries to "cheat".

None of my games have a battery backup from EA so I can't go and check.

Well, I don't that was ever actually the case. A lot of early EA games didn't even have batteries. But it is another example of people not understanding why the yellow tab was there :p Some of my friends though they were like secret buttons or something.

I'm not saying Nintendo was good with their policy, but there is a slight difference between someone who provides hardware and deals the cards and someone who is a player and tries to "cheat".

Yeah I understand, but nobody back then were really immune from using underhanded tactics in the game industry (just like now, Heh). Hiroshi Yamauchi, had guys like Howard Lincoln who could be an absolute piranha if he needed to be. Lincoln used quite a few underhanded tactics during the video game censorship trials.

tornjaw

It's in world 3. The water world. The castle is in Japan.

sm3_world3_zps72743044.gif

All (again) stolen from 4chan -

Not so mind-blowing but neat attention to detail:

Behemoth corpse from Rondo of Blood in the background of the Colosseum in Symphony of the Night.
hqdefault.jpg

sotn_behemoth_zpsc4da83ba.png

Grobyc from
Chrono Cross
is cyborg backwards.
Grobyc_cyborg_zps929aa97c.jpg

How did I not notice this?

The first village in Castlevania: Simon's Quest is the same village in the opening stage in Rondo of Blood.
castlevania_comparison_zps05d13e73.jpg

mclem

One that I don't think I've ever posted here, but it's something that's always niggled me.

In many RPGs that originate in Japan:

Cure is a spell that heals you.
Heal is a spell that cures you.

Top Bottom