• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are a dying breed, how do we adapt?

Should NeoGAF change and adapt to bring in more Zommers?

• Yes, it is important to bring in new young blood to keep GAF growing.

• No, let GAF be a forum focused on bommers.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Success

Zommers hardly care for consoles compared to millennials and Gen X'ers.

The Alpha Gen is looking like they will care even less.

Discord has taken over gaming discourse.

There are only two main gaming classical forums, NeoGAF and ResetEra. And both forums are very divided and have an aging demographic.

Serious question, how do we on NeoGAF adapt to these changes to bring in some new blood in the forum?

What current unpopular changes do we need to do in the short term to bring in new blood in the long term?

GrayChild

Apart from state-mandated forum posting quota? Not much.

I don't think gaming forums will disappear, so there's no need to worry too much. They will however become more and more niche. It's not even about age or generations. Many of the millenials and genX-ers I know eventually jumped ship to platforms like Discord.

Little Mac

boom smile GIF

Buggy Loop

It's like a huge, persistent, chat room like mirc back in the day.

Forums are a dying breed. We're probably the last generation who uses forums.

I never understood the phenomena of discord. The chat goes too fast in popular places, there’s no traceability of a discussion possible. It’s like intertwining all our first page posts but at any time they happen and without the topic.

It’s messy

LordCBH

I never understood the phenomena of discord. The chat goes too fast in popular places, there’s no traceability of a discussion possible. It’s like intertwining all our first page posts but at any time they happen and without the topic.

It’s messy

Discords great for dedicated small groups, like my pathfinder group or my D2 clan. But large groups on it are fuckin nauseating.

Gaming discourse as we know and prefer it will mostly die with us, just as the habits and preferences of previous generations have generally died with them. It is the way of things, I'm afraid.

Serious question, how do we on NeoGAF adapt to these changes to bring in some new blood in the forum?
The forum looks 2000s in appearance. I think some sort of visual overhaul would probably help in regard to this question. Maybe an official app too.
What current unpopular changes do we need to do in the short term to bring in new blood in the long term?
Push politics and race talks back out of the gaming section. This includes whenever a random developer or PR person complains about either topic(then it's posted here), and whenever someone brings up that a certain company may have helped consult on a game. It would all be better off gone so that we can go back to discussing gaming for gaming's sake.

This will force certain OPs to find other topics to clickbait with and will cause posters to find better topics to converse about, because as of now there are literally games that people can't really post topics about without a very vocal side of this forum taking a giant dump on every thread to vent about one company or 'movement'. It makes things feel pointless when you just want to discuss a game without the added political/drama baggage.

It's a slippery slope too because as of now, too many people are giving way too many out of left field posts because they keep testing the waters(and testing the mods and their conviction about not being the purple site) to see what they can get away with in terms of extreme edgy-posting. I've said it before but I don't see this place at it's best by just settling into the extreme opposite viewpoints of another site like some sort of checklist to prove 'we aren't those guys'. There are already more rule-free sites out there that do this and do it well, and I think a reasonable middle ground could be reached here so that we don't just become a lite version those sites with added avatars.

Caffeine

Ok, wtf does poggers mean? Any that says that word shouldn’t be allowed to join imo.
wasnt poggers a derivative of pogchamp used on twitch where the asian guy is doing the o face as in whut thats hype as fuck.
its been replicated in many emotes even on steam and discord.

kisspng-pogchamp-portable-network-graphics-clip-art-forsen-artifact-the-new-valve-game-seite-7-videospi-5cff8775b30154.1495440815602502297332.jpg

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Honestly I thought this was a site focusing on video games, not generations of people. Kind of confused by the poll.

Hunnybun

This is like asking what the local mah-jong club needs to do to bring in fresh blood.

We're old and we therefore like other old people. The old blood is a feature, not a bug.

It could be a problem for the forum owners, but I'm guessing they're old, too. And therefore will be dead by the time the problem is a major one.

Hunnybun

It’s messy

To me, discord is like Pinterest and Reddit. I know it exists and I know it's popular, but I have no fucking idea why, and no interest in learning. I had to go on it once to order some dodgy football streams, and it seemed both hard to use and pointless. So I moved on and never went back.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just bring in AI bots. Pretty sure some are already here.

And ChatGPT usually have more thoughful and unbiased takes than most of us here.

ChatGPT on if you should buy Xbox or PS:
  1. Exclusive Games: Both consoles have their own exclusive titles. PlayStation has franchises like God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Spider-Man, while Xbox has Halo, Forza, and Gears of War. Check out which exclusive titles appeal to you more.
  2. Performance: Both consoles offer impressive performance, but there might be slight differences in graphical fidelity and performance in multi-platform games. Check out benchmarks and comparisons if performance is a priority for you.
  3. Controller Preference: Try out the controllers for both consoles to see which one feels more comfortable for you. Some people prefer the DualSense controller for its adaptive triggers and haptic feedback, while others prefer the Xbox Series X controller for its ergonomic design.
  4. Online Services: Consider the online services offered by each platform, such as PlayStation Network and Xbox Live. Look into features like online multiplayer, free games with subscription services (PS Plus and Xbox Game Pass), and additional perks.
  5. Backward Compatibility: Both consoles offer backward compatibility to varying degrees. PlayStation 5 supports most PlayStation 4 games, while Xbox Series X supports games from four generations of Xbox consoles. If you have a library of older games, this might sway your decision.
  6. Ecosystem: Consider which ecosystem you're already invested in. If you have friends playing on one platform or if you already own digital games on either PlayStation or Xbox, it might make sense to stick with the same ecosystem to carry over your progress and purchases.
Ultimately, it's a personal choice based on your gaming preferences, budget, and existing gaming setup. Consider all these factors before making your decision.

Consoles vs PC:
  1. Ease of Use: Consoles are generally easier to set up and use, with a streamlined interface and no need for hardware upgrades. PCs can require more technical knowledge for setup and maintenance.
  2. Performance: High-end gaming PCs typically offer better performance in terms of graphics, frame rates, and customization options compared to consoles. PCs can also support higher resolutions and refresh rates, providing a more immersive gaming experience.
  3. Game Library: Consoles often have exclusive titles not available on PC, while PCs have a vast library of games, including indie titles, mods, and emulators.
  4. Input Options: Consoles typically come with controllers, while PCs offer the flexibility of using controllers, keyboards, and mice. Some gamers prefer the precision of a mouse and keyboard for certain game genres like first-person shooters.
  5. Multiplayer Experience: Both consoles and PCs offer online multiplayer gaming, but the experience can vary based on the platform, community, and online service.
  6. Cost: Consoles generally have a lower upfront cost compared to high-end gaming PCs. However, PC gaming can offer better value over time due to sales, cheaper game prices, and the ability to upgrade individual components.
Ultimately, the best choice depends on your preferences, budget, and gaming priorities. Some gamers prefer the simplicity and convenience of consoles, while others prioritize performance and customization options offered by PCs.

🤖🤖🤖🤖🤖🤖🤖🤖

Laptop1991

Well you can't stop aging, i wish i could lol, as for bringing in the younger generation, i really don't know, i'm not them anymore and have a different gaming history, i prefer forum;s and don't like Discord, i didn't follow Bethesda or Ubisoft to it from their forum's they shut down, better games to talk about might work, but that doesn't seem to be happening for a while yet lol.

Top Bottom