• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are a dying breed, how do we adapt?

Should NeoGAF change and adapt to bring in more Zommers?

• Yes, it is important to bring in new young blood to keep GAF growing.

• No, let GAF be a forum focused on bommers.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deerock71

Why fight it?

4XBRhnS.jpg
Somebody needs to animate Thanos flossing.

Success

The forum looks 2000s in appearance. I think some sort of visual overhaul would probably help in regard to this question. Maybe an official app too.

Push politics and race talks back out of the gaming section. This includes whenever a random developer or PR person complains about either topic(then it's posted here), and whenever someone brings up that a certain company may have helped consult on a game. It would all be better off gone so that we can go back to discussing gaming for gaming's sake.

This will force certain OPs to find other topics to clickbait with and will cause posters to find better topics to converse about, because as of now there are literally games that people can't really post topics about without a very vocal side of this forum taking a giant dump on every thread to vent about one company or 'movement'. It makes things feel pointless when you just want to discuss a game without the added political/drama baggage.

It's a slippery slope too because as of now, too many people are giving way too many out of left field posts because they keep testing the waters(and testing the mods and their conviction about not being the purple site) to see what they can get away with in terms of extreme edgy-posting. I've said it before but I don't see this place at it's best by just settling into the extreme opposite viewpoints of another site like some sort of checklist to prove 'we aren't those guys'. There are already more rule-free sites out there that do this and do it well, and I think a reasonable middle ground could be reached here so that we don't just become a lite version those sites with added avatars.

Which games get attacked like the ones you mentioned? I can only think of The Last of Us posts.

Also do you have some examples of these edge posts. I am curious to see what you are seeing.

Which games get attacked like the ones you mentioned?
Can you name a couple ? i am curious.
Here is a thread that was recently derailed:

Also do you have some examples of these edge posts. I am curious to see what you are seeing.
Most of the posts have been removed by now, but here are a couple of threads that still contain that edginess:

Feel free to browse through them and check out what I mean. Also, there is no need to come back to this thread to try and 'defend' the two threads I've linked, because I'm not 'attacking' this website. I'm simply showing that it is what it is and I simply find it to be detrimental at times.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Forget forums, the industry itself will probably be very different in another 10-15yrs.

Glad I was around for all the good shit like magazines, arcades, and booth babes.

How true even is it that traditional console gaming is becoming less popular? I know loads of people in their early and mid 20s who play proper games on a console or PC. I'd actually say they're much more likely to do so than my peers were like 15 years ago. It's certainly WAAAAY more socially acceptable and even cool now.

At the very least there's another generation of hardcore gamers beyond the likes of us in our 30s and 40s.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I never understood the phenomena of discord. The chat goes too fast in popular places, there’s no traceability of a discussion possible. It’s like intertwining all our first page posts but at any time they happen and without the topic.

It’s messy
yea, my studio is using it, i told them to use WhatsApp's if they need me. I dunno, the UI didn't click in me

Fake

I'll continue to do what I always do. Reward good games.

Western devs have their own problems like fighting an imaginary enemy.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Most of the posts have been removed by now, but here are a couple of threads that still contain that edginess:

Feel free to browse through them and check out what I mean. Also, there is no need to come back to this thread to try and 'defend' the two threads I've linked, because I'm not 'attacking' this website. I'm simply showing that it is what it is and I simply find it to be detrimental at times.

Shut up, boomer. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

As far as I know GAF still only lets ppl in at selective and controlled points once or twice a year?

I guess if Evilore was desperate for more members he could quite easily open the membership floodgates. But considering he's not I would assume GAF has a healthy active userbase.

Trends are trends and all generations have observed watching the things they love usually fade away into less relevancy as time goes on. So if the current and future generation of kids opt to support a different gaming market to the one I enjoy then so be it.

For now I'm just happy to still be enjoying a new console or new FF game etc nearly 30 years after I started gaming. That in itself is pretty awesome and something I appreciate.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Maybe we should focus about games, game design, tech, hardware, games services, and games again, and avoid making circle jerk threads about overblown declarations of obscure dev about white people/women ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You'll have to make a NeoGaf version of Tiktok.
Those fuckers know nothing outside that app.
You know how we know films that are classic even though they was made before we was born.
They don't even know anything from the last decade
How you ever spoken to one of them?
It's no wonder they're easily manipulated.
Book smart sure, but dumb as fuck and very gullible.
Remember when we was younger and our stuff offended the older generations?
Now our stuff offends the younger generations too.

It's very rare you come across one with some cultural knowledge and thats because they don't use TikTok and love the 2000's.
The question is not how do we get them interested, but how do we save them.

Last edited:

Success

Thanks for the added info, it's kinda wild reading all of this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How true even is it that traditional console gaming is becoming less popular? I know loads of people in their early and mid 20s who play proper games on a console or PC. I'd actually say they're much more likely to do so than my peers were like 15 years ago. It's certainly WAAAAY more socially acceptable and even cool now.

At the very least there's another generation of hardcore gamers beyond the likes of us in our 30s and 40s.

Fifteen years ago we had Wii, PS3, and Xbox. Three very healthy console platforms, along with Sony and Nintendo handhelds.

Now we’ve got PS5 and Switch, with Xbox practically in the grave.

Sure it’s more socially acceptable. But the console market hasn’t grown for generations now. Mobile has taken over as the top platform.

The most played games on consoles are games like Fortnite and Roblox. The industry is changing, and newer players aren’t going for the same games the older crowd preferred.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm a member of a few forums and have seen these conversations take place a few times.

I think it's quite unlikely that younger people will be tempted away from the newer platforms that have taken over from forums as the place to discuss games. But, I also wonder if in practice if Neogaf's users actually would want younger people on the forum.

RickSanchez

We didn't care when gaming was a niche, boys-only toy. I don't see why we would care now.

This is almost the complete answer. The remaining part of the answer being that as the current crop of GAFfers ages and retires/passes away, the Forum as we know it will end, anyway. Either it will get shut down or taken over by a generation that has different values, politics and views on gaming. That is inevitable. But for the next 40 years or so, we should try to keep it as it is right now.

RickSanchez

The forum looks 2000s in appearance. I think some sort of visual overhaul would probably help in regard to this question.
Disagree. I am very happy with the look and format of the forum. I hope it never changes. At some point i got fucking tired of every site and app trying the same kind of Californian hipster UI/UX. GAF does indeed have an early 2000s feel to it and i love it. Back then, websites were no-nonsense, filled with info. Not the SEO-driven garbage they are today.

Maybe an official app too.
That i would like.

Push politics and race talks back out of the gaming section. It would all be better off gone so that we can go back to discussing gaming for gaming's sake.
Agreed on this too.

There are already more rule-free sites out there that do this and do it well
Can you name a couple ? i am curious.

Gamerguy84

Sorry but discord sucks for discussion. Get too many in a chat and it scrolls right by.

Congrats to the developer of discord for re-inventing AOL.

I like here and even reddit.

Last edited:

Pejo

The answer to saving GAF and forums as a whole has been sitting there staring at us the whole time.

Bring back animated gif avatars!

Seriously though, EL probably doesn't want to hear this, but I'd rather the forum go out staying true to what a forum is instead of chasing zoomers by adding a lot of stupid shit like pogface emotes and live spam chat. I don't think even going 100% discord format would push zoomers to come to this site, and I think it would definitely make a lot of current users quit the site.

If there comes a day that GAF isn't worth keeping the servers online for, I'd hope either some rich GAFfer would offer to take it and host it, or it dies a proper death surrounded by the good people I've enjoyed posting with for over a decade. Nothing lasts forever and I assume that will also be true of pretty much every website that exists right now.

diffusionx

Gold Member
6QZZbpq.jpg

Frfr gramps, y'all need to talk about cod mobile, that shit is dead ass bussin', instead y'all talk about ps3, like bruh that shit is retro, go touch grass, on god no cap

Hunnybun

Fifteen years ago we had Wii, PS3, and Xbox. Three very healthy console platforms, along with Sony and Nintendo handhelds.

Now we’ve got PS5 and Switch, with Xbox practically in the grave.

Sure it’s more socially acceptable. But the console market hasn’t grown for generations now. Mobile has taken over as the top platform.

The most played games on consoles are games like Fortnite and Roblox. The industry is changing, and newer players aren’t going for the same games the older crowd preferred.

What are we really talking about here? It's whether young people still play complex games of the kind we like, right? And therefore whether the market will continue to deliver those experiences?

The evidence I see is that for AT LEAST one generation younger than mine, the answer is that overwhelmingly yes, people do still play lots of those games and they do so on consoles or PC. In fact, it looks to me like among that generation it's actually grown in popularity.

Therefore logically there will continue to be lots of the kinds of games we love produced every year.

I don't know why people get caught up fretting about whether the hobby is growing fast or not. It can remain exactly the same size and still be just as profitable - which frankly is something so obvious it shouldn't need stating.

Top Bottom