• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait...Wolverine is 5'3"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

I read comics here and there, and I will admit I don't know all the finer details. I am slowly learning though.

Anyway....

I was looking at this chart;

YEU2g2l.jpg

And I was blown away by the fact that Wolverine is only 5'3". Hugh Jackman is 6'2" I believe, who has represented Wolverine all these years.

It actually makes a lot of sense now. Wolverine being smaller, but being fucking vicious and others underestimating him.

Is his short stature still a thing in the comics, or have they 'retconned' that?

Makes me wonder how the reception would have been if they stuck to his comic height and chose another actor for it. I have nothing against Jackman, and love him, but just a thought and what could have been.

kmax

Found this on IMDB

Height:5 ft. 3 (Although in the in the X Men and Wolverine X Men Origins movies his height is 6' 2½" (1.89 m) as movie execs considered it to be a commercial hindrance to have a male sex symbol that was shorter then all the female leads).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
He was originally designed as a teenager (about 13 I think) and became a grizzled middle aged man when the first artist to draw him without a mask decided that's what he wanted.

He's also the Hulk's sidekick.

Alienous

Yep.

I believe that when Hugh Jackman was cast people wanted a shorter actor, so there's that. He does a good job.

Now the only short character I can look to for inspiration is Vegeta. Wolverine isn't pure enough any more.

They tried making Hugh Jackman look shorter in X1 by having the other members of the cast stand on boxes, like in the Wolverine meeting Cyclops, Storm and Charles scene. They abandoned this by X2, if I remember correctly.

obin_gam

And I was blown away by the fact that Wolverine is only 5'3". Hugh Jackman is 6'2" I believe, who has represented Wolverine all these years.

It actually makes a lot of sense now. Wolverine being smaller, but being fucking vicious and others underestimating him.

Is his short stature still a thing in the comics, or have they 'retconned' that?

Makes me wonder how the reception would have been if they stuck to his comic height and chose another actor for it. I have nothing against Jackman, and love him, but just a thought and what could have been.
In two years, this will become a 20 year old issue :p

i always just figure all marvel heros were at least 6'2. but maybe that was me projecting my height onto those characters. tony stark and black widow were the only avengers that seemed to be under 6 foot in the MCU

Colossus being 7'5" is more unbelievable. He just gets metal skin, he doesn't get taller when he transforms. He would have been snapped up by a Soviet youth basketball program if he had really been that tall.

Evo X

Yeah, they totally need to cast me as the next wolverine after Jackman retires.

Let me dream. ;_;

ZiZ

Yeah, I still feel Hugh Jackman is too tall/handsome to play Wolverine.

would rather they made him more rough and wild.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Colossus being 7'5" is more unbelievable. He just gets metal skin, he doesn't get taller when he transforms. He would have been snapped up by a Soviet youth basketball program if he had really been that tall.

I'm pretty sure he does get taller. That's what I remember from the cartoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom