• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Uk dunno why I had her down as the next dem candidate, she seems to be the only opposition voice that ever makes the news over here. Defo think someone should be leading the opposition charge though and creating a unified front sooner rather than later to get a bit of momentum built up. Trump has started his 2020 campaigning already...
She's the minority leader in the House, it's a dead-end position.

They're clearly working on a unified plank- Sanders is suddenly talking about a Public Option.

Bolivar687

Banned
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/hillary-clinton-is-running-for-president-again-214766

GAF, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you have any say whatsoever in who will receive the nomination in 2020. That's because Hillary Clinton is going to buy it again. She's going to use her shady connections to blackball her would-be opponents, her Clinton Foundation millions to bury the rest underneath a mountain of salacious attack ads, and her supporters on Neogaf will systematically single out, dogpile, ridicule, insult, shame, and, ideally, permanently ban anyone with the gall to mention her lifetime of documented unethical conduct. She's going to talk down to normal Americans about their values, divide us in ways we never thought imaginable and, ultimately, lose her third bid to seize the Presidency, for the second time against Donald J. Trump, of all people. And this time she won't blame sexism, Russians, or the DNC. She's going to blame you.

And there's nothing any of us can do to stop this from happening.

Camwi

The man seems sharp to me, so I don't see what his age has to do with it, unless his mental capacities drop off a cliff in the next four years.

Lotto

gALcUKb.gif

SummitAve

Banned
I could get behind him, but I'd rather vote for Klobuchar or Gillibrand. It'ss going to be impossible for Bernie to get anything passed though.

Bernie didn't do well with minority voters last time, but he's gone way up in popularity with them since the primary and currently holds a 73% approval rating among AA. Can we drop this nonsense?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...nders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician

Not only that, it makes no sense that just because minorities preferred Hillary, they would vote Trump over him in the general.

Not to say Bernie couldn't do a lot better when it comes to addressing minority communities.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This is disgustingly sexist. The median Sanders voter was a woman, but thanks for erasing their political voice by assuming the default Sanders vote was male.
lol what is this? I say this as a female Bernie supporter, this post is ridiculous and reeks of parody...

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/hillary-clinton-is-running-for-president-again-214766

GAF, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you have any say whatsoever in who will receive the nomination in 2020. That's because Hillary Clinton is going to buy it again. She's going to use her shady connections to blackball her would-be opponents, her Clinton Foundation millions to bury the rest underneath a mountain of salacious attack ads, and her supporters on Neogaf will systematically single out, dogpile, ridicule, insult, shame, and, ideally, permanently ban anyone with the gall to mention her lifetime of documented unethical conduct. She's going to talk down to normal Americans about their values, divide us in ways we never thought imaginable and, ultimately, lose her third bid to seize the Presidency, for the second time against Donald J. Trump, of all people. And this time she won't blame sexism, Russians, or the DNC. She's going to blame you.

what is this lol

This is good parody.

Kanye? He'd most likely run as a dem if he actually does run. But I can't see him getting past primaries. Then again many said the same about Trump.....

If she actually does run again, and the DNC actually lets her become the Dem nominee, then they deserve all the losses that will come their way.

I really don't see her running again tho.

Abelard

Fuck it, if he runs again I will vote for him again. Put Warren as VP and we get a solid backup even if Bernie kicks the bucket/retires.

legacyzero

Banned
Bernie needs to sail off to Valinor so the Democrats can peacefully do some soul searching and find a real candidate.
How's that soul searching goin right now. The party is still corporatist, their message is "RUSSIA!" And the DNC head runs on bullshit platitudes and no substance. Going well!
Bernie didn't do well with minority voters last time, but he's gone way up in popularity with them since the primary and currently holds a 73% approval rating among AA. Can we drop this nonsense?

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...nders-countrys-most-popular-active-politician
This has always been a strange narrative against Bernie. Always makes me chuckle.
Why would progressives look to a candidate that is clearly not progressive?
Progressives love her for one. And how is she not?

2005 is a fun time to look back to

"If Hillary runs Hillary wins—simple as that. She's doing all the right things, going to all the right states, building up political chits, and steering for the middle. She has to convince the 'nervous Nellies' in the party though that she's not a totally polarizing figure and that she can win the general [election]."

"She is beloved in the party from the grass roots to K Street. It would take a cataclysmic failure on her part to lose the nomination."

"No one in the Democratic field can beat her—she can only lose it."

"Yes, she'll get the nomination, and she stands an excellent chance of becoming President—neither because of nor in spite of her gender, name, or background. She'll wage a smart, tough campaign. She'll face what every other Democrat would face—a divided country in need of a leader, not just someone who expects others to follow."

"Senator Clinton will be the first woman to be a competitive Democratic contender and she will take off like a rocket. No one can stop her unless the Democratic primary process is changed to reduce the impact of front-loading."

"If Hillary runs, yes, she will be the nominee. Why? Liberal women will have to hold their noses on some of her moderate positions (for example, Iraq), because she is truly the first female presidential frontrunner in history. Enough moderates will find her palatable to make it difficult for some of the true New Democrats (Bayh, Warner, and Richardson) to differentiate themselves from her without appearing far too conservative for most Democratic activists. She'll raise more money than anybody (Kerry will do OK, and Warner has a lot of personal wealth, but neither can match Hillary). She has more name recognition than anybody who hasn't lost an election recently (Kerry, Edwards), and maybe more than those that have. She's charismatic, and has some pretty solid political advice a phone call away. In fact, if she runs, what is the compelling case others will make that she can be defeated for the nomination?"

"Yes, if Hillary Clinton runs I definitely believe that she will win the nomination. No one will be able to compete with her financially."

"If Hillary wants it—and she sure looks like she does—she's the odds-on favorite to run away with the nomination. If you're Kerry or Edwards, you can't make a dent and you have nowhere to go but down; you're irrelevant. A new voice will emerge to challenge her from the center, someone in the mold of Virginia's Warner."

"Yes, she should run. (After all, she is their strongest candidate.)"

"Hillary will win the nomination: those who control the nomination process will think happy days are here again for the Democrats."

He is one of the most popular politicians in the country. If he ran in 2020, he would have a very good shot at the nomination.

I didn't say he wouldn't have a good shot. He had a decent shot last time but folks who control the liberal party didn't want him.

They don't agree with his policies and don't think he can win. So, I think he would run up against the same arguments again and come up short unless he had that political revolution he kept harping about.

legacyzero

Banned

In nodding so hard right now. And there is a possibility she'll run again. God help us all.

NYR

We need a 35 year old President. A Generation Y President.
No, no we don't. 99.99999% of 30 year olds couldn't run a fortune 500 company let alone a country. There are only two Fortune 500 CEOs of that age - Mark Zuckerberg and Keith Cozza

We need a JFK (43), Clinton (46) or Obama (47), someone with actual life experience.

How's that soul searching goin right now.

decently, for a party that's been out of power slightly longer than the shortest successful human gestation period.

not well, by any other standard. but, like, this happens. the democrats were in the wilderness for a generation after the civil war, then the years around WW1 were a clusterfuck of party swaps, then the GOP was in the wilderness for a generation after the depression, and now we have another clusterfuck of party swaps.

Progressives love her for one.

don't insult me.

jstripes

Banned
How's that soul searching goin right now. The party is still corporatist, their message is "RUSSIA!" And the DNC head runs on bullshit platitudes and no substance. Going well!

The DNC is a complete shit show right now, but the spectre of Bernie perpetually looming guarantees no real progress will be made even if they get their heads on straight.

That's not really fair to the current dems. They've had to transition to being an opposition party and I think they're doing OK. It's true that their message is muddy beyond "not Trump" but that's also a very important message to push right now.

Why would the DNC ever get behind someone that wants to get tons and tons of money out of politics? its a freaking industry of consultants, etc, and thats why they will never get behind him.

norm9

America might be better off if Sanders kicks the bucket in the hopes of his followers moving on, but then Ghost Bernie 2020 might gain traction.

legacyzero

Banned
Let's start with how she is a progressive without saying "Bernie Sanders."

Give this a read as well:
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/tulsi-gabbard-president-sanders-democratic-party
Understood on that- but the same people that are telling me that "votes are what matters!" When Hillary was attacked on LGBT issues (which to me is the roughest part to read in that article) back in the 90s. Hell even looking at conservative type stances on abortion. Weren't both Hillary and Tim Caine Pro-Life , but votes with the party on abortion rights?

When I challenges stances like that, I was told "people evolve!"

Lol of course you are.
Of course. I've never been shy about my support, but hat post was somehow a little validating TBH
Crazy agrees with crazy.
???

I feel like people aren't seeing the same decimated Democratic Party I'm seeing. It's worrying

I really, really doubt Clinton will run again, but even if she did, I can't imagine that she would win the primary. The narrative of her inevitability and electability has been completely demolished.

I really, really doubt Clinton will run again, but even if she did, I can't imagine that she would win the primary. The narrative of her inevitability and electability has been completely demolished.

If she did run again nd blew it, she would be burned at the stake for a generation or more along with the family name She's not dumb enough to risk it.

As someone who preferred Bernie over Hillary (although I voted for Hillary when it actually mattered), I wouldn't mind seeing him on a ticket with him as VP and someone younger running for president. If his heart is still in it at 80, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be relevant.

Yep

I also voted for Hiillary because I didnt want to see America burn

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Progressives love her for one. And how is she not?

No they don't. There's a clear split among bernie supporters about Gabbard. She's mostly popular with the Bernie voter turned Trump voter crowd as the burn it all down populist. Not the progressives.

if clinton runs again and finishes in the top 2, i'm going to light my computer on fire and record it. the idea that she's going to willingly go through this shit again, rather than endorse someone who isn't a zillion years old with enough baggage to fit in a mcmansion, is a politico writer's fever dream.

Bernie doesn't use political consultants??

Do people think Bernie ran his entire campaign by himself??

you'll have to excuse them. with some of weaver's decisions last year, he might as well have been

Why would the DNC ever get behind someone that wants to get tons and tons of money out of politics? its a freaking industry of consultants, etc, and thats why they will never get behind him.

Bernie doesn't use political consultants??

Do people think Bernie ran his entire campaign by himself??

legacyzero

Banned
don't insult me
I meant generally. Of course there are some in the party that are Aware that she has issues. As a matter of fact, it was GAF that alerted me to Tulsi's issues. She's not my prime choice.
The DNC is a complete shit show right now, but the spectre of Bernie perpetually looming guarantees no real progress will be made even if they get their heads on straight.
That's just completely unfounded though. It makes not sense to me
That's not really fair to the current dems. They've had to transition to being an opposition party and I think they're doing OK. It's true that their message is muddy beyond "not Trump" but that's also a very important message to push right now.
They lost an election because they had no meaningful message other than "Trump is a scumbag!" THats so fucking obvious!! Voters don't give a shit about that. Saying "I like good things and hate the bad things!" Isn't substance. It's platitudes and empty rhetoric. They are completely disconnected from the voter. They need to be talking ISSUES. Not Russia, and not "TRUMP BAD."
How unsurprising
What am I of not consistent ❤️
America might be better off if Sanders kicks the bucket in the hopes of his followers moving on, but then Ghost Bernie 2020 might gain traction.
This is funny but probably untrue. Something I'm probably guilty of as well. Fanaticism for political candidates baffles the shit out me. That counts Hill supporters, Bernie-Croats, and Trumpsters alike.

A president shouldn't have "fans". They should have Citizens that hold them accountable to EVERYTHING, regardless of their vote. Really got now, presidential support seems like video game console wars. People supporting a console regardless of glaring flaws.

For instance- people saying Bernie wasn't good for minorities is liquid bullshit. But I agree that if you Primary message is "THE TOP ONE PAHCENT!!" Isn't going to win them over that easy. I've criticized that. Still do

Neoweee

"Too liberal. Ultimately I think that the Right will want to use her as a liberal icon—a symbol of how Democrats are out of step with regular people. I don't think that task is as easy as it sounds. She isn't very liberal and she knows how to articulate her ideas and how they are grounded in her core values."

Oh, those were the days.

If she had won the nomination in 2008, she would have won the general election, just based on how tilted the fundamentals were in favor of the Democrats. It was a close primary, but she lost to the best candidate of either party of my entire lifetime.

Ah, some more juicy comments:

"Her persona, but that's really an excuse for she's too liberal, too Clinton, too tough for a woman, too calculating, too ambitious (all of which translates to she's a girl not a boy).

"While it's difficult to pick just one, Hillary's gender will more than likely be the biggest obstacle to her becoming President. The bottom line—with such uncertainty in foreign and world affairs, the United States will not elect a woman to be the leader of the free world."

They lost an election because they had no meaningful message other than "Trump is a scumbag!" THats so fucking obvious!! Voters don't give a shit about that. Saying "I like good things and hate the bad things!" Isn't substance. It's platitudes and empty rhetoric. They are completely disconnected from the voter. They need to be talking ISSUES. Not Russia, and not "TRUMP BAD."

they're talking issues. half the damn house caucus is signed onto HR 676. the senate caucus is starting to go in that direction.

the media is, as usual, not covering the issues (peep how little attention they're giving to a bill that will upend 1/6 of the economy and result in thousands of preventable deaths, for fuck's sake), because russia's still getting them absurd ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom