• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 Review Thread - Make Cyber-Love not Cyber-War

I guess I haven't been paying attention to the game much, because I thought the main focus on combat was non-lethal methods. Now reviews are saying the AI becomes hard enough that guns are required.

It's not a dealbreaker overall, but the protagonist doesn't look like the kind of guy who'd shoot up cops and gangs from what cutscenes I've seen.

Which discredits it imo.
"Someone likes a game I didn't. His opinion is invalid"

Them clicks are important. Sigh...
"Someone made the unforgivable mistake of not liking something as much as everyone else. It has to be for clicks"

...People's reactions to reviews are never going to change, huh?

===

Might have to pick this up now. Was trying to decide between Mafia (setting, story, ambitious approach) and this, but I guess I might have to go with WD2 now

//DEVIL//

I m watching the video for the IGN. he keep saying " cool" " neat " " I really like ....." " lots of interesting tools "

then.... early score is 6.5 ? yeah ok lol.

I guess the IGN didn't get the money yet from Ubisoft.

bombshell

"Someone likes a game I didn't. His opinion is invalid"

"Someone made the unforgivable mistake of not liking something as much as everyone else. It has to be for clicks"

...People's reactions to reviews are never going to change, huh?

Wut? My reaction was to the concept of giving a score to a review in progress.

oxidax

I'd give this a 7 and I canceled my preorder. It just falls short. It is a bit better than the first one. The driving sucks ass. Fun at times but gets boring rather quickly. Not interested in the multiplayer.

Moose84

I m watching the video for the IGN. he keep saying " cool" " neat " " I really like ....." " lots of interesting tools "

then.... early score is 6.5 ? yeah ok lol.

I guess the IGN didn't get the money yet from Ubisoft.

He quite clearly said it was because of the broken multiplayer, that it breaks his heart to mark it down for that, and that he hopes he'll be able to increase the score when they fix it.

ZeroX03

Banned
I wonder if switching off the multiplayer will help with performance?

Yes, that's why Ubisoft shut it off. Keeping multiplayer off should resolve the big/permanent frame drops.

We're apparently waiting on that day one patch still to fix these issues.

Auctopus

I don't know if the reviews mentioned it but I'll say this:

The drone camera that Marcus has will dawn a new era for the Console Screenshot thread.

Wow, doing much better than I expected. Will probably pick it up on sale at some point.

People complaining or bemoaning about Watch Dogs 1 getting high reviews need to remember when it came out. It was the first major open world game on this generation of consoles, before GTAV got re-released, and that matters. It's like how Saints Row 1 or Test Drive Unlimited really aren't good games, but they got good reviews for being some of the first open world games on the 360/PS3.

wtf literally not one of those examples are the same reviewer, why do people keep quoting it so much?
People tend to treat sites as singular entities rather than being composed of different writers with different likes/dislikes and opinions

Wut? My reaction was to the concept of giving a score to a review in progress.
Your post might not have been the best choice, admittedly, but was commenting more on the overall sentiment

And let's be honest. People do it all the time. You're playing a game or watching a show or reading a book, and someone asks you how it is, you're going them a "review in progress" based on what you've experienced so far. If anything, offering a opinion on what you've played, and then later the game as a whole, is quite informative, as it can tell one how or if the game improved throughout its duration

Ashtar

I thought this would be an interesting exercise:

Watch_Dogs 2: Polygon: 8/10
Watch_Dogs: Polygon: 8/10Wow, it improved on it's predecessor so much!

Watch_Dogs 2: Gamereactor: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: Gamereactor: 9/10

Watch_Dogs 2: God is a Geek: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: God is a Geek: 9/10

God is a Geek seems to have a thing with fatigue, they should take more naps.
Fitting user name
I thought that would be interesting but even more interested would be to see if it was the same writer

Unknown?

I played it and I wont say how because I can't. I was supposed to test those multiplayer features that are having issues but I played through the story and side quests instead. Wr're testing them again since they were still having problems during the weekend.

I'd give this a 7 and I canceled my preorder. It just falls short. It is a bit better than the first one. The driving sucks ass. Fun at times but gets boring rather quickly. Not interested in the multiplayer.

Would you say the driving is as bad as GTA and not on the levels of Driver?

Damn, the reactions for reviews are always hilarious. Especially for perceived anomalies in terms of ratings. Anyway, that IGN review is stupid –– don't give a score until you've finished the damn review.

Good to see it has reviewed well across the board though –– I didn't mind the first and I'll get this, albeit when it's cheaper.

Ashtar

This thread already has more replies than dishonored 2 review thread, no slight(?sp) on that game but I wonder if that's due to the surprisingly good reviews for wd2, the lack of reviews for d2 or just a general zeit Geist preferring open world crime games to first person assassination

Iceternal

This thread already has more replies than dishonored 2 review thread, no slight(?sp) on that game but I wonder if that's due to the surprisingly good reviews for wd2, the lack of reviews for d2 or just a general zeit Geist preferring open world crime games to first person assassination

Because Dishonored 2, a good sequel to a good game, is actually an unremarkable sequel. Just like Deux Ex MD.

It's just more of the same.

Watch Dogs 2 is much more of a surprise and people are curious to see if they really managed to improve on the first game.

Unlike the ridiculous amount of hateful people in gaming, I set aside the downgrade and played the original for what it was and very much enjoyed it. It had its faults, quite a few of them, but its positives such as the controls, combat, concept, mission structures and stealth worked really well.

My main gripes with it were the story and characters not being that satisfying, (still don't understand the amount of hate for Aiden though), the lack of things to do beyond the story missions, empty co-op and really the downgrade. It had better controls and combat than GTAV but that's about it, everything else was better in GTAV. This time it seems like they are going for a different approach in game design at least. Seems like a more open and third person Deus-Ex.

This seems to fix 2 of the four things though. I won't know about performance and graphics until I try it for myself and not feeling the setting, story or characters this time around. Reviews seem fairly positive though.

Best wishes.

I thought this would be an interesting exercise:

Watch_Dogs 2: Polygon: 8/10
Watch_Dogs: Polygon: 8/10
Wow, it improved on it's predecessor so much!

Watch_Dogs 2: Gamereactor: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: Gamereactor: 9/10

Watch_Dogs 2: God is a Geek: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: God is a Geek: 9/10

God is a Geek seems to have a thing with fatigue, they should take more naps.

Love this post. Thought the review scores looked impressive but this changes my perspective, I had forgotten how much the games media overscored the original.

platocplx

Im in the minority i guess that enjoyed tge first game, first game I ever platinumed actually.

I knew early on this would be reviewed well it seema to address a lot of the issues in the first one and seems to be less dark and more light and fun.

Cant wait to play this one. WD1 Had a lot of good in it with the bad im glad to see they added on top of what made it good.

SomTervo

The real shocker here is that 9 from Jim. I can't even... what?!

He values very specific things in games. Being cohesive, fun-focused and honest to themselves are very important aspects to him. Looks like Watch Dogs 2 massages those nerves.

Because Dishonored 2 still has a lack of reviews due to review copies not being sent out. People have already been playing the game for a while now, so reviews aren't as useful as visiting the OT. Hell, the way that launched, I had no idea as reviews are often used to hype up consumers pre-launch.

Also as the user above stated, people are curious to see if Watch Dogs 2 improved upon its predecessor, which is hated on extensively. Dishonored was already expected to be well received due to Arkane's previous work.

Best wishes.

Par Score

People tend to treat sites as singular entities rather than being composed of different writers with different likes/dislikes and opinions

To be fair, the sites themselves tend to do this to.

It's always "our" review. Not Arthur Geis' review, not Mike Holmes' review. "Our" review. There is a heavy implication and expectation that sites themselves have a singular voice, projected through their many writers.

Fitting user name
I thought that would be interesting but even more interested would be to see if it was the same writer

Jim Sterling gave them both a 9, but amusingly for different sites. That was sort of the impetus for my quick and dirty take.

I'm not sure I understand the sentiment.

In most cases, you would expect scores for older games to go down over time were they reviewed today due to changing standards.

That was just me snarking a little on the specific wording used there, I totally accept the natural depreciation of review scores in such a fast moving medium.

Still think it's funny though.

Falchion

Looking good! Going to have to dig into some of these reviews to see if Ubisoft addressed the issues I had with the first one but I'll be definitely getting this.

I had a feeling this would be a major improvement on the lacklustre 1st.Shall wait for PC impressions though,hopefully it's a decent port

Top Bottom