• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Orpheon

Banned
Maybe it was so obvious that it was spared the effort to mention it?

At least something that isn't as obvious, is that in the GC Version of Twilight Princess, the Hylian titles labelling regions / landmarks all over the map resemble the Latin-English alphabet for the first time in the series:

eldinprovince.jpg

Clipper

Orpheon said:
With the number of people that were amazed with the Biggoron sword, I'm sure somebody didn't notice :p.

At least something that isn't as obvious, is that in the GC Version of Twilight Princess, the Hylian titles labelling regions / landmarks all over the map resemble the Latin-English alphabet for the first time in the series:

http://www.desertcolossus.com/zelda11/eldinprovince.jpg
I've heard that one before (way back in 2006 at launch), but just realised I never really bothered to go looking for a pic. Nice to see it, at last.

OnPoint

Clipper said:
With the number of people that were amazed with the Biggoron sword, I'm sure somebody didn't notice :p.

Had a friend tell me I was wrong when I brought it up to him back in the day. Ah memories...

Cheerilee

Mario is showboating, turning around to go back for that hammer bro while holding a smiling phallus (yeah, we all know what's supposed to happen next). The commoners are so entertained that they've forgotten that they're captives. Peach is definitely getting FUTA (note the Bullet Bill imagery, and the flying Koopa's reaction, and Bowser's reaction to the flying Koopa's interruption), so she's not impressed by Mario's antics and just wants him to get her out of there already.

Bowser is as good as dead because there's a Fire Flower growing right before him.

delleps

Neo Member
Orpheon said:

eldinprovince.jpg
Well, that's because TP was the first Zelda to use a Hylian Alphabet based on the latin alphabet, visually as well as functionally.
The GC version was made first, with Link left-handed, as always, and for the Wii version, to make him right-handed, they flipped the world, including the script.
hylian3.gif

Forkball

Not really mindblowing but...

160Feraligatr.png

This Pokemon's name is Feraligatr, not Feraligator. There was a 10 letter limit for Pokemon names, so Nintendo just took out the last vowel. They never fixed it in future versions.

TheJollyCorner said:
dunno about Mario's voice, but that woman's voice made me want to stick shards of broken glass in my ears.
Be thankful you never heard her say "Super Metroid on the SNES".

"Thuper Mee-troid on the THNETH"

FoxSpirit

delleps said:
Well, that's because TP was the first Zelda to use a Hylian Alphabet based on the latin alphabet, visually as well as functionally.
The GC version was made first, with Link left-handed, as always, and for the Wii version, to make him right-handed, they flipped the world, including the script.
http://www.omniglot.com/images/writing/hylian3.gif

They WHAT??? :lol

You mean the whole ingame world? A basket on the right on GC would be on the left on the Wii??

Mik2121

FoxSpirit said:

You mean the whole ingame world? A basket on the right on GC would be on the left on the Wii??
Yep.

You would think taking the Link model and flipping it would have been enough, but seems like they wanted more :D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FoxSpirit said:

Yes. They didn't even bother to edit the text on signs and such, the word "BOMB" on the bomb shop at Kakariko was left mirrored + the entire Hylian wording as mentioned. Such a lazy hack job and for a very silly reason. The entire game being inverted is a minor thing to most people but bothered me all the time outside of the dungeons, even more considering the normal version of the map has the places positioned like in OoT. I'm planning to play the GC version to wash off the bad taste.

Edit: Zelda, serious business, etc.

Mik2121 said:
Yep.

You would think taking the Link model and flipping it would have been enough, but seems like they wanted more :D

Actually, from what I heard, flipping the entire world was easier than just flipping Link.

VG programming is weird.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
it's not that hard to understand, all animations that featured Link interacting with another part of the world, be it a character, item or part of the world, would have needed to be redone, which obviously would have taken a long ass time, so instead of going back and changing hundreds of minor animations, they just flipped the whole thing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Rez said:
it's not that hard to understand, all animations that featured Link interacting with another part of the world, be it a character, item or part of the world, would have needed to be redone, which obviously would have taken a long ass time, so instead of going back and changing hundreds of minor animations, they just flipped the whole thing.
I understand the technical side (and it's still a lazy solution since the proper one was possible but would take more work), what I don't agree with is the mindset involved in actually doing it. They said people were getting "confused" with Link moving his left hand while they were moving their right hands. Yeah, I wonder how many people felt like that with the public demos since during the months they tested the game this apparently was never brought up. And it's not like how you move the remote is connected to the in-game model, it's exactly like pressing a button. Also, excluding lefties in the entire process (I'm not one and Link using his left hand certainly wouldn't bother me). Oh well, I'm glad the game has two versions.
And man, do I rage about this.

Oliver.S

plagiarize said:
<3 VIOLET <3

wtf was all that transforming stuff in Wave Race?
At first, WR 64 was more like F-Zero on water. But Miyamoto wanted to show humans (like in the GB prequel), so the Jet Ski theme came into place.

jaxword said:
ARe you certain it was SUPPOSED to be an in game vocal?

Square has done many, many, many albums post-game that incorporate vocals on tracks from the game (and tracks unused as well).

A good example was Roaming Sheep from FF3. Never heard that in game, but it was released on an FF3 album a few years later.

I'm nearly positive I remember reading an interview with Uematsu saying they were looking into breaking new ground with In-game vocals BEFORE FFVII with this song, but you could be right.

Anyway, don't how many people know about this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9wyx7H44jI#t=2m12s

The conversation Vaan is having with Penelo in the background is a nod to the classic FFT Propositions "I got a good feeling", "This is the Way" etc

Jasoco

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually, from what I heard, flipping the entire world was easier than just flipping Link.

VG programming is weird.
Sounds like Professor Farnsworth logic to me. The engines don't move the ship, they move the universe around the ship.

Roto13

Jasoco said:
Sounds like Professor Farnsworth logic to me. The engines don't move the ship, they move the universe around the ship.
Rez said:

Jasoco

Banned
Guess it makes sense. Since they'd have to reprogram all the scripts and motions for Link's arm flipping switches and shit. Still, this wouldn't be a problem if more people used their left hand to swing a sword. (i.e. held the Wiimote in the left-hand instead of the right.) But fuck, even I'm left-handed and I can't do things left-handed because I grew up in a right-handed world. (I can only write with my left hand among a small amount of other things. Other stuff is done right-handed like cutting with scissors.)

But I will always weep for the loss of left-handed Link. And I'm sure Miyamoto is a little disappointed that he had to resort to it too.

Top Bottom