• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

...I take it you're not a fan of roguelikes? :p

I'm honestly not sure how many patterns in Death Mode were truly impossible, though. Every time I thought that I'd put the game down and come back when my hands and mind were less tired, or figure out some new technique that would help me get the notes faster.

No real way to tell though, I guess...

I really didn't think it was that bad. It was actually the first platinum I've ever gotten! Took a little over three days...

I platinumed the game in about a day, but the only reason it took that long is because I kept getting situations where about 1 in every 20 attempts at a level would be POSSIBLE and then my hands would be sweaty or something and I'd miss the last note by thousandths of a second and I'd have to quit for fear of wanting to throw my Vita at the fucking wall.

Challenging games are fine. Scenarios where you'll die unless you do everything pretty much perfect -- also fine. Scenarios that cannot be won no matter how good you are? That's bad game design. The Death Mode level generator needed tweaking -- hell, even when it was possible, you needed to be just about perfect to complete it. I shouldn't have to try 35 times before one where I can actually win comes along and then if I die, there will be untold amounts of levels generated that just cannot be done.

And for the most part, a lot of Death Mode didn't have this problem in my experience. Just a few of the levels in 1 or 2 of the albums... and those levels? That's all I remember about it now -- the rage and frustration of having it not being possible. Absolute perfect runs and you're left with 2-4 notes you just could not get to in time. That's ridiculous.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
There was a sizeable update to Soul Sacrifice today:

New Fellow Sorcerer Chapter (Heretic Saviour)

MP updates:
You can now check players 'Magic and Life level" from the online room list.
Online room names can be longer.
You may now change an online room's settings from within the room itself.
You will now receive a notification when you become the host in a new room.
You may now check the pacts page from within an Online room, even if you are not the host.
You may now check other players' details even after readying for a quest.
Added more quickly selectable phrases to use in chat during quests.
The chat display will now open automatically when a joint cast spell or an area healing spell is initiated
In quest functionality: During quests, a compass will now display the general direction of enemies, allies, and archfiends.
You can now skip the animation that plays at the start of a quest by tapping the screen
When a joint cast spell or an area healing spell is initiated, all players will be notified with an icon.

Portraiture changes:
The "select offerings" menu layout has been changed.
A warning message will now appear when consuming boosted offerings in the "fuse offerings" menu
You may now check offering rewards, in addition to the pact title and monster name, from the list of phantom quests. use the triangle button to toggle the info.

Lore:
"Sanctuarium" has been added as an entry in "history and myth"

Other:
The version of the game can now be seen on the title menu
Other minor changes have been implemented

Bug fixes
Other minor bugs have been fixed

Number45

MP updates:
You may now check the pacts page from within an Online room, even if you are not the host.
The chat display will now open automatically when a joint cast spell or an area healing spell is initiated
In quest functionality: During quests, a compass will now display the general direction of enemies, allies, and archfiends.
You can now skip the animation that plays at the start of a quest by tapping the screen
When a joint cast spell or an area healing spell is initiated, all players will be notified with an icon.

Portraiture changes:
A warning message will now appear when consuming boosted offerings in the "fuse offerings" menu
You may now check offering rewards, in addition to the pact title and monster name, from the list of phantom quests. use the triangle button to toggle the info.

Lore:

Other:

Bug fixes
Is this a patch or is there more DLC to download?

ReaperXL7

im at the first Stealth inc boss, is there a way to get an S score? i nailed all the requirements and still got an A

Did you get three stars in all three catagories? There are ways in every level to shave seconds off your time, because the tough part for me is time. Though there have been quite a few levels with some clever booby traps, game is excellent, and its getting me in a stealth mood. Has anyone played the splinter cell essentials game? its on sale atm.

These sales lately are giving me some good vibes for PS4 pricing.

VanWinkle

Agreed -- can anyone who has S ranked 1-5 tell me how to avoid the stupid spotlight as you crawl through the gap back to the exit?

Hold on, I'll go back to it and check.

Edit: I don't know how to describe it so I recorded a video. Gave me an excuse to record a video anyway. I'll post it when it comes up.

true Gek

A sneak peek from what i will post tomorrow at about the 16 GMT+1

The screen was captured from my PS Vita ;)

SEc2naj.jpg

VanWinkle

15 hours 52 minutes I believe. (8am PST)

Alright, thanks. I was hoping for earlier, lol. :(

The wire netting looks impressive. The weapon not so much.
Can't wait, though!

Theres got to be a better solution for the time shift thing.
I also never know what all those abbreviations mean.

Haha, I know. About the weapon, it's supposed to be blurred. That's the effect it has. Not that it looks great, but it's intentional.

Sol1dus

Yes there is.
Again, there should never be a "THIS PATTERN IS COMPLETELY UNABLE TO BE COMPLETED".

Random in things like SH:BoM where the order of rooms and what's in them is not set? That's good. Increases variety, but doesn't prevent the player from being able to complete it.

Random things like Death Mode where I sat there for 5 minutes just doing "retry" because the game refused to generate a pattern that could be completed in the time limit? Terrible.

People aren't saying Death Mode is supposed to be easy. People are saying you should always have the chance to complete a Death Mode level. At least that's what I'm saying.

Bingo.

Every time I asked people how they did it they just said; "I just killed myself until the notes spawned close to each other every time"

mauaus

Yes there is.
Again, there should never be a "THIS PATTERN IS COMPLETELY UNABLE TO BE COMPLETED".

Random in things like SH:BoM where the order of rooms and what's in them is not set? That's good. Increases variety, but doesn't prevent the player from being able to complete it.

Random things like Death Mode where I sat there for 5 minutes just doing "retry" because the game refused to generate a pattern that could be completed in the time limit? Terrible.

People aren't saying Death Mode is supposed to be easy. People are saying you should always have the chance to complete a Death Mode level. At least that's what I'm saying.
Yup, this pretty much sums it up, i almost broke my vita multiple times too with times failed by 0.01 secs

omg_mjd

I think Atlus read my mind with the discounts. Been weeks since I finished P4G and I was thinking about getting into the old-school Personas. Getting Persona 2 for sure and *maybe* Persona.

Everyone should also check out P3P. Best story in a game ever, RPG or otherwise. It's a lot of hard work to earn that ending but it's worth it.

kassatsu

Banned
I might have some Killzone Merc direct capture footage for you all to watch when the embargo goes up. That is if Sony allows it.

wilflare

what did I miss.. seems like a megaton dropped or something..
and omg at that P4G price drop.
bought it at $30 it was helluva worth it

Grinchy

Banned
I seriously cannot believe the "Preparng to Download" glitch is still going on in the store. How many months has it been now? Does Sony even want people using the vita store or what

cyborg009

Banned

MP updates:

Portraiture changes:

Lore:

Other:

Bug fixes

Should I make a new thread for story portion ? Weird blog didn't say anything about it.

DirtyLarry

Why did I not preorder Stealth Bastard when it was only $7.99. What a dumbass.
Downloading now on my Vita. Ironically I have almost every other version of the game known to man, Mac & PC thanks to Humble Bundle, Android version as well, yet I never touched it. It was meant to be.

Also looking forward to that reveal above and some KZ footage.

omg_mjd

I seriously cannot believe the "Preparng to Download" glitch is still going on in the store. How many months has it been now? Does Sony even want people using the vita store or what

Yeah it's bizarre. Maybe if we started a rumor that the bug somehow enables homebrew...the glitch would get patched in 12-24 hours for sure. ;)

Top Bottom