• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 Review Thread - Make Cyber-Love not Cyber-War

sjsteuck

Neo Member
Seeing that the game is getting glowing reviews, I'm going to preorder. I can't decide if I should get the PS4 or Xbox One version. I have both the Pro and S models. Does the S version have HDR? I can't seem to find that information anywhere. Given if all things are fairly equal, I'd get the S version, simply because that machine has a lot more storage. But if there are some really good Pro upgrades, I'd get that. Opinions?

It's because you shouldn't assign a score to a game when the review isn't complete. It's okay for me to say to a friend "this game feels like a 9/10!" after playing a few hours, but it's absolutely not cool for a professional outlet to throw out a bullshit score which can affect sales and average rankings on an incomplete piece of work.
Most TV reviews will intitally review the pilot or first few episodes, offering an impression of the show up to that point, if it shows promise, how it could improve, where things seem to be going. They also tend to do a full season review when the season finishes.

How is it a bullshit score? They clearly label it as a review in progress and not their final score. It would be bullshit if they were using those early impressions to judge the entire game. Ideally people have the reading comprehension and acumen to make the distinction between review-in-progress and review

Lucifon

Seeing that the game is getting glowing reviews, I'm going to preorder. I can't decide if I should get the PS4 or Xbox One version. I have both the Pro and S models. Does the S version have HDR? I can't seem to find that information anywhere. Given if all things are fairly equal, I'd get the S version, simply because that machine has a lot more storage. But if there are some really good Pro upgrades, I'd get that. Opinions?

Game looks great on the Pro. I went with the Pro over my S simply because combined with a 4k TV the game looks glorious. Being an open world game I'd say the extra power and visual fidelity will help. But obviously it's just down to which system you'd prefer to play it on / have friends on. Game doesn't have HDR though no.

Most TV reviews will intitally review the pilot or first few episodes, offering an impression of the show up to that point, if it shows promise, how it could improve, where things seem to be going. They also tend to do a full season review when the season finishes.

How is it a bullshit score? They clearly label it as a review in progress and not their final score. It would be bullshit if they were using those early impressions to judge the entire game.

Nobody reviews an entire season of a show based on a few episodes though, they review the episodes individually. This is like reviewing the entire game with that score despite the review being incomplete. And many will read that score and think that's what IGN gave the game, then move on with their lives. Most people don't wait around revisiting reviews to see their final thoughts. Not to mention a lot of people just skip to the score then they're done with a review. I have no problem with in progress reviews that get a score once they're complete, but scoring games whilst the review is incomplete is trashy practice and seems purely driven by clicks.

I tried pre-ordering on PSN website w Paypal and it gave me an error. Will do so on my console later. The positive reviews & GAF impressions, plus the YT vids showing improved & fun driving, sold me. I'm actually really happy it ended up being a good game, as the game world looks gorgeous but I didn't want to feel like I was slogging through it. Excited.

sjsteuck

Neo Member
Game looks great on the Pro. I went with the Pro over my S simply because combined with a 4k TV the game looks glorious. Being an open world game I'd say the extra power and visual fidelity will help. But obviously it's just down to which system you'd prefer to play it on / have friends on. Game doesn't have HDR though no.

Good points. Thank you. Without HDR support on the Pro, I'll probably go with the S, though. Mainly because of the storage issue. You got to love external hard drives.

Unknown?

How is it any question? It'll look better on the Pro(heck even on a base PS4). Pro will have decent upgrades and I believe HDR but I haven't been able to verify that. I remember Sony showing it off at their conference though.

Phionoxx

Here is to hoping the PC version performs well at launch from a technical standpoint and that the multiplayer issues have been ironed out. Will probably jump on this once it goes on sale or if I can find it for a reduced price.

How is it a bullshit score? They clearly label it as a review in progress and not their final score. It would be bullshit if they were using those early impressions to judge the entire game.

TV shows are designed to be viewed by episode and a pilot is expected to grab the interest of the viewer.

That's not how games are usually made.

Lucifon

Good points. Thank you. Without HDR support on the Pro, I'll probably go with the S, though. Mainly because of the storage issue. You got to love external hard drives.

Just to clarify I don't believe the game has HDR on either platform. Hope you enjoy the game :D

Yep. Thats exactly how I hope my reviews will work. I come to MY result but explain all the things that got me there hoping folks might go other ways if they can ignore some of it or like some things I don't.

I just stumbled upon your review on YouTube and found it really good. You did an excellent job explaining how the game works and highlighting some interesting points that are missing from other reviews.

And many will read that score and think that's what IGN gave the game, then move on with their lives. Most people don't wait around revisiting reviews to see their final thoughts. Not to mention a lot of people just skip to the score then they're done with a review. I have no problem with in progress reviews that get a score once they're complete, but scoring games whilst the review is incomplete is trashy practice and seems purely driven by clicks.
That's on the reader, not the site. They clearly label the article, explain it in the opening paragraph, and haven't included a review score for the game yet in their list of reviews. Metacritic even places the IGN review in the in-progress/unscored section and doesnt count the 6.5 in its aggregate for the obvious reasons.

Any confusion is completely on the reader

PK Gaming

Nice!

Don't usually care about review scores, but I really wanted this game to succeed. It's way, way, way better than WD1.

I think this quote from Jim Sterling does a good job of immediately selling why that is

Marcus is the first clue that Watch Dogs 2 will be an entertaining romp. He’s not a generic Ubisoft protagonist avenging yet another dead family member, he’s positioned as a strong part of hacker culture with the ability to crack a smile.

He’s a pop culture nerd, a cocky asshole, and an overly idealistic hacktivist. In short, he’s the exact kind of protagonist Watch Dogs needed from the start.

Watch Dogs 2‘s narrative is similarly more enthralling than the original’s, throwing in some light social commentary about such things as “big brother” culture, gentrification, and the importance of information.

BillyJack

Banned
My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk Rated it a Wait for Sale

Tested on PS4, PS4pro, Xbox and XboxS just in case:)

"Not bad at all but with some issues performance wise and also the rote gameplay I don't feel the need to ever return."

Pros
Interesting world
music
Sound
Driving(also as con...ya its odd)

Cons
Rote to the extreme
Story is all over the place
Gameplay bland
Driving(Also a pro...ya its weird)
Multi all over the place(though when it worked it was good fun)

Ha I was waiting for your review Karak definitely sitting this one out.

Aters

IGN has something against Ubisoft games? They gave The Division a very low score. It scares me because it turns out IGN and I have similar taste.

Some Nobody

Was always going to get this. I think the people scoring WD1 so highly are mistaken though--I eventually loved it, but there were aspects to it that were just awful and as a result I thought it was a 7 at best.

But those issues seem corrected here so a 9 is believable. Hope the music's better this time.

Is there any info about the PS4 Pro improvements or any comparisons of PS4 and Pro? I remember the game looking absolutely stunning when they showed a trailer at the Pro event a couple of months back. Back then I doubted it would look that pretty in reality.
Ah, found the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmyiubIplo

that trailer is typical ubisoft fake footage. gamersyde has a bunch of ps4pro videos and the IQ and lod is much worse than in that fake ass trailer

Ubisoft games are very expensive at launch here in Brazil.

I'll have to wait one or two weeks to grab my copy 50% cheaper

Sadly in two weeks I'll be playing Final Fantasy XV. Hopefully in 4K if I find a good deal on a Samsung KU6300

My biggest fears are around game feel. It doesn't look enjoyable to move Marcus around. I could be totally wrong though, but I want to read more impressions on how movement and car handling feels before I jump in.

Tyaren

Okay, checked out the Gamersyde Pro videos and it does look pretty good but not anywhere near the trailer that they showed.
Does the game just have the 4K checkerboard mode or also a 1080p enhanced visuals mode?

Lucifon

Okay, checked out the Gamersyde Pro videos and it does look pretty good but not anywhere near the trailer that they showed.
Does the game just have the 4K checkerboard mode or also a 1080p enhanced visuals mode?
Just has one mode, you don't get a choice. I'm guessing it's checker board but can't say for sure. Need DF to take a look.

Is there any info about the PS4 Pro improvements or any comparisons of PS4 and Pro? I remember the game looking absolutely stunning when they showed a trailer at the Pro event a couple of months back. Back then I doubted it would look that pretty in reality.
Ah, found the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbmyiubIplo

It is not going to look like that on anything I think. That looks like a tech demo.

On the other hand, it still looks good on Pro going by the Gamersyde footage. It looks much better than the first game at least.

Gxgear

A 9 from Sterling and 6.5 from IGN, 2016 strikes again. And you know Jim would not have held back on a Ubisoft sequel if it deserved it.

I know Ubisoft's eye must be twitching from that Ign review. They are like the biggest outlet and they pooed on the game and didn't even finish the review.

catspit

How is it a bullshit score? They clearly label it as a review in progress and not their final score. It would be bullshit if they were using those early impressions to judge the entire game. Ideally people have the reading comprehension and acumen to make the distinction between review-in-progress and review

I understand what you are saying... but why even tack on a score at the end.. why not just say to keep tuned in or check back soon for a score... like most other reviews in progress

J_Viper

My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk Rated it a Wait for Sale

"Not bad at all but with some issues performance wise and also the rote gameplay I don't feel the need to ever return."

Pros
Interesting world
music
Sound

Cons
Rote to the extreme
Gameplay bland

Best reviews on YouTube, bar none

Tovarisc

Pros
Interesting world
music
Sound

Cons
Rote to the extreme
Gameplay bland

Your review basically confirmed every impression I had from trailers and early gameplay footage. Makes me just wonder how this game landed all those 9s, I expected 7 to 8 range. Depending on how PC port is may pick up from sale.

zkorejo

Your review basically confirmed every impression I had from trailers and early gameplay footage. Makes me just wonder how this game landed all those 9s, I expected 7 to 8 range. Depending on how PC port is may pick up from sale.

This is exactly what I have been thinking. I'm really surprised to see so many 9/10 reviews. Looks like a 7-8/10 game.

Every review states:

1. Story is forgettable
2. World is dead
3. Driving is bad. Improvement from WD1 but still bad.

And those are like 3 core pillars of an open-world game for me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Knowing that the story is forgettable means I'll definitely wait to see what the price is during Boxing Week. Nice to see it scoring well though.

Top Bottom