• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was finding a job 20+ years ago as complicated as it is now?

bilderberg

It seems like if you don't have a linked in url, dozens of references or contacts, social media, etc you're just fucked. I just spent 20 minutes filling out an application for a courier job, only to get stumped when they start asking me for 10 years of employment dates, unemployment dates, addresses, reference history and so on. WTF? I'd be the best god damn driver these people ever hired, but because I just don't happen to know my boss's name from 6+ years ago or have a collection of numbers from past supervisors I can't even continue with the application? I couldn't even tell you my exact address from three years ago.

I have a college degree, no criminal record, but it seems like "marketing" sales scams and shitty retail jobs are what I'm going to be stuck doing the rest of life.

lil puff

Some companies are shitty, asking for you damn life history rather than just checking to see if you can do the job.

However, I think the internet has greatly improved my search for work. I actually don't remember how I got work before the internet. Basically walk in and ask for an application. Or like you say, know someone.

Don't think that you're stuck. You always have the chance to meet someone who will provide an opportunity. Keep your eyes open.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I hope not. I´ve been on the same company for 14 years so if I´d quit or get fired I would have zero clues how to get another job. I have no social media to speak of, no Linkedin or shit like that. I´m just an analogue guy in a digital world and for some odd reason I will be punished for that.

Last edited:
It was much easier 20 yrs ago. So much so that people took it for granted. Everything has evolved to the mess it is now.

i imagine it was easier.

not sure about the past, but one thing i HAAAATE about current jobs, is that the parent companies or larger places have these job portals which are terrible for the user and I feel like they are completely useless and your submissions go unheard.

I have stumbled into every job I've had. I'm 30. I'm not sure if it's hard or easy. I guess since I don't have a college degree, I just looked around to see who was hiring and did a lot of interviews. Eventually I'd get a callback and then I was back to work. Now I have more than enough work history to get a job, despite no college degree.

I've been homeless before, so I guess I am... more pragmatic when it comes to "complications" in job hunting compared to some of my peers.

Last edited:

lil puff

Indeed is a nice resource.

But I agree with Mr Hyde Mr Hyde

In my niche field, it's not easy. I have had to stay in touch with a few headhunter agencies particular to my field of work, otherwise there is no way in the front door.
I put up with a ton of shit at my current work for fear of going on that job hunt again.
I've been laid off 3 times, and sitting home not getting paid, really changes your tolerance level when you do find work.

It's all relative.

Ovek

7Member7
I know people who have been rejected for a few different jobs because they don't have Facebook accounts. Just think about that sentience for a minute and be horrified by it.

On a personal note I went for a job at Google and went through absolute hell, thing is I didn't even want the job (I ain't moving to the shit hole that is London for any amount of money) but managed to get though to the final group. The entire day was bizarre and long and stressful, you know it's going to be a "joy" when your confronted with a whiteboard in your *first* meeting/interview. You were also given the impression that you were always being watched and tested even at lunch. And that was for not a particularly exciting job, god only know what shit they put developers through.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I remember putting in paper applications to all of the local stores and having to write all the same shit down, asking to see a manager to hand in an application etc. driving everywhere and trying to see what would be a good place to work.

It was still shit, just a different kind of shit.

LMJ

In the current job market we face an enigma where we are more connected(everything digital,web links, complete job history online, etc) and yet far more unconnected than ever before.

It used to be very personal, you go in and ask for an application make an impression and get one in turn, now you show up for an interview and hope for the best...its just become so impersonal...

Futaleufu

They turned the whole process into a TV game show, with applicants, candidates, contestants, phases and one winner.

lil puff

I know people who have been rejected for a few different jobs because they don't have Facebook accounts. Just think about that sentience for a minute and be horrified by it.
Horrified in less than a minute.

Jeez, so now if you DON'T have a Facebook, you have something to hide that they can't find.

"I don't believe a word you say, I do not trust you, and I have no digital way to verify your history"

Ridiculous. The good thing about working in graphics, is that at least you bring a portfolio with you to show. However, as I have seen lately, younger folks have fucked that up by bringing in other people's work, which is evident when you see the quality in real time.

So nowadays, they will bring you in for 3-4 hours and give you a project to work on. But... as I have experienced, these stupid managers try too hard. They give you the most impossible project, shit that simply cannot be done in 4 hours. At the end, they are like GOTCHA!

Looking at the quality of hires at my workplace, this hiring process evidently is not working, because there is a culture/cancer of incompetence here.

In the current job market we face an enigma where we are more connected(everything digital,web links, complete job history online, etc) and yet far more unconnected than ever before.

It used to be very personal, you go in and ask for an application make an impression and get one in turn, now you show up for an interview and hope for the best...its just become so impersonal...
A lot of that is due to the laws agains discrimination in Western countries. You don't want to smile "the wrong way" at someone, decline to hire them, and then get sued for gender-based discrimination or something. When interviewing someone, you're not even allowed to document if they tell an anecdote about their religion or their home life. You cannot give any impression that you are considering those factors during an interview.

LMJ

I guess I'm a dinosaur, finally got a great job with an old fashioned type of guy, so good jobs ARE out there, he told me how many entitled kids he would interview before I came along, and how they were basically telling him what he should do for them in the interview :messenger_face_screaming:

Lol reminds me of a video I saw a while
back

Sad how true that feels at times...

lil puff

A lot of that is due to the laws agains discrimination in Western countries. You don't want to smile "the wrong way" at someone, decline to hire them, and then get sued for gender-based discrimination or something. When interviewing someone, you're not even allowed to document if they tell an anecdote about their religion or their home life. You cannot give any impression that you are considering those factors during an interview.
If you come into an interview telling me about your religion or home life, or anything not pertaining to the job... I'm probably not hiring you anyways. Just answer the questions.

That person, is likely to be too chatty and prioritize their personal life over work. I may be wrong, but that's how I roll.

Too many times, people stand and chat for 30 minutes, and then proceed to give me something URGENT. F that.

If you come into an interview telling me about your religion or home life, or anything not pertaining to the job... I'm probably not hiring you anyways. Just answer the questions.

That person, is likely to be too chatty and prioritize their personal life over work. I may be wrong, but that's how I roll.

Too many times, people stand and chat for 30 minutes, and then proceed to give me something URGENT. F that.
I agree, I'm just relaying what is like nowadays in Corporate America, as someone with a few hundred interviews and a few dozen job fairs under his belt. The HR red tape in interviews can make them obnoxiously "safe".

Finding a Job is easier, apply and getting a job is not. Especially since the Internet can give them info they can reject about you BEFORE you even get too the interview.

lil puff

I agree, I'm just relaying what is like nowadays in Corporate America, as someone with a few hundred interviews and a few dozen job fairs under his belt. The HR red tape in interviews can make them obnoxiously "safe".
Nah, I hear ya. They have to tippytoe around you these days.
Heck, anytime you do anything with HR it's like that, as well.

As much as I dislike when colleagues only hire their friends regardless of skill, it is probably the easiest way to get in. Quite often you can bypass the entire interview stage, or at the least, the interview is only a matter of protocol. The recommendation already had you in the door.

LMJ

What exactly is this in reference to? There's no way people interview like this in my field, let alone my age group.

... it's in reference to the story I told about my boss dealing with entitled young people, I thought I made that clear

On top of that it's just a humorous video don't think it's meant to be taken super seriously...:messenger_neutral:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finding a job has always sucked.

20 years ago i got my first job. i was a cashier at Wal Mart and got the job cos my friends worked there.

but i remember printing out a resume, driving around, going to interviews, etc. going to temp services and doing that. etc. nowadays so much of it is online. feel like that's a lot easier.

Paracelsus

Obligatory
9uSZHux.png

And everything about this pic is true.

MC Safety

They certainly added a lot more steps to the process. Oh, and I'm often asked to do free work as part of the application process.

On the plus side, I don't have to print out résumés, etc., and go to the post office to mail physical applications anymore.

Liberty4all

Banned
It's easier now imho. It's just the fields are way more specialized and you are competing against a larger pool of highly qualified candidates.

One thing that hasn't changed since the 80s and 90s is that skipping the HR line is still the best way to go aka networking. Bar talk with the right guy can lead to a jobs, cold calling the right contact can lead to a job, utilizing linkedin properly, etc

Patronage of the right person means bypassing HR crap, or the HR process being a formality.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
... it's in reference to the story I told about my boss dealing with entitled young people, I thought I made that clear

On top of that it's just a humorous video don't think it's meant to be taken super seriously...:messenger_neutral:

I imagine... I just feel like satirical videos like that are meant to be based on realistic events, in this case I don't really envision such. Not offended.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It's gotten really bad and I suspect the main culprit are bloated corporate HR departments that made the hiring process what it is to help justify said bloat. Worse still is that some smaller privately owned businesses just wound up copying some of that nonsense because they figured these big corporations must know what they're doing. They are big corporations after all! /s I do look forward to a day in the not so distant future when HR departments are gutted and replaced with an app. It should bring some common sense back to the hiring process, although by that point we'll probably be going full steam ahead toward 30% structural unemployment as automation decimates the workforce. Good times!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What kind of college degree? Some aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.
Let me answer that for your enjoyment: Gender studies.

I do not know, it depends on the field. My father and I have very comparable degrees and when my father wa applying, the process was pretty simple (basically: Send in your certificates and CV) compared to today, but the job market was a bit more difficult at the time than it was when I was applying for my current position. Either way, it would probably help you in the long run if you invested the time to reconstruct your carreer.

Ownage

No, it's worse now. In the late 90s you could scoot into DC and have a sweet gig with a BA within a cpl months not knowing a soul.

I can talk about 15 years ago, when I first entered the work force. It honestly feels about the same. There's just more avenues to find jobs now.

If I did not use connections to get a job I struggled then as I do now. If I use some sort of connection for a job, I had an easier time then as I do now.

It really is all about who you know. Use those college connections, any connections really.

I'm surprised more people aren't involved in trades. Lots of demand in my area.

While I support trades, and respect the fields. There's a lot of bullshit that comes with the territory. I left construction after about 10 years of it in the work force. More experience than that, family trade. The pay is usually shit for the physically demanding work you do, unless you're willing to travel the United States for a huge corporation. The farther you're willing to travel, the better the pay. But that pay doesn't really compete with a degree. Also there's very little in the way to take care of you when your body is run down after years of manual labor. Nearly every single man I know around 40 or above is in daily pain. Majority leg or back pain. And for what? A job that doesn't get much respect, low pay, long ass hours? I didn't want that for the rest of my life. I bounced.

Now that was construction. I hear similar things about plumbing and electricians. But I'm only tangent to those positions.

Last edited:
As before, today connections are king. If you know the right person you jump ahead 1,000 applicants in the queue.

Try applying for a private defense job that requires security clearance, your notions of privacy will be BTFO. I'm making a bid for a sweet cyber security gig for one of the big military industrial giants. They will scour the internet back 10 years for every comment, account and piece of activity you ever associated yourself with. They will also screen your email accounts and your entire financial history. After that you get to enjoy some psychological testing.

If you have skeletons in the closet, an innocent job search can in this case turn into a jail sentence.

Let it be publicly known that Mr Tickles was always a good dog.

Last edited:

lil puff

It's gotten really bad and I suspect the main culprit are bloated corporate HR departments that made the hiring process what it is to help justify said bloat. Worse still is that some smaller privately owned businesses just wound up copying some of that nonsense because they figured these big corporations must know what they're doing. They are big corporations after all! /s I do look forward to a day in the not so distant future when HR departments are gutted and replaced with an app. It should bring some common sense back to the hiring process, although by that point we'll probably be going full steam ahead toward 30% structural unemployment as automation decimates the workforce. Good times!
This is accurate. And I like the idea of gutting HR folks who I know, from experience act like lawyers. Guilty but I defend him/her anyways.

Neverwas

If i applied for my job with my credentials today, there's no way in hell I would get it. I only have it because I was the office assistant 20 years ago, and kept failing upwards.

If you have skeletons in the closet, an innocent job search can in this case turn into a jail sentence.

I work in law enforcement software development and have some 30 background checks under my belt at this point. But I also had a less than scrupulous youth. Every waking minute is a stress filled nightmare.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Easier, naturally. Today‘s much easier to find workers thanks to the internet. Employers used to be limited to the local availability. Laughed hard when I read about how Steve Jobs started at Atari back in the days (walking into the job interview bare footed etc.). Imagine something like this today?

Von Hugh

That's why I always put every single work certificate, diploma and paper in my archive in a separate folder.

waxer

I just found a job no one wants and walked in and said I wanted a job. Quick interview and said I was hired despite needing to start in three weeks due to kid being due. (Intellectual disabilities) so easy for guys to get a job with majority being woman. Still need guys to work with young guys or violent guys.

And yet no matter how many times I recomend the job to people complaining of no work they still won't even try. In other words their problem usually isn't finding work but rather a job they want.

Low income jobs I tend to find extremely easy to get as most idiots can't even dress nicely. When I was hiring at a restaurant I could tell by looks, the time they turned up and first few sentences whether person had got the job.

Trying to get a higher paid job after degree etc is another kettle of fish though.

Dark Star

I'm college educated, i've had internships, and i'm in a fairly specific field (supply chain logistics/technologies). i've interviewed with so many different companies, and it's always the same shizzz.

You go to career fairs, pass around your resume, shake hands with recruiters. They might hire you on the spot, they might call you a week later or send you an email regarding a position. You're lucky if they do. If not, you apply online : it's a mess of a process, manually entering information that is already on your resume. They just do this to weed out lazy applicants, i guess. Then, when you finally land an interview, it's not much better than the application process. Many companies will give you a very formal interview that involves a ton of psychological curveballs (like, "what is your greatest failure?" or "what is the worst decision you've made in your professional career?")

Holy fudge, that is NOT cool! You have to LIE to get a good job these days, i'm absolutely certain (well, i guess people have had to lie 20+ years ago, but it's still an issue regarding the interview process). Not just that, but depending on your field, some of these interviews are HOURS long, spanning 1-3 sessions. It's real fine-comb process these days, which is unfortunate, because many hardworking/intelligent people get weeded out for very petty reasons that have little to do with their level of skill or passion.

20+ years ago you could "put on a nice suit" and find reasonable work fairly easy, just having good people skills. These days, everyone is going to college. A college degree is the new highschool diploma, and that says a lot about how hard it is to separate yourself from others when interviewing. Though, the online aspect of applying DOES make it easier in a way, but it doesn't mean it's easier to get said job...

Last edited:
It is definitely easier back in the day where you could walk out of one job and into another.

In the UK at least, it was changed where it favours the Employers.

If you want to leave, you have to give in your notice and work that period until you leave but they can put you on jobs you were not contracted to just becaus they can and for "Security" reasons. Sadly they can fire you on the sporlt without a notice.

These days you need to have the right qualifications and experience for at least a year, vs years who where you could blag your way into a job and learn the skills on the spot. It is harder for those in their 40s/50s who learned their trade without certificates but they can be enrolled onto a course for free to get those skills...but I don't know why you would need a Certificate to state that you can do X thing when your Resumè/CV says it with the backing of the years you have been with a company.

I do think the Job market is sadly more political now where everything has to be done "By the book" over simply trusting your workers on the skills they have obtained over their career.

I sadly am one of those who has the skills in my trade but do not have a Qualification to back it up and no way to get on a Course for it as it is still a niche subject in my area, which is why I am on a Course for another Career altogether.

There is something called a Trial Interview, where you show off your skills over 2 weeks for a few hours a day to see if you are capable of it. You get paid for it and they can see if you say what you are. It worked for me and I think more Companies should try it to find new employees who can't "walk the walk" so to speak. Interviews don't work for everyone such as those with anxiety issues or shyness as it doesn't help their social skills (which should be taught in the job as well).

The hurdles you have to find a job or transfer to another job with a fear of a bad reference makes it harder than ever to get a job.

Where I work we sadly don't have an HR Department but my 3 bosses who do the hiring, firing and people skills are terrible at this. They hire either idiots who think they can do any job, people they know who have a bad record of work ethics or the lowest common demoninator who procrastinates and puts more work on the other departments.

I know people hate the HR Dept but trust me...the ones in charge are much worse at scouting and favouritising certain employees who don't deserve it.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Back then you could find a job easier if you had the proper connections. Now this gets more difficult with all the media exposure.

I got damn lucky - I got an internship out of college (as an engineer) that let me become a full employee. I'd have that employment history if a new employer wanted it, but I am a ghost otherwise, which is exactly the way I want it. I guess I would have my supervisors' references (the three I have had, although I am not in contact with the prior two) but that is it. I hate asking people for that kind of thing.

That's probably why I have a lot of animosity towards the modern concept of HR - they would make my life harder in the name of their pseudoscience of "optimal humans".

We need some serious reform in terms of what HR is allowed to do - a resume, some references from the previous job, follow-up phone calls, and a criminal background check should be more than sufficient. Hell, I'd argue that the background check should be limited by the government for cases of old, non-violent crimes to help ensure rehabilitated people can get jobs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Easier to apply for jobs now.... click of a button. But probably harder as there's 100s of other people clicking too.

In terms of getting a job by knowing people and networking your way into easy interviews, same as ever. Literally bypass the whole online submission thing.

Best way to score jobs is to know people. Sending a company a random Word resume is fine. But unless you are god, don't expect a reply back for an interview 97% of the time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I got damn lucky - I got an internship out of college (as an engineer) that let me become a full employee. I'd have that employment history if a new employer wanted it, but I am a ghost otherwise, which is exactly the way I want it. I guess I would have my supervisors' references (the three I have had, although I am not in contact with the prior two) but that is it. I hate asking people for that kind of thing.

That's probably why I have a lot of animosity towards the modern concept of HR - they would make my life harder in the name of their pseudoscience of "optimal humans".

We need some serious reform in terms of what HR is allowed to do - a resume, some references from the previous job, follow-up phone calls, and a criminal background check should be more than sufficient. Hell, I'd argue that the background check should be limited by the government for cases of old, non-violent crimes to help ensure rehabilitated people can get jobs.
Looking back, I did the traditional get a degree and get a job later..... which a friend helped me with (networking as she was already working). I never did any internship/coop student thing. But for all the university students doing coop semesters, do it. It might make graduating take an extra semester or full year, but you get something on your resume and if you're good, the company will just hire you when you graduate.

And for coop students that don't get FT employment at the company (not many), ,you still got tons of veteran employees that can help you network at other jobs, since most industries are small and everyone knows someone or came from a competing company..

Hell of a lot easier than graduating with no connections, and hoping a random job application works.

Another route is recruiters. I don't know if recruiters bother with new grads, but for experienced folks, it's all about recruiters and networking.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Obligatory
9uSZHux.png

And everything about this pic is true.
To be fair.....

Old days
- Kids, your parents and your grand parents immigrated here at the end of WWII. We had little, but have done our best to raise you guys in Canada or the US. We had blue collar jobs because we didn't get a chance to go to college/university like you. Save your money for a rainy day
- Ok kids, what do you want to do this year? You can pick one sports league or activity
- Had fun spending time with friends and family going bowling, to the movies, camping, playing street hockey,
- Vacation time gang. Everyone get in, we're doing a road trip to the nearest amusement park, or we'll go camping
- Whew. Home only costs $100,000. But fuck, the mortgage is 14%!!!
- Fuck, the phone company wants to jack up our rates $2/mth
- Hey everyone, I might be getting a new car. What do you think of this cheap Ford or brown station wagon with wood trim? About time I upgraded to a new car at the age of 35
- Time to buy clothes kids. Let's all to go the mall. Let's see what I can buy for everyone with $100.
- Is everyone hungry? How about a treat? I'll pick up some take out or pizza party for the family!
- Just a tip for you kids growing up. The amount of mortgage you qualify for depends on your disposable monthly income. If you want to get more mortgage credit, pay off your debts, and try to have a small month car loan. This way it makes it look like you have lots of spare income per month, so the bank will give you more mortgage. We spent what we had and didn't get our first credit card until we were in our 30s
- Kids, if you want to save money and stick it into assets, try not to rent. If the costs are pretty similar per month between renting and buying, buy the property
- Hey, if you want to buy a home or car, thing might have changed since we were young. But the internet should have all kinds of articles and tips to show you what to do. The government has surely changed policies and there might be first home owner grants and such

Now
- Kids, it;s all about having fun and living for today. That's what credit cards are for. Everyone will give you one. Why reach 65 years old with a stash of cash? Enjoy life and if you're broke at 65, that's what welfare is for
- Ok kids, what do you want to do this year? Hey Mikey, be quick because your sister has already shosen her picks......... soccer, gymnastics, piano lessons, etc..... You can pick a maximum of 5
- Have fun spending time with friends and family eating out every day, Starbuck runs, expensive iPhones
- Vacation time gang. Hey, let's all go Mexico or Carribbean. Cool.... never been, what's it like? We;ll I'm 25 and have been to Mexico 6 times, and did trips to Europe 4 times already. Before I'm 30 I want to make sure I've been to every continent
- Whew, The home costs $500,000!!! But the mortgage is only 3%
- Fuck, cell phone phone rates now $80/mth, and Apple and Samsung want to increase the price of their new phones to $600. But I'll do it
- Hey everyone, I might be getting a new car. What do you think between a BMW, Mercedes or this awesome balck fully loaded SUV? Can't decide as it ranges from $50,000-70,000. I want to make sure I have a nice ride before I'm 30
- Time to buy new clothes. I hope I can find nice Nikes or another black shoe to add to the 25 I already have (women's). My budget is $150-200
- Is everyone hungry? I'm not. I ate out for lunch, did Starbucks on the way home. Not sure when I'll pick up dinner tonight
- Does anyone in the family have an financial tips for me? I have a monstrous student loan due to going to a school I shouldn't have, I'm 22 and have 3 credit cards already with tons of loans on it, and I have no clue what to do to get a mortgage
- Kids, It's easier to rent. I'll call the landlord if there's a problem. I'm willing to forgo property appreciation in return for less homeowner responsibilities
- Can someone just verbally tell me what to do to help me with finances? I know the net has lots of info, but I'm too busy doing Snapchat and Fortnite

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
It sure is... from my grandpa to me it's like a pyramid/triangle.

Grandpa was average, father was top executive, I'm average. lol

ViolentP

When I started in the IT industry, one thing almost all of my clients had in common was the IT nightmare story. It made them all very wary of hiring. So I pivoted my presentation to lean strongly on the fact that I don't focus solely on solutions, but also in educating my client on what caused their issue to better help prevent it. Some clients I would audit their infrastructure and write up an action plan for them and transparently tell them this is what they need to execute. Whether with me or anyone else, this is what you need so here, a plan to evolve your infrastructure free of charge. 90% of the time, they would call me for the project.

The point is that I knew the reputation my industry had. But rather than swim against that current, I leveraged it to provide something that had been absent for some time. Something my potential clients longed for.

All of this of course was only possible because of two things:
1. I chose an industry to absorb
2. I was the resource to my client, not my work. They paid for my knowledge and all the legwork was always free. They were paying for me and I always made sure they got their money's worth.

Top Bottom