• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs 2 Review Thread - Make Cyber-Love not Cyber-War

sjay1994

I thought this would be an interesting exercise:

Watch_Dogs 2: Polygon: 8/10
Watch_Dogs: Polygon: 8/10
Wow, it improved on it's predecessor so much!

Watch_Dogs 2: Gamereactor: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: Gamereactor: 9/10

Watch_Dogs 2: God is a Geek: 9/10
Watch_Dogs: God is a Geek: 9/10

God is a Geek seems to have a thing with fatigue, they should take more naps.

The reviews for watch dogs 1 and 2 for all those sites are written by different people, not to mention reviewer critiques have gotten more harsher over the last 2 years. There might only be 2 games this year (Uncharted and Inside) with over 90 metacritics this year. But sure, lets all just say these reviews are a joke.

Lime

That's not the only place where Watch Dogs 2's tone falters. Many of the missions Marcus takes on are more problematic than the game cares to note. In one, you hack into a teenage girl's webcam to scare her, to "teach her a lesson" that she shouldn't stream herself online over a webcam.

DedSec's gross, victim-blaming reasoning: Running your webcam is insecure, and someone might stalk her.

In another uncomfortable series of side missions, you hack ATMs and decide whether each random civilian trying to use the ATM deserves to receive a bunch of money or get an arrest warrant and all their money taken away. You make these choices based off tiny snippets of information and a few seconds of dialogue.

ugh -___-

And you have to choose between shooting and hacking. Jim chose hacking!

They put them on the same button? Weird, but I didn't feel like the game needed the ability to shoot and drive anyway. The big problem with the first game was that you couldn't do crap when chasing someone except wait for them to driver over a steam pipe but you really just needed more ways to hack to fix that. Seems like in Watch Dogs 2 it'd be better to hack other people's cars to crash and then get out and drill them with bullets.

The reviews for watch dogs 1 and 2 for all those sites are written by different people, not to mention reviewer critiques have gotten more harsher over the last 2 years. There might only be 2 games this year (Uncharted and Inside) with over 90 metacritics this year. But sure, lets all just say these reviews are a joke.

Now subtract 1 point from the hype that had WD1, and it makes much more sense!

M.W.

Haven't read these reviews yet as I don't want to spoil anything but has there been any mention of length?

leng jai

So did they retain the gunplay from the first game? That was the best aspect of it and probably the best shooting mechanics in any open world game.

8bit

Knows the Score
Couldn't see past the first one's iconic hat and horribleness, so hoping for something good this time around.

Plumpman

First one had the GOAT "hands in coat pockets slow walk animation".
Do we have anything like that from Marcus? That's all I want.

BFIB

My review for ACG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZSDkbjUhk Rated it a Wait for Sale

Tested on PS4, PS4pro, Xbox and XboxS just in case:)

"Not bad at all but with some issues performance wise and also the rote gameplay I don't feel the need to ever return."

Pros
Interesting world
music
Sound
Driving(also as con...ya its odd)

Cons
Rote to the extreme
Story is all over the place
Gameplay bland
Driving(Also a pro...ya its weird)
Multi all over the place(though when it worked it was good fun)
Great review.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Wow this really isn't going to hit 90 on Metacritic is it? Another AAA flop.

Wait, if it drops 7 more points (which could happen), it'll be below the original game's MC score...

IkLRftY.gif

juventino

Banned
Bit the bullet and just bought the game. Its christmas time and i have money to blow so whatever. Will be gaming on this tonight

sdornan

Wait, if it drops 7 more points (which could happen), it'll be below the original game's MC score...

IkLRftY.gif
Below a 90 isn't a flop, and it's not going to drop 7 points with this many reviews in. I feel like you have an agenda.

Karak

First one had the GOAT "hands in coat pockets slow walk animation".
Do we have anything like that from Marcus? That's all I want.

We have him putting his earcandys in and taking them out every 4 seconds like Riddick taking off and putting his sunglasses on in the Pitch Black movies.

I finally decided to preorder. Put in the code BestBuy sent me...

"The Prepaid Card code you entered is incorrect or is no longer valid."

Because of course it's incorrect or no longer valid.

Ibuki

Banned
I finally decided to preorder. Put in the code BestBuy sent me...

"The Prepaid Card code you entered is incorrect or is no longer valid."

Because of course it's incorrect or no longer valid.

This shouldn't be the case for pre-orders, but the code won't go live until the PSN updates.

Ashtar

IkLRftY.gif
Ubi has got to be stopped!

If anything the score is likely to go up once ign increases the score to 8.5 friend

Vic_Viper

Good to hear. Watched Jim's review and he didn't shoot out of his car once, had me worried.

Have a link to his video review? Or any other good Streams/video reviews?

edit: Heres JimSterlings impressions video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhf9n_9YFws

Might Redbox this tomorrow just to see how I like it since I liked the first but not as much as I would have liked and not so sure I want another open world game atm unless the story is really good.

soultron

Banned
How long did you play the game for Karak? Did you stop at the b
urning man
mission? I'm curious and for transparency's sake I'll say that I worked on the game.

Moldiver

When did IGN start putting a score to their reviews in process? Putting the 6.5 out seems like it's there to drive clicks which hey it's a business but I don't remember them having a score.

I think IW had one recently but can't remember what that was.

This game actually has me interested — unlike the first. Nice to see the positive reviews. So does this one take on a much more humorous tone like the Saints Row games?

IkLRftY.gif

Hey remember that time you said...

Wow! Color Splash only needs 1 more point to hit 80 on Metacritic! Can't wait to pick this up tomorrow. Quality wins as usual.

Remember when the Star Fox Zero fans were trying to downplay Color Splash saying it looks like trash to make themselves feel better about how terrible Star Fox Zero turned out (it's in the 60s on Metacritic lol) and they laughed when I said Color Splash would turn out to be one of the best games on the Wii U?
M4oe5vt.gif

So what will it be? Under 90 = AAA flop, or almost 80 = quality wins?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This game actually has me interested — unlike the first. Nice to see the positive reviews. So does this one take on a much more humorous tone like the Saints Row games?
More like GTA than Saints Row as in it's more about satire and holding a mirror up to society than just plain over the top wackiness.

IkLRftY.gif

Hoping this is a joke, otherwise it's the dumbest anti-Ubi post i've seen in a long time.
You'd think game enthousiasts just want good games.

Ennosuke

This is exactly what I have been thinking. I'm really surprised to see so many 9/10 reviews. Looks like a 7-8/10 game.

Every review states:

1. Story is forgettable
2. World is dead
3. Driving is bad. Improvement from WD1 but still bad.

And those are like 3 core pillars of an open-world game for me.

Does not make sense how you can give it a 9/10, when you identify those issues in a game.

Does not make sense how you can give it a 9/10, when you identify those issues in a game.

GTA V has a bad story, extremely scripted missions, and terrible on-foot movement and shooting mechanics but still managed to get 9/10 scores across the map. These open-world games are a sum of their parts and a few bad mechanics aren't enough to bring them down.

sjay1994

Maybe, just maybe. I know this could be mind blowing for you, but maybe some people just liked the game.

Crazy right?

I mean, the highest rated game from the last generation also had a bad story, bad driving, but its world was detailed I guess, but thats my opinion. Didn't stop 100's of critics awarding it 9-10's.

I really fucking hate GTAV.

Shock32

I liked the first game but held off for reviews on this one. But between the twitch streams and now the reviews i'm pretty excited for this game. It looks great even on twitch and can't wait to see it on the Pro in person.

Anybody think this will have some kind of black Friday deal or is it still to new?

Top Bottom