• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait...Wolverine is 5'3"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
Who would have been a suitable actor? He's 5'3" and 195 lbs.

They can make hobbits appear hobbity, they could have made a taller actor appear smaller at least.

And his size isn't even the real issue, it's his demeanor which Jackman doesn't even get close too.

kswiston

They can make hobbits appear hobbity, they could have made a taller actor appear smaller at least.

What do you gain by going through the effort though? They wanted Wolverine as the lead, and the first film didn't exactly have a large budget. Also, other than Prof X, it's not like the rest of that cast was any better matched to their comics counterparts.

Jenov

That was actually one of the better decisions the movies took. They should retconn that out of the books too.

Yea, I agree. A former athlete would be idea. But if you cast one of those, you can't make a feature film with him as the star. You have to be able to carry a film if you're going to cast someone as important as Wolverine.

He works best as a character when he isn't the main member of the team who is the mysterious loner who doesn't say much but does something really cool every now and then.

I suppose it's not reasonable to expect that in 2015 though.

i-Lo

Indeed. That's why it pissed me off. He was the one comic character, us shorter folks look up to and our patriarchal societal norms so closely followed by Hollywood fucked it over.

Zakalwe

Banned
What do you gain by going through the effort though? They wanted Wolverine as the lead, and the first film didn't exactly have a large budget. Also, other than Prof X, it's not like the rest of that cast was any better matched to their comics counterparts.

I don't even mind. I understand that adaptations won't always be perfect reflections. I understand that Studios like money.

That does't mean they couldn't have found a better for if they'd wanted to. Jackman is perfect for what they wanted, but he's not a perfect Wolverine.

wolvy was never really depicted/drawn as small enough to notice in the comics anyway, so it's not surprising many ppl didn't notice this until they where told (including me).

this is why i wanted this guy to play wolverine

6a00d8341c630a53ef01287671e890970c-pi

The original wolverine was never going to be accurately depicted in films.

Not a comic reader, what should his character be like?

I always think Rorschach from the Watchmen movie is closer to what I thought Wolverine was like.

edit: oh and I would like to see such a chart for One Piece. That show is ridiculous, even normal humans can be like 4m tall :lol

one does not exist. you'd need a former NFL running back, soccer or rugby player. Maybe a WWE wrestler or MMA fighter.

I think you might be overthinking this a bit. There are plenty of actors who are around 5'5 or 5'6, which is more than short enough to represent the character as the shortest member of the team. Put Kitty on a box during dialog scenes and they'd be fine. I don't see physique as an issue either considering what they make actors go through these days.

Indeed. That's why it pissed me off. He was the one comic character, us shorter folks look up to and our patriarchal societal norms so closely followed by Hollywood fucked it over.

Word. As a short picked on kid, Wolverine was definitely my favorite.

Tesseract

Banned
who really gives that many shits about height? shift all their heights as you will, nobody is counting inches in theaters

Zakalwe

Banned

I always think Rorschach from the Watchmen movie is closer to what I thought Wolverine was like.

Wolverine is old, He's lived a long time. He's experienced different cultures, wars, world changing events.

He's wise, educated, and worldly. He's also feral, gruff, prone to rage and dark moods.

He's also incredibly loyal to those he loves. Fiercly so. He has a very tender heart underneath it all.

In the outside he appears unapproachable and hostile, he distrusts people he doesn't know but to those who know him well he is the truest of friends.

His life has been full of pain and loss, but he pushes forward regardless. His healing factor is strong but really it's his incredible will that let him survive so much suffering.

Jackman didn't portray him with enough weight. His Wolvering felt like a light mock up, and while it was entertaining it didn't capture the essence of the character.

They made Hugh Jackman Wolverine based on the Ultimate Marvel version who is significantly taller than the 616 Universe version.

Wolverine is old, He's lived a long time. He's experienced different cultures, wars, world changing events.

He's wise, educated, and worldly. He's also feral, gruff, prone to rage and dark moods.

He's also incredibly loyal to those he loves. Fiercly so. He has a very tender heart underneath it all.

In the outside he appears unapproachable and hostile, he distrusts people he doesn't know but to those who know him well he is the truest of friends.

His life has been full of pain and loss, but he pushes forward regardless. His healing factor is strong but really it's his incredible will that let him use give so much suffering.

Jackman didn't portray him with enough weight. His Wolvering felt like a light mock up, and while it was entertaining it didn't capture the essence of the character.

He didn't hang out with enough preteen girls though.

Converse

Banned
I don't sweat the changes made in the film -- Jackman's performance is really wonderful, and you can tell how much he respects the character -- but it's interesting to see how much film influences folks' perception of the character. Being short has always been a part of being Wolverine, in the text. I learned this from the "Official X-Men Guidebook" that I had from the school book fair in the early '90s.

DarkKyo

Wolverine always reminded me of Vegeta because they are both short, tough guys who don't take shit from others.

infi

I never read the comics and only saw the movies but I expected Colossus to be shorter and the Thing to be much bigger.

I read comics here and there, and I will admit I don't know all the finer details. I am slowly learning though.

Anyway....

I was looking at this chart;

And I was blown away by the fact that Wolverine is only 5'3". Hugh Jackman is 6'2" I believe, who has represented Wolverine all these years.

It actually makes a lot of sense now. Wolverine being smaller, but being fucking vicious and others underestimating him.

Is his short stature still a thing in the comics, or have they 'retconned' that?

Makes me wonder how the reception would have been if they stuck to his comic height and chose another actor for it. I have nothing against Jackman, and love him, but just a thought and what could have been.

That height chart sucks, it doesn't have She-hulk on it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
The Thing is only 6'? I always assumed he was a lot taller.

kswiston

Well, before the X-Men movie, he was portrayed as a man who appeared to be in his 40s, and he would have been heavily muscled (even ignoring the muscle exaggeration that every character gets). Official Marvel stats had both Cyclops and Wolverine at 195 lbs, despite the fact that Cyclops was 6'3" and Wolverine was 5'3".

They made Hugh Jackman Wolverine based on the Ultimate Marvel version who is significantly taller than the 616 Universe version.

Ultimate X-Men came out 5-6 months after the movie. they patterned Ultimate Wolverine on Huge Jackman, not the other way around.

He's supposed to be ridiculously short

658355-a_2.png

He was short, but that picture is not the best demonstration. Juggernaut is over 9 feet tall. Hence the bar coming up to his knees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom