• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Montreal (ArkhamOrigins) making 2 DC AAA games (Suicide Squad, Superman?)

Man of Steel made me take the Superman poster off my wall. It had been there for eight years.

I would like to distance myself from all modern incarnations of Superman.

But who knows how it could turn out.

new 52 superman ain't so bad

4145338-3341666227-super.jpg

Please do not make a Superman game. It cannot be done unless you weaken him through plot devices, and then you are just not even playing as Superman anymore. Please no.

I think he's at his best when he's saving people. The games need more of that than the fighting. When it comes to fights he has plenty of enemies who can challenge him just like he does in the comics. They just need to make sure they aren't throwing street thugs at you.

NMFried

I just want Rocksteady to make A) a Bat Family game set in the New 52-verse or B) a Justice League game.

But Suicide Squad or Superman for the Origins team seems fine.

Please do not make a Superman game. It cannot be done unless you weaken him through plot devices, and then you are just not even playing as Superman anymore. Please no.

naw m8

I just want Rocksteady to make A) a Bat Family game set in the New 52-verse or B) a Justice League game.

But Suicide Squad or Superman for the Origins team seems fine.

batman eternal as a video game would be insane. also likely very bad because that arc doesn't really lend itself to a video game well. but still insane.

Madness

There was a ton of Superman mentions and Easter eggs in Arkham Knight. Maybe they want to capitalize on the exposure that will happen with Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad next year? I doubt Suicide Squad considering what happens in the Arkham series. I mean Knight even had the Lex Luthor voice-mail, the cameo, all the billboards etc. Definitely some cross world building going on there.

NMFried

batman eternal as a video game would be insane. also likely very bad because that arc doesn't really lend itself to a video game well. but still insane.

The current arc of Batman & Robin Eternal would work well. Flashbacks of Dick and Bats taking on Scarecrow and modern missions of Grayson, Red Hood, Red Robin, Bluebird, etc. (Plus Midnighter could pop in and say hello.)

I can't see them making a new Superman game since Rocksteady didn't leave them any of the groundwork for them to build from. Though, I can see them doing a Suicide Squad game after having the dual combat mechanic and more unique character abilities introduced in Arkham Knight with Red Hood and Harley.

How is deciding I don't like Superman anymore an overreaction?

I was incredibly selective. The only Superman comics I actually like are Birthright and All Star Superman.

But the whole point of Superman is that he is supposed to be an ideal and exists outside his fiction.

Man of Steel just showed me that Superman's stories would never be what I wanted them to be. So I moved on.

The two best "Superman" stories aren't even Superman stories. They're Disney's Hercules and The Iron Giant. At least I have those.

Have you read Superman: Secret Identity? I don't even like Superman all that much, but I thought it was a fantastic read. It sounds like it might be up your alley.

pizzacat

Banned

I was incredibly selective. The only Superman comics I actually like are Birthright and All Star Superman.

But the whole point of Superman is that he is supposed to be an ideal and exists outside his fiction.

Man of Steel just showed me that Superman's stories would never be what I wanted them to be. So I moved on.

The two best "Superman" stories aren't even Superman stories. They're Disney's Hercules and The Iron Giant. At least I have those.
Well you're right there. The best supes stories are the ones that involve him not being superman

Red Son being my favorite. He has his charm but it doesn't interest me if he's not with someone else

Like GA wouldn't interest me at all unless he's dicking around with flash

I can't see them making a new Superman game since Rocksteady didn't leave them any of the groundwork for them to build from. Though, I can see them doing a Suicide Squad game after having the dual combat mechanic and more unique character abilities introduced in Arkham Knight with Red Hood and Harley.

Origins was quite a while ago- I seriously doubt that Warner Montreal has been waiting for a Rocksteady hand off. Given all of the hints I expect that Suicide Squad has likely been in full production for two years now and will release in the second half of 2016.

Arkham Origins is actually the best one.

One of the best stories. Mechanics, not so much.

Origins was quite a while ago- I seriously doubt that Warner Montreal has been waiting for a Rocksteady hand off. Given all of the hints I expect that Suicide Squad has likely been in full production for two years now and will release in the second half of 2016.

Never said they are waiting on them. For example I'm sure there was a point where they were working on Origins and Knight at the same time. My point is that WB Montreal has yet to make their own game from scratch. And that if there is a Suicide Squad game more likely than not it will share a bunch of mechanics that were introduced in Arkham Knight.

There are only two ways I can see a Superman game working.

1) Superman is stuck in the Phantom Zone and the whole thing is basically a superpowered version of Shadow of Mordor; villains and villainous races everywhere with the nemesis system.

2) Superman has all his powers taken away by a Red Sun and you slowly do things to make the sun appear normally over the course of the game to give you back your abilities.

Madness

But why have all those mentions and possible world building and Superman/Lex Luthor/LuthorCorp easter eggs in Knight if they'd make a Suicide Squad game that would just disregard the Arkhamverse altogether? I mean have you been following the game play of the Arkham games or stories? How will they utilize Joker, Harley, Killer Croc, Deadshot after 3 games utilizing many of these characters? Obviously they'd want to capitalize on the movie, but I don't know. Who knows though, Superman is probably one of the hardest superheroes to make a game for. How would he necessarily tie in as well. Superman Returns was a bust in terms of being a game etc.

1) Superman is stuck in the Phantom Zone and the whole thing is basically a superpowered version of Shadow of Mordor; villains and villainous races everywhere with the nemesis system.

2) Superman has all his powers taken away by a Red Sun and you slowly do things to make the sun appear normally over the course of the game to give you back your abilities.

I'm not sure that I actually want either one of these games but these are probably the two most reasonable ideas I've read of what an actual shippable Superman game could end up being. Especially the Mordor idea given the Warner connection.

The second idea is kind of interesting where I can see the end of the game is this almost Journey-like moment where you regain full flight and really just let loose. But it doesn't position things easily for a potential follow-up.

delSai

There needs to be a new Punisher game where you can work your way through a mob hierarchy by interrogating thugs and lieutenants to get to the kingpins. #INMYDREAMS

This sound like a pretty cool idea. Maybe WB can use Red Hood instead of Punisher (because thats not possible lol) and make a game like that.

Alienous

Create a Superman game where you experience battles in Superman's life in reverse order.

These are good ideas.

Whatever they do I better get to play in Metropolis. I don't want a Superman game where I'm stuck in an alternate dimension or alien world the whole time. I mean, it would be cool but do regular Supes first.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I think Superman is just too difficult to make into a game. The transitions between flight and ground combat and outdoor/indoor locations would be too awkward. And then his powers need to be balanced.

Ahhhh, good now we are getting some more news / rumors on what coming up on WB's slate. Given how excellent the last year has been for them it makes sense for them to start ramping up development some more.

Really excited to see a growing AAA publisher in the space. Its a great thing for the industry.

Also yeah Suicide Squad and Superman makes an awful lot of sense.

Granjinha

There needs to be a new Punisher game where you can work your way through a mob hierarchy by interrogating thugs and lieutenants to get to the kingpins. #INMYDREAMS

Yeah, The Punisher can be a incredible game. I loved the PS2 one.

Shame that Marvel is the one that holds that IP. :(

It's pretty close, mechanics wise. Storywise its easily the best one. Nothing from Rocksteady came close.

Ahhhh, good now we are getting some more news / rumors on what coming up on WB's slate. Given how excellent the last year has been for them it makes sense for them to start ramping up development some more.

Really excited to see a growing AAA publisher in the space. Its a great thing for the industry.

Also yeah Suicide Squad and Superman makes an awful lot of sense.

I wanted them to countinue the Warner Vault thing, though. Gauntlet was pretty fun and a sucess, from what i can see. :(

I think Superman is just too difficult to make into a game. The transitions between flight and ground combat and outdoor/indoor locations would be too awkward. And then his powers need to be balanced.
I'm really glad some of ya'll aren't game developers. No imagination or will to push through problems at all.

Some Nobody

There's a list of comics a mile long that show how cool Supes can be. I'm not even a Superman fan and I can rattle off five, easy. (Superman: Secret Origins, Superman and the Legion, The Curse of Superman, Superman for All Seasons, Up Up and Away.). Don't write them off because of one crap film.

OT: Superman with lessened powers would be dull, guys.

Banned
Suicide Squad seems like it's gonna flop with all those characters. Might end up being a dynasty warriors game with DC villains. /s

I couldn't care less about Superman. Give me green arrow or the flash.

But why have all those mentions and possible world building and Superman/Lex Luthor/LuthorCorp easter eggs in Knight if they'd make a Suicide Squad game that would just disregard the Arkhamverse altogether? I mean have you been following the game play of the Arkham games or stories? How will they utilize Joker, Harley, Killer Croc, Deadshot after 3 games utilizing many of these characters? Obviously they'd want to capitalize on the movie, but I don't know. Who knows though, Superman is probably one of the hardest superheroes to make a game for. How would he necessarily tie in as well. Superman Returns was a bust in terms of being a game etc.

I play all the Arkham Games religiously. While I dug the easter eggs in the game, I never thought of them as anything more than little nods to enrich the game world. Giving players a sense that things were bigger than just Gotham.

I can see how some people might see that as them setting up for the next game. For example the secret room in AA with the Arkham City plans, and the Scarecrows ship in AC.

I'm really glad some of ya'll aren't game developers. No imagination or will to push through problems at all.

I totally feel like a Superman game could be done well. I just think that some things fans would be looking for would have to be condensed. For one, the scale of the world. A huge metropolis would be awesome to fly around in, but then how lifeless would it feel on the ground level. I guess an important thing would be to take Superman's character and abilities down to some key pillars. Similar how RS did it with Batman with traversal, investigation, predator and combat. Would it be a metropolis based Superman or a more worldly Superman?

^this should just be a new thread. lol

I want a Superman game that captures moments like this one.

Always the first thing my mind jumps to when thinking of Supes.

This page is literally my all-time favorite Superman page. This is MY Superman. I'm so glad you posted this.

Whenever people ask why I like Superman even though I don't like 99% of his comics, I show them this page.

BiggNife

Suicide Squad has supposedly been in some form of development since Origins so I would hope they have something to show for it soon.

Also as much as everyone wants the second game to be Superman isn't it more likely to be Origins 2? Rocksteady said they're done with Batman games but I doubt that means WB is done with Batman games.

Drayco21

I play all the Arkham Games religiously. While I dug the easter eggs in the game, I never thought of them as anything more than little nods to enrich the game world. Giving players a sense that things were bigger than just Gotham.

I can see how some people might see that as them setting up for the next game. For example the secret room in AA with the Arkham City plans, and the Scarecrows ship in AC.

Arkham Origins and Blackgate straight up used post-credit stingers to build up to the Suicide Squad for something in-universe. That's going beyond just being cool easter eggs, the final note both of those games end on is that Waller is building up to a thing. The whole thing feels a lot more like deliberate world building then just random easter eggs like the Crazy Quilt laundromats in Knight- for both the Squad and Supes.

Stiler

They need to make a good Superman game and stop trying to shoehorn it into some "gamey" game (IE flying through rings...) or making it super-dark and like "Batman; Arkham" games.

Let Superman BE Superman. Have a huge open world, allow you a sandbox to play in, with quests and things to find and discover with branchign storylines (think of the Witcher).

Do not "restrict" him, let him be fully capable of doing what Superman does.

Also as much as everyone wants the second game to be Superman isn't it more likely to be Origins 2? Rocksteady said they're done with Batman games but I doubt that means WB is done with Batman games.
Fingers crossed. I'd love to see what WB Montreal can do with a pure Batman game given a full dev cycle and budget.

I'm super excited for what WB has in store. It will be refreshing to see a DC video game that isn't just another Batman title. Superman deserves another shot at a great game and I hope this leads to other DC projects like Flash or Green Lantern if they're successful.

My man. Pak's run is a great read and I recommend it to all Superman fans.

Shaanyboi

Banned
They need to make a good Superman game and stop trying to shoehorn it into some "gamey" game (IE flying through rings...) or making it super-dark and like "Batman; Arkham" games.

Let Superman BE Superman. Have a huge open world, allow you a sandbox to play in, with quests and things to find and discover with branchign storylines (think of the Witcher).

Do not "restrict" him, let him be fully capable of doing what Superman does.
Except Superman is still so OP that "doing what Superman does" creates a shit-ton of gameplay problems to solve.

Like Green Lantern, the use of his powers rely a ton on creativity. The second you put any kind of limit (which are necessary for a feasible game), it becomes disingenuous. Batman works in that framework, but Superman doesn't.

The Mechanics were great. The detective mode stuff was awesome, and there was a greater variety of enemies than in Knight. Hell nothing in Origins comes even close to the terrible train wreck of game mechanics that is the Batmobile in Knight.

The Mechanics were great. The detective mode stuff was awesome, and there was a greater variety of enemies than in Knight. Hell nothing in Origins comes even close to the terrible train wreck of game mechanics that is the Batmobile in Knight.

The shock gloves totally ruined all the great variety in combat and the tether gun was OP in the predator levels. I also didn't like the increased rate of needing to counter and also the re-skinned gadgets like the glue grenade. I did like the new detective stuff and how they expanded upon it in Knight.

While I will agree that it was overused....I think that the batmobile mechanics were amazing in Knight.

Since Suicide Squad game has been in development for a while, are they going to use Unreal Engine 3.5 (Arkham Knight) or Unreal Engine 4? It should be interesting considering how the former had a disastrous PC performance.

The Suicide Squad game will likely use the gun controls of the Arkham Origins multiplayer right? Ehhh.

Not necessarily. Red Hood in AK and Deathstroke in Origins shows that guns and other combat systems work in their engine.

Honestly, even if it played like their Origins multiplayer, I'd be happy. I loved that broken ass, abandoned multiplayer. So much fun when you have good teams.

Top Bottom