• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Here's one that actually blew my mind and shocked me for not realizing this somehow, not sure if everyone else already has:

Have you realized the trademark "Mario death" jingle... is actually a clip of the main theme?

Hum the jingle then the song, god damn.

karobit

Mega Man died after the first game. The eight robot masters (plus dr wily) in each subsequent game represent the nine circles of hell, which he would of course be consigned to because he is a robot with no soul. See also: Rush's RED COLOR, Dr. COSSACK (russian term = red = devil) and CLOWN MAN, the most evil robot master.

EDIT: SEE ALSO THIS POST NUMBER

Trike

sorry, which game has that? Just curious, not sure which game you're referencing. Thanks!

The TARDIS is a time machine shaped like a 1950s Police Box in the BBC tv show Doctor Who. It is the leftmost trophy in the picture posted. Apparently the trophy reads "Award for Largest Interior with Smallest Exterior".

I just went downstairs and tried this.

Bubble Bobble 2: Worked.
Batman: Didn't work.
Mega Man 2: Worked
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Worked.

I'm thinking I probably just need to clean Batman's contacts.

This is fucking crazy.

Mike M

Nick N
I just... That... What? What?

That's like tying a towel around your neck and jumping off the roof only to find that yes, it fucking does enable the user to fly.

Hasney

Sonic is dead in Sonic 2 onwards. Tails is actually the child he was supposed to have had when he was having sordid affairs with foxes, but she had an abortion as she thought he was a crime of nature. He runs around in his afterlife with the child he never had.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
How does this video only have 880+ views?

This is fucking NUTS. It would have never occurred to me to simply NOT push the cartridge down. And yet...
It's stupid though. Because I've tried to run my NES without pushing it down numerous times and it didn't work. It's designed to be pushed down. It only works without it now because it's so old. People need to stop being so stupid and thinking it was designed to not be pushed down. Your NES is worn out. That's why it works that way now. Use yer braiiiiins, people!

baphomet

It's stupid though. Because I've tried to run my NES without pushing it down numerous times and it didn't work. It's designed to be pushed down. It only works without it now because it's so old. People need to stop being so stupid and thinking it was designed to not be pushed down. Your NES is worn out. That's why it works that way now. Use yer braiiiiins, people!

Actually it only works if its new. Because of its faulty design pushing it down bends the pins in the connector. A new one that connects as it should really shouldnt be pushed down. Youll eventually screw that connector as well.

Also, it's not as if the lid doesn't close if you don't push it down.

I mean - there's absolutely zero reason for you to EVER push the fucking cartridge down if baphomet is correct. If you've got an NES and you can either refurbish it yourself, or pay the 25-50 bones to have it refurbished, you can extend the life of the thing by simply never using the mechanism as it was designed to be used.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Get the fuck outta here if this is true!!!

I've got a bung NES in the other room that I'm going to get out. I have to pick up that CRT from my dad's shed, no way I'm going to connect it up to my LCD.
image.php

I read this in his voice, lol.

mclem

Also, it's not as if the lid doesn't close if you don't push it down.

I mean - there's absolutely zero reason for you to EVER push the fucking cartridge down if baphomet is correct. If you've got an NES and you can either refurbish it yourself, or pay the 25-50 bones to have it refurbished, you can extend the life of the thing by simply never using the mechanism as it was designed to be used.

I assume 'pushing it down' was a mechanic to reduce the risk of the cartridge getting suddenly and randomly unseated from the contacts (See also the physical lock on the SNES cartridges with the on/off switch), a security measure rather than a necessity for functioning.

Roland1979

There is this game called Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror. It is a Unreal mod. It was supposed to compete with the success of Counter Strike, which was a Half life mod.
Even though t never get that big it landed itself for hundreds of hours of solid online gameplay. It had a much faster pace then CS, which can be good. Instead of a CS clone you get another tactical shooter with a different feel. In CS aiming is crucial. In TO reflexes are just as important. Part of the reason why CS became so popular is because of the community support. However, this support was only possible because the game allowed custom maps, weapons, entire game modes, etc. The game itself kept changing and stayed fresh because of this. TO Missed uniformity and it was to hard to share files. Often people would even have conflicting versions of the game. Because of CS and TO i lost 10 years of my life
and i would do it again in a heart beat!
. Thanks, Obama!

There is this game called Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror. It is a Unreal mod. It was supposed to compete with the success of Counter Strike, which was a Half life mod.
Even though t never get that big it landed itself for hundreds of hours of solid online gameplay. It had a much faster pace then CS, which can be good. Instead of a CS clone you get another tactical shooter with a different feel. In CS aiming is crucial. In TO reflexes are just as important. Part of the reason why CS became so popular is because of the community support. However, this support was only possible because the game allowed custom maps, weapons, entire game modes, etc. The game itself kept changing and stayed fresh because of this. TO Missed uniformity and it was to hard to share files. Often people would even have conflicting versions of the game. Because of CS and TO i lost 10 years of my life
and i would do it again in a heart beat!
. Thanks, Obama!

Okay?

Atruvius

I can't even identify the game, much less what you're getting at.

Picture is from Killzone 3. Ironsight suddenly disappears when you aim down the sights.

I always wondered about that disappearing ironsight. Nice to see that Guerilla they made a tiny animation for it.

lord pie

Don't explain anything, it's a bannable offense.

Ohh sorry. When I showed friends they got it pretty quick, the 'aha - wait wtf' moment was funny to them. I guess they play Killzone a lot more too.
The little aiming stalk at the end of the gun magically disappears into the gun when you aim down the sight

The Boat

Ohh sorry. When I showed friends they got it pretty quick, the 'aha' moment was funny to them. I guess they play Killzone a lot more too.
The little aiming stalk at the end of the gun magically disappears into the gun when you aim down the sight
Ah cool that's a nice detail.

NaviLink

Is this seriously a viable solution I've never actually been aware of? No, this isn't my own video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOqsZGW7cQ

This video is invalidated: he blows the cartridges to clean them. It actually has the opposite effect. Don't blow in your cartridges, kids.

If you take a look at how the slot works, it's easy to understand why it works better: there's actually better contact when you don't push it down. But it's very dependent on the state of the unit, how it's been used, if you've pushed the pins to have better contact...

If you've disassembled a NES before, you know what I'm talking about.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This video is invalidated: he blows the cartridges to clean them. It actually has the opposite effect. Don't blow in your cartridges, kids.

If you take a look at how the slot works, it's easy to understand why it works better: there's actually better contact when you don't push it down. But it's very dependent on the state of the unit, how it's been used, if you've pushed the pins to have better contact...

Told you. The theory that "We've been doing it wrong all these years" is stupid. It only works now because it's worn out. And not all of them will work even now. It depends on how much wear and tear the spring got over the years.

Mikey Jr.

I blew on my carts, and its always worked. Sometimes I blew so hard, my face would turn blue. But fuck it. Those NES carts knew not to fuck with me.

RagnarokX

I blew on my carts, and its always worked. Sometimes I blew so hard, my face would turn blue. But fuck it. Those NES carts knew not to fuck with me.
Confirmation bias, placebo effect, illusory correlation.

Just because you did something and then something else happened doesn't mean those things are correlated or have a causal relationship. You remember the times it "worked" and forget all of the times it didn't and assume it was the blowing that made it work and not something else. Every time you removed the cartridge to blow on it you created another random chance that when you put it in the pins would correctly connect and the game would work. Blowing had nothing to do with it. It's just a superstitious ritual you picked up. It's like the weird rituals gamblers do before they roll the dice or pull the slot machine's arm. It has no effect on the outcome. Well, actually, it can affect the outcome... it actually makes games less likely to work :p

Told you. The theory that "We've been doing it wrong all these years" is stupid. It only works now because it's worn out. And not all of them will work even now. It depends on how much wear and tear the spring got over the years.

Isn't the quote you're referencing saying that it DOES work better if you never push it down? Sure, he qualifies the statement, outlines the dependencies needed, but he does say, right there:

If you take a look at how the slot works, it's easy to understand why it works better: there's actually better contact when you don't push it down.

And yeah, dude blowing into the cartridge isn't actually helping anything, that's one of those old urban legends that was debunked long ago. People do it out of ritual at this point, like Ragnarok just mentioned.

Watevaman

Did those cleaning cartridges actually do anything? I remember having a cleaning cartridge where instead of pins you had brushes or something. Used it with a "cleaning solution" (that in retrospect was probably just some alcohol, but I don't remember it working any better than anything else at the time.

Top Bottom