• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are a dying breed, how do we adapt?

Should NeoGAF change and adapt to bring in more Zommers?

• Yes, it is important to bring in new young blood to keep GAF growing.

• No, let GAF be a forum focused on bommers.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Success

Great question!

I was just talking about this in an undergraduate business course the other day. My classes have from 75-95 students (4 sections), most of them 18-20 years old. There are probably 10 people in each section who like the high quality console games that we enjoy talking about on here. While nearly every other kid in the class has some interest in video games, or at least some knowledge and experience with them, they don't have particularly positive views on mainstream console gaming, especially when discussing topics like the time commitment (some call it "addiction") necessary to play console multiplayer games, $70 games, and the challenge of having to deal with toxic players in multiplayer games. While we certainly are not to blame for these issues, I know myself that I have a much greater tolerance for these negative aspects of console gaming because I have such a long history with the hobby.

Unfortunately, we didn't come up with any really promising solutions to this, other than to illustrate the point of the discussion, which is that video games are an excellent example of how a technological artifact fits the needs and interests of various segments of users (console gamers, casual players who only play occasionally on their phones, people who simply like to watch others play on Twitch, etc.) and/or that individually, we each have specific tastes and interests for the technology that will influence how we engage with future technology.

Excellent response.

Allowing any type of email when creating an account is what made me join,

Now Gaf just needs the journalists back, they all moved to REset

Wow, I just noticed that you are super young Draugoth. This explains how you have all of the youthful energy to keep posting these threads.

What made you want to join a forum with mostly old people?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The average young person is never going to care about old fashioned forums. It's an incredibly archaic way of communicating online, we're just used to it because we grew with it. I still spend more time in Discords because that's just an evolution of IRC.

It's nice in a way, it means that here you're probably engaging with somebody over 30 all the time, so they've probably seen some shit.

Draugoth

Gold Member
What made you want to join a forum with mostly old people?

I mean to be fair, internet forums still exist, they just evolved (X, Reddit are basically are basically discussing forums). I just happen to participate a lot in now defunc game forums that used to work like Gaf when they were more populaar.

Wow, I just noticed that you are super young Draugoth. This explains how you have all of the youthful energy to keep posting these threads.

That's the secret: I'm always tired

(Insier Hulk meme here)

Success

I mean to be fair, internet forums still exist, they just evolved (X, Reddit are basically are basically discussing forums). I just happen to participate a lot in now defunc game forums that used to work like Gaf when they were more populaar.

That's the secret: I'm always tired

(Insier Hulk meme here)

This shows my point, all of the other old 30+ NeoGAF members don't bother posting as much quality like you because for them it lacks the novelty compared to their youthful posting days.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If that day ever comes then I pray all the Japanese game developers decide to use Kickstarter. That way I can contribute directly to their creations.

Last edited:

Success

If you live in the US please get out there and do something about this because I’m really worried

What did the tweet say?

EDIT: Working for me now, it says:

"
Physical software accounted for approximately 10% of all US video game content spending in 2019 (across Console, Portable, PC, Cloud, Non-Console VR, Subscription and Mobile). In 2023 this percentage fell to under 5%. Source: Circana Games Market Dynamics
5:28 PM · Apr 9, 2024
https://twitter.com/intent/like?ref...con^s1_&ref_url=&tweet_id=1777735255010811982
"

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Never fear Nintendo is here.
imagine GIF

Oh wait how to get new users onto GAF

Errrr I dunno. I think sooner or later they will come.

Last edited:

kikkis

I think this will get steady drip back from resetera, the more it's users get banned and put onto anti-psychotics.

Top Bottom