• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart in-store Wii U preorders begin 10/14

Thanks dude. After a fucking hour they finally got a copy of it. Worst customer service I've ever experienced :(. Thinking about calling their district manager They argued with me the whole time and told me I was wrong.

It seems to be that way all over. People on CAG said its like people don't want to do their jobs and god forbid that the customer knows more than them.

dank0723

Banned
It seems to be that way all over. People on CAG said its like people don't want to do their jobs and god forbid that the customer knows more than them.

Yea I can't really be like "listen asshole, I work in the industry and know what I'm talking about" although I wanted to hehe. She kept telling me that I didn't understand. They didn't even have today's ad in the store haha. Oh well, it's done now. Thanks for the help!

I just called both close to me and they said they aren't taking preorders, they didn't get anything like that... I'm not even going to bother, I'll keep my stupid bestbuy preorder. :/

Pikma

Banned
I won't be able to go and get mine until some 3-4 hours from now, Cali GAF, don't spread the word too much. :(

I just called both close to me and they said they aren't taking preorders, they didn't get anything like that... I'm not even going to bother, I'll keep my stupid bestbuy preorder. :/

Nearly every post I've seen has said that their Walmart said they weren't doing it first. Maybe you should call and ask for the manager.

Sometimes I wonder if some of the Wal-Mart employees are just lazy and ignorant, or if they already know but they try to hoard new hot items for resale.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Well that was surprisingly painless since they had the WiiU flyer taped to the counter in layaway. Showed up 9:30 and was first to pre-order.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

Call and ask for the manager. If not, just print out the memo linked a few pages back and take it with you. Tell them to look for it and ask to speak with the manager. All Walmarts are doing preorders. Yours apparently don't want to do their jobs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The person trained in layaway at my store was the electronics manager...who was busy with a weird TV sale. But when she gave the associate the same sheet you've seen from this thread the employee got it done in about five minutes.

Call and ask for the manager. If not, just print out the memo linked a few pages back and take it with you. Tell them to look for it and ask to speak with the manager. All Walmarts are doing preorders. Yours apparently don't want to do their jobs.

get on their culos if they arent doing their job - i hate seeing people getting turned away because an employee has no idea wtf their doing.

dank0723

Banned
Some times I wonder if some of the Wal-Mart employees are just lazy and ignorant, or if they already know but they try to hoard new hot items for resale.

If they're anything like the employees at my local Raleigh wal mart, they are too stupid to even think of hoarding it. They didn't even know what it was. I guess I know where I'm preordering Durango and Orbis :p

Thats how they get you. They lazy.

Nearly every post I've seen has said that their Walmart said they weren't doing it first. Maybe you should call and ask for the manager.

No, my mom works there, I'm trusting what she's saying. They have a group of angry people there about it still and they're trying to figure out what to do and if they can get information for when they do get it or something. They've been calling over stores too to see if they have it to send people there. I don't know what's going on there but they have the flyer but apparently can't find those sheets.

Edit: Found one that has it but it's a longer drive and they told the people at the other two stores to go there so I'm sure they'll be out by the time I get there. :/

masud

Banned
At a Walmart layaway desk right now, 9am local time, when I got here 10 minutes ago there were already two guys here arguing with a manager who had no idea about the ad. He's in the back now hopefully he returns with good news.

No, my mom works there, I'm trusting what she's saying. They have a group of angry people there about it still and they're trying to figure out what to do and if they can get information for when they do get it or something. They've been calling over stores too to see if they have it to send people there. I don't know what's going on there but they have the flyer but apparently can't find those sheets.

Edit: Found one that has it but it's a longer drive and they told the people at the other two stores to go there so I'm sure they'll be out by the time I get there. :/
Well thats a special case. Walmart just really lives up to their rep sometimes.. they cant find the sheets.

I am glad I kept my Best Buy in store kiosk preorder. I know that its not guaranteed but I trust Best Buy preorders a hell of a lot more than walmart. Not to mention Best Buy to rectify any issues unlike walmart.

Lum1n3s

Ok so, if y'all want to do it don't go to the Layaway part of the store it needs to be done in Electronics from what the Store Manager told me or else they'll give you lip/false facts. Getting it done right now as we speak and if they start saying you're wrong at least call the manager/assistant manager and show them the picture of the paper itself to help out.

Well thats a special case. Walmart just really lives up to their rep sometimes.. they cant find the sheets.

Ya, considering how crappy the stores are run by me I wouldn't be surprised if it means it's still on one of the trucks and hasn't been unloaded yet if it was shipped that way. :/ O well, I still have one at bestbuy, I just hated their charging procedure all of a sudden until it's released.

Lum1n3s

And I just got it done 11:06AM EST :D. First one to do it and the manager thanked me for helping them out with it! Like I said just call the manager to help out, they'll be more helpful than the silly peons who work for Wal-Mart.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd be less worried about the random money holds (which is rightly annoying) then the fact that BB preorders basically mean shit. They never cutoff sales based on known shipments and it ends up still being basically first come first serve with another level on top of it.

Now I'm not saying Wal-Mart isn't perfectly capable of fucking this up, lord knows I worked for this company in the past and they certainly haven't gotten any better about shit like this, possibly even worse. But I've heard that they do seem to take Layaway seriously and luckily because the process is itself sort of a throwback to earlier times many states have rather strict laws on the process.

masud

Banned
Got it, just talk to a manager they should be able to get it done. The one here had step by step instructions faxed to him lol.

Got two of em. People there were super nice and knew what it was. I was the only one there around 10 but they knew exactly what it was, joked about putting a penny down come launch, and how they were guaranteed to be held. All in all, great experience. Even a random employee knew exactly where to point me to out in the actual store.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd be less worried about the random money holds (which is rightly annoying) then the fact that BB preorders basically mean shit. They never cutoff sales based on known shipments and it ends up still being basically first come first serve with another level on top of it.

Now I'm not saying Wal-Mart isn't perfectly capable of fucking this up, lord knows I worked for this company in the past and they certainly haven't gotten any better about shit like this, possibly even worse. But I've heard that they do seem to take Layaway seriously and luckily because the process is itself sort of a throwback to earlier times many states have rather strict laws on the process.

This is wrong. First who ordered get it first, not first who show up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is wrong. First who ordered get it first, not first who show up.

All I know is that there has been some shady shit involving my local BB and various idevice preorders where they either overpromised or outright lied about preorder position.

Preordered 2 at my local Walmart. I have one at BB as well, so this is backup. I'm #4 & 5 in my store. Guy said there is no concern for underallocations because the system would have stopped him from putting in the preorder if there weren't enough.

jaypah

Just put 125 down at Wal-Mart (New Orleans). The lady had the memo taped to her desk and another copy tapes to the wall behind her. They were surprisingly on top of their game today. Glad I got it out of the way. The lady and I were getting worried that we wouldn't find one for launch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Did someone ask if we could pick it up at midnight or will we have to wait for layaway to open again on the 18?

From the instructions:

3. Apply the package labels from the reservation folder to each unit, re-assign the reserved consoles to the proper
storage location and bin until 12:01am on 11/18 launch night.

So if your Wal-Mart is open they'll get it for ya.

Jerrod

Just got my preorder. I went there at 10 instead of 9 because that's when I happened to wake up and while I was waiting in layaway for an employee one just so happened to walk out with the packet of info on the WiiU to get it ready for the day so I was the first. Everything went smooth except that they had "limit 1 per customer" written down on the instructions sheet and nowhere on the sheet could I see it say 2 per customer. The employee told me she was instructed to only allow 1 per customer.

Did someone ask if we could pick it up at midnight or will we have to wait for layaway to open again on the 18?
The layaway person told me I could get it at midnight but I had to go back to the layaway section so I guess they will have it open at midnight.

hiryu64

Got mine done. In and out, quick and painless.

There was a guy at the desk when I got there and I happened to notice that he was also there for a Wii U. As it turns out, he got THREE! I chatted him up about it and he said he was getting one for himself and two for each of his grandkids. Could have been a scalper's cover story, but he seemed sincere enough. Anyway, as I was making my reservation, the guy at the counter asked me what it was. He thought it was like "a new PSP" or something. I got to explain what it was and he thought it was cool as hell. If this is any indication as to the general public's awareness about the Wii U, Nintendo seriously needs to hurry up with these ads. Though I imagine if they play their cards right we'll see the hype train go from zero to 88 MPH overnight (much like the Wii did).

While I'm here, anyone happen to know of any deals on games or extras? I'm probably gonna get NSMBU, ZombiU, and a Pro Controller, so it would be nice if I could save a few bucks.

EDIT: Oh and I happened to have my 3DS on me and managed to get two StreetPass tags. o_O Think I'll be taking it with me a lot more on my travels.

sgi02

Banned
I'm in baby... for TWO!!! Second customer at Gloversville, Upstate New York. The women who helped me knew what was going on and got the job done. I was in and out in 3 mins tops. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Newegg had a deal awhile back on game preorders that weren't Mario or Nintendoland. I'm sure there will be a few in the next few weeks there and elsewhere.

I am glad I kept my Best Buy in store kiosk preorder. I know that its not guaranteed but I trust Best Buy preorders a hell of a lot more than walmart. Not to mention Best Buy to rectify any issues unlike walmart.

If they don't get enough in are the best buy employees going to go in the back and duct tape a couple wii's together for you? If they don't get enough you're boned.

Edit: are bb preorders suspect? Is it truly worthless if you don't get in line on the 18th early enough?

Best Buy has been known to put things out on the floor that were preorders. I got screwed over on a few collectors editions. I had my preorder slip and they were like "oh sorry, we must have sold them all". I ended up having to drive to another Best Buy in my town that happened to still have 1 on the shelf. Idiots...

batbeg

Walking into Walmart and getting my Wii U for a penny :D Thanks for the thread, I was really down about missing my chance at Gamestop.

And I had to instruct a string of clueless employees up to an assistant manager who had the instructions. 0% Wii U awareness rate of the product or why I was paying so much for a Wii.

That was rather painless. Went in around 10AM, asked the guy at the electronics section where the layaway thing was (had no idea), told me checkout #23, went there, went back to electronics to tell them the lane was closed, both went back to #23 while the electronics clerk got a cashier to handle it, and finally ordered a Deluxe Wii U and paid in full. I don't need two, I'm no scalper. Very well may have been the first person to order one, too.

Of course, my bank got suspicious of the large payment and called me to verify it, but I've already cleared it with them. We good, for now. Here's hoping November 18th is just as painless.

Got there at 9:20 and no one knew wtf I was talking about, including the manager. Had to show the ad and after about 40 minutes of waiting, they were finally setup to accept the order.
So obviously I was first at Houston's Silber location. Interestingly enough, another guy came ten minutes after me for the same thing saying he found out through neogaf and CAG. But didn't have a neogaf account.

First one at my Walmart had to show them a picture of the paper so they could go in back and print it out. They allowed me to get two (second one is for a friend), and they asked me about the Wii U and after I explained it they seemed really interested.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Here at Walmart. Average joe consumers (parents) are worried about there not being consoles this holiday. While he's talking to the employee she knew nothing about it (the console and to pre-order layaway in the first place).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wow he's buying 4. He has his girlfriend buying two as well. Said he was giving one to his son and scalping the rest bahaha

Drain You

Woke up at 9:30 and decided to check my local Walmart. After wandering around I finally figured out the layaway department was wear I needed to be. Preordered the Deluxe Edition, asked if alot of people have come in to reserve it so far and he tells me only one guy. This one guy apparently preordered 2 then preordered ANOTHER 2 under a different name. Launch will be fun.

Top Bottom