• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs PC performance thread [Read post #1215 before posting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Not gonna lie, that's exactly my case. I've had the game paid off on Steam since the 13 May and as I said before there still no preload so yeah I took it upon myself to get it by other means.
Not excluding the fact that UBI support hasn't done a single damn thing to give my Uplay account another email address (which means I have to crack them even though I own them) So yeah not bragging about it but don't see how I should feel ashamed of myself either considering I always pay for my games, even prior to owning them.

I have close to 200 Steam games and already have this game in my library but if that makes a pirate so be it :/
Anyways, sent PM to mod with proof of purchase.

i9kg98PnRc0Vu.gif

bozzie

Neo Member
Currently on my Macbook, but hopefully this will be evidence enough of my purchase.

Anyways, after about 15 hours I've finished the main campaign (and done zero online or side missions), so that will give you an idea of average longevity (not the 30 hours purported by Morin before release). Story is pretty generic but fun enough (maybe not for the full $60/£45). Past this, take things with a pinch of pre-day-1-patch salt.

My PC's specs:
i5-4670k overclocked to 4GHz
16GB 1600MHz RAM
NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB

Graphics: The game certainly has its moments, mainly in the cutscenes - soft shadows, good AA, IQ, etc. etc. As has been said many a time, the game's best moments are during the nighttime and raining. As much as it's beating a dead horse, daytime really doesn't make the game shine, and it feels very....last gen. It's here that the PS3/360 cancer spreads through.

Pop-in is terrible. Seriously, terrible. The main offender is traffic, where Ubisoft have some standard "headlights" animation in the background, and 2 or 3 cars popping in about 30 metres away from your location. It without a doubt breaks the immersion.

Performance: When it's behaving, on my rig the game averages a very playable 40-50 FPS, going higher when looking at the sky or in low population areas, lower when driving into parts of Chicago you haven't visited in a while and more intense firefights. I've set everything on max apart from textures which are on High. High textures recommend 2GB of VRAM (Ultra recommend 3GB), but it's safe to say until Ubisoft patch in some performance, you'll need much more.

I think we can say Ubisoft have fucked up again* with some sort of memory leak, because if you play for too long, gameplay stutters down to 5fps every 20 seconds, making the game unplayable. Turning textures down to Medium sometimes fixed the issue, but you really shouldn't have to do that with a 4th Gen Intel CPU and the 3rd best gaming GPU NVIDIA released last year.

seriously, Battlefield 4 is one of the buggiest pieces of shit out there, but on that game I get a flawless 60fps on Ultra. This era of dissapointing PC ports needs to stop.

Gaz_RB

Currently on my Macbook, but hopefully this will be evidence enough of my purchase.

Anyways, after about 15 hours I've finished the main campaign (and done zero online or side missions), so that will give you an idea of average longevity (not the 30 hours purported by Morin before release). Story is pretty generic but fun enough (maybe not for the full $60/£45). Past this, take things with a pinch of pre-day-1-patch salt.

My PC's specs:
16GB 1600MHz RAM
NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB

Graphics: The game certainly has its moments, mainly in the cutscenes - soft shadows, good AA, IQ, etc. etc. As has been said many a time, the game's best moments are during the nighttime and raining. As much as it's beating a dead horse, daytime really doesn't make the game shine, and it feels very....last gen. It's here that the PS3/360 cancer spreads through.

Pop-in is terrible. Seriously, terrible. The main offender is traffic, where Ubisoft have some standard "headlights" animation in the background, and 2 or 3 cars popping in about 30 metres away from your location. It without a doubt breaks the immersion.

Performance: When it's behaving, on my rig the game averages a very playable 40-50 FPS, going higher when looking at the sky or in low population areas, lower when driving into parts of Chicago you haven't visited in a while and more intense firefights. I've set everything on max apart from textures which are on High. High textures recommend 2GB of VRAM (Ultra recommend 3GB), but it's safe to say until Ubisoft patch in some performance, you'll need much more.

I think we can say Ubisoft have fucked up again* with some sort of memory leak, because if you play for too long, gameplay stutters down to 5fps every 20 seconds, making the game unplayable. Turning textures down to Medium sometimes fixed the issue, but you really shouldn't have to do that with a 4th Gen Intel CPU and the 3rd best gaming GPU NVIDIA released last year.

seriously, Battlefield 4 is one of the buggiest pieces of shit out there, but on that game I get a flawless 60fps on Ultra. This era of dissapointing PC ports needs to stop.

Wait I thought the origin version wasn't unlocked?

its-a-trap.jpg

Noisivne

Banned

My PC's specs:
16GB 1600MHz RAM
NVIDIA GTX 770 2GB

You're screwed bro.

cripterion

You just admitted to pirating it. The fact you pre-ordered doesn't excuse that. Surely that's not what you thought?

Yes, and I've explained myself with a mod exactly on why it is the case. As I said, feel free to continue the witch hunt, I feel some of you are being a bit hypocrite..
At the end of the day I still paid my game 49.99 euros. Others use Origin loophole, to get it cheaper, does it make any less moral?

PS : Also you didn't see me bragging on how I was playing the game early here, I just posted to inform someone that was wondering if it would run on his rig and about new nvidia drivers.

I've read in other threads that you can. Ubisoft will let you play as soon as you get your UPlay key.

Ubi client so weird. I've already preordered and put in the key but here is what I see

Information on your game
Thank you for pre-ordering WATCH DOGS. Your product will appear in the "GAMES" section of your Uplay PC client when it releases on May 27, 2014. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the product is released, and you will then be able to download and install it through the Uplay PC client.
To install the Uplay PC client, please use the following link.

this should be standard practice for all PC games at this point. Shit is infuriating when we so many of use preorder legitimately on Origin/Steam/Uplay and are stuck waiting for a preload... yet every one and their mother is "getting the game early".

You should raise that point with Ubisoft and other publishers/developers. It is ridiculous that paying customers are worse off than those who pirate the game.

The negative early impressions do prove one thing: piracy does reduce game sales after all.

It is likely that a similar thing would have happened if reviews weren't embargoed until release day.

I feel someone with photo-fu should enhance this image to better reflect the current situation

http://abload.de/img/watch_dogs_20140523_12fulz.png[/IMG

image source: [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113314957&postcount=5121[/url][/QUOTE]

Like this?
[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3715/14268666022_d126d9471d_h.jpg

Not to promote bad behavior but the account suicide on the last page is one of the biggest laughs I've had on gaf.

Looking forward to Monday night, hopefully Uplay actually unlocks the game at midnight unlike Blacklist >_>

Nydius

Good and thank you!

I'm tired of freaking pirates or people who claim they're just "testing" things by downloading torrents.

As I said in another thread earlier, when devs start offering demos on PC again, I'll stop using torrents as demos. I'm not going to blow $60+ on a product without being able to play a single second of of it, especially when said product is redeemed I lose any chance of a refund (with exception to Origin), resale, or exchange. If you think this has reduced the frequency with which I've bought games, you'd be extremely wrong. I've bought more games in the last year on PC than I did for the 3 years prior on consoles, and not just because of Steam sales.

As for the recent turn in this thread, I think it's pretty silly. Outside of multiplayer, people are able to play the base game and offer opinions on performance. Requiring proof of ownership to comment is a ridiculous added barrier and all it does is promote people trying to provide "fake" proof. Since the street date of the console version is in 2 days and since the PS3 and X360 versions are available through the same shady methods, is there going to be a moratorium on anyone discussing those versions? Will people start requiring proven purchaser status to discuss gameplay issues in future OT threads? At what point is the line drawn? This discussion jumped down a silly rabbit hole.

As for Watch_Dogs, I have a physical copy coming (FedEx Tracking number in my inbox as I type) from Best Buy because I blew all my lingering Reward Zone points and I already pre-purchased the Season Pass. Part of this was due to being able to play a couple hours of the game to gauge how it performed. If people don't like that, tough. I don't care for excuses from devs: If PC gamers are going to be expected to pay the same day 1 retail price as console gamers with no resale function or digital exchange/refund policies, there damn well better be a demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom