• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart in-store Wii U preorders begin 10/14

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fuck no. They close every regular section in most 24 hour walmarts at 9-11 and basically do most of the restocking then. Sometimes even getting an item out of one of the locked cases after midnight can be an ordeal.

i have 2 wally's within 10min .. one of them is 9am to 9pm, the other one said the electronics guys are trained to work layaway, and will be ready to do it for me @ midnite.

bringing the girlfriend to do a couple with me.

will report back on success/fail.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah I'm going tomorrow. If people want to line up tonight and get them all ahead of me, well that's on them. If I'm going to be forced to line up I'll do it on launch day which I have off, and the night before, and the week after...

Well, I missed out on the preorders everywhere else, so I guess I'm going to try and preorder one here. Let me get this straight, you have to preorder at the Layaway counter and not Electronics?

Yeah I'm going tomorrow. If people want to line up tonight and get them all ahead of me, well that's on them. If I'm going to be forced to line up I'll do it on launch day which I have off, and the night before, and the week after...

Same. I'm not camping for a pre-order.

There is already 4 people at mine. Im gonna run home real fast and get some stuff from my house. I talked to the people in line and 2 of them said they were getting multiple units.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's starting to look PS3 ugly on the scalper front.

I just hope it doesn't turn into another Wii as far as that was concerned.

Wonder what the real demand is vs. what the effect scalpers are having on shortages.

People could be setting themselves up to get burned by this...

nickcv

Wonder what the real demand is vs. what the effect scalpers are having on shortages.

me too...
part of me wishes this turns into a PS3 situation and scalpers will lose money, on the other hand i really hope nintendo will have great success with the Wii U

Man God

Non-Canon Member

3/4ths of the people in line with me for the 3DS at the same walmart I intend to preorder the Wii U on must have been burned by it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Yeah, for real. I want to preorder but it's not that serious.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just called mine and they said the layaway counter opens at around 11. Gonna show up at 9 just in case.

Just a quick question I have before prepping for tomorrow morning, is the "layaway department" of the walmart located in a specific location that is labeled layaway or does it just take place at the customer service desk or somewhere else?

HeySeuss

Just a quick question I have before prepping for tomorrow morning, is the "layaway department" of the walmart located in a specific location that is labeled layaway or does it just take place at the customer service desk or somewhere else?

Yeah it's marked as the layaway section. It's usually located at the back wall of the store somewhere in the middle of the wall.

Yeah it's marked as the layaway section. It's usually located at the back wall of the store somewhere in the middle of the wall.

Alright thank you. It'll be my first time in a while visiting a Walmart so hopefully it all goes well! (as long as I get a Deluxe preorder in it'll be considered a win in my book, I'd say)

Misterhbk

I'll go tomorrow, maybe in the morning, maybe midday, idk. I already have a unit preordered at Toys R US, but this whole layaway thing seems like a safer bet. I'll keep my unit preordered at TRU and if this works out then i'll just get the money back after launch. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to go into Wal-Mart anytime tomorrow and get one.

I highly doubt there will be a ton of people camping out for this considering the actual ad hasn't even been released. Only people camping out for a preorder are the insane tbh.

I'll go tomorrow, maybe in the morning, maybe midday, idk. I already have a unit preordered at Toys R US, but this whole layaway thing seems like a safer bet. I'll keep my unit preordered at TRU and if this works out then i'll just get the money back after launch. I'm pretty sure I'll still be able to go into Wal-Mart anytime tomorrow and get one.

I highly doubt there will be a ton of people camping out for this considering the actual ad hasn't even been released. Only people camping out for a preorder are the insane tbh.

The ad has been released, I have it.

Misterhbk

The ad has been released, I have it.

then I stand corrected, still don't see a ton of people lining up at midnight to pick up a piece of paper. Scalpers maybe but casuals aren't flocking out in droves to preorder this thing. Most people don't even know what the hell it is.

Like others have said, if I turn out to wrong and the line for preorders ends up being around the corner then god bless all of those people. I cant be assed to wait in line for hours on end to get a preorder. Thats just ridiculous.

EDIT; is this preorder only for the deluxe? I don't want to pay the extra 50 for things I don't want, or can we do this with the basic as well. The ad only shows the deluxe

Alright, I have my $40 all packed away and ready to exchange for this preorder. (It does just cost $40 minimum at Walmart Layaway right? - (10% of 350 = 35 + 5 service fee = 40.)

Think I'll probably leave around 8, make it by 9. Not going to go out of my way for a pre order but obviously I want one. May be making a mistake but who knows. But as others say, I'd rather stand in line for the actual system than a pre order.

Think I'll probably leave around 8, make it by 9. Not going to go out of my way for a pre order but obviously I want one. May be making a mistake but who knows. But as others say, I'd rather stand in line for the actual system than a pre order.

I don't mind waiting in line for an hour or two for a preorder, but not nearly as long as I'd stand in line for the console itself.

Well, I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure how people are reacting to it so I'm hoping it works out but I'm also not betting on anything. If I don't have to put up with the nonsense bestbuy is doing with online orders I'll be happy.

You'll be able to walk in on preorder day and walk out with a preorder... no problem

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to, but I really really don't want to have to wait in line for one on launch day so I'm getting there early. Plus I don't have anything else to do tomorrow.

In the WiiU thread on CAG a poster said he is at his Walmart and they told him they will be starting preorders at 12:01. I might have to stop by mine to check it out...

CronoShot

I work at Walmart and we aren't doing anything at midnight.

Starts when layaway opens tomorrow (9am). I work tomorrow at 2 so I might see if I can grab a preorder beforehand. Already have one through Best Buy, but getting a discount would be preferred.

Weirdly they didn't give us a set number of preorders that we can do. Supposedly the register is just gonna deny it when we reach capacity.

You can't get burned on something you can return.

I think they pay a fee for the eBay auction whether or not it succeeds.

Plus there's the shame and disappointment they feel when they have to take their unsold console back to the store.

There's some schadenfreude on my part, but I loathe people who prey on others.

Yuripaw

Banned
I already got my Wii U preordered, but it's less than an hour til midnight, I'm curious to go to wal-mart across the street and see if there are people waiting, lol

Pyrokai

Just drove by my Walmart for the lulz and saw three people outside.

I was pretty convinced all Walmarts were 24/7 at this point. Shows what I know. There has to be one nearby that is open 24/7, no? I'd say it would be worth the drive instead of waiting outside lolz.

Top Bottom