• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

Woohooo subscribed. I'll finally be able to dump and play VFX-2 on the go. Even Omega Boost maybe (I haven't seen it on US Store). Love and Destroy too!!

Joey Ravn

Banned
More than can fit on a 64GB card.

I consider Garou: Mark of the Wolves a must-own on any platform and it isn't out yet.

Thanks! But, shit, I'm sorry: I should have said "Vita exclusive". If I can play it on another platform, I will (unless it's PSP stuff). I own most of those games on other platforms, or they are not my cup of tea. Sorry! :p

I still have 28GB left on my 64GB card, so I can get some more Vita exclusives and leave the rest for some PSP games. I have quite a few games I've been picking up dirty cheap to play on my 2000, but the battery is so terrible I've been meaning to "migrate" my collection to my Vita. And for a time I had, but I had to update to download new stuff and lost my ARK and TNV bubbles...

As for PSX, the Vita is a great way to play those games, but I'm afraid to download games from the Spanish PSN Store, because many of them are in Spanish and Sony decided that this information is not important enough to be listed. Fooled me once with FFIX... never again (got it on Steam later on, though).

I'm really curious to see where this will take the Vita scene :)

HotHamBoy

Thanks! But, shit, I'm sorry: I should have said "Vita exclusive". If I can play it on another platform, I will (unless it's PSP stuff). I own most of those games on other platforms, or they are not my cup of tea. Sorry! :p

I still have 28GB left on my 64GB card, so I can get some more Vita exclusives and leave the rest for some PSP games. I have quite a few games I've been picking up dirty cheap to play on my 2000, but the battery is so terrible I've been meaning to "migrate" my collection to my Vita. And for a time I had, but I had to update to download new stuff and lost my ARK and TNV bubbles...

As for PSX, the Vita is a great way to play those games, but I'm afraid to download games from the Spanish PSN Store, because many of them are in Spanish and Sony decided that this information is not important enough to be listed. Fooled me once with FFIX... never again (got it on Steam later on, though).

I'm really curious to see where this will take the Vita scene :)

I mean, there aren't that many Vita exclusives... Severed just came out os iOS.

Shiren the Wanderer 5 just came out on Tuesday. That's a Vita exclusive in the West. You should get it. EDF 2 is, as well.

zewone

Hmm.. My Vita is on 3.60 and my PSTV is on the launch firmware for ePSP stuff.

I think it's time to updat the PSTV too.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I mean, there aren't that many Vita exclusives... Severed just came out os iOS.

Shiren the Wanderer 5 just came out on Tuesday. That's a Vita exclusive in the West. You should get it. EDF 2 is, as well.

Yeah, I guess I've covered all my bases. That's why I was asking, to see if there's any glaring absence on my list :)

So with this new hack do the same emulators and such work as they do on the PSP? Same file structure? Can I just go back to official firmware, no fuss no muss?

Joey Ravn

Banned
So with this new hack do the same emulators and such work as they do on the PSP? Same file structure? Can I just go back to official firmware, no fuss no muss?

It depends on how the emulators are implemented, really. If you have anything you don't want to lose, wait until the exploit is released tomorrow to see how it all unfolds.

spons

Gold Member
PS2 is very unlikely though, ya. Dreamcast seems like it should be doable however. Would Gamecube be possible as well with its simple architecture?

Since the Vita CPU runs at a meager 333 MHz I doubt any of those will be possible, ever. The New 3DS is much higher clocked, but I don't know how it compares in raw performance.

Since the Vita CPU runs at a meager 333 MHz I doubt any of those will be possible, ever. The New 3DS is much higher clocked, but I don't know how it compares in raw performance.

Aren't a lot of the good DC games Vita ports anyway? The only one I'd really want is Jet Set Radio and I have it on PS+.

Here's hoping the exploit is back ported to earlier firmware. I don't want to lose TN-V PSP access.

That said if it does allow for PSP stuff then I can finally update and play Cyber Sleuth which I bought without knowing the firmware requirements.

MrHoot

I just want an easy way to be able to emulate older consoles like on psp (but with a better capability). I dunno much about the state of emulators for stuff like snes, genesis or GB/GBA on vita but i'd love to have pointers on how to do it if this latest new thing allows it

Joey Ravn

Banned
I just want an easy way to be able to emulate older consoles like on psp (but with a better capability). I dunno much about the state of emulators for stuff like snes, genesis or GB/GBA on vita but i'd love to have pointers on how to do it if this latest new thing allows it

Well, RetroArch has already been ported to the Vita. Unfortunately, it's being distributed as a .velf package. HENkaku requires .vpk packages, so hopefully the RetroArch team begins packing the nightlies in this format in the next few days.

Chesskid1

Banned
Is anyone else's Vita not letting you install from the website? The install button is sitting there not doing any thing.

it is not released yet

t1469782800z1.png

Shaneus

Holy shit, this is epic news... especially right after my defeatist post only a handful of days ago.

Bit concerned about this:
How do I get it?
Visit https://henkaku.xyz from the built-in web browser on your PS Vita and press the “Install” button to install HENkaku. You must do this every time you reboot the console–that is, every time you turn the console off and on again.
But I think for whitelisting on PSTV, it won't matter because you can edit the files directly.

Will hold off on updating my 3.36 (I think?) Vita, still want to hold onto that for the time being to play PSP titles (it's my Lumines console).

Athreous

Does retroarch work on Henkaku?

If not, which emulators actually work?

I'm really interested in NeoGeo Games, like Garou :D, and snes/gba for metroid :D

hesho

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

tempting... my vita is still on stock firmware and same with my PSTV... Maybe i will finally update it. I just to be able to play my psp and ps1 games more then anything..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Can't wait. I'd love to use my Vita as much as my PSP.

I wonder if Sony will even bother updating the OS to block it.

Does retroarch work on Henkaku?

If not, which emulators actually work?

I'm really interested in NeoGeo Games, like Garou :D, and snes/gba for metroid :D

Anything that worked with Rejuvenate should work on HENkaku, so RetroArch and that one GBA emulator are a given.

We just have to wait for someone to port the N64 core of RetroArch over for Zelda and Banjo goodness :p

Aters

Will we be able to switch between regions without the huge pain in the ass? I use my Hong Kong and NA accounts equally often, and man that's almost as bad as 3DS.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So is this a native hack?

That's what I want to know. If it isn't a native (way to get a CFW) method, it's not worth the bother.

Okay, it is. Neat. Guess I need to grab my "hacked" systems and update them finally then.

spons

Gold Member
Wait. Should I make a dummy account? Some sites are saying that my account maybe banned?

This is one of my concerns actually. I have zero physical games - I went all digital on the Vita. If my account is banned everything's gone.

I suspect this is not going to be the case though. Sony might go the Microsoft route, that is: banning devices instead of accounts. During the piracy craze on the 360, only devices got banned from using Xbox Live, yet the accounts themselves weren't.

Blastoise

Banned
Yeah all my games on Vita are digital. So if I use a dummy account I won't be able to play them.

I guess I will just stick to my PSP for GBA Emulation.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I honestly don't see how (or why) Sony would ever ban anyone using this, considering no one was banned for using Rejuvenate or the ePSP exploits. Besides, it's not like you're going online with this or (for the moment) loading Vita games. Unless they "catch" you because you are showing "unofficial" software on your activity log... but that would be a super shitty move, even for Sony. I doubt they walk that extra mile just to find out who's been using homebrew. They'll probably just patch the exploit with the next firmware and forget about it.

I honestly don't see how (or why) Sony would ever ban anyone using this, considering no one was banned for using Rejuvenate or the ePSP exploits. Besides, it's not like you're going online with this or (for the moment) loading Vita games. Unless they "catch" you because you are showing "unofficial" software on your activity log... but that would be a super shitty move, even for Sony. I doubt they walk that extra mile just to find out who's been using homebrew. They'll probably just patch the exploit with the next firmware and forget about it.

My concern is that the exploit may be eventually used for those things, which could make any use of it on my part "suspicious".

I'm not going to give a company that permanently bans accounts for credit card chargebacks the benefit of the doubt.

Bittercup

Will we be able to switch between regions without the huge pain in the ass? I use my Hong Kong and NA accounts equally often, and man that's almost as bad as 3DS.
That's my biggest hope as well. I haven't seen any confirmation though yet.
Although this seems to be only for enabling homewbrew and not altering the actual system software like a custom firmware so I keep my expectations for that feature being available low.
But this is only the beginning. Who knows what will come out of it later on.

Top Bottom