• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

Novocaine

You guys get Kung Fu Rabbit yet?
Really fun platformer!

It was decent for the price I thought but I don't think I'll go back to it any time soon. The hazards felt like a cheap way to make the game difficult (ie: those spitter things that can shoot you even when you can't see them on the screen), and the controls were so floaty.

EMT0

Banned
Is Vita not powerful enough to play PS2 games? If it is indeed powerful enough, why wouldn't Sony allow PS2 games to be played on it? Because it is literally gonna be my handheld of forever if I can play PS2 games on it.

Right there with you, if the Vita was a PS2 emulator, it'd be the handheld of the forever. I wouldn't give a damn if another game never came out for it again.

Looking at this, it's 'theoretically possible' if the PS3 can emulate the PS2. As in, it should be possible, but no guarantees.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-/62161053

Time to start tweeting Shahid and asking who we should tweet about a PS2 emulator?

VanWinkle

It was decent for the price I thought but I don't think I'll go back to it any time soon. The hazards felt like a cheap way to make the game difficult (ie: those spitter things that can shoot you even when you can't see them on the screen), and the controls were so floaty.

The controls are floaty, but I never felt like I wasn't in control. Floaty doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing. I do agree that sometimes it's a little cheap, but I mean, five dollars, some challenging platforming. I think it's easily worth the price. But I'm a HUGE platformer fan.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How long does Muramasa Rebirth take to finish? I found a used copy at GameStop today, and I'd like to have some frame of reference as to better budget my time.

Rushed: 2 hours ~ 3 hours per character
Unrushed: 7 hours ~ 10 hours per character

JoshHood

Any idea on whether the hardware would actually be capable of emulating PS2 games, or whether Sony would be interested in local hardware emulation on the Vita?
The Vita is definitely not capable of native PS2 emulation no. The PS3 struggles from time to time. Gaikai is clearly the route for BC on Sony platforms now.

legbone

And rogue galaxy while we are rogueing it

fuck, for some reason that reminded me. ftl.

ok, so it's rogue legacy and FTL for me. since hotline miami came out that's it for now.

btw, how is stealth bastard. i have checked out some reviews but i still can't wrap my head around it. any pc guys in here that have played it?

edit: nevermind, i keep forgetting the search works worth a damn now.

Aytrial

Really enjoying DJ Max so far. I also suck really bad at it.

I got my copy on Monday and I share the same sentiments. I like the idea of touch-based rhythm games, but I suck so bad at it. This is coming from someone who has played Project Diva to death.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
DJ Max is so difficult :(

I mean, if you want to play it you can't hold Vita with one of your arms, you basically need to put your Vita on some flat surface and use both hands.

And then they go full stupid by putting the Fever button on the upper right part of the screen instead of putting it at the center of the screen, for example. (yea yea I know it can be activated with the O button but even then it is not ideal)

Edgeward

It would be better if any dpad input or any button/shoulder presses activated Fever. Would be much nicer for us right handed people

Or make the fever touch area way larger. Cause right now you gotta be precise to touch it mid combo

ReaperXL7

Alright Gaf, due to the somewhat poor update this week im considering a psp pickup but want some opinions.

the main games im considering are Cladun, Cladun X2, or one of the untold legends games.

Really kind of want a Dungeon Crawler and the native vita offerings are.....slim.

Both of the Cladun games look pretty cool imo, but it seems hard to find a proper review for them, so im not sure what the differences are between the first, and second game. I kind of like the look of the first game more from what I can tell, but I am assuming that X2 has allot more features/improvements etc.

mauaus

Im loving it, almost done with it though only a few levels to go on world 3 and 6 levels on the bonus ones

Any idea on whether the hardware would actually be capable of emulating PS2 games, or whether Sony would be interested in local hardware emulation on the Vita?

I was told about a year ago that they were going to look into ps2 emulation after they finished with the psone games, despite Yoshida saying on twitter that it wasn't happening. But since he did say that I never posted about it... and I haven't heard a peep about ps2 games since other than that they are going to be a big part of gaikai. So either they tried and failed or they decided not to try at all.

I guess you could also argue that they still haven't finished psone and psp emulation. Why can't I play crash, sony!?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Alright Gaf, due to the somewhat poor update this week im considering a psp pickup but want some opinions.

the main games im considering are Cladun, Cladun X2, or one of the untold legends games.

Really kind of want a Dungeon Crawler and the native vita offerings are.....slim.

Both of the Cladun games look pretty cool imo, but it seems hard to find a proper review for them, so im not sure what the differences are between the first, and second game. I kind of like the look of the first game more from what I can tell, but I am assuming that X2 has allot more features/improvements etc.

First off, if you can, try Adventure Bar Story that came out on PSM tonight. It's Free to play, with some micro-transactions if you want permanent weapons and mid-dungeon revival stuff. Might be a good option to scratch that itch.

Past that, O purchased Cladun 1 early in my Vita life cycte, mostly because I could play it Co-Op with my old PSP (which I gave to my brother), a feature I believe was dropped from X2.

It's a pretty cool game, though I almost felt it a bit bloated; All the character-team creation and such is a nice idea, but I didn't feel like it was NEEDED in the bit I played.

X2 seems to take the custom character stuff further, and the game seems like it's improved all around, except for the lack of ad hoc MP.

Legasista on PSN also seems to be a spiritual successor to them both, so that's an option if you wanna try something similar on PS3.

I've heard good things about Untold Legends, but never bothered to purchase either. I always got the feeling from the screens and gameplay, that their early-PSP-style 3D would feel kinda "meh" to me, but I haven't seen them in years, so don't know how I'd feel now.

Edgeward

7 hours in and I'm really enjoying Growlanser. It definitely has the old-school ps1 and earlier design of lots of walking and general structure and layout, and that's okay because I love it that way. Story is definitely engrossing, slowly evolving from stopping end of the world to a political struggle with being caught in the middle as pawns. A nice Suikoden II vibe.

I was told about a year ago that they were going to look into ps2 emulation after they finished with the psone games, despite Yoshida saying on twitter that it wasn't happening. But since he did say that I never posted about it... and I haven't heard a peep about ps2 games since other than that they are going to be a big part of gaikai. So either they tried and failed or they decided not to try at all.

I guess you could also argue that they still haven't finished psone and psp emulation. Why can't I play crash, sony!?

I was going to ask you this, as I read the post...

Do you have any idea why SCEA has it's head up it's ass regarding the PSOne games in the store and those that aren't "working"?

But apparently you have no clue either. :(

Ntsouls

Banned
I can't do Vita anymore.
I have a blue one and a white one and I'm getting rid of them. Anyone interested let me know. I have them on ebay.

ReaperXL7

So Mortimer, you got any contacts at SCEE, or are you pretty much just in with SCEA? Im sure many are curious as to if they should get hyped at all about Clarks comments about Gamescom. Personally im hoping for the best, but not expecting much.

wilflare

Hexyz Force™
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
Crimson Gem Saga™
Knights in the Nightmare™
Riviera™: The Promised Land
Yggdra Union™

which should I play first?

I started up Senran Kagura last night, finally. I imported it around the time it launched but just had too much of a backlog to get through. This game is crazy good. Really nice beat 'em up and it looks fantastic. Also, tits.

Shame the series looks like it'll never be localised. I'd like to try out the 3DS games too, but nope, dat region lock.

Takao

Banned
Watch out, the last time I complained about the Vita/button tax here, I got told to move out of my parent's basement and get a job. (Which doesn't even make sense, since when I didn't have to pay utilities and rent I had a lot more to spend on games).

I don't mind paying a little more, but in many cases, it's a lot more. Like Mystic Chronicles is $14.99, and I think it's $8 on the app store, and I know at least the Android games from Kemco are frequently on sale for much less.

A lot of the Kemco games have stiff translations so Natsume redid the entire game. Is it Vita compatible? I don't see it on the store.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
A lot of the Kemco games have stiff translations so Natsume redid the entire game. Is it Vita compatible? I don't see it on the store.

It's going to be Vita-compat on August 6th.. Was mentioned in this weeks release thread, by DiscoJer.

Takao

Banned
That's an interesting question and one I'd not really considered, and I suspect one that we won't ever know the answer to really. Is the Wii U easier to programme for? Are the dev kits cheaper? Is it cheaper to get onto eShop compared to PSN?

I don't know about ease of development or devkit prices but I'm sure a free Unity license with the devkit purchase, and the Nintendo web framework are enticing to indies.

I've noticed the 32gb card is £75 on Amazon UK. Is this rise an indication of them phasing these out and doing new prices/sizes?

Have Sony made ANY statements regarding the ridiculous price/low size of the cards?

Noi

EDF is on sale for $23.99. A bit shy of my $19.99 sweetpoint, but it's tempting.

Anyone know if the online is still active at all?

There's still dedicated folks plugging away at it, and if not, you can always rally fellow EDF-GAF troopers like myself to play!

Redhood

I am a bad vita bro by supporting turdy sony ports and shitty policies[not crossbuy in us; already have it digitally on ps3]!

But a huge ND fan! Lets see what the big deal is about
frame rate of J&D Collection obviously

9306999284_7dbfd899a5_c.jpg

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well while we are at it here my wishlist:

-Tons of localizations
-open world goodness(in particular: saints row, fallout, might & magic 6 port/remake or worthwhile direct sequel)
-managerial, strategy and tactics(in particular: sim city, xcom, starcraft, red alert, heroes of might & magic 3 port/remake or worthwhile direct sequel)
-chaos legion port/sequel/remake
-more space games
-yugioh tag force or similar game(but only if there are other activities other than dueling and i can see my opponent crying after a defeat lol)
-silent hill book of memories sequel with improvements and more realistic levels that are no more a simple rooms-corridor sequence but still randomly generated
-more 2d hd beat'em up goodness.
-psm huge improvements(more power above all)

EDIT:
-Wang yi returns: dynasty warriors 8 lol

No matter if those games are not AAA or not equal to their home console counterparts(like batman blackgate), well tbh it matters but whatever, the most important thing is that they should be exclusive(and good obviously).
I would be really happy with just 2 or 3 of those.

I don't mind paying a little more, but in many cases, it's a lot more. Like Mystic Chronicles is $14.99, and I think it's $8 on the app store, and I know at least the Android games from Kemco are frequently on sale for much less.
In the case of Mystic Chronicles though, I gather the mobile release had a poor translation, while the PSP release promises a significantly improved one by Natusme.

EDF 2017 at 23.99, is it time to jump in?
...I bought it at full price, and had a blast with the game...

------------------------
wanted
------------------------

- Crusader: no remorse
- TimeSplitters game (or a call of Duty or another nice online FPS)
- Breath of Fire (onoh Capcom)
- Okami + Okamiden
- new Rollcage
- Blur indeed, love that game <3
- Micro Machines
- more rpgs
- more indies!! :)

Akira_83

Banned
Control the AI, have fun the first time and don't worry about social links as much, do everything perfect the 2nd time. Yukiko is best Waifu, and make sure to grind a lot if you are playing higher than Normal, go out as much as possible at night and enjoy the interactions between characters.

Most of all... HAVE FUN! Very good game, best Vita ported game since launch IMHO.

wrong

Chie is best Waifu

Akira_83

Banned
I am a bad vita bro by supporting turdy sony ports and shitty policies[not crossbuy in us; already have it digitally on ps3]!

But a huge ND fan! Lets see what the big deal is about
frame rate of J&D Collection obviously

9306999284_7dbfd899a5_c.jpg

can you post impressions in here?

i honestly can overlook some framerate issues

my main concern is controls

i heard camera rotations are handled via back touchscreen so if thats true, instant no buy

i avoid all games i can that incorporate that stupid thing

FaceDa

Banned

Cladun X2 is better than the first in every way. Also they're very systems heavy if that's a turn-off.

Top Bottom