• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart in-store Wii U preorders begin 10/14

Hell nope. Stand outside the store sell it for 50$ and buy a different game. Im actually looking forward to Nintendoland but Im not sure it will have much value for me.

Damn. I want a black console, but asking $50 more for a couple of crappy stands and a multiplayer minigame collection just isn't going to fly with me.

jaypah

I camped out 36hrs for a PS3 at my local Wal-Mart, and we constantly had this one bitch of an employee coming over and telling us they're not getting enough units, they're not coming at all, we should just go home, etc..

She probably wanted them for her friends.

If that's what she was trying to do then that's awesome that y'all held your ground. I bet she was quite tight, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Damn. I want a black console, but asking $50 more for a couple of crappy stands and a multiplayer minigame collection just isn't going to fly with me.

Game is 60 dollars retail I believe. Also the cash back on digital purchases more than makes up the difference for me.

Eric C

Forgive me cause I've never done layaway before. But I need s few things answered:

Last can I pay it off in full?

If you want to, you can pay it all off except 1 penny

from the OP
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Customer may pay a majority of the balance in the initial transaction, but no matter what there must be a minimum balance of at least one penny, $.01 left on the account when reserving the console.

phaonaut

Should I go late saturday night or wait until sunday morning? Do you think someone will be in electronics on saturday night to do this? Super Walmart (24hr)

gururoji

Not to be a party pooper, my good fellow, but ain't the discount program pre-installed on the Deluxe sets?

Yeah, I think so, sadly. Has anyone heard any news about being able to buy into this program? Or is it really some new example of an "Ambassador" class pre-planned before launch? 10% off or whatever for the whole life of the machine but only available exclusively if you buy a certain console bundle just seems kinda...insane.

Yeah, I think so, sadly. Has anyone heard any news about being able to buy into this program? Or is it really some new example of an "Ambassador" class pre-planned before launch? 10% off or whatever for the whole life of the machine but only available exclusively if you buy a certain console bundle just seems kinda...insane.

I thought it was the first two years. Or is that only in Japan for their deal?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Should I go late saturday night or wait until sunday morning? Do you think someone will be in electronics on saturday night to do this? Super Walmart (24hr)
I'm going into my local Walmart today to ask (super Walmart as well). If so ill be there at midnight on the 14th if not, I'll just wait until morning. I'll report here when I have an answer.

Lucent

I would imagine it would be available to everyone at some point and in some way. Especially since I think the discount is only good for a certain amount of time before you can't use it anymore. It'll probably be sort of like the PS+ stuff in a way.

EDIT: I pre-ordered mine at Best Buy in store the day after the announcement. Only put $5 down because that's what they do in the store. But I've gone back to the kiosk since and they stopped allowing you to pre-order inside and online. I guess I'm just taking my chances.

Pikma

Banned
I wish people don't rush into this and the program is still available until next weekend, tha's when I'll be able to do the layaway, I don't have my unit reserved yet. :(

Eric C

Its the same damn thing and always has been!

Technically Walmart is charging a $5 layaway fee refundable only as a Walmart gift certificate when you pick up and pay off your Wii U.

So it's not EXACTLY the same thing as preorder from Gamestop or BestBuy.

As was said earlier in the thread if you live in CA, the state law says you can turn that gift certificate in for cash.

If you live everywhere else I guess you can use that $5 towards a game, or a controller, or one of those Nintendo Cash cards if you were going to go DD only.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

It's not really 10% off, though, it's more like cashback... it's not like something in the eShop for $60 will be $54 for premium members, you'll still have to pay the $60.
Nintendo Network Premium
This is a special reward program which means that whenever you buy digital content* from Nintendo eShop, you'll receive points which will be valued at around 10% of the original Nintendo eShop price. This can be both full download software and Add-On Content from Nintendo or other publishers. Once you reach 500 points you can start to use this credit against future purchases. Nintendo currently plans to run this scheme until the end of 2014.

Please note that this scheme will only be available in countries where users can purchase content from Nintendo eShop. 500 points are valued at €5 or equivalent amount in other currencies. In the event that points delivery is not available at launch, users will receive points for any software purchased once the system becomes available.

jrcbandit

Do we have any idea how much you'll be able to get if you sell these on ebay around Black Friday?

What we don't know yet is the real interest in WiiU. It might just be a PS3 thing, where everyone ran out to preorder it JUST to Ebay it. Then the only profit you could really obtain was on day 1 of the sales, by next week people either lost $ on selling it or only broke even due to Ebay/Paypal fees. Then again, it could turn into the Wii situation where people actually want the console and lots of $ could be had..

I predict it will be more like the PS3 because the mass market casual players have little interest in it, unlike the Wii. Mass market will be focused on the Ipad Mini, etc. Of course this also depends on how many consoles Nintendo can provide, the Nintendo hard core gamers will all want to buy it and if the initial shipment is super low, then a profit could still be had.

Checking the hours for my Walmart shows that the Site-to-Store area (also layaway area) is only open from 10am to 10pm I'll still probably check if there is anyone there a little before midnight.

A Broke (and struggling) college student such as myself can't afford more than one of these bad boys at a time I'm afraid, lol.

I think he means actually selling your preorder slot. Like, you could find someone local that would pay you whatever you wanted now as long as they had proof the preorder got paid off with the money, etc.

Jerrod

My friend who works in the electronics department at my local 24 hour super walmart said that layaway is open from 9am to 9pm.

My friend who works in the electronics department at my local 24 hour super walmart said that layaway is open from 9am to 9pm.

My local Walmart has the same policy. Word to the wise guys, they usually have one person bringing in new materials/stocking products of a type at Walmart around midnight/1am.

Unless you run into that specific person other employees will be very confused as to why you're there and won't know what's going on.
Also, having worked at Walmart always be careful of guys who go "Yeah ill go check for you" never to return.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So do you just pre-order in layaway or do you have to pick-up a ticket or something in the gaming section?

I guess I might as well do this. Not interested in any launch games but I need to have a WiiU by the time The Wonderful 101 is out and I'm afraid this console will be as hard to find as the Wii was initially.

So do you just pre-order in layaway or do you have to pick-up a ticket or something in the gaming section?

I guess I might as well do this. Not interested in any launch games but I need to have a WiiU by the time The Wonderful 101 is out and I'm afraid this console will be as hard to find as the Wii was initially.

Just pre-order in the layaway area.

Top Bottom