• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warning: Don't buy Binding of Isaac Rebirth on 3DS

backlot

Apparently the 3DS patch is now live. Initial reports seem positive but it hasn't really been out long enough yet to prove the crashes are gone. I haven't seen any reports on if the epilogue and lost glitches have been fixed yet either. If anyone is playing the patch now I'd love to hear your impressions.

DangerMan

Banned
Downloaded the patch and tried to open the web browser with the game running in the background but it crashed my whole system.

Tried again and this time it let me do it.

tanooki27

new patch installed. game crashed at a boss room. had no previous patches installed because I'd heard of the crashes. felt sure this patch would address those issues.

this product doesn't work.

Firehead

It's crashing more frequently since the patch for me... Has crashed multiple times on Basement II during this wakka wakka challenge.
Game starts to run incredibly slow for a few seconds just before it crashes.

Fucking fuck. :|

backlot

It's crashing more frequently since the patch for me... Has crashed multiple times on Basement II during this wakka wakka challenge.
Game starts to run incredibly slow for a few seconds just before it crashes.

Fucking fuck. :|

Are you on patch 1.05 or 1.051?

backlot

I just had the latest patch freeze on me during a boss fight. It was the only freeze in ~5 hours so it's an improvement over the last patch. Still disappointing though. Took a whole month for this patch and it still has tons of glitches.

I just read that all the issues have been fixed.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/new-3ds/binding_of_isaac_rebirth

Before concluding, it would be remiss of us not to mention the rocky road that Rebirth has been on since its release. First off, it launched with a bundle of bugs that ranged from ignorable to bad enough to require the game to be rebooted. Thankfully, just a few days later, those issues were corrected in an update – but that wasn't the end of it. With the new update came a new bug, one that would randomly cause the system to lock up entirely, forcing a restart that could result in a loss of progress depending on the mode you were playing. After waiting for nearly a month, yet another update was released to fix the freezing issue, and now everything finally appears to be smoothed out. In the five hours we've logged with the latest update, we haven't encountered a single hitch. From what we've seen, Rebirth's worst days are behind it, and now it's ready for your attention.

This sounds pretty awful - can owners request a refund from Nintendo? I mean, if it has been a month and it's still not fit for purpose, surely Nintendo or the publisher should be open to issuing no-fuss refunds?

backlot

This sounds pretty awful - can owners request a refund from Nintendo? I mean, if it has been a month and it's still not fit for purpose, surely Nintendo or the publisher should be open to issuing no-fuss refunds?

People on reddit tried calling Nintendo customer service. They do not give refunds on eShop purchases.

People on reddit tried calling Nintendo customer service. They do not give refunds on eShop purchases.

That's bullshit. Here in the UK I've just done a quick search on consumer rights over digital purchases and found this:

Consumer rights enter the digital age: millions of UK's consumers set to benefit from new EU rules

Fed up getting stuck with extra charges when you buy online? Can't make head or tail of a trader's cancellation form? Changed your mind about a purchase but been told you can't cancel? Didn't realise that your computer software wouldn't be able to cope with your downloaded music video?

These problems should all now be consigned to history, now that consumers across the UK have been given improved consumer rights thanks to EU legislation which came into force a few days ago.

The new EU Consumer Rights Directive strengthens consumers' rights wherever and whenever consumers shop in Europe – online or on the high street, in their own country or elsewhere in the EU. There are 10 main changes in the new EU rules, which will benefit millions of consumers across the UK.

Andy Allen, the UK European Consumer Centre Director, said: "The new EU Consumer Rights Directive, which has applied across Europe since 13 June 2014, strengthens consumer rights by giving consumers the same rights across the EU. It means simpler, more predictable rules for traders, who now have more incentives to expand their business across borders.

"The new rules take consumer rights into the digital age; putting consumers well and truly in the driving seat when making digital purchases. Anyone buying digital content will be able to get clearer information, including about details on which software and hardware the content works with."

[...]

9) Strengthened consumer protection in relation to digital products
Information on digital content has to be clearer, including details about its compatibility with hardware and software and the application of any technical protection measures, for example limiting the right for the consumers to make copies of the content.

Of course this is EU only and the language doesn't seem to specifically address games which are not working as they should be, but I'm pretty sure you could pressurise Nintendo for a refund based on these laws. Is there a Trading Standards or consumer watchdog authority in your country?

fernoca

In the US, noone (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...and retailers like Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy) issue refunds over digital purchases unless:
-You're leally lucky.
-You beg...a lot...
-You make a big fuss over it ...and that's still not guaranteed.

Heck, PayPal just this week finally started to allow refunds over digital purchases.

So, is not surprising that people are denied refunds.

Massa

In the US, noone (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo...and retailers like Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy) issue refunds over digital purchases unless:
-You're leally lucky.
-You beg...a lot...
-You make a big fuss over it ...and that's still not guaranteed.

Heck, PayPal just this week finally started to allow refunds over digital purchases.

So, is not surprising that people are denied refunds.

Sony and Microsoft do issue refunds, unfortunately you have to call them though.

RM8

Man, I really want to like Nicalis. They are involved with so many cool games, but they more often than not are terrible at... everything, really.

epmode

Sony and Microsoft do issue refunds, unfortunately you have to call them though.
In America, digital refunds are discretionary. I don't have any experience with MS but Sony is really tough about them. The post you quoted is correct.

fernoca

As I noted, in the US.
Of course, it always depends on the person at the other side and their willingness to bend their policies (I've had success with them, including Nintendo..once..twice).

But in general, they don't. Same way I've had some luck with one call, others have called dozens and never got their refund.

There are also more widespread issues like the situations with Halo and Driveclub on which they allow for refunds without much begging, but those are exceptions.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Well, to my knowledge, it's not being developed by Nicalis but rather by mainly just one guy, so that game taking so long doesn't really have much to do with Nicalis publishing it.

One of the reasons Nicalis-attached games take so long to release is Nicalis bloating them with producer-driven extras, so while I suspect 90s Arcade Racer is a victim of clueless devs underestimating how long it'd take to make their game, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it's taking so long due to Nicalis burdening them with bullet points and other crap.

Jarsonot

I know the Wii U version doesn't have upload/download.

Guessing the n3ds version is the same?

And someone in another thread said that it isn't 3D, though it states it is in the eshop (if that matters to you).

Edit: at this point, I'd wait it until I knew if it was getting afterbirth, too.

(Maybe, it is a fantastic game by itself)

I mean. Sure if 3DS is your only choice. But obviously if handheld is imperative the Vita version takes precedence.

Well, you could also be in a situation where you take the 3DS with you everywhere and have a lot of others games on it too, and you want it with the rest of your library available at any time, instead of on the device you never use.

Well, you could also be in a situation where you take the 3DS with you everywhere and have a lot of others games on it too, and you want it with the rest of your library available at any time, instead of on the device you never use.

That's true. I mean, if it's the one and only option suited to a person's lifestyle then it's probably still worth playing.

But if choice abounds then I wouldn't put myself through a lesser version. MGS3 on 3DS for example is a travesty.

Yea that's me, I bought Rebirth when it launched on Steam and got it free with PS+, but the 3DS really is the console that I play the most, mostly on the go. Rebirth is perfect for a portable console and I'm not buying a Vita. The glitches and crashes suck, but as long as I avoid Tickle Charge and I save before a Boss it's fine. Got about 40 hours of playtime and I still play a lot.

RedToad64

That's true. I mean, if it's the one and only option suited to a person's lifestyle then it's probably still worth playing.

But if choice abounds then I wouldn't put myself through a lesser version. MGS3 on 3DS for example is a travesty.
I have the game on PC as well. The 3DS version also moves the map and other UI elements to the bottom screen so that's a plus for me. The game looks fine; it was a good choice to go with the pixilated art style.

Basically what I am saying is that the 3DS version holds its own weight, which is very impressive.

I loved it, I think I put like 80 hours into it.

I had played the original and Subsistence a few times before but I did more playthroughs on 3DS because the rankings unlocked like achievements to show everything you'd earned before, so there was more incentive. Looks great in 3D as well.

dLMN8R

Ugh this is so disappointing. BoI was rock-solid on my 3DS with the latest patch but just yesterday the game completely up and crashed/quit on me during Boss Rush.

I successfully killed 3-4 of the bosses and then when the next boss was in the middle of dying, the game just froze and completely quit a few seconds later.

rekameohs

Banned
Just an FYI: the latest patch (v1.052 on the title screen) from this week fixes unlocking The Lost, the AAA Battery no longer crashes, the Epilogue shows, and I have not encountered any other random crashes thus far.

So, the warning might no longer apply!

atmb82

Neo Member
Now we need a last patch to enable Brightness/Gamma control. It's unplayable during the day. And they added the setting in Vita version.

A petition could do the magic?

Top Bottom