• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtual Pinball Machine Cabinets are awesome

So awesome in fact I will be building my own shortly. Been sourcing new components and seeing how much material I will need to build the cabinet.

Typically, you need 3 screens (back cabinet display for marquee, digital video display for the dot matrix score/in-game missions and the play screen for the pinball table itself. I'm going to use a 43inch 4k tv for the main play area, and 27inch + 19 inch screens for the back cabinet stuff. Not using a real dot matrix they are stupidly expensive. Will use a surround sound system with subwoofer and shake speakers, as well as nudge sensors. I will just use cheap light up arcade buttons for the ball launcher and some usb controllable leds, the actual ball plunger is too expensive. Coin op door is rather cheap though, will install one of those. Hope to get it all built under <$1500. Most pricey things will be the tv ($500) and gpu (need 1060 or above) Typically these tables with aforementioned specs and features cost $4,000 pre-made, over $6,000 with real DMD and plunger etc.

Examples:

There are over 1800 pinball machines to emulate. For free. Courtesy of Visual Pinball X and the amazing community around it. It is by far the most impressive pinball emulation software, and even uses real pinball machine roms to drive the tables.

Many tables come with 4k textures and 5.1 surround sound.

Example of the table quality:

HPoDdaB.jpg

I will commence my build in ~2 weeks. Will share some of my pitfalls and findings.

nkarafo

Here's our's

64350537-314166536128496-545067985933434880-n.jpg

It's a 2 screen setup. I prefer this from a 3 screen (2 + DMD) because i don't lose the bezels around the DMD. And many tables have their own, like the one in the picture. 3 screen setups just don't look as good IMO because of the black void around the DMD. 3 screeners also look bad with tables that don't have a separate DMD, so you end up with a massive black void between the table and the backglass.

This one cost us around 1.800-2.000 euros to make and LOTS of hours and labor of setting it up and putting it together. And it doesn't even have a good TV, it's a cheap 49 inch powered with a GTX 1050. In the near future we will have to use a better quality screen and a 1660 GPU for 4k, which makes a HUGE difference in how real the tables look.

You also need to know that VP9 tables look terrible. And even many VPX tables as well. There aren't more than 100-150 tables in VPX that look good enough (graphically) to justify such a project. Personally, i'm fine with having 50-100 good looking tables but i see so many pincabs still using VP9 tables, it's not even funny.

Anyway, here's how Addam's Family looks in it's latest version (kinda low quality vid though):

Getaway II and Dinner:

Last edited:

Bubba77

yea once my new ryzen build is complete my old computer is being used for visual pinball. Its awesome to have hundreds of tables right there. I have a real pinball machine(deadpool premium) amd Im somewhat torn between buying another real one to go next to it and the virtual build. As good as virtual is the physics arent perfect, but to be able to play hundreds of tables is hard to pass up!

good luck on the project OP

dan76

Wow, my eyes have been opened! These look amazing. I've always been a fan of pinball artist Dave Christensen, so theoretically I could have all those Bally machines...

It's a 2 screen setup. I prefer this from a 3 screen (2 + DMD) because i don't lose the bezels around the DMD. And many tables have their own, like the one in the picture. 3 screen setups just don't look as good IMO because of the black void around the DMD. 3 screeners also look bad with tables that don't have a separate DMD, so you end up with a massive black void between the table and the backglass.

Awesome build. I have a list of ~100 tables that are actually fun/worthwhile. They more than justify such a setup. Most tables have been redone in 4k. I like the minimalist approach you took. I myself will probably stick with just ~50 of my favorite tables for this build.

However, I've decided to tone down the project. I set myself a budget of $400 and will build a mini-pinball table using a 24 inch play area and a 19 inch for the back. I will give it proper legs though for adequate height. This is purely to learn and have fun. I'm also strapped for room right now.

so you end up with a massive black void between the table and the backglass.

Agreed.

I'm using this as my reference, I will make improvements. For one the legs are too short (and ugly) and the simulated DMD is too high from the play area (and too small). I will place my speakers elsewhere. Given it's a mini cabinet the speakers will probably end up on top of the back with a subwoofer bolted into the play area beneath screen. PC components will be in the back.

VNhAnCw.jpg

My next machine will use a 43 inch 4k screen for play area, and probably a 32 inch for backglass. That is the closest approximation to a real table in terms of ball size.

I've just ordered all the parts I didn't have alongside some extras. I had to buy the 1080p 24 inch monitor, and all up it has cost me $300 usd so far. The wood and cut glass I already picked out and it will cost no more than $50 all up. I'm using an existing media center PC. I'm using a 1080p screen because the media pc only has a 750ti. And it's 24 inch because I don't want to see pixels plus it goes well with a 19 inch 4:3 I already had sitting around.

I will call it the Virtual Pinbaby. Will do some custom art for it. Pinbaby will be devoid of motion sensors, shakers and interactive leds. Pinbaby is a budget baby. More updates coming soon.

Not to worry, the screen i bought has a very low profile bezel, and I plan to make my cabinet less bezel oriented compared to the above. It will be much slimmer all around. I won't risk de-bezeling the screen because its simply not necessary.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Chairman Tickles Chairman Tickles

Just some advice. If you are going to make a pincab be sure to get a decent quality TV for the table. The backglass can be the cheapest, crappiest TV since there is no movement and you only glance at it. But the table is the whole point of the build. You need it to look good. That's the mistake we made and we are going to get a new TV at some point, to replace the cheap one. We can tell the colors and overall quality are crap because the backglass looks better :( Also, you need to think about viewing angles. LCDs have shitty angles so don't place the Table TV completely horizontally or else the far back of the table will look faint. The more angled the TV is the better it will look. In our table i would want a bit more angle but maybe if we get a decent TV it will be fine.

Also, make sure you always use native resolution. So, if you are going to use a graphics card to play at 4K, get a 4K screen. But if you are going to get a 1060 or lower, get a 1080p panel. Do not, i repeat, DO NOT play at 1080p using a 4K TV. The image will be soft and useless.

As for sound, we are using this setup and it's pretty awesome: Get a small 5.1 speaker system. Bolt the woofer at the center of the cabinet. Then make two holes at the bottom front to place the front speakers and place the two rear and center at the backglass somewhere. This way you will hear the flippers from the correct position instead of far away from the backglass. The woofer will also work as a subtle "force feedback" device.

Another suggestion is to use a sound card. Find an old audigy or something. Don't use the unbelievebly shitty motherboard sound. We know because we actually used an old audigy card initially, but we had to take it out and then the sound quality of the device took a nose dive, one that everyone noticed, you don't need to be an audiophile for that.

Last edited:
Yep, with the full size build will ensure to get a decent 4k tv and will ensure to have the pc to run it at native 4k. I will experiment with best angle for any particular tv I get. They are all different after all.

And yes I was thinking of using a 5.1 channel sound system for the next build. Thanks for the advice that makes sense. I do have a sound card lying around. Will ensure I use one for the big table. My big table will be built when I build a new pc probs for cyberpunk, relegating my current 1070 ryzen gaming rig for the 4k table.

Anyway, while I wait for my parts to arrive, stuff like this keeps me amused lol;

Last edited:

baphomet

While cool, they just don't feel like real pinball.

Also you have to make sure whatever screen you're going with has excellent viewing angles. I've seen enough attempts that skimp on the table display and are unplayable.

While cool, they just don't feel like real pinball.

Also you have to make sure whatever screen you're going with has excellent viewing angles. I've seen enough attempts that skimp on the table display and are unplayable.

Of course they don't feel legit, but they feel much better than playing on a screen with a keyboard.

Shmunter

There are 2 different panel technologies, one with better blacks but crap viewing angles, the other has worse blacks but good angles. Get the good angle tech.

There are 2 different panel technologies, one with better blacks but crap viewing angles, the other has worse blacks but good angles. Get the good angle tech.

You mean IPS monitors? They have slightly better angles. Yep, that's what I went with for this pinbaby build.

As for the big one, I might even go a quality low latency OLED...damn the burn in though. For a small screen in vertical orientiation it doesn't really matter as much. Those are issues I will contend with later.

Shmunter

You mean IPS monitors? They have slightly better angles. Yep, that's what I went with for this pinbaby build.

As for the big one, I might even go a quality low latency OLED...damn the burn in though. For a small screen in vertical orientiation it doesn't really matter as much. Those are issues I will contend with later.

That’s right, IPS vs VA. Oled obviously best choice being ideal from any angle.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I love the idea of these things. I have been planning on building one, but I put it on hold as I have been contemplating buying a new house or building a new house. I will probably wait until I’m settled to start this project.

After that I’m gonna build a driving cabinet and then the driving cab and the virtual pinball can take pride of place next to my MAME cabinet in the new games room.

I can’t wait.

I love the idea of these things. I have been planning on building one, but I put it on hold as I have been contemplating buying a new house or building a new house. I will probably wait until I’m settled to start this project.

After that I’m gonna build a driving cabinet and then the driving cab and the virtual pinball can take pride of place next to my MAME cabinet in the new games room.

I can’t wait.

If only I had more room...a man can dream.

Wish we had basements in Australia.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
If only I had more room...a man can dream.

Wish we had basements in Australia.
One of the main reasons I am contemplating building a new house is so I can dig a big motherfucking hole and make it an underground arcade room/games room.

There’s a Youtuber I used to watch called John’s Arcade who has one and it makes me jealous as shit.

One of the main reasons I am contemplating building a new house is so I can dig a big motherfucking hole and make it an underground arcade room/games room.

There’s a Youtuber I used to watch called John’s Arcade who has one and it makes me jealous as shit.

Man I'd love to dig me a secret basement. But we live in a swamp and inevitable once a decade flooding would destroy it.

I like to have everything out and usable 24/7. Especially my toys. This is the state of the mancave. I've tried to maximize manchild toy space but something keeps bothering me. There has got to be a better arrangement so I could free up some room. Half the shelving and wardrobes I don't need. The projector needs to be bolted to the ceiling. There is a mess of old consoles and gadgets on the floors. There has got to be room for at least 1 full size pinball machine. I sort of killed potential space by placing the projector screen there. Nothing obtrusive can go on the side of it. I also need some open room in center for Vr/Vive.
VB2tGBb.jpg

Woah wait. What if I move the wardrobe to where the telescope is next to fridge. I open up the entire area there. Then wall the laundry area off again using the black shelving that's near projector screen. Then place TV behind the shelving where the wardrobe used to be. Then just turn that center single sofa to the right. Then I free up that entire section where the TV is next to arcade machine....Could fit another arcade machine there, and a mini pinball table. I'd also free up the narrow section next to the projector screen.

Photos help. I'm doing some re-arranging.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I like to have everything out and usable 24/7. Especially my toys. This is the state of the mancave. I've tried to maximize manchild toy space but something keeps bothering me. There has got to be a better arrangement so I could free up some room. Half the shelving and wardrobes I don't need. The projector needs to be bolted to the ceiling. There is a mess of old consoles and gadgets on the floors. There has got to be room for at least 1 full size pinball machine. I sort of killed potential space by placing the projector screen there. Nothing obtrusive can go on the side of it. I also need some open room in center for Vr/Vive.
VB2tGBb.jpg

Woah wait. What if I move the wardrobe to where the telescope is next to fridge. I open up the entire area there. Then wall the laundry area off again using the black shelving that's near projector screen. Then place TV behind the shelving where the wardrobe used to be. Then just turn that center single sofa to the right. Then I free up that entire section where the TV is next to arcade machine....Could fit another arcade machine there, and a mini pinball table. I'd also free up the narrow section next to the projector screen.

Photos help. I'm doing some re-arranging.
You’ve got plenty of room.

Don’t need that massive couch, dump it. A Coke crate will do.

Get rid of the dining table. Who needs to eat properly when you got a mini arcade?

The fridge can go outside.

Come on. Where are your priorities?

Sadly the fridge is not needed all year round, but we catch so much fish during the summer that we have to have it in reserve to store fish for ~4 months in the year. The small freezer isn't an issue, it's tiny. The couch is comfy and is absolutely necessary to enjoy projected films.

My priorities lie in comfort foremost, efficiency second. Some sacrifices have to be made in the name of efficiency. I do agree about that table, it does absolute jack shit, i just store random crap on it as you can see.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Sadly the fridge is not needed all year round, but we catch so much fish during the summer that we have to have it in reserve to store fish for ~4 months in the year. The small freezer isn't an issue, it's tiny. The couch is comfy and is absolutely necessary to enjoy projected films.

My priorities lie in comfort foremost, efficiency second. Some sacrifices have to be made in the name of efficiency. I do agree about that table, it does absolute jack shit, i just store random crap on it as you can see.
Boat fishing or jetty fishing?

We fish from the beach directly, and from a rocky breakwater which goes about 500m into the ocean. It's untouched in terms of fish stocks because our region lies on the 'scenic route' between two cities. i.e if you miss the exit on the motorway (which is poorly labeled) you miss the entire region. A nice paradise hidden away, right on the coast, comprising ~150,000 people across 30 suburbs.

A good catch:

rlsVVW0.jpg

For reference the fish here is gutted and weighed +30kg. Caught on beach.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
We fish from the beach directly, and from a rocky breakwater which goes about 500m into the ocean. It's untouched in terms of fish stocks because our region lies on the 'scenic route' between two cities. i.e if you miss the exit on the motorway (which is poorly labeled) you miss the entire region. A nice paradise hidden away, right on the coast, comprising ~150,000 people across 30 suburbs.

A good catch:

rlsVVW0.jpg

Noice. You caught that off the beach?! Not bad.

Shmunter

A good catch:

rlsVVW0.jpg

Looks like google censored your pic there

Mattyp

Gold Member
Best of luck, check out the aussiearcades forum to Tickles, I built a MAME arcade years ago and its invaluable for information and local help.

Built a full blown MAME machine I think at around 17 years old? So 13 years ago now. Still had to put a CRT TV screen it back then! LCD was just to expensive, Learnt so much, now I'm actually in the construction trade my quality would be 10x what it used to be but that was half the fun you'll have. The size of it when I moved out of mums at 19 or so meant I had to get rid of it sadly, very shortly I'll have the room in my next build to build a slim line one again finally and pinball machine, I'm still undecided on a real pinball or one of these so many pros and cons of each think I will have to give a digital one a full go. Can't wait to see yours. Wouldn't mind a full digital pokie setup to, I have two machines (Where's the gold & More chilli) sitting on the garage floor at the moment, they take up a massive amount of room and are noisy as outside their original enviroment so a bartop replacement for those would be nice down the line to.

Last edited:
Are you planning on making one this small?

First one will be this small. A bartop portable. Like I said I've only got the hardware lying around to drive a 1080p screen. I've looked around and 24 inches is all I'm willing to tolerate @ 1080p for the play area. Any bigger and the pixels get thicc. After this I will go with a 40+ inch 4k cabinet, but need to wait for my pc upgrade, still waiting on new ryzen.

Actually I'm going to try out both the 24 inch and a 32 inch 1080p for play area, see how they go. I have the option might as well make it slightly bigger if the pixel bump per square inch isn't too severe.

nkarafo

Awesome build. I have a list of ~100 tables that are actually fun/worthwhile. They more than justify such a setup. Most tables have been redone in 4k. I like the minimalist approach you took. I myself will probably stick with just ~50 of my favorite tables for this build.
Yeah, 4K remastering is nice for sure but it's the last thing i'm looking for to measure the good looking tables. Getting a VP9 or Future Pinball table and doing a straight 4K port to VPX without re-doing the 3D objects, plastics, lighting, etc, will still look bad IMO.

I never really cared about pinball and when my friend suggested we should make a pincab i wasn't interested even though he would pay for it (i was to invest my time setting up the software). But when i saw Diner playing on VPX (one of the most realistic looking tables, made by one of the most talented authors) i was impressed in how "real" it looks and feels. So my goal is to make something that looks as close to the real thing, which is why i don't care about VP9, Future Pinball or Pinball Arcade. Only the best looking VPX tables are allowed in my cab :p

Some great looking ones:

L86WssG.png

maxresdefault.jpg

8FHYgY3.jpg

QQXsTFG.jpg

Phrsq3l.png

maxresdefault.jpg

gx9AyVk.png

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I never really cared about pinball and when my friend suggested we should make a pincab i wasn't interested even though he would pay for it (i was to invest my time setting up the software). But when i saw Diner playing on VPX (one of the most realistic looking tables, made by one of the most talented authors) i was impressed in how "real" it looks and feels. So my goal is to make something that looks as close to the real thing, which is why i don't care about VP9, Future Pinball or Pinball Arcade. Only the best looking VPX tables are allowed in my cab :p
Do you have a video example?

nkarafo

Do you have a video example?
Got me while editing my post above ;)

Or you can watch the videos i posted in my first post. Though, videos can be deceiving with their low res, even bad tables look alright in Youtube.

Last edited:
Diner is a classic, of course those are all on my list. The Diner voice samples sound rough (when people order food) but that's on the original table as well. Should be remastered :)

Most of my stuff comes tomorrow. I can't wait to start tooling around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom