• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Nah, bro.

This is the leader we need.

RhJmSF9.jpg

O'MALLEY

makes me think go that everlast song....

My name is Officer O'Malley. I'll shoot you in the alley, and burn you like a cross at a fucking klan rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zozR-WQifbA

I mean, I agree, but... who is this person? None of the younger Democrats are especially close to Sanders. The Democrats have the same problem as Labour does in the UK - the party became an ideological monoculture and slowly strangled out any alternative kind of thought. All the younger candidates tend to be very clearly Clintonites ideologically, just as most of the younger Labour candidates ended up being Blairites (or Brownites) ideologically. When the mood for change arrived, in Labour, it had to pick up one of the few remaining 'fossils' of an older ideology, since everything new had been squeezed out. You see the same problem with the Democrats - there is no young Bernie.

Almost the entire Democratic field of candidates is pretty poor. All of them represent the liberal intelligentsia, come from excellent universities/law schools, live in relatively urban areas, and represent a totally different class to the type of voter that went Obama -> Trump.
Keith Ellison is the only one in particular who comes to mind.

He's the only Bernie supporter with some experience while also not being a hundred like Rick Nolan or Raul Grijalva. Pramila Jayapal is another but she's only just been elected to Congress. Otherwise the list of his supporters who are in government are either old fogeys like Nolan or too little institutional power.

jstripes

Banned
Bernie needs to sail off to Valinor so the Democrats can peacefully do some soul searching and find a real candidate.

Bernie Sanders is already doing some organizing stuff preparing for 2020. If he is lucid and fit, age won't be a problem. Sorry liberals, it will be your turn to show party unity heh

Nina Turner. Look her up. She IS Bernie 2.0. She DOES have the credentials in front of any progressive. She DOES have the "genuine" thing going for her. She has the anti-corporate money thing going for her. She has the single payer thing going for her.

She would win handily against Trump, even after accounting for the 30%+ racist base of voters that will always vote Republican.

Gotcha. Sadly I could see HIllary-GAF staying home if it is not a pragmatic Clinton-endorsed corporate puppet running on the Dem side.

Too strong and principled for you?

Keep dreamin' your dreams, guy.

Marvie_3

Banned
Anyway I really haven't been impressed with him since the election. He has the opportunity to put himself in the leadership role and a public one but continues to dodge putting criticism on the GOP/Trump and puts up friendly fire as much as he speaks out. Personally I think Al Franken has shown himself to be a better leader in being vocal and standing up to Trumpism.
Id love to see Franken run.

Bernie needs to find someone younger to pass the torch to for the long run.

Havok1313

I really really think we need someone under 40. But we also need to replace most of Congress with people under 40 to ever get some real change going.

Bernie Sanders is already doing some organizing stuff preparing for 2020. If he is lucid and fit, age won't be a problem. Sorry liberals, it will be your turn to show party unity heh

Hey if he runs and gets the nomination he gets my vote

I just hope he is more articulate than usual. I didnt find his repetitive commentary appealing even though thats what you do in a campaign

Maybe i just need to find more nuanced interviews were he can go into more detail

I just never felt Bernie was a true expert on the topics of his messaging with the "blah blah blame wall street and billioinaires" for all our problems even if its the truth

My guess- if Bernie doesn't run, the Progressives might look to Tulsi Gabbard. She's pretty good outsider of her Islam criticism and her odd history of nationalism which will probably be hit hard, especially in the Primary.

Why would progressives look to a candidate that is clearly not progressive?

fhqwhgads

Age is easily a concern but I think Bernie would be good enough. The main problem is the party itself, which I'm sure won't fully support him up until 2020 and will flip flop through several choices until then. Considering how the party went all in with Hillary, there's a good chance they'll not learn their mistakes and go for a candidate that falls in line closer to her and the overall consensus of what the party wants most, not thinking about the public perception.

At the same time there's also the worry of Bernie falling into the same trap of Hillary and becoming damaged goods. He's already got some picking points you can make to discredit him, and being the man who got beaten by Hillary to the nominee isn't a good start either. Bernie would need to keep himself in the right and not hog too much spotlight, lest he become an easy target for critics and get a negative perception in the public eye.

I really think they need a white dude. They need someone that can go toe to toe with Trump without coming across as a "bitch"

How about we not tell women they shouldn't run because people might call them bad names if they hurt poor little Trump's feelies

A woman can absolutely win the presidency. Hillary Clinton, like the most hated politician ever by the GOP and someone who was slandered for decades and who wasn't a very charismatic person, won the popular vote and barely lost the election.

Someone younger, more charismatic and not public enemy number 1 to the GOP could win.

Bernie didn't do well with minority voters last time, but he's gone way up in popularity with them since the primary and currently holds a 73% approval rating among AA. Can we drop this nonsense?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...nders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician

I obviously have no idea how he would do with AA voters in a hypothetical 2020 primary, but it's amazing how hard it is for many of the ardent pro-Clinton/anti-Sanders people to grasp the simple concept that it was possible for people to vote for Clinton without disliking Sanders.

And obviously, Clinton's performance with AA voters in the primary didn't translate to enthusiasm for her in the general election.

I would be OK if Bernie was senate majority leader and Warren was VP. Of course Id like one of them as straight up president, but both of them should be elevated more.

.JayZii

Banned
I don't care if he's too old. Democrats need to pick someone who is popular and connects with people. Whether or not that ends up being Bernie, they can't keep doing the same shit and just hope that Trump has buried himself for them.

Hopefully we won't be in another war by 2020 to further complicate things.

Lil Marco

Banned
We need more Kamala Harris support in this thread brah

Unless there is something about her that I am missing

She is the real deal.

The Nazis (right wing america) will tear her apart though- a black man was bad enough, a black woman running for POTUS is like their ultimate trigger

Someone younger, more charismatic and not public enemy number 1 to the GOP could win.

As soon as someone appears to be a front-runner, the vitriol gets turned to them. In an authoritarian world, the next step is violence.

It may be why some aren't going to run. Particularly if they have younger kids who would also be in the spotlight.

Toxi

Banned
Like who? Democrats got nobody worthwhile right now.
It's 3 years until the next general election.

The current President of the United States wasn't even considered as a candidate in 2013
because what sort of idiot would vote for Donald Trump?
As an outsider I always thought Nancy Pelosi was gonna be the dems pick for 2020. That not happening?
She's not interested. She's incredibly unpopular with moderates. She's got years of attack ads on her. Yeah it's not happening.

kirblar

As soon as someone appears to be a front-runner, the vitriol gets turned to them. In an authoritarian world, the next step is violence.

It may be why some aren't going to run.
It's why you keep your head down in the run-up to the primaries and why the Dems succeed with candidates who don't have much of a national profile prior to the run.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't quite get the age complaint.

Did people think that if he won in 2016, he wasn't going to run again in 2020?

I realize it could be much more of an issue in 2024 but who gives a damn? He's a good man who could do a lot for the country in 4 years, never mind 8. And if he has a good shot at winning in 2020, that's all that matters at this point.

The Democrats don't have a strong line-up at this point if Bernie is a heavy favorite going in. I think he would come in 2nd place again if he ran.

weekev

Banned
Good lord, just how far outside are you?

That is not happening in a billion years.
Uk dunno why I had her down as the next dem candidate, she seems to be the only opposition voice that ever makes the news over here. Defo think someone should be leading the opposition charge though and creating a unified front sooner rather than later to get a bit of momentum built up. Trump has started his 2020 campaigning already...

Laieon

As someone who preferred Bernie over Hillary (although I voted for Hillary when it actually mattered), I wouldn't mind seeing him on a ticket with him as VP and someone younger running for president. If his heart is still in it at 80, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be relevant.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Democrats don't have a strong line-up at this point if Bernie is a heavy favorite going in. I think he would come in 2nd place again if he ran.

He is one of the most popular politicians in the country. If he ran in 2020, he would have a very good shot at the nomination.

Uk dunno why I had her down as the next dem candidate, she seems to be the only opposition voice that ever makes the news over here. Defo think someone should be leading the opposition charge though and creating a unified front sooner rather than later to get a bit of momentum built up. Trump has started his 2020 campaigning already...

The GOP successfully used her as a bogeyman to help thwart a Democrat (who has very little to do with her at all) from winning a district.

It may be why some aren't going to run. Particularly if they have younger kids who would also be in the spotlight.

Pull an Obama and don't make it obvious that you're going to run until you do.

Rayis

I don't care who it is as long as they get us out of this nightmare, I'm going to be like Republican voters and fall in line with any Democratic candidate, that's our only hope for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom