• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Enters the Ring on June 5

The wording is weird in the OP release.

It says there are the individual 5$ packs,then says there are additional packs of 10 and 9 for $15 for DLC items.

Why did they word it like that? Do they in fact contain the same stuff? Why didn't they just say, these 2 $15 packs contain what is in the individual character packs, so buy the whole thing at once and save, save, save?

Suairyu

Banned
Wow, S through D? I assumed the game would be more balanced than that. I remember Tekken 6 was like S through B.
The difference between tiers in VF is much more subtle, though. Every character is still tournament viable. I mean, the closer you get to balance perfection the more the small problems stick out like sore thumbs.

Also, the practice of tiering characters from how often they appear in tournament finals isn't exactly empirical.

Also again, you will never get good enough to notice the difference. Ever. On the off-chance you do, Virtua Fighter 6 will be out already and it won't matter.

fernoca

Yeah. Wording is weird. The way I read it like others did was:
-19 individual packs at $5 each (with 600-900 item each)
-2 bundles with those 19 packs at $15 per bundle.

Otherwise it would be $95 + $30+ 15 = $140 for everything. :O?!

Kinda like the Street Figther x Tekken bundles. They sell the individual costumes at $1 each and they sell a bundle of SF costumes and another with Tekken costumes for $15 each. (no bundle with all costumes)

Busaiku

The wording is weird in the OP release.

It says there are the individual 5$ packs,then says there are additional packs of 10 and 9 for $15 for DLC items.

Why did they word it like that? Do they in fact contain the same stuff? Why didn't they just say, these 2 $15 packs contain what is in the individual character packs, so buy the whole thing at once and save, save, save?
It really doesn't sound like the same stuff.
Why would they launch something that costs up to $95 alongside something that costs $30, if they contain the same things?

They make an effort to indicate how much the individual packs contain (600-900 things), whereas they never emphasize that point on the $15 packs.
Kinda like the Street Figther x Tekken bundles. They sell the individual costumes at $1 each and they sell a bundle of SF costumes and another with Tekken costumes for $15 each. (no bundle with all costumes)
Yeah, but the difference is there are 19 costumes for each side, so you save $4 on each.
The difference here is $35/$30.

There would be no point in having individual packs then.

fernoca

Oh, Brad's A-tier? :O!

I usually main him (at least use him for the most part since 'Evolution'), but..well I'm not that great anyway. :p

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
You guys need to ignore tiers. I bet they aren't going to make a lick of difference to anyone here.

Play who you like and who fits your style. That will have you playing better than any of these arbitrary rankings.

soakrates

Eileen :(

At least my second pick Jean seems solid.
Eileen still does very well in tournaments. Check the usage charts in the VFDC thread Falling Edge linked to in that post. Lower tier characters are very capable of making it far into the brackets, but they will have to work harder.

Perfect price. I was on the fence as I've never tried a 3D fighter before (and I'm still trying to learn KOFXIII) but for $15 I'm in day one. I actually love how in this gen much of my gaming costs has been subsidized by F2P or DLC payments. No need for the DLC myself and I get a super reasonable price.

probably going with wolf, brad, kage and maybe akira. not sure yet. been a while since i've tried to dig into VF. beginning of the HD gen...

BadWolf

Eileen still does very well in tournaments. Check the usage charts in the VFDC thread Falling Edge linked to in that post. Lower tier characters are very capable of making it far into the brackets, but they will have to work harder.

Yeah, I'm going to play her first regardless. Really like her design/style.

Prophane33

Hell yeah, was thinking this was going to come out way later in the summer. Day 1, will probably get half the DLC day 1, and the other half later. Might have to actually upgrade to XBL Gold for this, at least for the few months until the Fall semester.

jett

D-Member
Nice to know Sega's got a history of solid netcode. Lion and Jacky are who I played with on VF4E, I'll be sticking to them too here, but I'm gonna learn me some El Blaze, he simply looks too cool.

Alx

I mostly hate customs because the characters look unrecognizable in most cases, but SEGA can haz all mah monies for VF.

The good thing about the DLC, is that even if there is no option to disable it, if you didn't buy it the items will probably not appear on your opponent.

Anyway the only thing I hope is that there is either a big enough community online, or they'll have a good way to keep you busy while looking for an opponent (I think SF4 lets you fight AI while it looks for a match online ? that's a great idea, please steal it Sega ! :) ).
The only thing I dislike with SC5 online is waiting for a minute between each match.

GrayFoxPL

Nice to know Sega's got a history of solid netcode. Lion and Jacky are who I played with on VF4E, I'll be sticking to them too here, but I'm gonna learn me some El Blaze, he simply looks too cool.

I still can't get used to how tiny he is. He doesn't look like a short person, he looks like a shrunken down person. Makes the girls look wierd-big, lol. He's hella fun in Vanilla though.

Jacky is an interesting fighter given how his moveset was changed between vanilla 4, Evo and 5. Vanilla 4 is the last time we see his famous "robot kick" db+p+k,k,k,k,k,k. It's worth having original 4 just for these classic moves characters later lost. Imo later vf's kinda lost some of the character by reanimating moves to look more realistic. Jacky's hop knee looks so bad now, like impossible that little hop could hurt anyone.

I also loved how Jeffry was animated in 4, later - eh, sorry it doesn't have the same "oomph".

Oh and costumes 4 >>>> every other VF.

GrayFoxPL

The good thing about the DLC, is that even if there is no option to disable it, if you didn't buy it the items will probably not appear on your opponent.

Lol, sorry but no. I'm 99% sure dlc is just key unlocks. They wouldn't bother in promoting dlc items if they weren't visible to everyone. Besides they are just using the same item system they've been having running for years.

On the topic of tier lists:
Also again, you will never get good enough to notice the difference. Ever. On the off-chance you do, Virtua Fighter 6 will be out already and it won't matter.
The tier lists will look different at the level that 99% will actually play at. As for Tekken 6's tier lists only going to B or whatever, don't forget that there are + and - to those letter grades. An outdated list to be sure, but the point still stands:

A+ = Steve Fox, Marshall Law, Bob
AAA = Bryan Fury, Paul Phoenix, Julia Chang, Lars Alexandersson, Emily "Lili" Rochefort
AA = Bruce Irving, Baek Doo San, King, Jack-6, Eddy Gordo, Feng Wei, Nina Williams
A- = Roger Jr., Armor King, Heihachi Mishima, Kazuya Mishima, Devil Jin, Christie Montiero, Anna Williams, Miguel Caballero Rojo, Leo Kliesen, Lee Chaolan, Alisa Bosconovich
B+ = Lei Wulong, Sergei Dragunov, Craig Marduk, Jin Kazama, Asuka Kazama, Ganryu
B = Hwoarang, Ling Xiaoyu, Wang Jinrei
B- = Yoshimitsu, Raven, Kuma, Panda
C+ = Mokujin, Zafina

All in all, this is gonna be an amazing year for the 3D fighter. Hopefully the low price point will get a bunch of people playing VF. The king deserves his due.

Lol, sorry but no. I'm 99% sure dlc is just key unlocks. They wouldn't bother in promoting dlc items if they weren't visible to everyone. Besides they are just using the same item system they've been having running for years.
No, the DLC are NOT unlock keys. SEGA stated this already. If you dont have the same items as your opponet, you won't see it.

If Goh and Aoi DLC is in the same pack, I'll splurge and get it. The other 8 will be a bonus for the $5 premium. Otherwise I'll get them individually for a total of $10.

Do we know who is in which pack? I only care about Aoi, but will probably end up getting the pack instead of the single (unless they're actually different and the packs don't have everything, which I doubt to be honest).

any news of what SP mode it has? I know it doesn't have Evo's quest mdoe, but I hope AT LEAST it has a Kumite mode where you go through several rankings. Anything less would be uncivilized.

That's disappointing. I spent hours upon hours on quest mode in Evo. But I agree that a good single player where you have to go through several rankings is needed. Otherwise I get bored of fighting games very fast and online isn't always an option for me.

I can't wait for this and it's right around my birthday too!

For a dlc title? Wouldn't that make the size of the game exponentially larger for characters I don't give a damn about?

This is true. Although it takes a lot of the fun away from buying the DLC if you know not everyone can see your masterful creations.

On a similar note. Do the bought items become available all at once or will you have to unlock them by playing? (or buy them with in game currency). It would be a little lame if everything was available at once, plus it's kinda cool to finally be able to equip a hard to unlock item, which your friends will admire or be jealous of. 600-900 items all at once seems like too much, I personally like to unlock them little by little. However I can see how people could get pissed at paying $15 for something and then not have access to it right away.

Are there any tweaks from VF5? Love the VF series, played the hell out of VF5. Hope it's more than just 2 new characters and stage changes.

vg260

For a dlc title? Wouldn't that make the size of the game exponentially larger for characters I don't give a damn about?

Dunno. We don't know how big the DLC would be.

I'd much rather have the option to see them than forced either way. I prefer everyone having to ability (files) to see them, and the option to toggle opponent's customs stuff on/off.

soakrates

VFDC is dead. Good job guys! hahaha

Anyway, VFDC has been been posting some info on the game on Twitter, and apparently the game itself will come with the six default costumes for each character: https://twitter.com/#!/vfdotcom/status/202094900345438208

Also, once Dural is unlocked, you have the option of allowing her to be used in online lobbies: https://twitter.com/#!/vfdotcom/status/202092025116491776

Are there any tweaks from VF5? Love the VF series, played the hell out of VF5. Hope it's more than just 2 new characters and stage changes.
Tons of tweaks. Even though access to the site is sporadic right now, I highly recommend reading the console version FAQs on Virtuafighter.com, particularly question 5: http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/321779/1

Dunno. We don't know how big the DLC would be.

I'd much rather have the option to see them than forced either way. I prefer everyone having to ability (files) to see them, and the option to toggle opponent's customs stuff on/off.

Yea, best case scenario would be for everybody being able to see everything, with the toggle option for me not to see custom stuff.

So people who like seeing others people's creative works can do so, and ones that don't care for it can be happy as well.

But I understand they probably have file size limitations and all of that.

Maybe if this was a GOD title instead of XBLA, then it could had done it that way.

Top Bottom