• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

Sora2k7

To be fair the ps4 has other improvement such as no slowdown/framerate drops and no enemy pop in. I hated that in 7, using a musou and killing a hundred guys and suddenly a hundred more just appear in front of you.

I hope the offline Coop will finally have a decent draw distance

To be fair the ps4 has other improvement such as no slowdown/framerate drops and no enemy pop in. I hated that in 7, using a musou and killing a hundred guys and suddenly a hundred more just appear in front of you.
Oh for sure. I'm just directly commenting on what was shown in the video. I certainly want to play the PS4 version, so I'm a bit disappointed that I find the lighting in the ps3 version to look better.

Tabby

Can't wait to play Wang Yi on my Vita.
My waifu<3
PS4 version looks great but I won't be getting DW8 3 times.

NeonZ

Yep, as I said Jin is (more or less) a later era Wei right now. Until they really expand on Sima Yan, the first emperor of Jin and founder of the Jin dynasty and Du Yu's and Jia Chong's invasion of Wu thereby uniting China (albeit for a fairly short period of time until the War of the Eight Princes) the Jin kingdom as we know it in the DW series isn't really technically Jin.

/rant lol

Well, the "Wei" faction in DW is mostly later Han anyway. They barely cover Cao Pi's reign, and basically completely ignore Cao Rui (in spite of the Battle of Wuzhang Plains happened in his rule). Most of the focus is on Cao Cao, who died the last Han emperor was dethroned by Cao Pi.

Yawnier

Banned
Well, the "Wei" faction in DW is mostly later Han anyway. They barely cover Cao Pi's reign, and basically completely ignore Cao Rui (in spite of the Battle of Wuzhang Plains happened in his rule). Most of the focus is on Cao Cao, who died the last Han emperor was dethroned by Cao Pi.

Yeah, good point. Many of Cao Cao's most prominent officers (Li Dian, Yue Jin, Xiahou Yuan etc.) didn't live to see the official founding of Cao Wei under Cao Pi.

I haven't played the story mode of 8 yet, but I liked how in 7 Wei's story was basically the origin story of Wei's creation. As was Jin's story. Good way to make use of the roster they have.

mintylurb

Well at least according to the folks who got the ps4 hk chinese version, it apparently still has some noticeable slowdown..

Well at least according to the folks who got the ps4 hk chinese version, it apparently still has some noticeable slowdown..

I assume the moment anything gets light on fire?

-------------------------------------------------------

Koei-Tecmo uploaded the first character videos for Sengoku Musou 4 so woo.

Yukimura Sanada

Nobunaga Oda

Hisahide Matsunaga

Nobuyuki Sanada

Some things of notice:
Returning Movesets though no idea to what extent.
A lot of dashing around like One Piece Musou 2 though not so sure of how that'll work.
It does look pretty flashy and I do like that effect in the Musou attack.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I have not played a Sengoku Musou yet. Bought the first one, but never played it for some reason. My only experience with the characters is the Orochi games :x

Also, this needs to be a DLC costume

60rB4rB.jpg

sohois

It really is amazing how poor on the technical side the games are, fair enough the they don't use the 'full power of the PS4' for a port but even for a PS3 title it's pretty damn terrible.

And there are plenty of other games in the musou style which manage to do far better

Shengar

I assume the moment anything gets light on fire?

-------------------------------------------------------

Koei-Tecmo uploaded the first character videos for Sengoku Musou 4 so woo.

Yukimura Sanada

Nobunaga Oda

Hisahide Matsunaga

Nobuyuki Sanada

Some things of notice:
Returning Movesets though no idea to what extent.
A lot of dashing around like One Piece Musou 2 though not so sure of how that'll work.
It does look pretty flashy and I do like that effect in the Musou attack.

Wait, they change the musou mechanic to DW-style musou, aren't they?

Wait, they change the musou mechanic to DW-style musou, aren't they?

It looks similar to what they did for Sengoku Musou 3 and the type of musou the Sengoku Musou characters got in Warrior Orochi 3, which is a running/charging/repeating move if you hold down the musou button and if it's a True Musou attack, one big final attack at the end.

Shengar

It looks similar to what they did for Sengoku Musou 3 and the type of musou the Sengoku Musou characters got in Warrior Orochi 3, which is a running/charging/repeating move if you hold down the musou button and if it's a True Musou attack, one big final attack at the end.

Nobunaga's musou looks different from what I remembered, so that's where my previous come from. Well as long as they keep it different from DW, I'll be just fine with it.

Nobunaga's musou looks different from what I remembered, so that's where my previous come from. Well as long as they keep it different from DW, I'll be just fine with it.

Well DW has both kinds of musou. The one off attack and the either hold the button to do a repeating attack or stay in the musou mode until the bar runs out.

I don't think these are the same DW one off musou attacks since the visual cut-ins and special effects happen near the end instead of the beginning.

TreIII

Wasn't that the answer he gave for Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate's localization as well, lol.

They definitely stand to have a full plate as far as localization efforts go. We don't even have firm dates for the likes of 8XL and WO3U just yet, so it's anybody's guess when we'll get say, Shin Gundam and Sengoku 4.

About the only saving grace for Zelda Musou is that Nintendo will likely localize that one themselves as part of the publishing arrangement.

They definitely stand to have a full plate as far as localization efforts go. We don't even have firm dates for the likes of 8XL and WO3U just yet, so it's anybody's guess when we'll get say, Shin Gundam and Sengoku 4.

About the only saving grace for Zelda Musou is that Nintendo will likely localize that one themselves as part of the publishing arrangement.

I think Shin Gundam is something Namco will handle localization-wise since they published all the other Gundam ones earlier.

Koei does have a bunch of Gust games they should localize like Shin Atelier Rorona, the upcoming Ayesha+, their Vita RPG, the totally not a sequel to Ar Tonelico, etc, etc.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm considering giving Ken's Rage 2 another go. I got it from Gamefly (360 version) back when it came out and was just not in the mood, so I sent it right back after only a few hours. It's odd, as I loved the first one and am betting I will the second one as well when given more of a fair shake. Musou games in general are kind of like pizza for me. I am not always in the mood for it, but I never get tired of it, either.

I'm considering giving Ken's Rage 2 another go. I got it from Gamefly (360 version) back when it came out and was just not in the mood, so I sent it right back after only a few hours. It's odd, as I loved the first one and am betting I will the second one as well when given more of a fair shake. Musou games in general are kind of like pizza for me. I am not always in the mood for it, but I never get tired of it, either.
Hokuto 2 is a pretty diversive game. A lot of people, like myself, who loved the first game dislike the second. Whereas many who hated the first, love the second.

Personally, I loved the combat depth the first game had, especially with the R1 (I forget the exact button) abilities and jumping being useful for combo canceling. 2 speed up attack speed a bunch, increased the number of characters and had the story go through the whole series. However, it watered down the movesets and the cutscenes in 1 were much better. There are far less musou attacks avaliable, there is no longer a jump button and there is no way to cancel outside of dashing.

The mission structure in 2 is almost entirely: "Enter arena" -> "Kill all enemies as quickly as possible" -> "Walk down corridor" -> "Watch motoon comic" -> "Rinse, wash, repeat".

To top it all off, the OST doesn't even have Ai wo Torimodose. o_O. The combat can still be enjoyable, but it's a huge letdown after how much I enjoyed 1, and how great One Piece 2 was (it's pretty obvious the OP team did Hokuto 2).

Hokuto 2 is a pretty diversive game. A lot of people, like myself, who loved the first game dislike the second. Whereas many who hated the first, love the second.

Personally, I loved the combat depth the first game had, especially with the R1 (I forget the exact button) abilities and jumping being useful for combo canceling. 2 speed up attack speed a bunch, increased the number of characters and had the story go through the whole series. However, it watered down the movesets and the cutscenes in 1 were much better. There are far less musou attacks avaliable, there is no longer a jump button and there is no way to cancel outside of dashing.

The mission structure in 2 is almost entirely: "Enter arena" -> "Kill all enemies as quickly as possible" -> "Walk down corridor" -> "Watch motoon comic" -> "Rinse, wash, repeat".

To top it all off, the OST doesn't even have Ai wo Torimodose. o_O. The combat can still be enjoyable, but it's a huge letdown after how much I enjoyed 1, and how great One Piece 2 was (it's pretty obvious the OP team did Hokuto 2).

No Ai wo Torimodose?! That's sacrilege! I just picked this game up used the other day and was going to get started on it once I finished Black Flag. Is the online community for it (on 360) completely dead? There are two online achievements I would like to get for it, but if no one else is playing it, fat chance of that ever happening. I 1000'd Ken's Rage 1 and really liked it at the time, especially the Dream Mode.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can anyone give me an honest answer on how Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper on the Wii U fares now?

I saw in the original thread where it first came out about horrible slow-down, lag, and pop-up, but then I saw posts on GameFaqs claiming that patches fixed that up quite a bit, but everyone in those threads seemed to argue about what really had been fixed.

I'd really like to get the Wii U Version if it's decent now so I have more gamesfor it.

Shouta

Sengoku Musou 4? YESS! I want now.

Started DW8 and it's pretty awesome. I just wish the movesets were longer like the old games. The shorter ones are kinda eh. But I guess I have Samurai Warriors 4 for that.

Sengoku Musou 4? YESS! I want now.

Started DW8 and it's pretty awesome. I just wish the movesets were longer like the old games. The shorter ones are kinda eh. But I guess I have Samurai Warriors 4 for that.

It's been ages since I had anyone at low levels but I do believe you gain up to 6 charge attacks as you level up and you gain up to three musous.

If you mean, charge moves that extend, like C3-3-3, then that's something Samurai Warriors has.

Hmmm. I have some decent progress into DW8 PAL version, but I don't think I will want to wait for the PAL version of PS4 8XL, since I need a hefty PS4 game soon. I don't suppose my progress will carry into a NTSC version of 8XL?

Esura

Banned
Dunno why I even bought DW7 and DW8 at the same time. I'm liking DW8 though. Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun are the realest, most manliest warriors ever. Love em.

Astarte

Dunno why I even bought DW7 and DW8 at the same time. I'm liking DW8 though. Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun are the realest warriors ever. Love em.

7 to wipe away the taste of 6, 8 to appreciate how it improved over 7.
Guan Yu too strong

Esura

Banned
7 to wipe away the taste of 6, 8 to appreciate how it improved over 7.
Guan Yu too strong

I never got to play 6 but I heard iffy things about it. I got 7 again because I did Wei side on it and I ended up trading it in for a preorder cause I was broke and wanted to finish it but I want to play DW8 too. Trying to rush through story so I can focus on Guan Yu and Diao Chan. Story mode is pretty weak in 8 compared to 7 though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Got Warriors Orochi Z and Samurai Warriors 3DS with my Christmas money,

Orochi Z
The game looks pretty ugly (it seems they fixed the slowdown though, I haven't experienced any), and seems sort of bare-bones, I imagine the mainline games are more detailed and have a more solid structure?, but goddamn is it addictive! So many characters, so many unique voiced lines, so much bonding, I'm obsessed! Honestly I'm a bit flustered though because I really don't know where to begin when it comes to who to use and such, so I'm sort of just experimenting. Ginchiyo Tachibana (who I chose because I thought of the dude in my Avatar) is my favorite so far.

The only thing I dislike is how they handle Game Overs, it's so easy to just get caught in an opponent's Musou and die, and that's it...you're sent to the Main Menu. I wish they atleast let you keep the EXP or something, because otherwise it's basically 20+ minutes sometimes wasted.

Samurai Warriors 3DS
This game actually looks better than Z, in my opinion. Haven't played it much, but seems a bit slower and more difficult than Z. Opponents are way more stubborn, and there's not that many so you can't blow through crowds and quickly level up, and the Missions are pretty strict and you really need to keep an eye on your allies. I don't like being forced to basically use an OC though, but I assume as you progress you have more chances to use everyone else.

Really hasn't taken me in like Z, I'll probably play it more though after I get done with Z (if I ever do).

Probably gonna pick up Dynasty Warriors 8 and Sengoku Basara in a few months to get a taste of them.

Was gonna buy Samurai Warriors 3DS too. Been waiting on a good price for it used under $15 but Gamestop here is sold out and so is online :( might just have to bite the bullet and grab a cartridge only off amazon or something.

Could use a non RPG grind game lol.

Yawnier

Banned
Dunno why I even bought DW7 and DW8 at the same time. I'm liking DW8 though. Guan Yu and Xiahou Dun are the realest, most manliest warriors ever. Love em.

7 is still worth playing for the story mode and cutscenes which I prefer to 8 and the fact that the cutscenes with the map of China actually has a narrator compared to DW8 where they are completely silent aside from interlude music, but otherwise I would say DW8 is the better game.

FFS! DW8 is easy most of the time, but Fan Castle (Wu) is killing me. I can't get to both Mi Fang and Fu Shiren in time. Then, after killing Zhou Cang across the map, Guan Ping spawns pretty much on the gate controls, and killing Guan Suo didn't open the gate so I could stop him. Then Cao Ren basically falls over and dies even though not a single officer is near him.

Guess I'll try again, forget about the gate and babysit Cao Ren all the time.

Also, am I missing something with crossbows/bows? Are they ever more useful than something with a wide sweep? I'm trying to use Lian Shi and those puny arrows that strike five enemies (at best) are useless compared to any melee weapon.

FFS! DW8 is easy most of the time, but Fan Castle (Wu) is killing me. I can't get to both Mi Fang and Fu Shiren in time. Then, after killing Zhou Cang across the map, Guan Ping spawns pretty much on the gate controls, and killing Guan Suo didn't open the gate so I could stop him. Then Cao Ren basically falls over and dies even though not a single officer is near him.

Also, am I missing something with crossbows/bows? Are they ever more useful than something with a wide sweep? I'm trying to use Lian Shi and those puny arrows that strike five enemies (at best) are useless compared to any melee weapon.

I'm" trying to remember that stage but its fuzzy, do you have a good horse because the Mahogamy (I think its called? the black one) can close distance really fast if you don't have any of the special mounts.

Crossbows aren't the best but I gotten some fun out of it. Its about getting the right stats and augments with it like any weapon; Velocity is a must and the crossbow can do really good elemental damage so take advantage of that (pair it up with Cyclone if you want to break the game, Explosives, etc.). For Lian Shi, I pretty much just abuse her Musou attacks as that is where her effectiveness shines IMO.

Yawnier

Banned

I found killing Mi Fang and Fu Shiren in that stage to be a pain to get them to convert to Wu, I don't know what to say other then you have to be very fast in getting to them and killing them.

Top Bottom