• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

Oh GAF, never change.

Ubisoft reconfirm its existence again, and at an investor call where it would be incredibly easy to state it was cancelled if indeed it was, because not saying that opens them up to all sorts of "lying to shareholders" problems in the future.

90% of replies = "oh its cancelled then".

Are you all that reluctant to eat that crow?

jmizzal

Hey, remember when Ubisoft delay the release of the finished version of Wii U's Rayman Legend to finish the development of other versions?

Oh, wait, they're not doing that this time? :p

Which makes this so hypocritical of Ubisoft, when in the end the WiiU version of Rayman Legends out sold the PS3 and 360 versions, but yet they delay the WiiU version of this.

Oh GAF, never change.

Ubisoft reconfirm its existence again, and at an investor call where it would be incredibly easy to state it was cancelled if indeed it was, because not saying that opens them up to all sorts of "lying to shareholders" problems in the future.

This, I been saying all along if they are gonna cancel it it will be during the investors meeting, and others said the same thing, but now they say its still coming during the investors meeting they say on no its canceled still lol

BibiMaghoo

Maybe...

Maybe it was cancelled. The debate over if it was or not, made them decide to move forward with it, which is why it is coming at a later date...

Maybe.

meanspartan

Oh GAF, never change.

We've seen this charade before with Colonial Marines. Of course, no one cared cuz that game sucked.

It is entirely possible this game never comes out on Wii U, ESPECIALLY if the Wii U continues to under-perform leading up to the launch of this game.

Like I said, kind of like a passive-aggressive cancellation. The game being delayed on just Wii U increases its odds of it never coming out period.

We've seen this charade before with Colonial Marines. Of course, no one cared cuz that game sucked.

It is entirely possible this game never comes out on Wii U, ESPECIALLY if the Wii U continued to under-perform leading up to the launch of this game.

Like I said, kind of like a passive-aggressive cancellation. The game being delayed on just Wii U increases its odds of it never coming out period.

No. If they were going to cancel it they would've cancelled it. Alien Colonial Marines Wii U was delayed, but not delayed to be cancelled. After they saw the poor reception to the PS3/360 versions it was obvious thats why they cancelled it. There was no point to continue the memory of such a continued terrible investment in Colonial marines.

Sami+

I wonder why they don't just admit that it's cancelled. Wouldn't that just encourage sales on other platforms...?

Elios83

Chances that it will be definetly cancelled further down the road are really high imo.
You have to read through the PR language and right now they're saying the Wiii U version development is on hold because they need to focus and release the key versions first.

I wonder why they don't just admit that it's cancelled. Wouldn't that just encourage sales on other platforms...?

It also wouldn't open them up to a class action lawsuit from investors for lying to them, but hey, I guess ubisoft are super scared of those online petitions and twitter campaigns wiiu owners would run or something.

MBR

Banned
If it indeed isn't cancelled, it'll sell like crap (Well, more like crap than before, being on the Wii U) either way since 95% of the people who wants it will have it on other hardware by then.

I only see them releasing on Wii U if the other versions don't perform well, kinda' like a last resort.

liger05

It's an unprecedented situation.

Even the Dreamcast had third party support up until the end.

This. As a DC owner the only real bad news was when Sega announced they were pulling the plug. With the wii u it's just been numerous bad news stories and to think this console is less than 18 months old.

Ubisoft is going to cancel this game. The bad Wii U sales this year will give them an excuse. The game wasn't going to sell 100k worldwide anyway so it really doesn't matter besides the fact that Ubisoft is moving on from Wii U but we knew that since last E3. I don't know why this is made out to be that big of a deal. Compared to have 0 sports games post launch, this barely registers.

ibuHI8RaExmqQT.gif

lol

edit: even better

RPGamer92

Banned
Ubisoft is going to cancel this game. The bad Wii U sales this year will give them an excuse. The game wasn't going to sell 100k worldwide anyway so it really doesn't matter besides the fact that Ubisoft is moving on from Wii U but we knew that since last E3. I don't know why this is made out to be that big of a deal. Compared to have 0 sports games post launch, this barely registers.
You're referring just to the Wii U version right?

Before everyone starts blasting Ubsoft, chances are likely that Nintendo told Ubisoft to delay the game and wait for MK8. Iwata has some insane belief that their family friendly first party games will sell more mature third party games this year.

Plus, he doesn't think WatchDogs Wii U is competing against WatchDogs on other systems.

You realize your post sounds delusional, don't you?

I don't see how this matters, since the game wasn't going to sell well anyways.

It matters because it speaks to the larger problem that Nintendo and the Wii U face. This one game isn't necessarily the issue.

It wouldn't have sold much to begin with but with the delay it will sell even less and honestly Ubisoft is making a poor decision not to outright cancel it, IMO.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Of course.

At what point does Nintendo simply deny them the SKU / Liecence for the next console? Seriously, they use the Wii U as an over glorified advertisement platform for Rayman Legends' Xbox and PS3 releases and then they pull out this shit.

Deny the company that stood by them better than anyone else? That doesn't make much sense to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This. As a DC owner the only real bad news was when Sega announced they were pulling the plug. With the wii u it's just been numerous bad news stories and to think this console is less than 18 months old.

Say what? You don't recall the two "mystery" games Namco was going to publish on DC after the amazing Soul Calibur? Everything from Tekken to Splatterhouse was thrown around as possible titles, and then we wound up with Mr Driller and Namco Museum.

Well, it was bad news to me : (

Of course.

At what point does Nintendo simply deny them the SKU / Liecence for the next console? Seriously, they use the Wii U as an over glorified advertisement platform for Rayman Legends' Xbox and PS3 releases and then they pull out this shit.

Someone actually believes this....

How much negative news does this console generate. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

I think we would have seen the same sort of reactions towards the Sega Saturn / CD / 32X mess if it was actually released at a time when the Internet was ubiquitous.

Don't believe their lies.

They're playing the political angle and planned on ditching Nintendo a long time ago.

Not to mention the Rayman disaster.

I don't blame them after those ZombiU (lack of) sales. Game is brilliant and most of the fanbase just ignored it in favor of Nintendo rehashes.

They did far more for the Wii U launch than they did for PS4 or Xbone and got shat on by Nintendo fans.

cacildo

Im saying this for some time now, but i think this game will be terrible! And maybe Ubisoft is aware of this

If its released and panned by critics, there´s not even reason to release the WiiU version at a later date.

Unless they moneyhat some token exclusives from 3rd parties, this was basically it for 3rd party publisher support for the WiiU. At least Indie support is strong.

I can't help but think that 3rd parties, up until close to release really were led to believe the WiiU to be much more powerful and capable of running games without much problems.

Tobor

I think we would have seen the same sort of reactions towards the Sega Saturn / CD / 32X mess if it was actually released at a time when the Internet was ubiquitous.

Great point. The Internet as it is today would have had a field day with Sega during that era.

I think we would have seen the same sort of reactions towards the Sega Saturn if it was actually released at a time when the Internet was ubiquitous.
You're comparing the Wii U to a console that was released the day that it was announced?

... well, when I think about it Nintendo might as well have done that considering how poorly planned their launch was so good analogy.

Unless they moneyhat some token exclusives from 3rd parties, this was basically it for 3rd party publisher support for the WiiU. At least Indie support is strong.

I can't help but think that 3rd parties, up until close to release really were led to believe the WiiU to be much more powerful and capable of running games without much problems.

If anything, with the leaks we were getting, they thought it would be much weaker.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ubi reaaaally don't want me to pick up that version, huh? Too bad, because the hacking and what not looked to be neat on the gamepad. Oh, well. Steam sale it is then.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Well it was destined to sell poorly on Wii U, now it's just destined to fail. Why even bother with the Wii U version at this point?

MercuryLS

Banned
I don't blame them after those ZombiU (lack of) sales. Game is brilliant and most of the fanbase just ignored it in favor of Nintendo rehashes.

They did far more for the Wii U launch than they did for PS4 or Xbone and got shat on by Nintendo fans.

It's amazing how poorly that game sold on Wii U when it seemed like a decent title that used the Gamepad in really cool ways and was a full on exclusive made specifically for the console.

Shiggy

So that's where the rumblings came from that it's cancelled: The Bucharest team has been put on the other versions so that those will be finished by June. Will it be released on Wii U? I guess the final decision will be made at a later time; while a Wii U version is currently not being worked on, Guillemont indicates that it will be put back on track at a later time. I guess it's better than having Ubisoft Bucharest just sit around.

Top Bottom