• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox: Bernie Sanders is the Democrats’ real 2020 frontrunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarydax

Banned
Progressives love her for one. And how is she not?

Bannon and Spencer both like her (she refused to condemn the former, so no surprises there). She was one of the only Democrats under serious consideration for a job in the Trump administration, next to Joe Manchin. She used taxpayer money to go on a trip to visit Assad and raised doubts about his attacks on civilians. Anyone who didn't like Hillary for being a flip flopper should hate Gabbard considering her change in stance on abortion and gay rights (as for the latter, the LGBT caucus endorsed her primary opponent for obvious reasons). Don't insult progressives by claiming they generally love someone like Gabbard.

If the only thing she had done differently in her career was endorse Hillary, you wouldn't be going out of your way to defend her.

Clinton is not going to run again. She's barely made a peep since the election. I don't think you can recover from a loss like that.

Understood on that- but the same people that are telling me that "votes are what matters!" When Hillary was attacked on LGBT issues (which to me is the roughest part to read in that article) back in the 90s. Hell even looking at conservative type stances on abortion. Weren't both Hillary and Tim Caine Pro-Life , but votes with the party on abortion rights?

When I challenges stances like that, I was told "people evolve!"

If you're fine with using that defense that's cool I guess. Just seems a little hypocritical given your complaints with Clinton. Plus that article talks about her personal stances going all the way back to 2015. That's a quick evolution on her part.

Not to mention the fact that she's loved on the right wing as well. Bannon has spoken favorably of her and she even met with them when she was eyed for a cabinet position.

I'm very confused about what people actually like about her.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
He's not running for Pope. You can't have an octogenarian in the White House.

Job's far too demanding.
You can also have Trump who might as well be 80+, considering how he works towards keeping himself fit.

The only people who want Clinton to run again are Republicans.... she won't do it and furthering the discussion on it is just a waste of time

With that said there is almost no chance Bernie will run again either, and he shouldn't even if he wanted to. We need fresh, new, younger and charismatic people at the forefront of the party. That's not me being ageist, that's me wanting a win.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I wish the Democratic party had more front-runners and stand out candidates. God they're so bad at that... the GOP has millions of people dying to be the President. But no one on the Democratic side seemingly cares about it.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I hope we are done fighting about who will win the 2016 primary by then, or things are going to get confusing

Tulsi Gabbard represents one of the most liberal districts in the country and has consistently been a moderate to center-left vote in the party while in office.

She's not a progressive and literally the only reason people are calling her a progressive is because she resigned from her position at the DNC to support Bernie in the primary.

They lost an election because they had no meaningful message other than "Trump is a scumbag!" THats so fucking obvious!! Voters don't give a shit about that. Saying "I like good things and hate the bad things!" Isn't substance. It's platitudes and empty rhetoric. They are completely disconnected from the voter. They need to be talking ISSUES. Not Russia, and not "TRUMP BAD."
What issues should they be talking? They're an opposition party! The GOP isn't working with them on jack shit. There's no bipartisanship here, so even if they did have a legislative platform, it'd all be for show. Russia is an extremely important issue for the entire nation. It's not an unpopular investigation at all. They've been plenty clear in their opposition to the GOP health bills and tax plans. I have no idea what you reasonably expect from them.

Bannon and Spencer both like her (she refused to condemn the former, so no surprises there). She was one of the only Democrats under serious consideration for a job in the Trump administration, next to Joe Manchin. She used taxpayer money to go on a trip to visit Assad and raised doubts about his attacks on civilians. Anyone who didn't like Hillary for being a flip flopper should hate Gabbard considering her change in stance on abortion and gay rights (as for the latter, the LGBT caucus endorsed her primary opponent for obvious reasons). Don't insult progressives by claiming they generally love someone like Gabbard.

If the only thing she had done differently in her career was endorse Hillary, you wouldn't be going out of your way to defend her.

The Hawaiian LGBT Caucus STILL doesn't like Tulsi at all.

Wilsongt

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/hillary-clinton-is-running-for-president-again-214766

GAF, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you have any say whatsoever in who will receive the nomination in 2020. That's because Hillary Clinton is going to buy it again. She's going to use her shady connections to blackball her would-be opponents, her Clinton Foundation millions to bury the rest underneath a mountain of salacious attack ads, and her supporters on Neogaf will systematically single out, dogpile, ridicule, insult, shame, and, ideally, permanently ban anyone with the gall to mention her lifetime of documented unethical conduct. She's going to talk down to normal Americans about their values, divide us in ways we never thought imaginable and, ultimately, lose her third bid to seize the Presidency, for the second time against Donald J. Trump, of all people. And this time she won't blame sexism, Russians, or the DNC. She's going to blame you.

And there's nothing any of us can do to stop this from happening.

Uhm.............................................

steveovig

This whole Bernie situation has gone on way too long. This guy helped shape the anti-establishment narrative that certainly played a part in Hillary's downfall, and now there is this talk of him running in three years. We need youth in order to beat Trump because he could easily walk away with 2020 just like he won last year. IMO, he is in over his head and never showed me he was quite sure on how to follow through with his idealistic promises.

legacyzero

Banned
Jesus Christ. I wonder why if she's addressed that
What issues should they be talking? They're an opposition party! The GOP isn't working with them on jack shit. There's no bipartisanship here, so even if they did have a legislative platform, it'd all be for show. Russia is an extremely important issue for the entire nation. It's not an unpopular investigation at all. They've been plenty clear in their opposition to the GOP health bills and tax plans. I have no idea what you reasonably expect from them.
ISSUES.

It's not that difficult. Yelling in opposition is t enough. They need to be addressing issues with the voter. Period. The Rust Belt is dem territory. They lost it because they were ignored, and with no message.

I was for Sanders last time. I mean, I still like him and I'd definitely vote for him if he ran again. ...But he is going to be 80 years old. Statistically, minds start to go well before then. His health isn't great. His ideals can certainly live on in all of us, but it would be irresponsible to run him, and I bet he'd think it'd be irresponsible to run.

Instead, let's get a younger firebrand in the house. Younger the better. Someone with experience, someone loud and angry, and someone whose improprieties are likelier to win points in independents than lose them in democrats.

So I mean, I'd donate to Kamala Harris, for instance. I think she's in her early 50s, been in politics for 30 years or so in 2020, with no notable problems that I can see.

Jesus Christ. I wonder why if she's addressed that

ISSUES.

It's not that difficult. Yelling in opposition is t enough. They need to be addressing issues with the voter. Period. The Rust Belt is dem territory. They lost it because they were ignored, and with no message.

What issues? What message do you think they should be promoting? Help us out here.

What issues? What message do you think they should be promoting? Help us out here.

an alternative to the AHCA/BCRA, because clearly the house caucus hasn't been signing onto Medicare for All in droves

So I mean, I'd donate to Kamala Harris, for instance. I think she's in her early 50s, been in politics for 30 years or so in 2020, with no notable problems that I can see.

district attorney in the bay area for 20-odd years, AG of California for another 6 years, Senator for 4 years

AG tenure was mostly good, but there was a distinct pattern of being too tough wrt sentencing

legacyzero

Banned
Harris? Brown, if drafted? Gillibrand? Cyborg Biden? *suppresses gag reflex* Booker?
In willing to put money down that the Dems main Booker if Biden doesn't jump in. That'll be a goddamn catastrophe. Warren seems to be priming for a run, but my issue is, she's all bark. I love it when she goes off- but when it matters, she's a fuckin ghost. Namely during DAPL, and 2016 Primary, Bernie-X-rays weren't looking for her endorsement, and she sat silently. Bernie even floated asking her to run as VP, if he won the Primary.
Healthcare, jobs, criminal justice reform, trade deals gone awry, climate change, etc.

You know. Shit that fuckin affects people's lives?

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
2008 was a brutal primary and it worked out fine.

Sure, that's true. But folks moved on. I guess because Dems lost the general this time, we have to keep reliving it & there is no closure.

I'm just saying it'll be hard to do well in 2020 if we're still trying to win 2016

steveovig

I love the idea of Warren being the nominee. She always seems to be very sincere and brimming with energy. She seems to be everything that Hillary should have been last year, in terms of enthusiasm.

Such a bill wouldn't even make it to committee though, let a lone a vote. The GOP is not interested in working the dems in any way whatsoever.

i'm aware. i've been trying to say they've been talking about non-trumprussia issues all year long, it's just that the GOP literally has no interest in humoring any idea left of mussolini

In willing to put money down that the Dems main Booker if Biden doesn't jump in.

i'll vote for him if i have to, but i'd wager decent money at this point that Harris jumps in and Obamas the shit out of the field

Issues issues issues. Did I watch a different campaign? Hillary ran on the issues and not just Trump's a dick.

Honest question: Do Democrats have an alternative?

Yes. To name a few:

Kamala Harris
Sherrod Brown
Elizabeth Warren
Jason Kander
John Hickenlooper
Amy Klobuchar
Cory Booker
Russ Feingold

and some unknowns that could pop out like Obama did.

We have a bench but it's not sexy or truly progressive enough for some people.

In willing to put money down that the Dems main Booker if Biden doesn't jump in. That'll be a goddamn catastrophe. Warren seems to be priming for a run, but my issue is, she's all bark. I love it when she goes off- but when it matters, she's a fuckin ghost. Namely during DAPL, and 2016 Primary, Bernie-X-rays weren't looking for her endorsement, and she sat silently. Bernie even floated asking her to run as VP, if he won the Primary.

Healthcare, jobs, criminal justice reform, trade deals gone awry, climate change, etc.

You know. Shit that fuckin affects people's lives?

So things we had a platform for in 2016?

Why are you pretending Clinton didn't run on those (minus the bogus trade deal shit)

But nah let's prop up someone that visited a genocidal dictator because she didn't back Clinton

RedHill

Banned
Sanders' age as well as FBI investigation will be ammo Trump uses to rally people again. To beat trump we need a candidate that isn't and hasn't been under any type of investigation.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Obama wasn't an unknown. He'd held one of the key speeches at the 2004 DNC, and was widely tipped as a future star. He just came a little earlier than people were expecting. There's no secret candidate that people aren't aware of yet; if there is they'll be an outside like Bradley or Sanders just by nature of how the process works.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/02/hillary-clinton-is-running-for-president-again-214766

GAF, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but none of you have any say whatsoever in who will receive the nomination in 2020. That's because Hillary Clinton is going to buy it again. She's going to use her shady connections to blackball her would-be opponents, her Clinton Foundation millions to bury the rest underneath a mountain of salacious attack ads, and her supporters on Neogaf will systematically single out, dogpile, ridicule, insult, shame, and, ideally, permanently ban anyone with the gall to mention her lifetime of documented unethical conduct. She's going to talk down to normal Americans about their values, divide us in ways we never thought imaginable and, ultimately, lose her third bid to seize the Presidency, for the second time against Donald J. Trump, of all people. And this time she won't blame sexism, Russians, or the DNC. She's going to blame you.

And there's nothing any of us can do to stop this from happening.

You've gotta be kidding me.

Obama wasn't an unknown. He'd held one of the key speeches at the 2004 DNC, and was widely tipped as a future star. He just came a little earlier than people were expecting. There's no secret candidate that people aren't aware of yet; if there is they'll be an outside like Bradley or Sanders just by nature of how the process works.

Probably.

Fortunately, an outsider candidate who runs a better campaign than Sanders and doesn't have the entire party establishment in lockstep behind a single opponent would have a much better shot at winning the nomination than Bernie ever did.

legacyzero

Banned
This whole Bernie situation has gone on way too long. This guy helped shape the anti-establishment narrative that certainly played a part in Hillary's downfall, and now there is this talk of him running in three years. We need youth in order to beat Trump because he could easily walk away with 2020 just like he won last year. IMO, he is in over his head and never showed me he was quite sure on how to follow through with his idealistic promises.

We need a young anti-establishment candidate for 2020, who precisely stands by the "idealistic" (aka craved by the young and the independents) proposals for America.

Accept it GAF... your true FIRST female President:

inperson_GettyImages-512502332_masterw_850_633.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom