• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhawk "Omega Dawn" Screenies + videos, details and impressions (post #226)

ChryZ

TTP said:
I dont see how u cannot win with a 7 manned Dropship and a couple of Warhawks-angels :lol
Kamikaze bombing? Warhawks spiked with mines, using terrain for cover and chaff for the last mile?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
6pg9rt3.jpg

6t5v890.jpg

8gejjhw.jpg

6wxdq90.jpg

714ezwi.jpg

72a5md3.jpg

80udw82.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ChryZ said:
Kamikaze bombing? Warhawks spiked with mines, using terrain for cover and chaff for the last mile?

I think ground turrets will be mostly valuable. Remember Dropship is kinda slow, so it get more esposed to missles/cannons from the ground. This is unless le Dropship isn't flying close to the ground obliterating every turret on its path :D

But then again there is also the enemy dropship to deal with.

It'll be fun for sure :lol

Steroyd

Sweet Jeebus. :O

I need to get back into warhawk I had a lean gaming month last month, and I've been sucking badly at Warhawk ever since. :(

And we can set up regular Gaf clan servers to, if people with meaty connections are volunteering. :D

I wonder if you can change the clan/buddy slots mid-game while you're playing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
TTP, thank you so much for this.

Ten sniper shots eh? Good to hear you can still have a fighting chance on foot.

TTP, if you get a chance...how much damage does a charged up electric bomb do to the dropship? What about a soldier rocket launcher?

slider

Hold on a damn minute - is this not up on the Euro PSN yet? (Yeah, I realise this has probably been asked at least 23 times before in this thread...)

Steroyd

It's not up on any store, and updates are usually on Thursdays.

Why do I have a feeling PAL is going to spectacularly somehow going to get the shit end of the stick with this? :(

slider

Yeah, despite my dumb question I knew updates were on Thurs. I must've got confused cos TTP was being asked all sorts of questions.

I'm gonna crawl back under a rock now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
TTP said:
- I can confirm you can indeed lift a loaded Jeep/Tank with the Dropship.
- I can confirm the Dropship cannons and turrets CAN FIRE SIMULATNEOUSLY. OMFG!
- Also notided when moving a vechile around, Dropship tends to descend if you dont manouver it. Doesn't stay still mid air but is pulled down by the extra weight.

Trying the CTF thing now...

Dropship cannons have no problems destroying incoming TOW missiles.
So damn awesome. I can't wait to see what a full-fledged firefight is going to look like to take one of these things down.

Do we have any reason to believe this coming this week? From the way they've been talking about it, I've been expecting more of a mid-december release. Can't wait, in any case.

Steroyd

Playstation blog opening sentence nearly a week ago said:
We’ve just finished development of our v1.2 patch and our first Booster Pack, Operation: Omega Dawn!...which is very different than “Red Dawn” or “Dawn of the Dead” :)

:D

Steroyd

True plus with Sony's Q&A testing probably means it gets delayed by a month, but it's the only bit of hope we can cling onto.

neogaf1.gif

The Jer

Those picks answered my question. The Island Battle layout must be different from the Island Battle* layout (also has that symbol).

Steroyd

:lol

Steroyd: Oh shit there's a tank in our base HELP!!

Sea_Manky: Whom whom whom whom whom

-----------------------------------------------------

Steroyd: Oh shit, they nicked the flag, GET HIM!!

Freethought: Whom whom whom whom whom

-----------------------------------------------------

And the flag dissapears off the radar to, can you imagine.

Other team: Where the shit has their flag gone? *scratches head*

Which has made me think, if you destroy the dropship while carrying a vehicle will all of it get destroyed, or will the Vehicle break free fall on the ground and drive on?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Jer said:
Those picks answered my question. The Island Battle layout must be different from the Island Battle* layout (also has that symbol).

Well, it's not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Steroyd said:
I wonder if you can change the clan/buddy slots mid-game while you're playing.

hmm.. no.

methane47 said:
I have a question.

Are you able to pick up vehicles when your enemies are inside it?

No. Only empty or allied ones.

chubigans said:
TTP, if you get a chance...how much damage does a charged up electric bomb do to the dropship? What about a soldier rocket launcher?

Fully charged electric bomb: around 1/7th of the energy bar
Rocket Launcher: around same as electric bomb

btw, Binocs kill the Dropship in one shot.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Just watched the videos. I can't believe how much firepower it takes to take down a dropship! There's going to be some insaaaaaaane dogfighting. Seeing two dropships fighting it out in the sky is going to be amazing, like watching 2 pirate ships attacking each other, but you know, in the sky. :D

acabado

Banned
Does it will have some sort of matchmaking? I would like to get with my buddies on a dedicated server for some ranked matching.

The Chef

Thanks for the impressions TTP

I a couple questions, sorry if you already answered either of them already.

If the dropship is, say carrying a tank or jeep and the dropship gets destroyed - will the jeep/tank fall to the ground or will it explode as well?

And secondly along those same lines - is there a height limit on when you can no longer drop your tank/jeep to the ground? Or can you be soaring above the clouds and drop your tank right into the enemies base?

Firewire

Banned
A bit off topic!

WARHAWK COMPETITION

wk1.jpg

"Calling all trench monkeys, starting next week, we will be running a Warhawk Competition open to 32 Three Speech users. There will be two preliminary sessions of 16 people with a final featuring the top four from each group, thus eight in total.

Listen closely as this is about to get detailed.

The first preliminary session will take place on Monday December 10 at 5pm (GMT) and will be made up of three games. The first two will be 10 minute warm ups - death matches. The third game will be a 15 minute dogfight to ensure it’s a level playing field. The top four players from the dogfight will proceed to the final.

The second preliminary session will take place on Wednesday December 12, also at 5pm (GMT) and will be in the same format as the first preliminary session.

The final will take place on Friday December 14, again at 5pm (GMT), with eight finalists. There will be one 10 minute warm up game which will be a free for all. The final game to decide the first, second and third places will be a 20 minute dogfight.

The games need to start at 5pm (GMT) to ensure we can monitor the winners of each round. The password will only be given out to the 16 people playing in each game and we will need everybody’s PSN ID so that we can verify the correct people are playing. Players can only take part on their allocated day.

To take part please make sure you will be available to play at 5pm (GMT) on all days and mail us at blog@threespeech.com with your name and PSN ID, so we can confirm your place in the respective game and send you the password.

The first, second and third place winners will receive a rather nice Warhawk trophy"

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=768

The Jer

TTP said:
Well, it's not.

Really?

I thought the dropship was only for people who buy the new map (?).
And they added the dropship to the old maps. So I'd assume that people who bought the expansion and wanted to play with the dropship on an old map layout would be unable to play with those who didn't buy the expansion.

So, I assumed the asterisk (and the omega dawn symbol) would be meant to show that this is the same layout, except that the dropship has been added. So, Island Battle* would be the same layout as Island Battle, except that it would have dropships.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how they'd differentiate between the version that has the dropships and the version that doesn't.

They said they'd be adding the dropship to the largest layout for each of the old maps and Island Battle is the largest layout for Island Outpost. So it seemed like a decent assumption to make.

If it was confusing before, by "different" I meant that it would be the same layout but with the dropship, which would make it different from the layout we are used to.

Thanks, in advance, for clarifying

keyrat

Hey TTP,

How easy is it to ride on the drop ship without being inside it? It's possible on the warhawks but as soon as they move forward you usually fall off.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
kenta said:
TTP, you got a real capture setup now? What kind of equipment are you using?

Intensity + fast enough PC/HDD to cope with the HD video feed.

The Chef said:
If the dropship is, say carrying a tank or jeep and the dropship gets destroyed - will the jeep/tank fall to the ground or will it explode as well?

Jeep/tank will just fall to the ground without sufferring any damage whatever the height.
Well, unless they fall into the ocean :D

The Chef said:
And secondly along those same lines - is there a height limit on when you can no longer drop your tank/jeep to the ground? Or can you be soaring above the clouds and drop your tank right into the enemies base?

No. You have to be around 20m/60ft above any allowed landing area to drop a vechicle. You cant drop vehicles in water.

The Jer said:
If it was confusing before, by "different" I meant that it would be the same layout but with the dropship, which would make it different from the layout we are used to.

Ah ok. Yeah, that's the case. Map layout (structure/color/items locations) is the very same, but with just one of the Warhawks replaced with a Dropship. You have to be in a Team based game tho. No dropships in free-for-all games. I also noticed there are no Dropship available in some maps when playing CTF. Like in Destroyed Capitol or Achipelago, you get to select the "Dropship version" of there maps only for Zones, not CTF. I think CTF Dropships are only available on the biggest maps like Eucadia, Island Outpost or The Badlands. And of course in the new Omega Dawn map.

keyrat said:
Hey TTP,

How easy is it to ride on the drop ship without being inside it? It's possible on the warhawks but as soon as they move forward you usually fall off.

It's the same as with the Warhawk. It's very easy locally via splitscreen, but I guess online u'll be slinding more and eventually falling off if pilot doesnt move very slowly.

The Chef

TTP said:
Jeep/tank will just fall to the ground without sufferring any damage whatever the height.
Well, unless they fall into the ocean :D

:lol omg that is going to guarantee some hilarious moments for sure

User 406

Banned
TTP, you mentioned that the driver of the vehicle can hit triangle to detach from the dropship, does the altitude restriction apply to that as well? I sure hope not.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Sea Manky said:
TTP, you mentioned that the driver of the vehicle can hit triangle to detach from the dropship, does the altitude restriction apply to that as well? I sure hope not.

Oh man, ejecting a tank thousands of feet in the air...I must know the answer to this too. :lol

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
So there still is no party system for you and your buddies to join a game together and get on the same team hunh?

spwolf

[CFD] El Capitan said:
So there still is no party system for you and your buddies to join a game together and get on the same team hunh?

nope, but buddy list works fine since 1.1 patch so it isnt hard to do anymore.

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
spwolf said:
nope, but buddy list works fine since 1.1 patch so it isnt hard to do anymore.

Ah the join function works better? Nice.

I guess you can just create a game for your buddies too now which is awesome. We really need some voicechat squads like RFoM though.

Some great new info TTP, I'm digging those new server options. You've probably answered this but can the dropship pick up the flag carrier in a vehicle. The lack of a dropship in CTF on Archipelago seems to suggest so. A new CTF layout where you need the dropship would be cool. Any ideas on UK pricing.

Oh, one more thing, for Sea Manky's peace of mind, how much damage does a land mine do?

crunker99

unless i have missed it for the past week, this add on is NOT OUT YET ANYWHERE

usa or otherwise

just to clear that up for anyone else who reads this thread and finds it unclear

THE OMEGA ADD ON IS NOT OUT YET, and if it is, its very very well hidden

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sea Manky said:

It does. It's just the same as with leaving the co-pilot seat of a Warhawk: u gotta wait for the pilot to land. It's just a different button (triangle instead of square - as square is for leaving the vehicle).

kenta said:
That's the exact card I've been eyeing for a while now. What software are you using to capture?

The one included with the Intesity Package. It's called Media Express. Pretty straightforward software.

Remember u need a PS3 Test to grab HDMI cos video out is copy-protected. If I plug the retail system I dont see shit.

If u have a retail system, I suggest u go for a component capture card (the is no copyprotection on that).

freethought said:
You've probably answered this but can the dropship pick up the flag carrier in a vehicle.
85xjkzl.jpg

Check previous page for more info on the matter. ;)

freethought said:
Oh, one more thing, for Sea Manky's peace of mind, how much damage does a land mine do?

I'll check that later but I guess Dropship can sustain 4 land mines explosions.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
kenta said:
That's the exact card I've been eyeing for a while now. What software are you using to capture?
When I used a Blackmagic card Virtualdub was the best free application I could find to capture HD stuff.
Otherwise Adobe Premiere is excellent.

kenta

Has no PEINS
TTP said:
The one included with the Intesity Package. It's called Media Express. Pretty straightforward software.

Remember u need a PS3 Test to grab HDMI cos video out is copy-protected. If I plug the retail system I dont see shit.

If u have a retail system, I suggest u go for a component capture card (the is no copyprotection on that).
Yeah I figured you had a test unit, I'd actually get the Intensity Pro and just use the component adapter. Glad to hear the included software is pretty good, too.

Blim, I'm familiar with VirtualDub but I don't have the patience to figure out its nuances since there are a bajillion options. I use DScaler right now for S-Video capture but I know that can't handle HD or else I'd totally use it. Thanks though

User 406

Banned
Now what will be interesting will be putting land mines on your dropship with the intention of surviving your kamikaze attack. :p

Top Bottom