• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walt Disney Treasures - What ever happened to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A few years ago, Disney started releasing a series of dvd's called 'Walt Disney Treasures', they came in a very nice silver/gray box with a small portrait in the middle. It had serious 'older Hollywood' vibes. These dvd's contained videos of some of the smaller things Disney did that would never get covered by a major Disney release. They had stuff like Goofy themed ones where it was a bunch of Goofy shorts, Donald shorts, and 'documentaries' about stuff like Disney Land

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Treasures

They were coming out in waves but then... nothing. And Disney or Maltin hasn't seemed to say one way or another if the series is dead or going to come back. It's a real bummer too because I honestly believe it's the most interesting DVD's Disney has ever put out, and like most Disney releases, they are incredibly overpriced to get a hold of now, and it'll only get worse.
2yYGo.jpg

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I would love to have some of these on Blu, especially the WW2 set. But it'll never happen cause nobody cares anymore.

Gallbaro

Banned
I would love to have some of these on Blu, especially the WW2 set. But it'll never happen cause nobody cares anymore.
I have some. They were canceled because Disney realized they could make a whole lot more money by releasing largely the same content over-and-over-again with one or two pieces of "new" content on a small DVD set rather than those awesome bulk releases.

Diablos

Hopefully they'll realize it's 2012 and put it back on the market forever and also explore HD/digial options. But they probably won't, because this is Disney we're talking about. Awful company.

Dishwalla

Banned
I'm a big Mickey fan, so I bought all of the Mickey releases, and they weren't exactly cheap, let me tell you. I think that had something to do with their eventual discontinuation, it's kind of hard for the average person who has a marginal interest at best in Disney to shell out that kind of money during the recent economy, and Disney can't survive just on selling these sets to collectors.

Warners went through the same thing with the Looney Tunes Golden Collections, the first few sold well, and the last couple didn't. They discontinued the series after about half of the filmography had been released, and fans wondered for a few years if we'd see more LT DVDs.

Akkad

Banned
I have some. They were canceled because Disney realized they could make a whole lot more money by releasing largely the same content over-and-over-again with one or two pieces of "new" content on a small DVD set rather than those awesome bulk releases.

Putting them in and out if the imaginary vault, lol.

They died off, even if they were around they were doing old shows. I think Zorro or something was the last one 2 years ago or so by now. I got the complete collection from the D23 club instead of singles. I think it's a lot cheaper even at $500.

Edit: Fuck, that's discontinued also and going for like over $1000 new. I knew I should have bought two. :(

eLGee

I have "The Chronological Donald" vol 1 and 2, #Mickey Mouse in Black and White#, and "In living color" vol 1 & 2, "The Complete Goofy", "On the Front Lines" and "Tomorrowland".

I'm particularly proud of owning the last one, since it was a really limited print.

entremet

Hopefully they'll realize it's 2012 and put it back on the market forever and also explore HD/digial options. But they probably won't, because this is Disney we're talking about. Awful company.

Yep. Awful company with their ridiculous ''vaulting'' practices.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is be fine with that but that's my point. this is real niche stuff and it likely won't be released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom