• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

steveovig

Is there a huge difference between Warriors Orochi 3 for the Wii U and the PS4, besides visuals? A local GS has the Wii version for $10 and I was thinking of picking it up.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is there a huge difference between Warriors Orochi 3 for the Wii U and the PS4, besides visuals? A local GS has the Wii version for $10 and I was thinking of picking it up.

I seem to recall hearing that the Wii U has some performance issues. I'm not sure it got the DLC, as well.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Yes. Besides the better visuals and framerate, you're getting WO3 Ultimate on PS4, which is an upgrade from WO3 Hyper on Wii U. There's more characters and content in the PS4 version. No point in getting it on Wii U.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Yes. Besides the better visuals and framerate, you're getting WO3 Ultimate on PS4, which is an upgrade from WO3 Hyper on Wii U. There's more characters and content in the PS4 version. No point in getting it on Wii U.

Oh, shit, I didn't catch that he was talking about the PS4 version. Oops.

Yeah, definitely get the PS4 version. Ultimate is SO much better than vanilla WO3/Hyper.

I've started playing Warriors Orochi 3 on the PS4 (am now totally addicted to it...) and I was wondering regarding difficulty - the game is far to easy on normal in the beginning, so I'm playing mainly on hard mode. However on Hard mode I'm having a few issues. Mainly down to the AI allies being dumb as bricks. I'm losing missions because they end up dead insanely quick. Any tips on the best way on handling hard mode? As I'd prefer to mix things up with my characters, but with each starting at level 1 when unlocked I'm wondering if it'd be better on focusing solely on a couple of characters?
Then again, I'd have written of Kaguya as a character early on but after leveling her up I find she can be rather beastly!

It took almost 4 months but now I'm officially addicted to Samurai Warriors 4 Empires.

I have no idea why I prefer it to DW8E even though the latter is way more detailed in its kingdom management, and has way a better tactics/strategems feature.

It's probably the gameplay. I never thought I'd ever love the hyper dash attacks this much considering the developers put so little effort into them (even the Hyper-dash oriented characters have repeated charge attacks. Ugh) but I can't imagine playing without em now.

Honestly if KT gave Omega Force a longer development period so they'd combine the strategy features of Empires and the narrative elements of the main games into one package it would be perfect.

I mean I guess they already tried this in SW3E but since it never came over here I don't have an opinion on it. Lol.

shaowebb

My dream OF game is an Orochi Empires.

Mine is Orochi Warriors 4 with Gauntlet mode returning, as well as a MOBA mode and solid 2 player online coop for it in all modes.

Oh and with Hyrule Warriors original characters like Lana, Cia and Volga in it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Playing a ton of Gundam Breakers 3 and it got me thinking

GoNagai-800x476.png

where is it Omega Force? Where is it?

KyleCross

So, I've played a couple of the licensed Musou games (One Piece mostly) but I ended up buying one of the originals on a whim even tho I knew nothing about it (my phone didn't have internet in the store) solely because I had a Buy 2 Get One coupon and couldn't find another title to get.

It's Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on the PS4. I am completely blind and I feel like I might've made a huge mistake... what do I need to know?

hamchan

So, I've played a couple of the licensed Musou games (One Piece mostly) but I ended up buying one of the originals on a whim even tho I knew nothing about it (my phone didn't have internet in the store) solely because I had a Buy 2 Get One coupon and couldn't find another title to get.

It's Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on the PS4. I am completely blind and I feel like I might've made a huge mistake... what do I need to know?

People consider WO3U one of the best Musou games because of the massive amount of content it has and some pretty good gameplay.

I guess all you need to know about it it's a crossover game with the characters from Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, with its own original story.

So yeah, you didn't make a mistake.

NeonZ

People consider WO3U one of the best Musou games because of the massive amount of content it has and some pretty good gameplay.

I guess all you need to know about it it's a crossover game with the characters from Dynasty and Samurai Warriors, with its own original story.

So yeah, you didn't make a mistake.

It has a lot of content, and the gameplay, although lacking some modern features of newer games, like the more recent and generally even flashier movesets for some DW characters and Hyper attacks and active character change for the SW ones, has some extra stuff of its own, like tag combos.

However, in addition to being a DW and SW crossover, the main storyline is a sequel to the previous Warriors Orochi games, which might make the beginning of the story feel rather random. You can get used to it though.

steveovig

Having just recently gotten Orochi 3, I do agree that it has a ton of content. However, I find myself enjoying SW4 a lot more. It's a little faster with the Hyper Attacks, and I seem to be gravitating back to SW4. I'm at Chapter 6 in Orochi and I can't make a dent in Gauntlet Mode. Also, SW4 seems way easier, even on the harder difficulties.

derFeef

Heyho Musou Gaf.
I learned to love Musou games thanks to Hyrule Warriors Legends and I may be helplessly addicted to them now.

I bought Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 for the Vita and One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 for PC (fuck that port). I enjoy every one of them and constantly switch between them, but Hyrule Warriors may be my favourite as of now. I am now at the point where I can't finish any other games in my backlog - it's that addicting. The problem is, I want more - I also never played a Dynasty Warrior game and can't really make out the difference between the Empire games and the other ones? Are those the "Chronicles" of this series? I may need to consume the wiki's now.

Also close to buying Samurai Warriors 4-2 on Steam but I have to restrain myself!
But then I also have a Warriors Orichi game on Xbox One thanks to GWG.
AND I want to try them in coop one time.

Reknoc

Empires are basically musou games with a sort of lite-strategy element. They're probably my favourite parts of an entry.

derFeef

Not a very active thread :D

My two favourite Musou games currently are Hyrule Warriors Legends and One Pice: Pirate Warriors 3 - I play them both on a handheld. I somehow think this is the perfect platform - at least for now ;)

I also have Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 on the Vita and while I enjoy the gameplay (that lock on is terrible, touch??) I tend to skip every dialogue and cutscene, which is I guess okay for the nature of this series (the make your character series). I also tried Dynasty Warriors Next demo, which I am going to wait for a sale because it seems neat.

Could have sworn we were getting a DW9 announcement this year, or at least that was the popular rumor for a while. I guess it's not ready to show. Or they areall in for Ni-Oh until it drops.

Craving a return to ancient China, hopefully with some nice changes.

Lyte Edge

Could have sworn we were getting a DW9 announcement this year, or at least that was the popular rumor for a while. I guess it's not ready to show. Or they areall in for Ni-Oh until it drops.

Sengoku Musou Sanada Maru just recently-released and their next game is Musou Stars.

Haven't seen anyone really talk about the former. I held off on importing it. I did get Capcom's take on the game, Sengoku Basara Sanada Yukimura-Den, over the summer, and also saw little to no discussion on it.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Fate/Extella and really enjoying it. It's like a musou game on speed. Love the fast pace of the game. Worth checking out when it comes out over here next month.

Reknoc

Hah, yea I was talking to someone about the same thing. Think it's to do with their new year message but thinking on it, they could just have mean Stars.

derFeef

Despite setting, where are the major differences between Samurai, Dynasty and Orochi? I have not found my footing yet as I enjoy the "licensed" Musou games more as I wrote above. I guess partly because they simplify things compared to the "main" Musou games?

B-Dex

Despite setting, where are the major differences between Samurai, Dynasty and Orochi? I have not found my footing yet as I enjoy the "licensed" Musou games more as I wrote above. I guess partly because they simplify things compared to the "main" Musou games?

I would say you would enjoy samurai warriors 4 and 4-II. And Dynasty Warriors 8. They streamlined combat a lot. Especially samurai warriors 4/4-II

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Despite setting, where are the major differences between Samurai, Dynasty and Orichi? I have not found my footing yet as I enjoy the "licensed" Musou games more as I wrote above. I guess partly because they simplify things compared to the "main" Musou games?

I haven't played the Samurai Warriors series, so I can't compare that to DW, but Warriors Orochi has you choosing three characters per battle, which you can switch between freely, even allowing you to perform character switching combos.

Each character is also assigned a "type", one of four (Power, Speed, Technique, and Wonder, which was introduced in Orochi 3), which dictates a few special attributes.

• Power characters don't get staggered by normal (non-charge) attacks. Very basic but useful attribute.
  • Speed characters can jump in mid combo (allows you to cancel out of moves that take a while to perform or recover from) and do a second little flip in the air for dodging purposes.
  • Technique characters can... uh... sidestep. It used to be that they could perform their charge attack strings really rapidly at the cost of some musou meter, but they changed it in Orochi 3, which makes them kinda suck. There's something about getting critical hits too, but I don't really know how it works.
  • Wonder characters who are kinda like Speed 2.0: they can cancel out of most attacks by pressing the jump button, but instead of jumping they charge forward, stunning anyone in their path. It costs a bit of musou meter, but it's great for extending combos, breaking defenses, and cancelling out of long attacks.

There's a lot of other little stuff too. I'm primarily a DW guy, so I don't know how much of this has carried over into the sub-series. Stuff like weapon stat customization, where you find or buy weapons with various attributes, and then you can burn them to transfer the attributes you want to whatever weapon you want. Lets you make some really super-powered builds.

Maybe you know this, but the main draw of Orochi is that it features every character from Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors (at least of their respective latest titles at the time [DW7 and SW3]) alongside some original characters made just for the Orochi series (usually based on mythological Japanese or Chinese figures), and--since Orochi 3--guest characters from other Koei Tecmo titles (Ninja Gaiden, DoA, the ill fated Warriors: Legends of Troy, etc.) and a few from sources even beyond (Sophitia from SoulCalibur, Sterkenburg from the Atelier series). The last Orochi game had 145 characters as a result, with only a tiny fraction that weren't as fleshed-out as the rest.

derFeef

Thanks for the detailed writeup! I did not know that about Orochi! I got 3 Ultimate free with XBL gold and tried it for a little bit after I enjoyed Hyrule so much. It seemed a bit stiffer but also faster. I guess I should look into it a bit more since I enjoy mythological creatures/persons and guest characters in games! I just watched a video where a character transforms into a large beast I am fuilly into that, heh.

I have no history with the Dynasty or Samurai games so every reference will just go past me, which is not a problem with One Piece and Hyrule.
What would Hyrule Warriors compare to the best? Would be interesting since I played that the most.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Thanks for the detailed writeup! I did not know that about Orochi! I got 3 Ultimate free with XBL gold and tried it for a little bit after I enjoyed Hyrule so much. It seemed a bit stiffer but also faster. I guess I should look into it a bit more since I enjoy mythological creatures/persons and guest characters in games! I just watched a video where a character transforms into a large beast I am fuilly into that, heh.

I have no history with the Dynasty or Samurai games so every reference will just go past me, which is not a problem with One Piece and Hyrule.
What would Hyrule Warriors compare to the best? Would be interesting since I played that the most.

Yeah, WO3 Ultimate is pretty much based on a 5 year old game (Dynasty Warriors 7), so it's bound to be stiff compared to modern titles.

I don't have a lot of experience with Hyrule Warriors, so I'll have to defer that comparison to someone else.

derFeef

So how do you proceed when you get stuck on a mission? I think I tried a single one for 4 times now (Hyrule). Lowering the difficulty seems like the first thought, but I think the issues lies somwhere else, like timing or not understanding what the game asks from me (that happens a lot I have to say).

^ Yeah, gonna day one it lol.

Downloaded Pirate Warriors 3 yesterday cause Bloodborne and Resident Evil 7 are just too oppressing, I need something jolly lol. Any tips for this one? I've had it for over a year but never downloaded it til now since I was backlogged/wanted to beat DQ Warriors first. (never did, DQW is just too freaking long imo)

derFeef

^ Yeah, gonna day one it lol.

Downloaded Pirate Warriors 3 yesterday cause Bloodborne and Resident Evil 7 are just too oppressing, I need something jolly lol. Any tips for this one? I've had it for over a year but never downloaded it til now since I was backlogged/wanted to beat DQ Warriors first. (never did, DQW is just too freaking long imo)

Not tips but I think this is the most fun so far I had with Musou games, besides Hyrule Warriors. It's just joy. I have it on Vita and since I now own a PS4 I am waiting on a sale for the PS4 version (lolol), would be great with a higer framerate, hah.

Blah Musou Stars got delayed. Went from March 2nd, then said 3rd, now says 30th on its character trailers.

Speaking of I officially don't know who half of these guys are haha.

Anyone have/want to post impressions of Berserk, not a fan of it but am curious if its a fun musou game either way.

Mawile

Banned
Wish we would get Gundam Musou games on PC, especially 3. Haven't played that latest one that came after 3, but def that too.

Random tip but if you get outfit DLC for certain chars, it instantly unlocks that character without you having to actually earn it. It helped me play as Perona sooner. Also, make sure you like test every single command you have, there's some aspects per certain characters you might not realize till later. So press all the buttons and find out what they do! (including the shoulder buttons)

Other than that, enjoy because Pirate Warriors 3 is really damn good.

Lyte Edge

Anyone have/want to post impressions of Berserk, not a fan of it but am curious if its a fun musou game either way.

I don't really have much to say about it. Found the game extremely mediocre and dropped it pretty quickly. That said, I'm not much of a Berserk fan, so I think that fans of the series would probably like it more. It just comes off as a run-of-the-mill musou game with a very small character selection and nothing that really stands out compared to the other titles. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 this is not.

derFeef

I don't really have much to say about it. Found the game extremely mediocre and dropped it pretty quickly. That said, I'm not much of a Berserk fan, so I think that fans of the series would probably like it more. It just comes off as a run-of-the-mill musou game with a very small character selection and nothing that really stands out compared to the other titles. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 this is not.

That's a shame. I would love a good, gory Musou. I know there is Dead Rising 3 & 4, but that only scratches a part of the itch.

Started playing One Piece Warriors 3.

Hmmm I don't know much about this franchise other than the main characters names and looks but I like what I played so far. I'm going to blast through a few more story levels then try and unlock skills with the other characters in free mode tonight.

Enjoying the plot points and always loved the over exaggerated faces One Piece is known for. Only thing I have not gotten used to is the attacks. They are all very odd feeling but not in a bad way persay. Not quite as fluid as Dynasty, Gundam, or Orochi but a weird middle area of them.

Started Musou Stars the day it came out but had to go to Osaka the next day so only 4 hours in.

I like the feel of this one its more Orochi than anything.
Frame rate is definitely not stable but its not unplayable either.
A lot of flat textures as par the course in this franchise.
Graphics are nothing to write home about but the characters being modeled in this way for the first time look good overall.
Stage variety so far is limited but they are big enough.
Furries as the main race of this new world is creepy, they never get a bit unnerving for me.
No weapon customization or multiple designs sadly, its all done by character cards to add effects.
Character unlocks are done through the story
Does not seem to be a free mode, maybe there is a new game plus, but there are also a lot of missions.
4 hours in I've unlocked about 4 characters between the missions while also obtaining 4 as "starters"
The "frenzy" mode is interesting but certain characters are better in it than others, mostly a speed of attacks vs. how sweeping they are.
Story is pretty eh, but not like we were expecting anything.
There are some randomly bad graphics too, like in the background, a little water formation into a circle looks TERRIBLE.

I think its ok so far, and I enjoy the variety of characters. Wish there were less furries and more combination monsters so far. Need to play more though.

Streamed my first two sessions. Hope to play more soon but between Nier and Persona 4 @.@ who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvSjodw1jcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYqCJ5VZwy8

Top Bottom