• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Should I? I don't even have a PS4, and likely won't get one for another few weeks, but I'm quite tempted by this. But it will likely drop even lower in the coming months. Is the soundtrack-CD any good or just a really small sampler?
Soundtrack is actually named as Samurai Warrior 4's OST instead of being a sampler. It has 15 tracks, which includes the opening themes from SW, SW2 and SW3 as well.

If you are gonna buy a PS4 and haven't bought SW4 on other PS systems then yeah it's a good deal the anime OVA's also 49mins.

deadfolk

How's WO3U on vita?

I have DW8XL on PS4 - is WO different enough to justify getting it while it's on sale? And how's the performance?

Cheers.

Its funny how I enjoy these games more than the critically acclaimed, best selling, "AAA", high budget titles that come out.

Bought WO3 and its already more fun to me than Inquisition. I want to buy SW4 next.

shaowebb

Its funny how I enjoy these games more than the critically acclaimed, best selling, "AAA", high budget titles that come out.

Bought WO3 and its already more fun to me than Inquisition. I want to buy SW4 next.

Same. I haven't bought it yet, but its gonna happen. Currently I'm trying to get the last of the bonds missions from the old story before progressing any further into the new story they added. I'm on the last 2 chapters or so and I'm curious if Nezha is still someone I'll unlock by beating all the bonds missions for cast or if he is now a story only character.

BTW Nemea has now been promoted around 4 times and even at level 1 is a beast. His launcher string that ends in the javelin throw and his air R1 kill officers in 1 shot.

Shengar

Using True Triple Strike in the middle of the crowd, especially when there are +4 officers around is just pure fun.
And don't tell me about using Ma Dai's Ex attack after that.

Shengar

The best way to gain EXP? Pesonally I grind on level with low intensity and low difficulty that have fucktons of enemy soldiers and officers, such as Diversion of Jieting and Battle of Anegawa. Infiltration of Anegawa is much faster while net the same amount of EXP like its main story counterpart version, but due to how it goes, it's much more intense and more prone to failure if your level is not high enough to kill bufffed-up generic officer fast. With lot of enemy around, you should pray for EXP frenzy while they are still around so you can net even more growth point and EXP.

Xenoflare

What are the odds of SW4-2 coming to the west?

and pardon me if this is already got beaten like a dead horse, but I'm under the impression that DW8E received extremely negative reviews in Japan, anyone knows what went wrong?

Shengar

and pardon me if this is already got beaten like a dead horse, but I'm under the impression that DW8E received extremely negative reviews in Japan, anyone knows what went wrong?

Do you get that impression from critics or user reviews or by the horrible sales performance? If we talk sales wise, it's going to be expected because Koei-Tecmo already sold fucktons of Musou games in 2014. I really hoped that they announce DW9 as 2016 release exclusively for current gen platform, and not releasing anymore Musou games this year.

Xenoflare

Do you get that impression from critics or user reviews or by the horrible sales performance? If we talk sales wise, it's going to be expected because Koei-Tecmo already sold fucktons of Musou games in 2014. I really hoped that they announce DW9 as 2016 release exclusively for current gen platform, and not releasing anymore Musou games this year.

I specified reviews, so obviously I'm asking for the user/critic opinions.

DW8E having horrible sales is expected since it's a second expansion of the base game and also the word on the street isn't doing any good for it either.

I just hope there are still Warriors games for the Vita, after buying DW8 on PS3 I can't believe how much I like the WO3U on the Vita despite it's various technical shortcomings. I was planning to get SW4 too but the announcement for the sequel is placing me on hold.

Pretty high. I don't think K-T will bother dubbing it so all they'll have to do is localize it. They can do the whole digital only on PS3/Vita and physical on PS4 release scheme.

And I don't think we have ever missed an expansion pack release for another musou game.

DW8E had some glitches when it first came out that was patched. Usual glitches of the loading, freezing and face ugliness. It was also delayed like twice so it was expected it wouldn't have these in the first place. :p

Xenoflare

Pretty high. I don't think K-T will bother dubbing it so all they'll have to do is localize it. They can do the whole digital only on PS3/Vita and physical on PS4 release scheme.

And I don't think we have ever missed an expansion pack release for another musou game.

DW8E had some glitches when it first came out that was patched. Usual glitches of the loading, freezing and face ugliness. It was also delayed like twice so it was expected it wouldn't have these in the first place. :p

That good to hear.

I just hope that there is a Vita version and without the need for Mixjoy.

IIRC the name is SW4-2 instead of SW4XL is because Capcom decided to sue TK for the mixjoy "feature" which Capcom filed for copyright but never used.

shaowebb

That moment when you notice you haven't unlocked stuff in a Warriors game...

sigh

Been playing Battride War, Hyrule Warriors and 8XL and totally forgot that I had not unlocked Lu Bu or Sterkenberg and had just continued on till ch 6 in Orochi 3 Ultimate. Had to go back and talk, play the Sterk stage, Beat Osaka Castle. Forget to add Diao Chan, go REBEAT Osaka castle with Diao Chan in my party to recruit Lu Bu, and once I had him had to go and rebeat Into the Fire, Orochi's End, and Battle With Orochi X to unlock Prelude to the Apocalypse and Worlds End allllllllllllll to get Nezha, Kiyomori Taira, Susano O, Orochi, and Orochi X unlocked.

God damn what a thing to forget...its one giant daisy chain of long stages and major unlocks. Too many musous man. I can't keep straight where I'm at anymore.

PepperedHam

Really close to picking up Hyrule Warriors. Only problem I think I'll have is that I have never been a huge Zelda fan (recognize most characters, faces, enemy types from over the years) and have only played a tiny bit of Ocarina so I feel like a lot of the fan servicey bits will be lost on me. Is it a good Musou on its own or does being a Zelda fan propel it? I have a ton of Musous to play already but there's something alluring to me about playing one in a setting in which Musou has never gone before.

bobohoro

Really close to picking up Hyrule Warriors. Only problem I think I'll have is that I have never been a huge Zelda fan (recognize most characters, faces, enemy types from over the years) and have only played a tiny bit of Ocarina so I feel like a lot of the fan servicey bits will be lost on me. Is it a good Musou on its own or does being a Zelda fan propel it? I have a ton of Musous to play already but there's something alluring to me about playing one in a setting in which Musou has never gone before.

I was in a somewhat similar situation. I like Zelda, but most of all the 2D entries in the series, so while not totally lost on the fan service, it wasn't primarily aimed at me. Despite that, it is definitely one of the better musou games and might very well be the most polished one. It has solid battle mechanics, tons of content, good movesets and looks decent to good. I'd say go for it.

PepperedHam

I was in a somewhat similar situation. I like Zelda, but most of all the 2D entries in the series, so while not totally lost on the fan service, it wasn't primarily aimed at me. Despite that, it is definitely one of the better musou games and might very well be the most polished one. It has solid battle mechanics, tons of content, good movesets and looks decent to good. I'd say go for it.
Finally pulled the trigger on this one and I'm glad I did.

Growing up around Zelda fans in the family and friend circle provided me with more than enough to enjoy the nods the game has thrown at me so far, but besides that the game itself is pretty damn awesome. Really happy with my purchase. This and the rest of my journey through WO3U should keep me busy until DW8 Empires.

NeonZ

So what's the deal with SW4-2? Is it like Dissidia 012 where the original game is included?

Should I even keep playing SW4?

The original game being included (the region based storylines and Chronicles mode) hasn't been confirmed as far as I've seen.

So what's the deal with SW4-2? Is it like Dissidia 012 where the original game is included?

Should I even keep playing SW4?

I think it's more like the Xtreme Legends expansions just that they can't call it that anymore, lol

I'm guessing they are dropping the whole mixjoy thing too.

Shadow780

The original game being included (the region based storylines and Chronicles mode) hasn't been confirmed as far as I've seen.

I think it's more like the Xtreme Legends expansions just that they can't call it that anymore, lol

I'm guessing they are dropping the whole mixjoy thing too.

The information I get is that 4-II is switching to character story modes again and everyone will get their story missions?

At the very least they should let us import SW4 saves.

NeonZ

The information I get is that 4-II is switching to character story modes again and everyone will get their story missions?

There are individual stories, but I get the impression that not every character is getting one, like in Samurai Warriors 3, since they were announcing details about their stories separately.

There are individual stories, but I get the impression that not every character is getting one, like in Samurai Warriors 3, since they were announcing details about their stories separately.

I think it's just newcomers and other 'needed to develop their story' characters like Mitsunari and Garcia. rolf

ZhugeEX

Banned
I posted this in another thread but thought I'd post here as well.

For those of you interested, Hyrule Warriors is one of Koei's most popular musou games in the USA and is on track to overtake Dynasty Warriors 3 and even Dynasty Warriors 4 potentially which both sold over 2m worldwide. Majority of sales for Musou games are in Japan with 3 and 4 selling in more than 1m units each. In Japan, sales of HW have been low with just ~130k sold and sales in the west have been high with more than 400k sold through in the USA in less than 5 months since launch.

Musou games usually have long legs outside Japan and so if HW follows the trend we could see a real high selling game here.

sdsaf_zpsb0d33cc4.jpg

It took 4 months for Hyrule Warriors to get to 370k + DD
It took 25 months for Dynasty Warriors 3 to exceed 390k+ (on PS2)
It took 13 months for Dynasty Warriors 4 to exceed 390k+ (on PS2)

Data is via NPD & Nintendo.

Koei's best selling Musou games worldwide (excluding Gundam/One Piece as published by Namco)

1. Dynasty Warriors 4 (2.2m)
2. Dynasty Warriors 3 (2.0m)
3. Dynasty Warriors 5 (1.5m)
4. Samurai Warriors (1.5m)
5. Warriors Orochi (1.5m)

Do we have confirmation on if the English release of Empires will have the F2P version that the Japanese release did? If so, will we see that on PC as well?

Also, do we know for sure if 4-II is going to have the story and chronicle modes from 4 or if it is just the 13 character centric stories + Infinite Castle + Free Mode? The game feels too light on content to be a full priced game if it doesn't.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sengoku Musou 4-II came out yesterday! Anyone played it yet? There's not much chatter on it out there.

My copies came in this morning.

16485149776_6fe5227fe8_b.jpg

PepperedHam

Dang I really like that box art. Hoping it comes state side later this year. Would like to hear what you think about it after awhile.

Lyte Edge

Beware: I read that there is very little that actually carries over from 4 to 4-II

Nothing carries over from 4 to 4-II apart from edit characters. That's it. You get 10,000 gold and 20 scrolls IIRC for having SM4 save data. I played SM4 on my U.S. account but am playing this game on my Japanese account. I popped in SM4 and saved the data without doing anything, and SM4-II gave me the save data bonus, so you don't have to have done anything in SM4 to get it.

Did not get much of a chance to play this last night-- we've been house hunting and had to rush out to see a place right when I wanted to settle in and start playing this, lol. It's funny...I got Sengoku Musou 4 right when we were moving into our current place...and now I'm getting 4-II as we're moving out.

Anyway, had enough time to mess around in the Infinite Castle and played through a stage in Naotora Ii's route. (I know this is a normal thing in Koei musou games and we've seen this before in Dynasty Warriors, but it's just weird how Naomasa is running around with his adopted mother Naotora, who looks younger than him.) At first glance, the game seems largely the same. You pick a route and then can choose two characters from a group on each level. The big difference that is apparently right away is the level progression system. Each character now has a HUGE stat board that can be leveled up. It's nothing like SM4 and it makes sense why data doesn't carry over because of this. It's been said that enemy AI was improved, but on normal, I didn't see a difference. Will try a harder setting next time. Infinite Castle is pretty fun. The main castle seems to a survival mode of sorts with multiple floors and a time limit counting down.

Visually the game looks unsurprisingly the same as SM4. Maybe it has just been a while, but it seemed like the Vita version looked a bit better. The framerate actually seemed a little worse on both the PS4 and Vita versions, but was good overall.

I still need to play a lot more to get a real feel for this, or rather to determine exactly how much -or how little- it really differs from its predecessor.

The big difference that is apparently right away is the level progression system. Each character now has a HUGE stat board that can be leveled up. It's nothing like SM4 and it makes sense why data doesn't carry over because of this.

Hmm, I know it'll take you a while longer to feel it out, but I wonder if you still need to do things like equip a weapon with Stimulus to fully max out a character.

Also, is proficiency still in? I hated grinding for it in WO, and I still hate grinding for it in SW4.

Sora_N

What is this Dynasty Warriors Online Z thing on PS4?

Took me a bit but I managed to make an account, been a while since I made JP random game accounts lol.

Checking it out now...

ZhugeEX

Banned
What is this Dynasty Warriors Online Z thing on PS4?

Took me a bit but I managed to make an account, been a while since I made JP random game accounts lol.

Checking it out now...

It's the sequel to Dynasty Warriors Online.

It used to be released in the west previously but was cancelled. Online Z is the Japan only sequel.

It's a bit of a meh game but I can see the appeal.

Just picked up SW4 on PS3. Really looking forward to this one, as this will be my first SW musou. I had a great time with DW8/XL so I think this will be even better.

shaowebb

Finally decided to go in and try the Dynasty Gundam Series by picking up Reborn who folks only seemed to complain didn't have licensed tracks or new cutscenes in it.

Points of interest so far:

• SInce you are often in space there are no keeps. To replace them they have "fields" which are outlined on the battlefield in a red fence. They appear around certain officers and taking out these officers captures that field. Similar to keeps in Hyrule Warriors and other Musou titles this effects morale and overall performance of both armies.
  • This game has a dash button with X and also a jump button with R1. Both use up a meter that recharges. By mashing weak square for weak attacks during dashes you get entirely new strings of attacks and you can cancel out of combos with them.
  • Similar to how Manhandla would sent attacks all over the battlefield with manhandla stalks this game peppers the battlefield with explosions from battleships. To stop this you target the ship above you and hold R1(jump button) to fly up alongside the ship. Then you use your charge shot whichi is done using triangle to it. Charge shot replaces heavy attacks in this series and is your string ender as well as ranged attack. Attack the battleship in this manner sends out troops below it and by taking out those and its officers you take out the ship's health.
  • Instead of strong attack you have charge shot as a string ender. If done by its lonesome its a projectile and by holding it and charging it up you can do a very powerful aimable beam. If your beam kills someone it will cause a chain reaction of other robots being blown up that were near it. You can essentially weaken a battlefield, dash out, charge up a shot and fire into it and watch the whole thing domino in explosions until its destroyed.
  • Similar to Hyrule Warriors Focus Spirt you can hit R2 to enter a special state that is faster and stronger. Depending on who you are playing as this has different effects from healing to other stuff. If you hit musou attack in this state your "partner" will join in. In other words you select another pilot before the match, use R2 then hit musou and you will do your big attack then tag out and that pilot will appear in their gundam to then do their own. So instead of doing one musou attack you get two.
  • This game has lock on targeting but the camera isn't so good so unlike in Hyrule Warriors you still have to adjust the camera most times after you lock onto an officer even though you shouldn't have to.
  • You can fuse plans like you can weapons in other musou games. Collecting plans is like collecting weapons for Gundams. Fuse them up to get a ton of stat bonuses to your gundam.
  • Pilots have special skills you can unlock and then purchase and upgrade. These let you do stuff like gain xp faster or block normally unblockable stuff.
  • Similar to Hyrule Warriors you collect materials and use them to unlock stuff. Unlike Hyrule Warriors you can fuse bunches of common materials to gain rare ones you are having difficulty finding. You can use materials to upgrade weapons on your gundam. Doing so up to 3 times nets you major changes like wider beams, longer swords, and changes to combo stuff.

As for modes I see a ton of story modes where I play through each Gundam series story and unlock its Gundams. Also Ultimate mode seems like it follows the branching stage path stuff from Dynasty Warriors 8 and Orochi 3 but if you choose some branches others disappear. Additionally it sort of seems like Free Mode since you can choose anyone, but it kind of has its own plot of its own.

No other modes besides the two sadly. Game plays really fun, but not as fast as any of the others I've played so far in the Musou series. Stages are also shorter as well. Not the best but definitely interesting and fun. Gonna keep playing and see how it grows.

Arkanius

I finally started playing Dynasty Warriors (8 on PC) and I'm very confused on what I should do in the battlefield

I'm doing story mode, and basically I go from objective to objective, ignoring my teammates, people keep telling me that the game is very tactical so I think I'm missing something.

I usually kill the Unit Commander and Enemy Officers in each objective, and then pick my horse and run to the next. It feels very simple. Is there something else I should do to keep my forces alive?

How can I order the NPCs to go help units under attack?

NeonZ

I finally started playing Dynasty Warriors (8 on PC) and I'm very confused on what I should do in the battlefield

I'm doing story mode, and basically I go from objective to objective, ignoring my teammates, people keep telling me that the game is very tactical so I think I'm missing something.

DW7 and 8 are very linear. They minimized the effects of controlling keeps, so, yeah, you don't need to take care of your team most of the time. Just follow the objectives. There are also some optional objectives that can change events and eventually unlock a 2nd ending for each story.

You're also likely playing on normal, which has very weak enemy officers (Hard in DW8 does seem to assume that you have some weapons already though, so I wouldn't recommend starting there before you get some better weapons), so you get enemies that don't really threaten your troops most of the time (so you don't need to go back to rescue them unless it's part of the story progression).

How can I order the NPCs to go help units under attack?

You can only give orders to NPC units in the Empire games (or the recent Samurai Warriors titles, but there it's only for the 2/4 party members you choose at the start of the level).

Generally, when people mention tactics in Warriors titles, it's more about prioritizing different objectives and/or map control (with the bases that spawn more troops for either your army or the enemies), like choosing between advancing to a goal or retreating to help your army take care of some enemy officers that are advancing towards your main base.

There are also the keeps/bases around the map that produce troops for either army, conquering them also usually gives a moral bonus that makes the army in general fight better. However, bases are almost irrelevant in DW7 and 8 outside of the Empires titles. They don't seem to produce troops anymore and the moral is much more heavily weighted by the story events than keeps you conquer. Some recent titles that keep bases important, aside from Empires (which doesn't have a story mode at all), are the DW Gundam ones and Hyrule Warriors.

Lyte Edge

I'm about to put some time into One Piece Musou 3. Picked it up yesterday along with Bloodborne.

Nice; impressions please! I ordered it and might get my copy tomorrow but will probably be perving out with Senran Kagura Estival Versus instead.

mujun

Nice; impressions please! I ordered it and might get my copy tomorrow but will probably be perving out with Senran Kagura Estival Versus instead.

I'm really enjoying it so far.

The story mode is going through the story from the start of the manga (did the 2nd game do this, too. I played it all the way through but can't remember) and at first I was watching it but I've started skipping it as there is a lot of it and I find much of it overly long.

The graphics are serviceable (I'm sure nobody is surprised) but I do like the colorful and clean look the game has over say the Orochi games' look.

I get the feeling that not much has changed since the previous game but to be honest I can't remember much about the previous game.

The "can't use the share function" message pop ups are a little irritating. They turn up at the start and end of every cutscene.

Feels a little easier than your average Musou game. Not a minus in my book by any means. I usually set the games to easy as I don't like to replay levels. I've been playing on normal and having no trouble.

Top Bottom