• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZdkIoQf.png

Promising, but I doubt it'll be locked at 60fps.

Expect spikes up and down.

hawk2025

I think he's massively exaggerating but it is possible to encounter very minor dips in very specific circumstances hence why I believe it's 99.9% solid.

Doesn't mean it could have run at 60 fps, though. I'd imagine it could in many areas but it would be inconsistent and drop in others. I'm glad they locked it down. Same thing I do on my PC when I can't maintain a completely stable 60.

Well, absolutely! I don't mean it has to be 100% locked all the time over a 40-hour experience, and I don't even think it's reasonable to expect an engine to NEVER have a hiccup.

But saying "the game drops frames when fighting ships or a few dudes" (paraphrasing) is ridiculous. His post clearly imply something much, much worse than what acrually happens in the game.

By the way, the MP is also locked at 30 on the PS4, not 60.

AC IV drops under 30 fps in rare circumstances, on PS4

I've noticed it in some villages, when chased by many guards, while it's raining. And it can happen during ship battles or boarding too

Yoday

I think he's massively exaggerating but it is possible to encounter very minor dips in very specific circumstances hence why I believe it's 99.9% solid.

Doesn't mean it could have run at 60 fps, though. I'd imagine it could in many areas but it would be inconsistent and drop in others. I'm glad they locked it down. Same thing I do on my PC when I can't maintain a completely stable 60.
Exactly. I think a couple of people missed "closer to" in my 60fps statement. I highly doubt that it would have run at a solid 60fps had it been unlocked, but it probably would have been in the high 40's to low 50's most of the time.

hawk2025

i mean, that's three people saying it. not saying it runs crappy, just that it happens. maybe others will chime in, so i don't have to stream four hours of black flag to wait for dips

...if you have to stream four hours of Black Flag to wait for dips, you are conceding the point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

R_Deckard

1) game dips below 30fps
2) there's no "hidden power" behind the 30fps
3) you cant say it "probably ran closer to 60", because you have no way of knowing.

what in the hell are you talking about?

1 and 2 are just plain wrong the Game NEVER dips below 30 on PS4 thus the FPS is greater, IF it hits 60 is an unknown outside of Ubisoft.

As stated, these drops in AC4 are rare, but they can be forced, e.g. close distance combats with multiple other, well upgraded ships shooting their guns at the same time. Of course, the game's framerate is very stable in general.

what in the hell are you talking about?

1 and 2 are just plain wrong the Game NEVER dips below 30 on PS4 thus the FPS is greater, IF it hits 60 is an unknown outside of Ubisoft.
looks like he might be right. the 1080p patch messed up the performance, but it could be a glitch :p

codhand

I've noticed it in some villages, when chased by many guards, while it's raining. And it can happen during ship battles or boarding too

awesome, so that's a small handful of people who have thankfully decided to tell me i'm not crazy.

...if you have to stream four hours of Black Flag to wait for dips, you are conceding the point.

let's review my point: "it dips below 30"

I think he's massively exaggerating

this whole time ive attempted to avoid exaggeration

"it dips below 30" = "massively exaggerating"?

i love this game. it is a fun game. i do not care about framerate dips.

i agree it's ridiculous to play for four hours to wait for dips to prove to some people that is does happen, makes it seem like i don't enjoy the game.

bombshell

Yeah lol.

The rarity of drops on PS4 suggests that the game if unlocked would run at 40-50 fps most of the time, maybe even hitting 60 fps a few times. This is why I think the long delay of Watch Dogs could have helped them achieve a 50-60 fps on PS4 warranting an unlocked framerate (capped at 60).

R_Deckard

All of those 60 fps references pre-release were referring to the multiplayer which is 60 fps in the retail product as well IIRC.

No the MP is 30 like the SP, and this was quite close to release on the 60fps part.

It could have been parity it could have been a better experience, but it was seen running at 60.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
awesome, so that's a small handful of people who have thankfully decided to tell me i'm not crazy.

let's review my point: "it dips below 30"

this whole time ive attempted to avoid exaggeration

"it dips below 30" = "massively exaggerating"?

i love this game. it is a fun game. i do not care about framerate dips.

i agree it's ridiculous to play for four hours to wait for dips to prove to some people that is does happen, makes it seem like i don't enjoy the game.

Don't come in here with your truth and common sense! I've deffo seen the slightest hiccups on AC iv but I am talking maybe 4-5 in my entire playthrough of like 60-70 hours. Man I loved that game.

Gestault

I would laugh if whenever it was shown publicly, it was already running at 60 fps, but no one realized it because of the shoddy/limited means of streaming that footage online, and the publisher didn't realize it until now.

Meet the editors pushing Ubisoft to be better than Nintendo, Rockstar, Valve and Blizzard

Serge Hascoet joined Ubisoft in 1987 as a designer and tester of sorts, working on Iron Lord and Skateball for the home computers of the day. Over his 27 years with the company, he has been a game designer and studio head, but today he shapes Ubisoft’s creative direction as its chief creative officer and head of the editorial team. It was Hascoet who insisted that cutscenes were a redundant method of storytelling in the early ’00s, Hascoet who mandated that every Ubisoft game should aim for 60fps, and Hascoet who is driving the company towards open worlds and systemic games as it transitions to a new generation of hardware.

http://www.edge-online.com/features...er-than-nintendo-rockstar-valve-and-blizzard/

Believe!

R_Deckard

looks like he might be right. the 1080p patch messed up the performance, but it could be a glitch :p

It may have In the rarest case some small dips, (asset loading, Saving ) whatever but 99.9% from the 1080p patch I played I never noticed it or any, and within a minute of playing second son I could see it was unlocked so I am not saying any crazy shizzle like I have Fraps for retina's But I can usually see this stuff..we will see if this holds.

I am going to make a bold claim and I think this is true and it will be 60~ on PS4

bombshell

Don't come in here with your truth and common sense! I've deffo seen the slightest hiccups on AC iv but I am talking maybe 4-5 in my entire playthrough of like 60-70 hours. Man I loved that game.

The discussion about Black Flag was spawned by codhand saying it was bullshit that the near-locked 30 fps on PS4 meant that the game was actually running closer to 60 fps most of the time, which would mean it would only need to run at 45+ fps for it to be true.

You just further proved the point, that it possibly is with your experience of the rarity of drops.

hawk2025

This is what you said:

agree, but yeah ship battles, and fights with a bunch of dudes, it dips. not bad, but not like "they almost had 60fps but decided for parity sake to lock it at 30fps", is bs.

This is a much, MUCH stronger statement than waiting four hours for a dip.

I'm sure you will agree.

It may have In the rarest case some small dips, (asset loading, Saving ) whatever but 99.9% from the 1080p patch I played I never noticed it or any, and within a minute of playing second son I could see it was unlocked so I am not saying any crazy shizzle lik eI have Fraps for retina's but I can usually see this stuff..we will see if this holds.

I am going to make a bold claim and I think this is true and it will be 60~ on PS4
it's sounds like a glitch. IMO very strange the game was initially running at 900p and had to be patched to 1080p. it should have been 1080p from the start, same goes for cod. i guess ubi and infinity ward wanted parity across the two versions

baconcow

All those stating they didn't see ACIV dip below 30 fps. I played for about 60 hours and completely around 98% of the game (missed a few optional objectives). Large sea battles with 5+ larger ships will drop below 30 fps every time. The combat while Man O'War will drop below 30 fps on almost every time. The game runs excellent, but those looking for drops just need to put themselves in one of these situations. I found myself in these situations dozens of times, in my 60 hours. It did not detract from the fun of the game, luckily.

I am hoping Watch Dogs has comparable performance, if not better.

I'm not sure why people are bringing up AC IV...maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't it made by an entirely different team?

Plus Watch Dogs has been in development far longer than AC IV, so I don't see why they wouldn't get it to run at a higher framerate considering they had more time to optimize for the console.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The discussion about Black Flag was spawned by codhand saying it was bullshit that the near-locked 30 fps on PS4 meant that the game was actually running closer to 60 fps most of the time, which would mean it would only need to run at 45+ fps for it to be true.

You just further proved the point, that it possibly is with your experience of the rarity of drops.

The games never running near 60 because it is locked at 30. I am confused. They decided to lock it for some reason. I am glad they did. It runs beautifully thanks to it. really enjoyed that game. great ps4 launch title. Like you said earlier, or someone. I am hoping with the extra dev time for watchdogs that they could get to 60. It's deffo a possability.

Fingers crossed :D. I cant wait. I have faith

Riky

$MSFT
it's sounds like a glitch. IMO very strange the game was initially running at 900p and had to be patched to 1080p. it should have been 1080p from the start, same goes for cod. i guess ubi and infinity ward wanted parity across the two versions

You wouldn't have a day one patch boosting resolution if you " wanted parity", the explanation is probably that it was new hardware with two consoles with a similar architecture, as they were launch ports they were developed together with the same assets and resolutions. Once finished they optimised and realised they could easily get more out of PS4 due to unified memory and more powerful CPU, hence launch patch.

bombshell

The games never running near 60 because it is locked at 30. I am confused. They decided to lock it for some reason. I am glad they did. It runs beautifully thanks to it. really enjoyed that game. great ps4 launch title. Like you said earlier, or someone. I am hoping with the extra dev time for watchdogs that they could get to 60. It's deffo a possability.

Fingers crossed :D. I cant wait. I have faith

There's a difference between running near 60 and closer to 60, just saying ;)

Proponent

Banned
Yeah, this game isn't running at 60 fps. BS!

LIES.

Fubar! It'll probably hit 60 for small moments but quickly fluctuate back down to the 50s.

It'll be unlocked and unstable. Thier just trying to pull jedi mind tricks for sales!

NOT LOCKED.

hawk2025

Yeah, this game isn't running at 60 fps. BS!

LIES.

Fubar! It'll probably hit 60 for small moments but quickly fluctuate back down to the 50s.

It'll be unlocked and unstable. Thier just trying to pull jedi mind tricks for sales!

NOT LOCKED.

lol, I love how your outrage still has a great scenario where the game runs north of 50.

How I wish that was the case :p

anddo0

I'm doubting this, especially from Ubi on a Sony platform.

I think the game will hit the high 40's, and 60 in some spots; much like AC4.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
There's no way in hell that Sony or Ubisoft would let this rumour continue if it weren't true. I'm now convinced it's 60fps (unlocked). Come on folks, believe.

hawk2025

There's no way in hell that Sony or Ubisoft would let this rumour continue if it weren't true. I'm now convinced it's 60fps (unlocked). Come on folks, believe.

It's a little blurb on a website and it's currently 9:30 in California.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Skeff

I've gone from "typo" to "wow the DF thread is going to be fun and full of should have locked at 30fps posts"

We have some "strong" evidence.
1. Creative Director Jonathan Morin ignored the 60FPS questions in a recent Twitter AMA.
2. AssassinsCreed4 on Ps4 ran at 30FPS without dips which means that it actually ran well above 30FPS if it were unlocked.
3. Some important guy at Ubisoft who is especially commited to open world games on next gen systems said that "every Ubisoft game should aim for 60FPS".

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We have some "strong" evidence.
1. Creative Director Jonathan Morin ignored the 60FPS questions in a recent Twitter AMA.
2. AssassinsCreed4 on Ps4 ran at 30FPS without dips which means that it actually ran well above 30FPS if it were unlocked.
3. Some important guy at Ubisoft who is especially commited to open world games on next gen systems said that "every Ubisoft game should aim for 60FPS".

Yep, all roads converge! I believe this to be true.

Nugg

Also, they can make a lot of performance fine tuning until the very last moment. It's often the last thing you do. AC4 even got its 1080p patch a few days after release. I wouldn't be surprised if the real current situation is "well, we can't go on the record and say it's 60 fps yet, because it's currently not, but we strongly believe we can make it for launch"

The game is a few days away from release, it has been downgraded and we still dont know the resolution or frame rate

All signs point to a disaster of a port

so my question is why ubi wouldn't have been upfront about this? Seems like a selling point. Perhaps as not to shatter the illusion of parity between platforms (some sort of nda?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom