• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We arent fat because we eat too much and exercise too little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeke

Banned
Let me get this straight. You are 6 foot 1 and weigh 102 pounds?

images

Raxus

What a bunch of hooey. What you eat DOES matter. If carbs made you fat then runners (and myself) would be in horrible shape. Proper diet, exercise and good genes are probably the biggest factors in staying healthy.

Dash27

But isn't bacon bad for you? Saturated fat and all.

Paleo diet, Primal diet, Taubes, and others would say bacon is ok. If anything would be more concerned about nitrates and stuff rather than the fat. Example of a Paleo diet blogs response:

http://balancedbites.com/2011/05/bacon-health-food-or-devil-in-delicious-disguise.html

From 142 to 102. I'm 6.1 and was 37 when I started. It is a long term thing though. Over a year and change rather than months. But I'm still losing weight. It's a lifestyle adjustment rather than a diet.

I'm guessing that's kilos. That's good, lifestyle changes are much better than the quick fix diet plans. Taubes I think would argue though that as you get older it will be harder and harder to maintain.

Would I accelerate my weight loss with more effort? Surely. But between losing a little weight each month with practically zero effort and losing more weight but with extra effort, I'll take the zero effort solution.

Fair enough.

jimi_dini

The bullet points:

- We dont get fat because we eat more. We eat more because we get fat.

- Calories in and out is largely irrelevant.

- Insulin secretion makes us fat. Carbs make us secrete insulin.

This is complete bullcrap.

Because of a disease, all of the food, that I eat, is Ensure+ (it's special medical liquid food) currently. This is the case for 3 years now and counting. Ensure+ contains lots of sugar, because it's easy for the body to use. And I'm even slightly underweight. And because of the disease, I can't even do any sort of sports at all.

I only need around 5 200ml packages per day. 300kcal each. Which means in total I'm getting 1500kcal per day. Each of those packages contains around 50g carbohydrates.

Of course, if I ate double that, I would get fat. Because I would give my body way too much calories.

"The truth, of course lies somewhere in the middle. While low-carbohydrate diets aren’t for everyone and have their pros and cons, the research is clear: they have major benefits under certain circumstances and can be as healthy (and sometimes healthier) than ‘standard’ carbohydrate based dieting."
Bullshit. Even Gary Taubes' well-done pdf summary of numerous diet trials (can be downloaded from the Reddit link above) shows that study sample sizes are too small, have high drop-out rates, neglect intention-to-treat analyses, and overall do not show anything worthy of applying towards any individual. The problem with nutritional science in its current state is that it's trying to use population-based methods on something an individual can easily test on himself/herself every day. Look at the slew of anecdotes in this thread. It's one thing to design a trial comparing coronary artery bypass surgery versus percutanous stenting for multivessel disease; diet "trials" (especially in non-hospitalized people) is an entire different animal and there is nothing scientific about it. Your thread title should replace "We" with "I."

nib95

Banned
Do carbs correlate with calories at all? For example, when you say remove carbs, can this extend further, on foods purchased, should I be paying more attention to the calorie count, fat quantity or saturated fat amount?

Mondriaan

Taubes did a Reddit AMA about a month ago. Here's a pretty decent counterpoint to his "science":

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...es_science_writer_and_author_of_sweet/c6ud82x

There is an interesting reply to that counterpoint there.

Regarding the 13 studies listed in argument for weight loss, only 3 of them lasted longer than a week. One of which considered 25% calories from carbohydrate to be "low", another was entirely liquid food with fats coming exclusively from corn oil, and the other consisted of < 40% calories from fat (with no other mention of dietary composition in the abstract).

I don't find these studies to be terribly compelling. At the very least, most of these don't account for the effects of ketoadaptation which can take weeks to months to set in.

Further, IIRC, Taubes recommends very low carb diets in "Why We Get Fat", and none of the diets in these studies qualify, save possibly the liquid-diet study (which I find even less compelling, due to the subjects not actually eating food for ~1 month).

As someone who lost 100 lbs on a low carb diet, not because I didn't eat, but because I no longer felt like eating all the time, I'm entirely on this bus. My feeling is that the people who doubt the logic in the OP have never gone on a low carbohydrate diet for more than a 1 month period. It's a transforming life experience to not have food dominate your mind, to always feel hungry, even a bit when you are stuffed and feeling bloated.

Also, I drink far, far more water on a low carbohydrate diet than I do on a normal "American" diet. I simply crave water all the time, and it feels good.

Do carbs correlate with calories at all? For example, when you say remove carbs, can this extend further, on foods purchased, should I be paying more attention to the calorie count, fat quantity or saturated fat amount?

Well, 1g carbs is 4 calories. So yes, they do correlate. But the total calories on the nutrition label takes that into account (that's how they calculate the calories). Fat is 9 calories I believe.

Always avoid saturated fats. Monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats are good for you IIRC. Definitely pay attention to caloric values as well as fat %, nothing is unimportant.

maxxpower

So according to this thread I can't eat quinoa, beans, steel cut oats, brown rice, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fat free cheese. How about I just kill myself.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What? Joke post? :p
Eat brown rice btw, way more healthy...
Nope. White rice with sugar. All day errday. I do whatta wan.

But I exercise regularly and eat a bunch of fruit and veggies so maybe it evens out. I love my carbs and I'm definitely not a fatty.

Nope. White rice with sugar. All day errday. I do whatta wan.

But I exercise regularly and eat a bunch of fruit and veggies so maybe it evens out. I love my carbs and I'm definitely not a fatty.
I think different people (genetics) and different lifestyles (environment) require different kinds of diets. I would never go to an Olympic athlete and dictate a low carb diet, for example. It has worked for me, and ideally, I'd just like to see people respect it as a healthy, smart option for certain people who live certain kinds of lives.

So according to this thread I can't eat quinoa, beans, steel cut oats, brown rice, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fat free cheese. How about I just kill myself.

:lol

The main point of the study is sound, but people here are blowing things out of proportion.

Dash27

Bullshit. Even Gary Taubes' well-done pdf summary of numerous diet trials (can be downloaded from the Reddit link above) shows that study sample sizes are too small, have high drop-out rates, neglect intention-to-treat analyses, and overall do not show anything worthy of applying towards any individual. The problem with nutritional science in its current state is that it's trying to use population-based methods on something an individual can easily test on himself/herself every day. Look at the slew of anecdotes in this thread. It's one thing to design a trial comparing coronary artery bypass surgery versus percutanous stenting for multivessel disease; diet "trials" (especially in non-hospitalized people) is an entire different animal and there is nothing scientific about it.

You can take that up with Lyle McDonald. I'm personally posting this thread as a conversation starter. I was a proponent of counting calories and calories in/calories out. Still eat oatmeal and grain though I am wanting to stop that for various reasons.

As I say, nutrition info is almost comically contradicting and ever changing. Everyone should be skeptical but it's also good to keep an open mind and hear out a well reasoned, well researched and well supported argument. You can play the dueling studies game or pick apart the ones you feel arent up to snuff, that's fine.

Your thread title should replace "We" with "I."

Well that's just poor grammar.

Piecake

For those people who dont agree with the no grain, no sugar, no processed foods diet, they should actually try that diet for a month and see for themselves

Quite simply, it works. I dont calorie count. I simply dont eat grain, sugar, and processed foods, but eat good food until I'm full, and quite often eat more than I should, and I still lose/maintain weight. Oh, and I dont exercise, at all (though i should lift for my general health)

I also feel better on this diet. I used to constantly get colds. Those are gone now. I also have much more sustained energy and dont get those sugar high/carb crashes anymore. Feeling like a bloated sack of crap if you eat too many carbs? Gone too.

The reason why people are advocated this diet is that they have tried it and it has worked for them. It has worked for a lot of people, and it is EASILY sustainable. A calorie deficit diet with more exercise simply isnt.

You can eat dairy. And Quinoa, beans, and brown rice arent bad for you. they simply arent good for you

As I say, nutrition info is almost comically contradicting and ever changing. Everyone should be skeptical but it's also good to keep an open mind and hear out a well reasoned, well researched and well supported argument. You can play the dueling studies game or pick apart the ones you feel arent up to snuff, that's fine.
And I'm arguing that there's nothing well-researched in this field.

Well that's just poor grammar.
But at least it would be more accurate and less misleading.

Dash27

Oh I definitely wouldnt go that far. I think you can eat all of that in moderate amounts and be just fine. Fat free cheese though sounds a bit ... bleh... to me, but i digress. I think the point is how inundated our diets are with sugar and processed foods and what effect that has on us.

From 142 to 102. I'm 6.1 and was 37 when I started. It is a long term thing though. Over a year and change rather than months. But I'm still losing weight. It's a lifestyle adjustment rather than a diet. Would I accelerate my weight loss with more effort? Surely. But between losing a little weight each month with practically zero effort and losing more weight but with extra effort, I'll take the zero effort solution.

............Please tell me you are not at 6 foot 1 inch and 102 pounds.

Cheese (why on earth would you eat fat free), and cottage cheese are encouraged on most low carb diets. Milk and Yogurt are allowed on some.

TBH there are some nutty diets out there. What you NEED to learn is the basics of the diet.....(for example if the goal is to avoid processed foods and stay under 50g of carbs a day) they work towards that goal. Rather than getting too caught up in details.

Parch

Individual metabolism is related to age, so most who claim "I can eat anything and never gain weight" are probably under 25. That's a poor attitude to maintain because developing bad eating habits catch up to you when you hit 30.

Dash27

And I'm arguing that there's nothing well-researched in this field.

But at least it would be more accurate and less misleading.

Taubes is calling for more research. I believe he intends to work towards those studies himself.

The title is meant to be provocative, but you should read it in the context of: we (generically) are getting fatter, in the US and elsewhere. Not by a little, and not over a long period of time. It's not that we are suddenly doing less, exercising less, or eating more calories. It's that what we are eating is making us fatter.

Rad-

Cottage cheese and milk are actually quite protein heavy and very much allowed on a low-carb diet. Cottage cheese for one is an amazing protein source.

The Atkins diet works based on the simple concept of causing ketosis in your body, thus leading your body to consume fat via lipolysis. There aren't many long-term medicinal studies that point it out as a particularly healthy or effective long-term diet. The whole, "My buddy worked out and cut carbs and is now shredded!" is meaningless, aside from the fact that it worked out for your buddy.

Calories in versus calories out is the MOST important factor, bar none. Your resting metabolic rate dictates what you need to eat every day. If you're gaining weight, it means you are consuming more calories than your resting metabolic rate. It can't be any simpler than that.

The macro-nutrient composition of the calories you eat plays a role in terms of how quickly they can be accessed by the body for energy (carbs are an instant insulin spike, whereas protein and fat not so much). They can also have a multitude of other factors on your overall health (you won't get a healthy balance of your body's vitamin and amino acid needs if you eat sugary crap all day). But in terms of weight gains and weight loss, it's calories in / calories out.

Remember that guy who ate crap like Twinkies all day to get his necessary caloric intake for the day? By reducing the number of calories he took in, he lost weight and was generally speaking healthier on an all-Twinkie diet.

Piecake

The Atkins diet works based on the simple concept of causing ketosis in your body, thus leading your body to consume fat via lipolysis. There aren't many long-term medicinal studies that point it out as a particularly healthy or effective long-term diet. The whole, "My buddy worked out and cut carbs and is not shredded!" is meaningless, aside from the fact that it worked out for your buddy.

Calories in versus calories out is the MOST important factor, bar none. Your resting metabolic rate dictates what you need to eat every day. If you're gaining weight, it means you are consuming more calories than your resting metabolic rate. It can't be any simpler than that.

The macro-nutrient composition of the calories you eat plays a role in terms of how quickly they can be accessed by the body for energy (carbs are an instant insulin spike, whereas protein and fat not so much). They can also have a multitude of other factors on your overall health (you won't get a healthy balance of your bodies vitamin and amino acid needs if you eat sugary crap all day). But in terms of weight gains and weight loss, it's calories in / calories out.

Remember that guy who ate crap like Twinkies all day to get his necessary caloric intake for the day? By reducing the number of calories he took in, he lost weight and was generally speaking healthier on an all-Twinkie diet.

Bullshit. An all twinkie diet calorie in/calorie out diet is simply unsustainable. All sorts of crazy diets can work in the short term. The reason why the no grain, no sugar, no processed food diet works is because its easily sustainable for the rest of your life.

Seriously, I eat a TON of food. I just eat the right food and i am able to lose and maintain my weight. I honestly have no idea how much calories i eat, but that is another positive thing about the diet. You dont have to worry about that crap. You should have to worry about what you stick in your mouth, not how much

Seriously, try it for yourself before you knock it. A no grain, no sugar, no processed food diet definitely wont do any damage, no matter your views on diet

Krowley

What happened to just eating less of everything and exercising a bit? Worked for me. I lost 40 pounds just by walking each day and eating smaller portions. I didn't give up anything either. I eat pasta, I take my coffee with sugar, I drink alcohol, I eat dairy products, I eat fried foods. I'm not going to the gym or following any sort of rigid exercise regimen. Zero sacrifices. Just a tiny bit of discipline and common sense.

According to all these advocates for weird diets I'm doing the wrong thing. Yet I'm still losing weight and my health is the best it's been since I was a teenager.

I was a super skinny child but once puberty kicked in I exploded. I spent my teens, my twenties and the early part of my thirties being miserable, out of shape and overweight. I kept looking into and trying all sorts of stuff. For a long while I even retreated to the "It's hormonal it's not my fault, it's my metabolism!" Bullshit. Once I realized that I was running out of breath while tying by boots it just clicked. Losing weight was so easy I'm actrually pissed at myself for being such a lazy asshole.

Taubes talks about this a bit in his books. Basically, if you are eating less, you're also eating less carbs, because carbs make up a certain percentage of your diet, and if you cut food, you're cutting everything. Also, when people go on any diet, they usually cut down on obvious problem foods (soft drinks, sweets) right away, and for some people that is enough.

Some people are only slightly insulin resistant, and they can get away with only making slight changes.

Rad-

What do you think the fat is for?

I'm not about to recommend zero carbohydrate diets for all, but while you have a physiological need for glucose, how much of that must be in the form of external (i.e. eaten) glucose is debatable since your body is capable of converting it from protein and even fat in limited quantities.

That said, after extensive reading of the works of Taubes, Eades, Guyenet, and many illuminating others, I personally aim to eat mostly meat and fat with a bit of greens, fruits, and even potatoes (!!!) and don't worry too much about macronutrient ratios. I've been eating a low carbohydrate, high fat diet for about four years now (with occasional human deviations...) and my health has generally been excellent and improved.

Fat doesn't energize the brain IIRC. You need at least some carbs for that.

Ra\/en

Calories in, calories out. Don't eat too many. Sure, eat veggies and meat. It will keep you full for longer, and you will break down the fat more slowly.

Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. It IS complicated, but we don't have a nation of fat people due to complicated nutritional concepts. We eat too much, and we don't move enough.

That being said, I know i'd feel much more full from a steak when compared to a big bowl of french fries.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3820/2 4x 174 calories (696) if you are eating a 12 oz steak. that's fairly filling. I probably wouldn't have to eat too much for the rest of the day if I ate that.

compare that to a large mcdonalds french fries. 574 calories and it's so easy to pack away. Quickly metabolized and you are hungry again! I know I am anyway.

Bullshit. An all twinkie diet calorie in/calorie out diet is simply unsustainable. All sorts of crazy diets can work in the short term. The reason why the no grain, no sugar, no processed food diet works is because its easily sustainable for the rest of your life.

Seriously, I eat a TON of food. I just eat the right food and i am able to lose and maintain my weight. I honestly have no idea how much calories i eat, but that is another positive thing about the diet. You dont have to worry about that crap. You should have to worry about what you stick in your mouth, not how much

Seriously, try it for yourself before you knock it. A no grain, no sugar, no processed food diet definitely wont do any damage, no matter your views on diet

I'm not claiming the Twinkie diet is sustainable, silly goose. I'm saying that a scientific researcher was able to lose weight eating nothing but that kind of junk by limiting his caloric intake to under his metabolic resting rate. That supports what every nutritionist and dietitian in the world has known forever: calories in/calories out is what matters.

I'm happy you've found an Atkins-style diet that you can maintain for the entirety of your life. Unfortunately, there isn't long-term research that proves the diet is healthy for you. The founder died of heart disease. The over-reliance on foods heavy in fats and cholesterol is particularly worrisome for me.

I have done the Atkins diet in the past, and felt sluggish and generally bad while doing it. It was only for a month, but that was enough for me. I used it to get cut up for a summer beach season. It worked but I'm never going back.

There are lots of different diets that work for different people. The key is making sure you meet your body's nutritional (vitamins, calories, amino acids, etc.) needs. If you're checking off those boxes, you're good to go. I've been a vegetarian for awhile now and it works for me. I am at an ideal weight, I feel energetic and great all day long, and I'm never hungry. That's sustainable for me.

And you can get those from veggies, dairy, or fruit. You don't need to eat grain, and definitely do not need/want sugar

Yep. I've actually reversed my diabetes by reducing my carbohydrate consumption. The trick, for me anyway, was to find the proper sustainable amount for myself at my current weight.
Lately, I've been taking in around 125-150 grams per day (oops had it wrong) and I'm loosing weight. It's a slow and steady weight loss, but this is with no exercise, no calorie counting, and no cravings. I loose around 1lb a week or so. The issue is the cost of food though, since I'm eating so much meat now. I still eat my bread and potatoes though, got that Irish in my blood, but I just try to smart about it.

maxxpower

You can eat dairy. And Quinoa, beans, and brown rice arent bad for you. they simply arent good for you

Exactly, I don't want to eat foods that aren't exactly bad for you but also aren't really good for you, so I guess I'll just cut them out of my diet.

Oh I definitely wouldnt go that far. I think you can eat all of that in moderate amounts and be just fine. Fat free cheese though sounds a bit ... bleh... to me, but i digress. I think the point is how inundated our diets are with sugar and processed foods and what effect that has on us.

I do eat all that in moderate amounts and I'm quite lean but I also exercise a lot, however I might try getting rid of al grains to see how I feel physically, though the last time I tried doing it I felt quite weak because I didn't really replace the calories from the grains with anything so I was a bit depleted on calories.

Cheese (why on earth would you eat fat free), and cottage cheese are encouraged on most low carb diets. Milk and Yogurt are allowed on some.

TBH there are some nutty diets out there. What you NEED to learn is the basics of the diet.....(for example if the goal is to avoid processed foods and stay under 50g of carbs a day) they work towards that goal. Rather than getting too caught up in details.

I don't really eat a lot of cheese, I just eat the fat free shredded cheddar cheese as a snack since I get a lot of my fats from avocados, nuts, and fish. I love cottage cheese but I try not to eat too much because it has so much sodium. I have to drink milk, I just have to, should I replace dairy milk with something like almond milk?

Piecake

I'm not claiming the Twinkie diet is sustainable, silly goose. I'm saying that a scientific researcher was able to lose weight eating nothing but that kind of junk by limiting his caloric intake to under his metabolic resting rate. That supports what every nutritionist and dietitian in the world has known forever: calories in/calories out is what matters.

I'm happy you've found an Atkins-style diet that you can maintain for the entirety of your life. Unfortunately, there isn't long-term research that proves the diet is healthy for you. The founder died of heart disease. The over-reliance on foods heavy in fats and cholesterol is particularly worrisome for me.

I have done the Atkins diet in the past, and felt sluggish and generally bad while doing it. It was only for a month, but that was enough for me. I used it to get cut up for a summer beach season. It worked but I'm never going back.

There are lots of different diets that work for different people. The key is making sure you meet your bodies nutritional (vitamins, calories, amino acids, etc.) needs. If you're checking off those boxes, you're good to go. I've been a vegetarian for awhile now and it works for me. I am at an ideal weight, I feel energetic and great all day long, and I'm never hungry. That's sustainable for me.

You'll be hard pressed to find a study that links fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol with an increased chance for heart disease. What increases your risk is carbs and especially sugar.

Seriously though, if your Adkins diet was you just eating meat and veggies, well, I can see why you'd get sick of it. I dont eat more meat since ive changed to this diet, though there is nothing wrong with that. Ive simply been eating more dairy, fruit, and especially more dairy.

But hey, if you feel full and healthy on a vegetarian diet, more power to you. Personally, I couldnt do it because it takes a hell of a lot more work to make sure you get proper nutrients and I highly doubt i would feel full without meat

I don't really eat a lot of cheese, I just eat the fat free shredded cheddar cheese as a snack since I get a lot of my fats from avocados, nuts, and fish. I love cottage cheese but I try not to eat too much because it has so much sodium. I have to drink milk, I just have to, should I replace dairy milk with something like almond milk?

If you cut carbs, you should 'replace' the carbs with fat. so drop the fat free cheese for full fat, etc

Dash27

By the same token a guy eating his normal 3000kcals per day, and expending his normal amount of calories in activity, changes his food from pizza and soda to grilled chicken and broccoli and loses 20 pounds very quickly. So clearly it's not only calories in calories out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think different people (genetics) and different lifestyles (environment) require different kinds of diets. I would never go to an Olympic athlete and dictate a low carb diet, for example. It has worked for me, and ideally, I'd just like to see people respect it as a healthy, smart option for certain people who live certain kinds of lives.
That's reasonable. I just get uptight when people construct a message that demonizes a macro-nutrient without contextualizing it. Like the "all sugar is poison" guy. It's not that simple. There's no magic bullet or one size fits all solution to maintaining a healthy body.

And ignoring "calories in / calories out" is just throwing the baby out with the bath water. That model can be tailored to fit an individual's goals as well. Fats and proteins aren't a get out of fail free card. You can easily gain weight on that. I've bulked up before by mostly eating natural peanut butter.

And you can get those from veggies, dairy, or fruit. You dont need to eat grain, and definitely do not need/want sugar
FWIW, I will continue to eat whole grains to help reduce my chances of getting colon cancer, the second most common cancer-killer in the U.S. Unlike weight-loss studies, the consistency amongst multiple studies showing the protective benefit of dietary fiber, specifically from grains, is actually convincing.

MjFrancis

Taubes is calling for more research. I believe he intends to work towards those studies himself.

The title is meant to be provocative, but you should read it in the context of: we (generically) are getting fatter, in the US and elsewhere. Not by a little, and not over a long period of time. It's not that we are suddenly doing less, exercising less, or eating more calories. It's that what we are eating is making us fatter.
I'd disagree with this. In addition to the influx of refined sugars in the Western diet, there's an argument that it's coincided with an increase of daily consumption of overall calories and a far more sedentary lifestyle for the general population.

I don't have any studies offhand, but if anyone could find the number of hours in front of a monitor or television your average American spent in 1980, 1990, 2000, etc. I'd wager there was an upward trend. This gives them ample opportunity to consume more calories and more of those refined sugars that everyone is fussing about. It's a two-pronged assault on the waistline. You have additional time and opportunity to eat.

ShinNL

I'm an athlete, Soneet. We typically ignore this type of bullshit.
Good for you, but do realize that the average person isn't. I see you in every carb thread trying to demonize (as you say it) the posters who encourage avoiding carbs. That doesn't help make the world better.

Ra\/en

Sigh. It's not about complicated biochemical science. The main barriers are Social Determinants of health.

from the wikipedia page "They are risk factors found in one's living and working conditions (such as the distribution of income, wealth, influence, and power), rather than individual factors (such as behavioural risk factors or genetics) that influence the risk for a disease, injury, or vulnerability to disease or injury. "

For the most part, if you are fat and unhealthy, it is because there is a problem of sorts in the social determinants of health that shape you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_determinants_of_health

I strongly support this idea.

Piecake

FWIW, I will continue to eat whole grains to help reduce my chances of getting colon cancer, the second most common cancer-killer in the U.S. Unlike weight-loss studies, the consistency amongst multiple studies showing the protective benefit of dietary fiber, specifically from grains, is actually convincing.

Well, i have some bad news for you. Want you want is soluble fiber, not insoluble fiber. Whole wheat has insoluble dietry fiber. Insoluble just makes you crap more often. The best source of soluble fiber is green veggies, fruit, and legumes. So yea, just eat Spinach and fruit and you are good to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom