• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs still coming to WiiU but at a later date

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"sent to die", lol, as if launched on the same day was "sent to live forever".

Again, so many people care for the Wii U version, it's unbelievable. So many concerned that it's going to be cancelled. Not knowing the reality, one could think Wii U is so loved here.

Why on earth would they delay it instead of outright cancel it? This is bizarre. I really don't expect this to ever come out for the system, unless it's digital only

Saty

1. Ubisoft has released in the past PC ports up to a year later. That didn't stop those versions to do well enough that the sequels kept being released on the platform. So no, using late releases as excuse of the sku not being viable doesn't fly.

2. Ubisoft has already released two of its biggest core IP's on the Wii U, day and date with other versions. They still sold pitifully. However, what did sell decently were the JD and Rayman games - and those will be still made for the Wii U.

Ubisoft are just re-alining their output based on the user-base spending.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Why on earth would they delay it instead of outright cancel it?

It's very plausible that they are just rescheduling manpower from the less profitable Wii U version to other tasks, especially since the games has already been delayed and is apparently coming in hot.

Yagharek

Again, so many people care for the Wii U version, it's unbelievable. So many concerned that it's going to be cancelled. Not knowing the reality, one could think Wii U is so loved here.

The Wii U has some genuinely excellent games out already. Thats why it is appreciated by many on gaf. That is independent of the system being a commercial disaster.

Anyway, I wonder if the delayed version of watchdogs might be released at a budget price instead? That might drive sales of that version instead of it selling against already discounted versions on the other platforms.

Mlatador

Banned

No, they are just eagerly awaiting its cancellation, so that they have another reason to post 35 "what does Nintendo need to change" threads a day.

DVCY201

So this is essentially Assassin's Creed 3 all over again? All the people who WANT this game immediately are going to buy it on all the other platforms, leaving the Wii U to die once more.

Great, so I can prolly expect a shoddy port job on top of that, that has worse textures and framerate. Ubisoft, you make it so hard to justify supporting you on the Wii U.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No, they are just eagerly awaiting it's cancellation, so that they have another reason to post 35 "what does Nintendo need to change" threads a day.

Some of us like seeing the nails being driven into the coffin.

bc5.gif
Didn't have the patience to save this for Thursday?
Well at least you're honest LOL

Glass Joe

High quality posts like this sure drive civil discussion.

But back to the thread, it's interesting they say they're delaying instead of cancelling. I do wonder if they feel that they've put enough work into it that they should release it eventually. Maybe they do have some cool gamepad options worked out, or what they do have runs and looks good. Or maybe they just want to soften the blow for when they do cancel it, since less people would care by then.

rokkerkory

Coming 6 months later I bet... THE definitive version.

Actually this is prob a good thing to allocate right attention to the Wii U version.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But back to the thread, it's interesting they say they're delaying instead of cancelling. I do wonder if they feel that they've put enough work into it that they should release it eventually. Maybe they do have some cool gamepad options worked out, or what they do have runs and looks good. Or maybe they just want to soften the blow for when they do cancel it, since less people would care by then.

The fact that they are taking developers off the WiiU version to work on other versions speaks volumes. They know that the other versions will make them guaranteed income.

Now I personally believe that they have development issues with the WiiU version. I think they've done the sums and realised that it's simply not worth paying the extra dev time on the WiiU version because they know they won't get a good return on the investment. If that is true then the WiiU version of Watch Dogs is dead.

prag16

Banned
Whelp, preorder cancelled. Eventual steam sale it is (provided it even turns out to be halfway decent). If they do still release it, I'm sure it'll be at full price with low framerate and no DLC months late.

The other day, I predicted MASSIVE schadenfreude if/when this gets cancelled. Looks like I was right, and it didn't even ACTUALLY have to cancel for the celebrations to start.

I wasn't around in the period during which everyone realized the Vita is a failure. Were there so many gleeful people circle jerking over that?

cyberheater

I wasn't around in the period during which everyone realized the Vita is a failure. Were there so many gleeful people circle jerking over that?

The Vita isn't dead just yet.

Pikma

Banned
Promises can be broken
So? That's not what I'm critizicing. It's that people have the assurance that they are always right, not even an official statement is enough to prove them otherwise, they only hear what they want to hear. Like when people were sure Titanfall would come out on PS4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyway, I wonder if the delayed version of watchdogs might be released at a budget price instead? That might drive sales of that version instead of it selling against already discounted versions on the other platforms.

I think that they just didn't decided yet for that. They are under pressure to release the game as fast as possible and make it good. After they finish with this they will take a decision for the Wii U version. It will depend also on the reception of the game, because that's why Alien game was canceled. If it's a success there is nothing stopping them from releasing some definitive edition (because of the Gamepad) or just cancel it if it costs too much.

But to pretend that it is some kind of conspiracy or Ubisoft is afraid of announcing the cancellation it's all kind of crazy.

raschi

Is there a 3rd party that actually deserves success on the Wii U? Apart from indies I can't think of any right now.

Mikey Jr.

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

We made the difficult decision to take resources away from the WiiU version and put that into the other platforms which will reach the most number of players, and also sell the most copies for Ubisoft.

Thats how that sounds to me.

Exile20

Whelp, preorder cancelled. Eventual steam sale it is (provided it even turns out to be halfway decent). If they do still release it, I'm sure it'll be at full price with low framerate and no DLC months late.

The other day, I predicted MASSIVE schadenfreude if/when this gets cancelled. Looks like I was right, and it didn't even ACTUALLY have to cancel for the celebrations to start.

Nope.

For some reason people here wants the Wii U to fail.

They get excited for every thread that even hints at the Wii U's failure and even thread that find something good to say about it, they still find failure in it.

No clue you would want it die or as the poster above said "Some of us like seeing the nails being driven into the coffin."

NHale

So Ubisoft is really setting up the "We did our best shot at making games for the Wii U. We believe in the success of the platform and consider Nintendo as a great business partner. We launched various incredible AAA titles for the Wii U, like Zombie U, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs. Unfortunately those games have underperformed and we had to make the difficult decision of canceling any further development of AAA games for the Wii U for the time being." excuse, aren't they?

What's happening Thursday?
NPD day.
Hilariously/ironically this is now the 2nd consecutive Ubi game that I probably would have bought at launch but will now wait for it to be $5 on Steam. Rayman was obviously the 1st.

The pad is the only feature that would make me buy a multiplatform title on consoles (unless the PS4 version is incredible or something) simply because I have the patience to wait for Steam sales.

Edit: I just realized this isn't true since I am one of the 50 people that bought Blacklist for Wii U. But that also kind of proves my point.

Replicant

Is it even worth developing it for Wii U after it's been released for everything else? I'm not sure it'd worth the money to port the game when most people would bought it for another console or PC. Too much risk for miniscule possible buyers.

Oppo

No, they are just eagerly awaiting its cancellation, so that they have another reason to post 35 "what does Nintendo need to change" threads a day.

No one actually wants Nintendo to die. Or so few that it barely registers. That's not why there are so many threads.

BPoole

Why even bother? Is there anyone out there who owns a Wii U but not a PS3, 360, PC, PS4, or XB1? The Wii U version was already going to be the lowest seller by a large margin, and this just makes it dumb to release it at all.

Exile20

Do a search for December 2013 NPD...
Look at his post history, then decide if you really want have a discussion with him.

Why even bother? Is there anyone out there who owns a Wii U but not a PS3, 360, PC, PS4, or XB1? The Wii U version was already going to be the lowest seller by a large margin, and this just makes it dumb to release it at all.

If they implement great gamepad features, yes I want it on Wii U.

Glass Joe

The fact that they are taking developers off the WiiU version to work on other versions speaks volumes. They know that the other versions will make them guaranteed income.

Now I personally believe that they have development issues with the WiiU version. I think they've done the sums and realised that it's simply not worth paying the extra dev time on the WiiU version because they know they won't get a good return on the investment. If that is true then the WiiU version of Watch Dogs is dead.

They've had development issues with the game in general. That's why it had been severely delayed in the first place. Apparently they're still having problems, and needed to grab the extra hands from the Wii U version to even finish programming the overall game.

Of course the Wii U version isn't going to be a big moneymaker. But the fact that they announced a delay instead of an outright cancellation (which many expected) also speaks volumes. Today was a perfect time to announce it as such, if that were the case. Why do you believe that the Wii U version specifically had development issues, other than you being jaded & profoundly negative towards the Wii U?

Yagharek

I think that they just didn't decided yet for that. They are under pressure to release the game as fast as possible and make it good. After they finish with this they will take a decision for the Wii U version. It will depend also on the reception of the game, because that's why Alien game was canceled. If it's a success there is nothing stopping them from releasing some definitive edition (because of the Gamepad) or just cancel it if it costs too much.

But to pretend that it is some kind of conspiracy or Ubisoft is afraid of announcing the cancellation it's all kind of crazy.

I'm not suggesting any conspiracy (except from EA) and the delay fits in with typical Ubisoft economic schedules. They routinely delay games into future financial quarters, and it obviously makes some apparent sense to focus on other versions before Wii U. They have at least been one of the better supporters of the platform so they get the benefit of the doubt from me.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There's only one shot and that's using the Gamepad as the hacking tool. It could be the perfect implementation. Bring the ZombiU and Splinter Cell implementations into one and you can have the ideal way for playing this kind of game. At list according to the original trailer, as I'm afraid today it's much more a shooter into an Assassin's Creed skin than what was promised at the reveal.

gogogow

Actually I think Watch_Dogs can sell better on the Wii U than other games before it, because WD is a new IP and there isn't a existing fanbase on the other consoles, like with COD and/or AC.
I think it's sad that of all games they decide to cancel the one that has the most potential to perform at least decent on the Wii U install base compared to the other Ubisoft/Activision Wii U games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Holy shit I forgot about this. The double standards in palpable.
I'm not sure i would call it double standard. They're not obligated to anyone to follow a certain release pattern or anything like that. They do these choices based on what they think is the best choice business wise.

Top Bottom