• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | July 2013 | Slow Month, Fast Games

Moobabe

Might pick up Virtua Tennis tomorrow - like 5 quid at work.Thoughts?

Oh god I'm top of the page... Ummm...

Get Tokyo Jungle Mobile, avoid Jak and Daxter and pre-order Stealth Inc!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

It's alright. Worth it at that price, but I gotta admit if I would have payed much more than that for it I'd have been a little pissed. Not my favourite VT game to say the least. The series is showing its age and I think the series in general needs a major overhaul. Still, for a fiver it should be worth it and you should get a decent amount of enjoyment out of it.

Tizoc

I already pre-order Stealth Inc, with a total of $3 discount off the total price haha.

Jennipeg

End of september should be the earliest for dragon's crown in europe, so don't get your hopes up.

Dissapointment at every turn... I'm a bit ashamed to say that I haven't played Persona 4 Golden yet, i've been pretty devoted to The Last of Us so my Vita has been put to the side. I should play that until Tearway comes out.

so i know it's not out yet... but have there been any inklings ( in impressions or previews) of which is the definitive version for Dragons Crown? vita or ps3? not sure which i should preorder.

so i know it's not out yet... but have there been any inklings ( in impressions or previews) of which is the definitive version for Dragons Crown? vita or ps3? not sure which i should preorder.
Well, PS3 would be good if you value couch co-op. But at the same time the art will look great on dat OLED.

So hard to choose. Really wish it was cross-buy. :(

Noi

I played the PS3 version at EVO, and I'd imagine picking up loot would be better/easier on the Vita version since you just have to tap the screen vs having to scroll a cursor to pick stuff up in the PS3 one. Other than that, they're both great!

I'm looking into arts based jobs (arts marketing etc) or normal marketing, PR - I've even applied for a job at Sony! Tried to get in touch with Shahid about how he made his way to his role (because his job sounds pretty awesome - outside of some GAF abuse)
Shahid's resume is on linkedin... He's got a pretty interesting background. Started as a C64 bedroom programmer in his teens (ported Jet Set Willy), made some cult games for Commodore platforms (Chimera, Floor 13), worked as a composer (Residen Evil Gaiden) and as producer for a while before ending up as an account manager at SCEE. Not an easy path to replicate I think.

Anyway, the best way into the games industry without a specific education seems to be QA. Several notable industry people got their start there, Adam Boyes for example.

I really want to play a dungeon crawler on my Vita, but there doesn't seem to be many (any?) PSP dungeon crawlers on the EU store.

And no I'm not buying Dungeon Hunter lol.

ReaperXL7

I really want to play a dungeon crawler on my Vita, but there doesn't seem to be many (any?) PSP dungeon crawlers on the EU store.

And no I'm not buying Dungeon Hunter lol.

It depends on what your looking for but I dont know whats on the EU store. These are the games I have( i have not played all of them extensively.

Cladun X2 very good imo, but can be fairly complex with reguards to its leveling system. I like art though, there is weapon, and character customization, and it seems like a huge number of dungeons to explore and loot to collect.

Untold legends 1, and 2. Only barely started the first, its not that bad honestly. The graphics are pretty weak by now as i think its a pretty early PSP game, but nice class selection, and fun for a hack and slash type crawler.

Unchained blades is more of the first person variety. Seems good so far, but can be pretty challenging.

I dont own either yet, but I have heard good things about ZHP the unlosing ranger (disgaea style dungeons crawler), and Class of Heroes 2 I have heard mixed things about.

Like I said I dont know.whats available to you though.

*Edit: Also if you have PS Mobile allot of people seem to like Adventure Bar Labyrinth.

AEREC

not sure which of the PLAY titles to get.
if they were all Cross-Buy it would be insta-get though...

Just getting Stealth Inc. here. Cloudberry Kingdom has the laziest artstyle Ive ever seen and the game does not look fun at all. Dont care too much for Duck Tales but if they ever remade Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers Id be all over that.

Elminage Original and Class of Heroes 2 should be up there, I think.
Neither are there. :(

It depends on what your looking for but I dont know whats on the EU store. These are the games I have( i have not played all of them extensively.

Cladun X2 very good imo, but can be fairly complex with reguards to its leveling system. I like art though, there is weapon, and character customization, and it seems like a huge number of dungeons to explore and loot to collect.

Untold legends 1, and 2. Only barely started the first, its not that bad honestly. The graphics are pretty weak by now as i think its a pretty early PSP game, but nice class selection, and fun for a hack and slash type crawler.

Unchained blades is more of the first person variety. Seems good so far, but can be pretty challenging.

I dont own either yet, but I have heard good things about ZHP the unlosing ranger (disgaea style dungeons crawler), and Class of Heroes 2 I have heard mixed things about.

*Edit: Also if you have PS Mobile allot of people seem to like Adventure Bar Labyrinth.
Out of all of those, Cladun x2 and ZHP are the only two on the EU store. Already played ZHP and Cladun x2 is £16 for some reason (although the first Cladun is £8). Cladun definitely does look pretty cool, though.

Gah, RIP Warrior's Lair. :( Maybe I'll just import Dragon's Crown and hope that scratches the itch.

branny

I played the PS3 version at EVO, and I'd imagine picking up loot would be better/easier on the Vita version since you just have to tap the screen vs having to scroll a cursor to pick stuff up in the PS3 one. Other than that, they're both great!
I was wondering about this today, like if the frame rates or visual effects are on par with one another. I've been having trouble finding a good comparison anywhere.

Need to decide which version to get first. Leaning Vita. =\

Sol1dus

Subscribed.

In all seriousness - why not? Go for it

:)

Moobabe, don't you work at GAME currently? Can I have your job then? haha

Currently jobseeking for crummy retail work for the summer since I need to transfer and retake a year of Uni. D:

Gaming YouTube stuff is probably gonna get even more saturated when next-gen hits and everyone and their mothers can make YouTube gaming videos, so if you want to do it then now would be the time; hopefully build up a decent subscriber base by the end of the year.

Also, VitaGAF podcast would be cool for a few episodes until we ran out of new games to talk about. :(
(please save us, Gamescom)
Yeah I was thinking about that the other day. YouTube is going to get super bloated next gen.

On topic about the podcast-
We could fill up the rest of the time bitching about Toto. XD

I'd watch it! ( just be ready for the horrible yt comments)

Oh yeah, those can be rough. I always feel bad when people are rude to people in videos.

I watched the latest E3 trailer for Dragon's Crown on my Vita just now. I really hope it looks just like that on the Vita. So beautiful.

Novocaine

Ended up finishing Hotline Miami earlier today. Was pretty good. I switched over and gave the PC version a whirl and I have to say the touch screen functionality made the Vita version play much better IMO.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Ended up finishing Hotline Miami earlier today. Was pretty good. I switched over and gave the PC version a whirl and I have to say the touch screen functionality made the Vita version play much better IMO.
You mean for the camera control? I didn't use the touchscreen for much else.

jengo

Hoooleeeey crap this game took a chunk out of my weekend gaming schedule! Out of no where too! Very high replay value, lots of items and a while it looks very basic it has some layers of depth to surprise you with. I would much prefer a paid version to just be done with microtransaction currency stuff, but I think I'll just buy enough to get me the sword and shield that stays in your inventory even when you die in the labyrinth.

I didn't mess around with Adventure Bar Story much, just didn't grab me. But since Spelunky is MIA for god knows how long, this will scratch the Vita rogue-like itch just fine.

As a side note, the localization is pretty good. But once in a while I see stuff >_<
6LJK1me.jpg

Do not buy this game. You will never, EVER be able to erase the 5 second music loop from your brain.

Sorry, there are no good dungeon crawlers available on Vita at present.
Damn youuuu, my brain hasn't suddenly played that song back since 2006!

I remember during my Pre-Calculus final exam junior year that I couldn't stop "hearing" that awful MIDI sub-SNES quality track. It was more torturous than the test itself.

WORLDTree

how much is that Adventure Bar Game
GAH... I should buy Stealth before the PLAY discount is off

It's free that's the best part! Or the worst because it features micortransactions, though they're non-invasive in my opinion, otherwise it's a really solid, full-featured rougelike.

WORLDTree

Adventure Bar Labyrinth has pretty much every staple of the genre, rusting, hunger, limited inventory, projectiles, randomly generated dungeons etc. Plus the single dungeon versus towns approach of a game like Shiren makes it real tense when you venture into a new layer of floors and get in way over your head and know you're going to lose your Master Sword +8 because no Escape Book has spawned ;_;

VanWinkle

For some reason I'm just completely addicted to Kung Fu Rabbit. It's really curing my platformer itch. It gets SO hard in some of the levels. After you play through them all, you get a remixed version of all 80 levels that are way harder. So that's what I'm working on now.

Takao

Banned
Well, PS3 would be good if you value couch co-op. But at the same time the art will look great on dat OLED.

So hard to choose. Really wish it was cross-buy. :(

From a publisher's perspective Cross Buy makes no sense. Vita and PS3 do not run on the same hardware. It costs money to make a Vita version, why give it away for free when it's shown to have a neglible effect on retail sales?

Takao

Banned
Hoooleeeey crap this game took a chunk out of my weekend gaming schedule! Out of no where too! Very high replay value, lots of items and a while it looks very basic it has some layers of depth to surprise you with. I would much prefer a paid version to just be done with microtransaction currency stuff, but I think I'll just buy enough to get me the sword and shield that stays in your inventory even when you die in the labyrinth.

I didn't mess around with Adventure Bar Story much, just didn't grab me. But since Spelunky is MIA for god knows how long, this will scratch the Vita rogue-like itch just fine.

As a side note, the localization is pretty good. But once in a while I see stuff >_<
6LJK1me.jpg

I thought I was done with French giving me headaches when I graduated from high school. PlayStation Mobile has taught me otherwise.

Massa

From a publisher's perspective Cross Buy makes no sense. Vita and PS3 do not run on the same hardware. It costs money to make a Vita version, why give it away for free when it's shown to have a neglible effect on retail sales?

This is not what publishers that actually make money, like Valve, have realized.

The cost of making two versions is irrelevant once you decided to make two versions. As far as Cross Buy goes, what really matters is:

- how many sales do you lose from double dippers?
+ how many sales do you gain by offering a more attractive package at a single price?
+ how many people that would've spent $40 on your game decide to spend $60 instead to get the two versions?

In the case of Rayman I'm buying it on Vita only, so Ubisoft is getting $40 from me. They would have gotten $60 by offering Cross Buy.

Top Bottom