• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanda / Shadow of the Colossus: New Interview, New Trailer, etc.

LINKY.

By now, you can't fail to have heard of a game called ICO on PS2. The wonderful, critically acclaimed SCEI title bombed at retail, but hopes are high for a smash hit with its spiritual successor, now known as Shadow of the Colossus.

It isn't hard to see why this game's chances of success are considerably higher - something you can get a better idea of than ever before in the amazing new video footage offered below. Not only that, but the game's Producer, Kenji Kaido, agreed to sit down with Kikizo once again for a more detailed discussion about the anticipated game.

Trailer 3 - All-new trailer shown exclusively here - includes sections from first two cuts of trailer, along with several new gameplay and story scenes. Must-see. (640x480, 1.6Mbps)

Pretty sure some of the screens are new too, but then again, maybe they are not. Enjoy.

teiresias

I bet it has an ending too.

In all seriousness, the flying Colossus are freaking amazing and the land-based one have a sense of mass and size that's just incredible.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
link2.jpg
link2.jpg
link2.jpg

@ trailer

Also, it looks like this is the first indication of a HUD

BuddyC said:
I can't believe I'm still on media blackout mode for this. I must be the only one :(

If you ask me, the trailers for this game (of which this latest is definitely the best) are up there with Zelda 2005. The way the trailer is split up makes it feel a little less natural as a trailer, but I guess that reflects the different aspects you'll get out of the game.

I can tell you you're missing a great trailer if you really do wanna stay with teh blackout...

I'm 99% sure this will be my GOTY, but watching the new trailer I can see they still have a lot of optimization to do. There're some jerky animations there, and it seems to be pushing the hardware way beyond its limits.

Best theme music ever, btw.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This trailer is the exact same thing as the video I have on my harddrive, dated September 20, 2004. I'm sure it was posted on this forum, maybe rip from some Famitsu disk. Most of it is a carbon copy footage from an even older trailer.

Look great, but I honestly hope these streak blur effects and those lines flying around in between some of the fight scenes, are there only for the purpose of the trailer (and even then they are poor choice, IMO) and that we won't see anything like that in the game.

Marconelly said:
This trailer is the exact same thing as the video I have on my harddrive, dated September 20, 2004. I'm sure it was posted on this forum, maybe rip from some Famitsu disk.

Look great, but I honestly hope these streak blur effects and those lines flying around in between some of the fight scenes, are there only for the purpose of the trailer (and even then they are poor choice, IMO) and that we won't see anything like that in the game.

Are you sure? While some bits are the same as the first "two" trailers (one being an extended version of the other that was about 20 secs more), this one is about a minute longer than the second one, and has a lot of footage that has DEFINITELY not been on the web before now. What is the length of the one you already had?

Also I am pretty sure that streak effect you mention is just for the trailer. It overscans which means it's just an aftereffect to make the trailer look better.

I also agree with the earlier point about a few parts of the animation that need tweaking - I am sure they will do this.

gamepro said:
The server seems pretty bad, made some torrents
On my new and improved tracker

Hey ho, I'm getting max speed my line will allow from Kikizo itself - everyone else getting decent speed?

BTW your torrent filesize for the video interview seems too small, you might wanna check the vid is available "in full".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Trailer looked new to me. It had some same footage and music/style of the first trailer, but there was some new bits + a new HUD that I've never seen before

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I'm absolutely positive they are the same. I ran them side by side, completely identical. Again, this trailer was not available on game's website, I think, but rather posted here by someone who probably ripped it from the Famitsu.

Marconelly said:
Yeah, I'm absolutely positive they are the same. I ran them side by side, completely identical. Again, this trailer was not available on game's website, I think, but rather posted here by someone who probably ripped it from the Famitsu.

I can tell you it was not "ripped" from Famitsu, rather got from Sony. Oh well, first viewing for many, still...

Also begs the question, if you have been in posession of footage that most people, Sony staff included (!) have not seen before, why didn't you share it!?!

bobafett

Black_Mamba said:
I'm 99% sure this will be my GOTY, but watching the new trailer I can see they still have a lot of optimization to do. There're some jerky animations there, and it seems to be pushing the hardware way beyond its limits.

Best theme music ever, btw.

IAWTP.

Marconelly said:
This trailer is the exact same thing as the video I have on my harddrive, dated September 20, 2004. I'm sure it was posted on this forum, maybe rip from some Famitsu disk. Most of it is a carbon copy footage from an even older trailer.

Are you sure? The first footage is from september 23. I think it debuted at TGS.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wario64 said:
Trailer looked new to me. It had some same footage and music/style of the first trailer, but there was some new bits + a new HUD that I've never seen before

I'm sure the HUD has been in past trailers, and at the very least past pictures.

Grizzlyjin said:
I'm sure the HUD has been in past trailers, and at the very least past pictures.

For the record, the original TGS trailer cuts from September and October are in that original article for convenience. There's definitely no HUD and obviously they're both over a minute shorter. :)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
KyotoMecca said:
For the record, the original TGS trailer cuts from September and October are in that original article for convenience. There's definitely no HUD and obviously they're both over a minute shorter. :)

Yeah, no doubt about that. I'm just saying the HUD isn't new, I've seen it before. Maybe it was just me...but there was a picture posted from http://www.namakoteam.com/wanda/ in late February, that's why I recognize the HUD.

What bothers me is that despite my hoping that Wanda will be 100X the commercial performance of Ico, even on fan-packed GAF it always seems to be only the same 10-15 people discussing in Wanda topics. Compared to attention that other key titles get, it is not much, and that seems consistent in other forums (gamespot, etc) as well. Anyone else notice / agree with this?

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
The footage with the HUD is among the oldest -- it was there when the game was first revealed on September 10th (the day those pics on namakoteam's site were leaked), and has since been removed.

brandonnn said:
The footage with the HUD is among the oldest -- it was there when the game was first revealed on September 10th (the day those pics on namakoteam's site were leaked), and has since been removed.

I saw footage that lasted about 5 minutes at TGS in a private screening but most of that has yet to see the light of day...! I am sure they'll keep it that way and just unveil more tarted up footage, a la Zelda trailer strategy. :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
WTF is it with the uber-light washed out look? Interesting visual style, but what little I could make out looked ugly as hell. Blocky and distinctly lacking in smoothness. I don't get the appeal. :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Also begs the question, if you have been in posession of footage that most people, Sony staff included (!) have not seen before, why didn't you share it!?!
Because I got it from this forum! Someone else had it posted here.

Are you sure? The first footage is from september 23. I think it debuted at TGS.
Datestamp from the file: September 20, 2004, 7:46:55 PM

Dragmire

Perhaps it was the quality of the trailer, but I didn't find it impressive at all. In fact it made the game look kind of ugly. Any links to a quicktime or avi trailer?

Ironclad

That flying colossus looks absolutely great. I love how he was standing on his horse and then vaults off to reach it. I really hope they bring this to the U.S.

KyotoMecca said:
What bothers me is that despite my hoping that Wanda will be 100X the commercial performance of Ico, even on fan-packed GAF it always seems to be only the same 10-15 people discussing in Wanda topics. Compared to attention that other key titles get, it is not much, and that seems consistent in other forums (gamespot, etc) as well. Anyone else notice / agree with this?
Maybe most people just don't find this type of game interesting? I know I don't. Looks brown, boring, and meh... couldn't care about enemies that take up the whole screen.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, it's so incredible. Also towards the end you get a glimpse of a character on the floor that has horns. I bet you that this game will have more of a connection to ICO then we expect. I'm skeptical about this "spirtual successor" stuff, some of the game looks suspiciously like it has ties to the previous. Even the outfit the main character is wearing shares striking similarities, and I don't think that's merely because the art style is similar. And that boy with the horns at the end of the trailer looked straight out of ICO, yo.

Ironclad

Amir0x said:
Man, it's so incredible. Also towards the end you get a glimpse of a character on the floor that has horns. I bet you that this game will have more of a connection to ICO then we expect. I'm skeptical about this "spirtual successor" stuff, some of the game looks suspiciously like it has ties to the previous. Even the outfit the main character is wearing shares striking similarities, and I don't think that's merely because the art style is similar. And that boy with the horns at the end of the trailer looked straight out of ICO, yo.
That character with the horns looks extremely like the main character. Maybe it's just me but they look the same. Maybe it's just an equippable item.

Ironclad

neptunes said:
nah, the main character has red hair, the one shown near the of trailer has black

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/7128/huhwtf8mp.jpg
You're right but it is extremely hard to tell from those screens. It looks like a hat to me but oh well. Maybe there is some crazy twin thing going on where the main character's twin has the horns like Ico did. Of course, I am just speculating. Letting my imagination run wild.

Odnetnin

Banned
Um. Doesn't look too impressive IMO. Many the video ain't that great but my first impression (from the bird) was need polygons. And that impression carried across t the horse + etc. Interesting visual style though. Wasn't sure if I liked it in ICO. If RE4 = too brown. What's this.. too ... um cyanny?

Some of the bosses look incredible though. OMG @ fucking sky dragony type colussus.

epmode

BuddyC said:
I can't believe I'm still on media blackout mode for this. I must be the only one :(
me too! i still haven't seen a single video of this game, and only about 4 screenshots. can't wait.

Top Bottom