• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 60fps on PS4? [Update: 1080/60fps text removed from website]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr guildo

Just saw this on the playstation website, probably a typo right?

http://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/watch-dogs-ps4?CMP=soc_us__gm_psblog_topbanner_3_4_14

edit:Seems a little weird to be a typo because they type as header " the true watch_dogs experience" ?

1080@60... jedi mind tricks
ib1MhoubjdG8W1.gif

hal-2001-200x150.jpg
: "10 sec left before Thread closing... 9...8...7...6..."
89754-SHEEIT-gif-Clay-Davis-The-Wire-R90q.gif

3656009-2531733023-34292.gif

Yoday

this doesn't make any sense.

Ass Creed 4 was horribly optimized on PC with fluctuating frame rates on top of the line rigs and CPU's.
Ass creed 4 ran at LOCKED 30 FPS on PS4.

Why would Watch Dogs (a game more complex than ass creed 4) run at 60 FPS on PS4?

Blim played the game recently and said it was locked at 30 FPS with rare drops on PS4

[/b]

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gamersyde_preview_watch_dogs-15226_en.html
They have had another six months to work with the PS4, so it's not hard to imagine that they have gotten a lot more out of it in that time. Also, while ACIV was locked at 30, it NEVER dipped below, not even during the most intensive scenes. Because of that, the game probably actually ran closer to 60fps than 30, but the developer chose to lock it either for parity reasons, or because they chose to have a more consistent framerate. Either way, there was a lot of performance hidden behind that 30fps lock in ACIV.

DryvBy

I think its really strange that we don't have any official statement. You'd think that Sony and/or Ubisoft would set things straight if this were a mistake before sites run the story and get peoples hopes up.

This will be a disaster for Sony if they don't fix it, if it's a mistake.

The Llama

I was under the impression it didn't. Was the judder not caused by being above 60fps? Or do you mean that wasn't consistent, and that it did drop also?

It was, but I *think* that was when it was running at 720p (in SP). When they patched it to 1080p it did have a few dips below 60.

They have had another six months to work with the PS4, so it's not hard to imagine that they have gotten a lot more out of it in that time. Also, while ACIV was locked at 30, it NEVER dipped below, not even during the most intensive scenes. Because of that, the game probably actually ran closer to 60fps than 30, but the developer chose to lock it either for parity reasons, or because they chose to have a more consistent framerate. Either way, there was a lot of performance hidden behind that 30fps lock in ACIV.

this is sooo not happening bro

have you seen the PC requirements for this game? It is going to be a technical disaster on PS4. lol at the notion it will run at 60 FPS. Soo wrong!

BibiMaghoo

It was, but I *think* that was when it was running at 720p (in SP). When they patched it to 1080p it did have a few dips below 60.

That would make sense. The situation is a bit confusing given the shoddy accuracy with which technical details were reported at the time.

_hekk05

Banned
When it comes to Ubi, not even Gaf believes.

Also the games journalists probably think Sony is good enough of a source. Should still at least contact and get a response from Ubi though.

theres something grand about 60 fps in an open world game on consoles. Like a unicorn.

Besides Jak hd collection, are there any open world games on consoles that average 50+ fps?

I already miss your NGNL avatar

I think you're going to be disappointed. There's no way this will run at 60.

I even doubt Unity will run at anything other then 30.

I was under the impression it didn't. Was the judder not caused by being above 60fps? Or do you mean that wasn't consistent, and that it did drop also?

I played it late last week and in certain areas of certain maps it grinds down to a slide show, with tearing (prison break inparticular).

While there may be times where it exceeds 60fps, it doesn't account for all the frame rate problems of that game.

hawk2025

This will be a disaster for Sony if they don't fix it, if it's a mistake.

lol, a disaster?

Some intern messed up on the website description.

We already know through press and past Ubi statements that the game runs at 30.
There's no accounting for awful websites reporting this as news.

codhand

ACIV was locked at 30, it NEVER dipped below, not even during the most intensive scenes. Because of that, the game probably actually ran closer to 60fps than 30, but the developer chose to lock it either for parity reasons, or because they chose to have a more consistent framerate. Either way, there was a lot of performance hidden behind that 30fps lock in ACIV.

so much BS in this post.

Yoday

this is sooo not happening bro

have you seen the PC requirements for this game? It is going to be a technical disaster on PS4. lol at the notion it will run at 60 FPS. Soo wrong!
I'm not saying that it is, I'm merely saying that stating it won't based on ACIV's performance is flawed.

We have no idea what kind of PC hardware is actually going to be required to get the same quality and performance as the PS4 version. This is a new generation, and we have no idea what kind of PC specs are going to match these consoles when it comes to real world performance. You can't really use anything from launch as an example because all of the multiplatform titles were extremely rushed onto unfamiliar hardware, and the best looking games are exclusives that you can't compare to anything on the PC.

Same thing on PC. Most open world games I played on PC had fluctuating frame rates. Far Cry 3, sleeping dogs, gta4 etc etc

open world games are too complex and their are too many variables. when 10 cars appear near complex geometry and the player causes an explosion, of course the frame rate is going to tank...then there is LOD, shadow quality and shadow draw distance, numbers of vehicles and pedestrians on scene...

well most games in general have fltuating framerate unless its a text adventure or something with zero explosions ;)

Sleeping dogs is actually one of the only games of this type that i can get a solid lock on 60fps. still one of the best pc version of an open world game.

I already miss your NGNL avatar

was a bit too busy, will probably do another sooner or later.

The Llama

What? Why? It's true, I also never noticed AC4 dip below 30fps.

Same. Thought it was really impressive, all things considered. Kinda hope thats what WD is like, rather than unlocked. Meanwhile, I played through (and beat) inFamous before the 30FPS lock patch came out, and the stuttering of the unlocked framerate really annoyed me at times (especially when panning the camera).

EL CUCO

I played it late last week and in certain areas of certain maps it grinds down to a slide show, with tearing (prison break inparticular).

While there may be times where it exceeds 60fps, it doesn't account for all the frame rate problems of that game.

So you're saying there's is a chance.

codhand

I haven't finished it yet, but in the 10-15 hours I've put in it has been solid.

agree, but yeah ship battles, and fights with a bunch of dudes, it dips. not bad, but not like "they almost had 60fps but decided for parity sake to lock it at 30fps", is bs.

the frame rate must have been variable so they decided to lock it. he is right, but i doubt it always ran at 60 FPS :p

AC4 multiplayer was actually 60FPS on Ps4 at E3 last year. It was 30FPS in the final game.

AC4 doesn't drop a single frame, so I guess it would run well above 30FPS unlocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Uza8TUbQU

Maybe they were close to achieve 60FPS in AC4 but decided to lock it at 30 instead of "somewhat 60", but in Watchdogs with a few more months of optimisation because of the release, they managed 60FPS.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
That would make sense. The situation is a bit confusing given the shoddy accuracy with which technical details were reported at the time.

the frame rate on ghosts ps4 is shocking at times. It's just drops. There seems to be some confusion around the internet and it really needs addressing. The game is even worse after map packs and updates too.it's a slideshow on certain maps at times.

Yoday

1) game dips below 30fps
2) there's no "hidden power" behind the 30fps
3) you cant say it "probably ran closer to 60", because you have no way of knowing.
1) No, it really doesn't
2) So you think they just found some way to make the game never go below or above 30fps?
3) In order to never dip below 30 during the most intensive scenes, the game has to be running at quite a bit higher than that the rest of the time. It isn't hard to imagine the game ran at higher than 45fps during most of the game, and anything higher than 45 is as I stated "closer to 60".

hawk2025

I want to see the receipts of ACIV framedrops.

(But I still think people are setting themselves up for disappointment by even entertaining the idea of Watch Dogs being at 60 or unlocked)

jaaz

This thread isn't about ACIV, but to suggest it wasn't a steady 30 FPS on PS4 suggests that person never played the game. Or they are trolling.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
theres something grand about 60 fps in an open world game on consoles. Like a unicorn.

Besides Jak hd collection, are there any open world games on consoles that average 50+ fps?
People keep forgetting about poor Driver: San Francisco which I brought up many pages ago.

It was a technical feat of the highest order. Not only did it deliver a solid 60 fps in an open world city but the "possession" mechanic allowed you to jump out of any car and free-fly the camera all over the city at insane speeds without any hiccups or loading. It's really quite a miracle.

Burnout Paradise too is impressive in its own right but Driver SF is in its own league.

This thread isn't about ACIV, but to suggest it wasn't a steady 30 FPS on PS4 suggests that person never played the game.
Seriously. It's about as lock as a frame-rate can get. It's a rock solid 30 fps 99.9% of the time. There aren't even any actual hitches or skips in the game either. Nothing to interrupt the fluidity. Considering the series past that's pretty impressive.

agree, but yeah ship battles, and fights with a bunch of dudes, it dips. not bad, but not like "they almost had 60fps but decided for parity sake to lock it at 30fps", is bs.
I don't think I ever saw it drop.

It was originally intended to be 60fps anyway. There are plenty of articles that came out around E3 with Ubisoft saying the next-gen versions would be 60fps. And then they weren't.

So maybe this time around they've had time to optimise. You have to remember that these ARE last-gen games with next-gen paint, so 60fps isn't that much of a push.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't think I ever saw it drop.

It was originally intended to be 60fps anyway. There are plenty of articles that came out around E3 with Ubisoft saying the next-gen versions would be 60fps. And then they weren't.

So maybe this time around they've had time to optimise. You have to remember that these ARE last-gen games with next-gen paint, so 60fps isn't that much of a push.

All of those 60 fps references pre-release were referring to the multiplayer which is 60 fps in the retail product as well IIRC.

Yoday

I want to see the receipts of ACIV framedrops.

(But I still think people are setting themselves up for disappointment by even entertaining the idea of Watch Dogs being at 60 or unlocked)
The trick is to not actually care all that much :p

60fps would be nice for sure, but I won't be disappointed if it is at 30. I'm going into it expecting 30, as that is what I have always anticipated it being. If it's higher, then that's...just gravy!

As long as it runs better than Far Cry 3 on the PS3, which I am currently playing through, then I'll be happy.

hawk2025

People keep forgetting about poor Driver: San Francisco which I brought up many pages ago.

It was a technical feat of the highest order. Not only did it deliver a solid 60 fps in an open world city but the "possession" mechanic allowed you to jump out of any car and free-fly the camera all over the city at insane speeds without any hiccups or loading. It's really quite a miracle.

Burnout Paradise too is impressive in its own right but Driver SF is in its own league.

Seriously. It's about as lock as a frame-rate can get. It's a rock solid 30 fps 99.9% of the time. There aren't even any actual hitches or skips in the game either. Nothing to interrupt the fluidity. Considering the series past that's pretty impressive.

it's because i played it im saying that

kinda tough when digital foundry analysis says this about the 1080p patch

I'm going to go ahead and trust dark10x and my own experience playing through the game over you, sorry :)

Do feel free to produce proof, though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm going to go ahead and trust dark10x and my own experience playing through the game over you, sorry :)

Do feel free to produce proof, though.
I think he's massively exaggerating but it is possible to encounter very minor dips in very specific circumstances hence why I believe it's 99.9% solid.

Doesn't mean it could have run at 60 fps, though. I'd imagine it could in many areas but it would be inconsistent and drop in others. I'm glad they locked it down. Same thing I do on my PC when I can't maintain a completely stable 60.

codhand

AC4 definitely drops under 30 in rare circumstances, especially when boarding other ships.

Initiate a sea battle with 5 (preferably bigger) ships and watch the framerate die. Nothing common but I remember 2 moments where I made the game drop to single digits,

i mean, that's three people saying it. not saying it runs crappy, just that it happens. maybe others will chime in, so i don't have to stream four hours of black flag to wait for dips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom