• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart in-store Wii U preorders begin 10/14

Jerrod

Called my Walmart just to see, they knew of the preorders but didn't know how layaway was handling it and said to come in when layaway was open.

blackflag

I got one preordered at Fry's online but Im not trusting it since you can still preorder it there. Unfortunately I couldn't go do this until tomorrow night and it'll probably be too late

I was pretty convinced all Walmarts were 24/7 at this point. Shows what I know. There has to be one nearby that is open 24/7, no? I'd say it would be worth the drive instead of waiting outside lolz.

I know some Walmart locations don't like large lines of people forming near the back of the store. I lined up for the Wii at Walmart and they let us stay in the back near the layaway area but one a town over had people line up outside.

i think there is only one 24 hour wal mart around me and the rest close at 10

heh i would call the 24 hour but i'll wait for the other one, i wonder if people were camping out though.

Me and my friend got there and talked to the store manager. She was able to do the pre order for us in the Layaway Dept. Stoked. We were the only ones there. HAHAHAHAHA. She said if we hadnt already knew about the pre order being available at midnight she could have just told us to come back when they opened the layaway at 9am this morning. Glad we went there now and we can just pay it off as we go now. No worries to not get one.

LOSER PARADE at its finest. BOOM

Me and my friend got there and talked to the store manager. She was able to do the pre order for us in the Layaway Dept. Stoked. We were the only ones there. HAHAHAHAHA. She said if we hadnt already knew about the pre order being available at midnight she could have just told us to come back when they opened the layaway at 9am this morning. Glad we went there now and we can just pay it off as we go now. No worries to not get one.

Fuck. I went to two Walmarts and they look dumbfounded when I said we could pre-order starting the 14th. They said no one was trained to handle it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

bout to go do this now.

Make sure you speak with a store manager if your going tonight. The layaway department opens from 9am to 9pm. Its just tonight was special for the preorders. We got lucky with the manager being on duty tonight. She said if others were working they couldnt have done this.

Have no fear though. Just go in the morning at 9am to 9pm today and you will be fine.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Make sure you speak with a store manager if your going tonight. The layaway department opens from 9am to 9pm. Its just tonight was special for the preorders. We got lucky with the manager being on duty tonight. She said if others were working they couldnt have done this.

Have no fear though. Just go in the morning at 9am to 9pm today and you will be fine.

I'm at least gonna try. if I'm unable I'll do it in the morning.

Just pre-ordered two at my local Wal-Mart, middle of nowhere west Texas.

Here's the deal: as a Wal-Mart employee in a past life, you have to realize that the average associate doesn't really know about these things or how they work. It has nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with how poorly the company shares information and guidance with its employees.

It took me about 15 minutes chatting up the on-duty manager to convince her the deal was for today and not for tomorrow. I showed her the flyer and the printout sitting on their electronics desk that specifically stated 14 October, but she was insistent that it was going to be the following midnight.

I said, "You mean midnight, as in the 15th of October?" That got her thinking, and she went back with me to the layaway counter and looked it up. Minutes later everything was good to go.

Be very polite about it and you should be good to go.

p.s. Seeing as I was the only person who had even brought the pre-order up at my store, I don't believe anyone will have a big problem going in tomorrow morning and locking one down. Nintendo doesn't seem to be doing that stellar of a job marketing this one and I don't think average Joe knows a new console is hitting the shelves soon. Probably the only people even tracking this are the kind of folks who post on a video game forum or a greedy capitalist bastard looking to cash in by flipping the console. I am firmly in both categories. :)

Thank you so much dude. Just followed your advice and went to a different Walmart and talked to the manager and he finally figured it out and I ended up pre ordering two Deluxe units! I was the first person to do it.

Just pre-ordered two at my local Wal-Mart, middle of nowhere west Texas.

Here's the deal: as a Wal-Mart employee in a past life, you have to realize that the average associate doesn't really know about these things or how they work. It has nothing to do with intelligence, and everything to do with how poorly the company shares information and guidance with its employees.

It took me about 15 minutes chatting up the on-duty manager to convince her the deal was for today and not for tomorrow. I showed her the flyer and the printout sitting on their electronics desk that specifically stated 14 October, but she was insistent that it was going to be the following midnight.

I said, "You mean midnight, as in the 15th of October?" That got her thinking, and she went back with me to the layaway counter and looked it up. Minutes later everything was good to go.

Be very polite about it and you should be good to go.

p.s. Seeing as I was the only person who had even brought the pre-order up at my store, I don't believe anyone will have a big problem going in tomorrow morning and locking one down. Nintendo doesn't seem to be doing that stellar of a job marketing this one and I don't think average Joe knows a new console is hitting the shelves soon.

I second this. Be polite. They are most likely not big time Gaffers like us. Just let them know the details and show them the main article in the thread. Its the print off the manager had when we got our preorders.

You caught a store manager this late at night? Wow usually all you would get is the overnight shift and assistant manager by now.

By the way, tax does play out in the pre-order price, so you have to factor it into the 10%. We have a ridiculous 8.25% sales tax here (guess that and our crazy property taxes is the price we pay for zero state income tax). It made my minimal pre-order payments come out to $42.88 a piece.

Well, I stopped in, the person in electronics was supposed to know how to do it, as I was told this by a manager earlier in the day. They didn't. No biggie, they just called up the assistant on call and he came over.

2 Wii U Deluxe pre-orders paid off to $0.02 and all I have to show for it is a 3 foot long receipt. Not kidding. 3ft for 2 items.

I was only the 2nd person to do it, and I showed up like 12:35am my time... so 35min after they officially started doing it.

The words from the assistant manager were PRICELESS.

"So uhh, this Wii U, is that like the new gameboy wii?"( -- which is exactly what I believe the general public still thinks this is, if they have ever even heard of it.)

I explained it to him a little bit, and he thought it sounded neat. He was curious where I heard about it, and if it was being advertised pretty heavily by walmart. I just explained that word got out on the internet about it being in the Sunday Ad, which is active on the website.

Nintendo needs to get some commercials going FAST.

Awww I'm also one of those capitalists too. This is revenge for me not getting a Wii forever. I have three preorders at Wal-Mart. Plus the money will probably go towards fixing or buying a new car. So yeah me.

Edit: my new balance on the two is 683.32 and I paid the min of 40.46 each. Also the receipt is 32.1/4 inches long.

Well, I stopped in, the person in electronics was supposed to know how to do it, as I was told this by a manager earlier in the day. They didn't. No biggie, they just called up the assistant on call and he came over.

2 Wii U Deluxe pre-orders paid off to $0.02 and all I have to show for it is a 3 foot long receipt. Not kidding. 3ft for 2 items.

I was only the 2nd person to do it, and I showed up like 12:35am my time... so 35min after they officially started doing it.

The words from the assistant manager were PRICELESS.

"So uhh, this Wii U, is that like the new gameboy wii?"( -- which is exactly what I believe the general public still thinks this is, if they have ever even heard of it.)

I explained it to him a little bit, and he thought it sounded neat. He was curious where I heard about it, and if it was being advertised pretty heavily by walmart. I just explained that word got out on the internet about it being in the Sunday Ad, which is active on the website.

Nintendo needs to get some commercials going FAST.

I can attest to the receipt length. The fucking thing is so LONG. I hope I don't lose this thing...

They only allow two preorders, no?

Easy enough to circumvent, if you want. The manager at my store told me I could do four if I'd like. She suggested putting the other two in my wife's name and list me as the alternate, so I could pick up all four.

I thought about going all out, but flipping two of them is more than enough for me.

They only allow two preorders, no?

I brought my friend to make one too. I was worried they would only allow one. So he pre-ordered one and I let people ahead of me since there was only 6 counting me and my fried.
Hmm. They didn't ask to see my driver's license. Just all my info like name, phone number, and address.

Mine asked for a last name, first name, address, and a number to reach you.

Does this mean I beat the system? How much do you think I could flip these for?

Man, I was in the store for about three hours just killing time with my friend waiting. Should have asked more people. The layaway at my store looked like an actual check out register as well. Oh well, it was dead. No one in lines or anything so I'm sure I'll be good tomorrow in the AM. Time for some zzz's.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No luck. First manager flat out denied me. Second one at a different Walmart bullshitted me and said no one was trained to do it.

Well getting ready to head out to the local Walmart and arrive there at about 9am. I'll let you all know how it goes later on today.

I just got to mine. The electronics guy knew nothing about it. Only until I told him about layaway preorder he said they don't open for an hour, you can hang out in there.

alf717

Thank you very much for posting this info Mihael Mello Keehl! I just walked into Walmart and placed my pre-order. I thought I was going to have to fight my way through lines but I was the first one to pre-order one at my local Walmart. The lady that helped me out said this would guarantee me a console and it is the WiiU Deluxe version. As suggested before be kind and patience. The lady had to scan a piece of paper which had a bar code on it. Man I'm so happy right now. Thanks again Mihael Mello Keehl.

Showed up at Layaway at 9am. Zero people in line. The associate had no clue what I was talking about. They finally found info on it in a binder and rang it up for me. I have three pre-orders now...Gamestop, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart. Hopefully one of those comes through for me on Day 1.

If only I could preorder through Amazon. Why have you betrayed me, Jeff Bezos!?!?!?

Amazon is slowly but surely earning my distrust. They are an ecommerce company but they eventually look to compete with you in every way. The Wii U (TVii) even promotes selling their Digital content. If I were Nintendo I might rethink this strategy.

Thank you very much for posting this info Mihael Mello Keehl! I just walked into Walmart and placed my pre-order. I thought I was going to have to fight my way through lines but I was the first one to pre-order one at my local Walmart. The lady that helped me out said this would guarantee me a console and it is the WiiU Deluxe version. As suggested before be kind and patience. The lady had to scan a piece of paper which had a bar code on it. Man I'm so happy right now. Thanks again Mihael Mello Keehl.
Happy to help, and your welcome just call me Mello lol.

1-D_FTW

Amazon is slowly but surely earning my distrust. They are an ecommerce company but they eventually look to compete with you in every way. The Wii U (TVii) even promotes selling their Digital content. If I were Nintendo I might rethink this strategy.

They are what they are. Which is to mean nobody should have undying love for them. When they get a good monopoly on a product, the prices rise way up.

The end game on this is simple: once they've succeeded in driving most of the B&M companies out of business (which they can undercut on price because of low overhead), we're all screwed.

Well, success I guess... I had to put up a fight for the lady to actually do it. She kept telling me how they might not get many, and I said that's why I'm preordering. Then she told me how the people in the back may not know about it and sell it before I get there and I said I'll take that risk. Then as she was doing it she kept saying "I don't know why they're letting you pay before we even have it that doesn't make sense."

So hopefully they'll have something set maybe to where as soon as they get the WiiUs maybe there system will tell them one has been preordered or something because I would like to not get fucked over this.

Pikma

Banned
Well, success I guess... I had to put up a fight for the lady to actually do it. She kept telling me how they might not get many, and I said that's why I'm preordering. Then she told me how the people in the back may not know about it and sell it before I get there and I said I'll take that risk. Then as she was doing it she kept saying "I don't know why they're letting you pay before we even have it that doesn't make sense."

So hopefully they'll have something set maybe to where as soon as they get the WiiUs maybe there system will tell them one has been preordered or something because I would like to not get fucked over this.

:lol
Why is it so hard to find employees who do their work and only that? Every Walmart experience has it's own employee questioning himself/the company they work for/you about whatever you asks them to do, it's almost as if they don't want to do anything. :lol

dank0723

Banned
I'm here now and they have no fucking clue about it or what to do. They say they need a UPC number or something. People that got the layaway, how did you do it or do you have a UPC number on your receipt? These people make me want to pull my hair out

I'm here now and they have no fucking clue about it or what to do. They say they need a UPC number or something. People that got the layaway, how did you do it or do you have a UPC number on your receipt? These people make me want to pull my hair out
From CAG....tell them to look for this paper

dJu1a.jpg

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Dat Walmart customer service.

I'm about to try this out but I'm not expecting an easy process.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's easy enough once they find whichever manager has that certain directive.

My state is also one where the fee is given back in cash so it's just as good if not better than any other preorder.

The states where you get cash back are: CA, CO, MA, ME, MT, NJ, OR, WA.

I'd say better because any wait for it on launch night will be done in a heated store instead of a sidewalk that might be really fucking cold.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ah, but that's the fun! :)

Normally I'd agree.

However the Wii soured me on this. I missed out by 3-5 units in three separate lines before finally getting one. It was one of the colder Novembers in the past ten years too. The Black Friday wait was the nicest at about 25 degrees while the final one which I was third in line for was about 4 degrees.

Normally I'd agree.

However the Wii soured me on this. I missed out by 3-5 units in three separate lines before finally getting one. It was one of the colder Novembers in the past ten years too. The Black Friday wait was the nicest at about 25 degrees while the final one which I was third in line for was about 4 degrees.
:/ thats evil.

PBalfredo

Thanks for the heads up, OP! Just went from doubting I'll get a Wii U this year to hold a preorder for the deluxe set.

When I was getting my layaway, I heard the salesmen read off his terminal that each store gets 20 units.

alf717

Normally I'd agree.

I feel ya. I got my pre-order in for the Wii but I went to get one with my brother and what soured me was that parents were making there kids hold there spots in line so they could get a gift card and get more than one console. There was no regulation and we missed out on picking up a console. Plus there was a guy being cocky about it and told us we should leave cause all the consoles were accounted for. Not an employee it was one of the jerks double and trouble dipping on the console.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My car at the time had spotty ignition wires that hated getting that cold too so it was a joy that when Circuit City finally rung me out that morning that the thing started right up. The sun was out so it warmed to a delightful 9 degrees.

So I went home with Zelda (which I bought earlier the week for a few bucks less at a Walmart) and a copy of DBZ BT2 (which was getting surprisingly good internet buzz for its innovative waggle controls) and proceeded to...not play it for four days while I edited and fact checked my sisters term paper and helped her study for a few finals for her masters class!

If only I had gotten it that first time lining up! Late November is always crazy! Early November is a joy!

I love the cold but I've got free time around the launch of Wii U and then two straight months of work the week after, I'm not risking that nonsense again! Nice, warm, layaway at walmart, paid down to a penny.

Top Bottom