• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want the Regular New 3DS in NA? Let Nintendo Know! Find out how in here!

BooJoh

What?? Uh, no. Your concern regarding this campaign and that type of scenario are both pretty over the top and not realistic at all. You really think NOA would so badly misinterpret this kind of fan campaign that they would actually consider eventually cutting North America out of the handheld market itself? No, you don't really think that. Even if they were insane and audacious enough to try and pull something ridiculous like that, NCL would go into Death Star mode at that point and step in pretty swiftly on that one. That's like NOA trying to *not* make money for themselves and NCL.

I take no issue with the campaign (except for game boycotts.) I just think a large scale boycott of a struggling market could hurt both the companies involved and the end-user.

No, I don't foresee boycotts gaining enough traction to make a dent in n3DS sales, and there was hyperbole and even a bit of sarcasm on my part. I just feel like there's a fine line to walk between making Nintendo know we want the smaller model and making Nintendo think we don't want their handhelds. A few years ago people were declaring the death of the 3DS and the rise of mobile as a replacement for handheld gaming consoles, and that's a future I don't want to see, let alone be part of the problem.

We're on the same side here. I want regular n3DS very badly. I'm just not willing to go without, or worse, turn my back on handheld gaming over it.

I will not be purchasing the n3DSXL and I have also voiced my opinions to NoA. I have written my disappointment to them since the direct last month. I won't boycott games though, I don't see how that could help the cause.

I take no issue with the campaign (except for game boycotts.) I just think a large scale boycott of a struggling market could hurt both the companies involved and the end-user.

No, I don't foresee boycotts gaining enough traction to make a dent in n3DS sales, and there was hyperbole and even a bit of sarcasm on my part. I just feel like there's a fine line to walk between making Nintendo know we want the smaller model and making Nintendo think we don't want their handhelds. A few years ago people were declaring the death of the 3DS and the rise of mobile as a replacement for handheld gaming consoles, and that's a future I don't want to see, let alone be part of the problem.

We're on the same side here. I want regular n3DS very badly. I'm just not willing to go without, or worse, turn my back on handheld gaming over it.

Nobody here is 'turning their backs on handheld gaming' by declining to buy a N3DSXL nor is exercising consumer perogative by choosing not to buy an inferior sku going to imperile the future of dedicated portable gaming. That's a whole other subject with far greater variables. The fact folks like me are willing to keep their OG 3DS systems AND import regular N3DS units (not to mention the poster on the previous page who is opting for a Vita) speaks volumes about the quality of dedicated portable games vs mobile. As long as Nintendo keeps producing quality portable games, we keep buying them and Iwata remains committed to them, then dedicated Nintendo portables should still have a pretty bright future.

The only party turning their backs on anything in this scenario is NOA who is stubbornly ignoring existing demographics (kids, people with smaller hands, people who need the form factor and don't want PPI loss) by refusing to offer an attractive option available in all other territories just to satisfy their own narrow minded interpretation of how THEY think the NA market should BE, not how it IS which in reality consists of gamers and customers with needs and tastes which are far more varied than THEY are willing to admit. NOA are the ones who should be "walking a fine line" right now in how they treat their customers. Anyways, that's all the more I have to say for now.

Hooray for all the people refusing to purchase an XL! I think we need to start an e-mailing campaign again at launch to tell them that we won't be buying the XL. I'm not that confident of it doing much because it's the incompetence that's NoA, but not sure what else we can do for them to hear us.

BondFancy

Hooray for all the people refusing to purchase an XL! I think we need to start an e-mailing campaign again at launch to tell them that we won't be buying the XL. I'm not that confident of it doing much because it's the incompetence that's NoA, but not sure what else we can do for them to hear us.

Me trying to not buy a 3ds
LtYOiUO.jpg

The struggle...

I refuse to buy the XL, simple as that.

It's 2015 and Nintendo is trying to get me to spend $200 on a sub-100 PPI handheld. Come on. Give us the smaller model.

Fireblend

Banned
I love my XL, I think it's perfectly sized for me and will undoubtedly love my new MM XL, but I'm with you guys the regular one should be available too (I would happily buy one as well >_> I love the 3DS too much). I've already called Ninty and sent emails to their CS, so you guys have my sword.

Just ordered my black n3DS from Amazon France. I'll be keeping it on firmware 9.0. Now, here's to hoping that it gets hacked to high heaven and back.

Fuck you, NoA. Fuck you.

So yeah I ordered a PAL regular black n3DS yesterday since it was a crazy good price with shipping at around 140 euro.
I am with you guys. I think I am done with the XL for awhile.

Honestly if you really need the new system, you can give money to NoE or NoJ and not NoA. Vote with your wallets.

ffdgh

So yeah I ordered a PAL regular black n3DS yesterday since it was a crazy good price with shipping at around 140 euro.

Honestly if you really need the new system, you can give money to NoE or NoJ and not NoA. Vote with your wallets.

I would...but region lock is too much of a hassle for me.

Playing the MH4U demo on both thr old OG 3DS and XL sealed the deal

Bought the Monster Hunter N3DS asap.

That said its awful that the other model was excluded.

Fight the good fight!

BondFancy

I would...but region lock is too much of a hassle for me.

Completely agree. This is why region locking is so anti-consumer and ridiculous. In a rational world I'd import one and everything would be awesome, but instead big brother NOA makes the decision for me.

do7ai5g.jpg

Don Mattrick vibes are real...

antibolo

Banned

Well that's the point, it's not an option at all due to fucking region locking. I already have an existing 3DS game library, mostly digital.

If it were all region free I would do it in a heartbeat, but I can't.

Well that's the point, it's not an option at all due to fucking region locking. I already have an existing 3DS game library, mostly digital.

If it were all region free I would do it in a heartbeat, but I can't.
I agree with you. I mostly meant don't buy an XL just because.
Also 99% of games already released will not really do anything special with the new system that the old one + CPP couldn't do except Smash because Smash.

BondFancy

Has anyone tweeted reggie or noa on the matter and had a response to it?

I just tweeted:

"@NintendoAmerica Congrats on the N3DSXL NA launch! Now let's talk about that N3DS regular size coming stateside! Any new info regarding it?"

Now let's see if they respond.

Dartastic

My friend imported a regular N3DS. I finally got to play one for the first time tonight. It verified EVERYTHING I suspected, as I had played an XL at Gamestop a couple of weeks ago. Nintendo, GODDAMNIT. THE NORMAL N3DS IS GREAT. WHYYYYYYYYYYY

Seriously, between this bullshit and the ridiculous Amiibo stuff, it's legitimately damaging my ability to give a shit about Nintendo.

I just tweeted:

"@NintendoAmerica Congrats on the N3DSXL NA launch! Now let's talk about that N3DS regular size coming stateside! Any new info regarding it?"

Now let's see if they respond.

Probably something along the lines of "We have nothing to announce at this time". So terrible, as I don't even want one right now but I'd buy the regular size in a heart beat just to do it. The nub feels so damn good.

BondFancy

Probably something along the lines of "We have nothing to announce at this time". So terrible, as I don't even want one right now but I'd buy the regular size in a heart beat just to do it. The nub feels so damn good.

Believe me I'm not holding my breath lol. If they sold the N3DS regular I'd be throwing money at them.

Capra

Just sent an email. I hope this works out. As someone who doesn't own a 3DS and never liked the size of the XL, I would buy the regular in a heartbeat.

My local GameStop manager said that their nintendo rep is adamant that the regular n3ds is not coming here, ever.

:/

Wow. I know information from GameStop employees often needs to be taken with a big grain of salt but that's discouraging. NOA is really in a league of its own. Looks like I will be importing a N3DS as I am "adamant" that I will never be buying a N3DSXL, not ever. As I've been planning all along, I'll do a region/firmware workaround of some kind and will just keep my Ambassador 3DS for my VC/eShop content.

Dartastic

Wow. I know information from GameStop employees often needs to be taken with a big grain of salt but that's discouraging. NOA is really in a league of its own. Looks like I will be importing a N3DS as I am "adamant" that I will never be buying a N3DSXL, not ever. As I've been planning all along, I'll do a region/firmware workaround of some kind and will just keep my Ambassador 3DS for my VC/eShop content.
Have there been any updates on that yet?

Mortemis

Banned
Got a reply from CS today, basically the same response everyone else got.

The New is not that big of an upgrade so I'm not in any hurry.

I've lost most hope, but still not going to buy a new XL. Everyone should might as well just wait for nintendo's next handheld like I am.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm traveling to Europe next month and I'm so damn tempted to pick one up :( I'm pretty sure I'm at least picking up a couple of faceplates in the off chance the console ever makes it here :(

Damn NoA.

It's an even greater shame when the N3DS is a tad bigger than the fairly small original 3DS, but not monstrously large like the XL (at the expense of its pixel density). It would have been a good middle ground.

UberTag

New 3DS Gateway update is almost certainly coming on Sunday which allows region free on the system. System has to be FW9.2 or below though.
I'm guessing it's impossible to import a New 3DS with FW9.2 or below on board, right? Because that would be too easy.

Probably pointless and will likely just go to an intern but I just tweeted this at NOA's feed:

@CrowTGamer: @NintendoAmerica Is it true GameStop employees are being told by NOA reps there are no plans to release the regular N3DS in North America?

Dartastic

New 3DS Gateway update is almost certainly coming on Sunday which allows region free on the system. System has to be FW9.2 or below though.
Are there any ways yet to just put the U.S. OS on the system so you can have full access like you bought the system in America?

Seriously contemplating getting the original one again if i can get it for dirt cheap. It seems we' ll be waiting for a while, to not say forever.

Are there any ways yet to just put the U.S. OS on the system so you can have full access like you bought the system in America?

Maybe someone could clarify or correct if needed, but I think someone posted earlier per information from the GBA Temp community that supposedly this isn't possible because apparently the 3DS has code keys which are imbedded in the hardware which are needed in order to validate the system to be authorized to use the eShop. So based on this, even if a Euro or Japanese unit was flashed with an American OS, you probably wouldn't be able to access the U.S. shop let alone do a system transfer.

Assuming this doesn't change, this is why I plan on keeping my Ambassador OG 3DS for all of my eShop content and will use my N3DS for carts assuming I can get a 9.2 unit and install homebrew. I always bring an extra portable with me in addition to my 3DS when I travel and aside from that, I do most of my portable gaming at home anyways so this will be very workable. Doesn't seem like a big deal simply to reach across the couch or the table to get my OG 3DS if I need to switch it up and play some VC or eShop games. It's just the age old, common scenario of owning more than one version of an existing Nintendo portable, just not an extra unit that's bulky and has poor PPI.

Drago

I'm guessing it's impossible to import a New 3DS with FW9.2 or below on board, right? Because that would be too easy.
All EU systems right now are at 9.0, and the JP system I ordered off of Amazon JP about 2 weeks ago was at 8.1

You should be fine.

UberTag

All EU systems right now are at 9.0, and the JP system I ordered off of Amazon JP about 2 weeks ago was at 8.1

You should be fine.
Intriguing. Still have that eShop digital library dilemma, though. If only that could be patched.

mtodavk

Just saw this post and sent in a message to Nintendo.

I'd really love to have a new 3ds as I do not currently own a Nintendo portable, but the XL version is just too big and bulky.

Top Bottom