• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to see inside Retro Studios or Chinese gold farms? Then please watch...

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hi guys,

Yes, this is baldly promotional, but I've seen enough complaints about the state of video game programming on TV that I want to make sure you all know about a show that I think respects the intelligence of gamers.

Many of you also know I cover games for MTV News. I worked hard what has been called MTV Gamer's Week 2.0 was neither sophmoric nor promotional. And thanks to my bosses' support I wrote and we aired pieces on Austin's connections to Gears of War and Retro Studios (first time TV cameras got in there), Chinese gold farmers in WoW (first TV interviews with any of them that I know of), and more.

We rolled all this out on MTV and MTVNews.com over the week. The Retro piece, for example, can be viewed here: http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?name=news&id=1545687. It's part of a larger piece on Austin game development and includes a glimpse inside Retro, some bits of us hanging out with them at the gym, of all places, plus a shot of Retro's Metroid mural made of painted NES cartridges.

We're now compiling those segments into one half hour special, airing Saturday at 6PM ET/PT: "MTV News Goes Big Gaming"

If that's the kind of thing you want to see more of, then please tune in. It will help send a message about what gamers really care about.

-Stephen Totilo

stalker

Shinoobi said:
I'm not seeing anything on Retro. I just saw a thing on Austin with Midway, Ncsoft, and a lan center. Cool stuff though.

Just wait after the lan center bit. There is a second part ...

Soybean

Yeah, you have to pass another commercial, then get to part 2.

It would've been nice if there was some indication of this. I'm sure 99% of people just stop watching when they see an ad.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Dilemma,

You probably saw the trailer that documentarian Ge Jin put online. Ge Jin's full documentary, "Gold Farmer" is still in the works. He shot that trailer based on what he saw in China in January. He went back to China in June, by which time I was talking to him about his film. He agreed to give us an exclusive on his June footage, which is what we use in the piece.

For more info, on his movie check out his site: http://www.chinesegoldfarmers.com/

So wait, what? That was it? Two seconds of Metroid stuff, some guy telling us we can't see anything and then weightlifting? :/

I really like what you guys have done with MTV on the gaming side though, who'd believe MTV would become one of the better gaming sites on the net? Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom