• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have to stop with the concern trolling

MarkMe2525

(Walks into best buy) "I need a tv". (18 year old puts away his phone after a few minutes) "well sir have you thought of picking up the Samsung 236 or the LG 215?" (Man thinks it over as he bought a Samsung 194 two years previously) "I'll take it" says the customer!

Life would be so easy if everything just had a sequential number behind it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But first we have to ban Kotaku from this site😂

How the hell are these folks industry journalist, when different SKU's and thier respective names overwhelms them

Hmmmm..... One is called Series X and comes in a black oversized tissue box shell. The other is called Series S and comes in a small white shell with a big black speaker vent on it and is $300 US. The other one will be released for probably $500.

On paper I think they are different but my mind can't tell them apart. Help.

Anyone here a car expert? I was thinking about an Audi.

The website shows a black A6. And also a white A4.

The A6 has better specs, is a bit bigger, and a higher price. But I don't get it. Will the A4 be the same as an A6?

Last edited:
Hmmmm..... One is called Series X and comes in a black oversized tissue box shell. The other is called Series S and comes in a small white shell with a big black speaker vent on it and is $300 US. The other one will be released for probably $500.

For us forum dwellers its easy to distinguish. We are minority in the grand scheme of things.

Its no coincidence that One S and One X started trending straight after the leak. There is going to be much confusion when the average Joe has to pick up any of these consoles.

People want to label Kotaku a steaming pile of shit but in this case they have a point as do many on twitter who have pointed out the fact many are confused by the naming structure at Xbox.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For us forum dwellers its easy to distinguish. We are minority in the grand scheme of things.

Its no coincidence that One S and One X started trending straight after the leak. There is going to be much confusion when the average Joe has to pick up any of these consoles.

People want to label Kotaku a steaming pile of shit but in this case they have a point as do many on twitter who have pointed out the fact many are confused by the naming structure at Xbox.
That's on people to do research.

If the average joe can tell the difference in car specs, pc specs, kitchen appliance specs, which can have crazy names and product codes, they can figure out the difference between a handful or consoles that are priced different, look different, and have different features.

Two SKUs is too much for Kotaku to handle.

tenor.gif

That's on people to do research.

If the average joe can tell the difference in car specs, pc specs, kitchen appliance specs, which can have crazy names and product codes, they can figure out the difference between a handful or consoles that are priced different, look different, and have different features.
How many actually do that?

I used to work in retail a few years ago as a salesman and i can't tell you how many times i had to explain to people wanting to buy their family a members or friends a console and what the difference was between a PS3 and Xbox 360.

At $299 Series S is cheap enough for a mom or dad to pick up for their kid. Do you think they are going to come into the store having done the research to buy a console for their kid? Or are they going to rely on the salesman to do their homework for them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Buy a 3DS.
Which 3DS? The old 3DS or the New 3DS?

I just wanted to make sure the New 3DS is better since it came out later, looks different and has different specs. And Nintendo isn't lying where it's actually the old 3DS, but had the packaging updated to just say "New" on the box.

Please help.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I used to work in retail a few years ago as a salesman and i can't tell you how many times i had to explain to people wanting to buy their family a members or friends a console and what the difference was between a PS3 and Xbox 360.

At $299 Series S is cheap enough for a mom or dad to pick up for their kid. Do you think they are going to come into the store having done the research to buy a console for their kid? Or are they going to rely on the salesman to do their homework for them.
That's on them to be informed and not be a moron. Maybe ask the kid next time which one.

Last time I bought a microwave oven I check sites for specs, size, which brands had a steel finish etc.... I don't just show up at the store and buy a random one just by going off the box.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Which 3DS? The old 3DS or the New 3DS?

I just wanted to make sure the New 3DS is better since it came out later, looks different and has different specs. And Nintendo isn't lying where it's actually the old 3DS, but had the packaging updated to just say "New" on the box.

Please help.
The one that plays the games.

JLB

Banned
From the same people that fully evaluates the endemic problems of modern western societies, and make analysis of mid-west geopolitical crisis:
"Two products, each of them identified with a different character. Too damn hard!"

Relativ9

I mean they are pretty stupid names, but then ever since the 360 Microsoft have been dumb about their naming scheme so this is nothing new. Sure one or two people in a hundred will be confused and buy the wrong product, but it's honestly not a big deal and on them for not doing their research (or the store for not informing them).

I definitly think the "series" part of the name implies mid-gen upgrades (pro versions), in 3-4 years there will be a new replacement series X and replacement series S, probably bringing the series S more in line in TF to the current series X, and boosting the X to 20TF.

Saruhashi

Banned

How the hell are these folks industry journalist, when different SKU's and thier respective names overwhelms them

I hate Kotaku so much but if anyone here has ever worked in retail they will be able to see the potential issues here pretty quickly.

It's all fine for people like us who are interested in this stuff and know exactly the difference in all of these consoles.

XBox Series S and XBox Series X are poorly thought out naming conventions. Especially considering the last Gen they used One S and One X.

Launching with different color ways or different bundled games is one thing.
If these are launching at the same time then that just seems like madness to me.
Microsoft are really going to launch two next gen consoles at the same time, with different price points but with similar sounding names?

Saruhashi

Banned

Anyone here a car expert? I was thinking about an Audi.

The website shows a black A6. And also a white A4.

The A6 has better specs, is a bit bigger, and a higher price. But I don't get it. Will the A4 be the same as an A6?

It's not a great comparison because the truth with gaming is that a large % of customers will be people not buying a console for themselves.

So yeah when I go to buy a car I am buying it for myself.

When a kid is asking for a new console for Xmas (and these are launching in the holiday season for a reason) there is a pretty obvious potential point of confusion here.

I dunno. It seems daft to me to launch a console where you are offering different versions that are more than different colors or storage spaces or whatever.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I hate Kotaku so much but if anyone here has ever worked in retail they will be able to see the potential issues here pretty quickly.

It's all fine for people like us who are interested in this stuff and know exactly the difference in all of these consoles.

XBox Series S and XBox Series X are poorly thought out naming conventions. Especially considering the last Gen they used One S and One X.

Launching with different color ways or different bundled games is one thing.
If these are launching at the same time then that just seems like madness to me.
Microsoft are really going to launch two next gen consoles at the same time, with different price points but with similar sounding names?

And they’re not exactly being up front about what the differences are between the two in terms of power and what they can do...

I tend to agree with most here when they say it’s not that confusing if it’s just Series S and Series X on the shelf. If shops are still stocking the One X though, it’ll be far worse.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

Yeeeaaahhh, this argument rears it's ugly head again. This absolutely reeks of first world problems. This was the huge talking point in the pre release of FFVIIR.

"OMG IT'S ONLY LIKE 2O% OF THE FULL GAME AND IT DOESN'T SAY PART 1 PEOPLE GONNA GET DUPED BY DECEPTIVE MARKETING REEE-,"

Like...turn the fucking box over. Read the paragraph synopsis. Three sentences seems like a marathon, but pace yourself and you'll be fine. This is one area of the business I actually appreciate, because it incentivizes people to not act like impulsive dipshits. They will, anyway, though, and then start trending on Twitter.

"This evil corporate entity made me walk into a store and spend $300 without knowing what the fuck I was buying!"

Like, come on dudes and dudettes. Did you go to your grandfather's farm as a child and piss on his electric fence and proceed to sue his ass into bankruptcy? The problem isn't deceptive marketing, it's with frivolous consumers. Thank you to all the Square Enix and Microsoft employees for their vetting.

Last edited:

This has nothing to do with concern trolling, this is clickbait journalism 101. People find this to be a running gag for generations when more than one product is named identical. Thus they run articles to get clicks.

Saruhashi

Banned
And they’re not exactly being up front about what the differences are between the two in terms of power and what they can do...

I tend to agree with most here when they say it’s not that confusing if it’s just Series S and Series X on the shelf. If shops are still stocking the One X though, it’ll be far worse.

At least something like a mid-gen refresh makes sense.
Games are coming out that are pushing the limits of the launch console more and more.
So bring out a new one with "pro" attached to the name and people know it's like an "upgrade" and not a true "next gen".

How the hell are they launching a new next-gen console but also saying "you can buy a cheaper and not so powerful one instead though".
It's really, really, weird.

It's strange because it allows the Series S to kind of cannibalize the sales of the Series X.
Some people who may have been willing to pay up for the X will now decide to go for the S.
There will be fewer people who are fine with the S but will say "you know what I'll drop the extra 200 bucks for the X".

Worse still if Sony steps in and offers PS5 and a price somewhere between the S and X.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yeeeaaahhh, this argument rears it's ugly head again. This absolutely reeks of first world problems. This was the huge talking point in the pre release of FFVIIR.

Haha. What the hell does this even mean?

It's a fact that you'll get a lot of consumers who aren't browsing forums or any of that shit.
Which is why clear and unambiguous branding really works wonders.

You telling me you've never gone to buy an item that you don't know much about, seen the range of stuff on offer, and thought "fuck, I don't know what I'm doing here".

There will be plenty of folks looking to buy "an XBOX" who will be a bit confused by what the hell is actually on offer from Microsoft here.

The poster you are replying to isn't lying FFS. It's a legitimate issue.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Haha. What the hell does this even mean?

It's a fact that you'll get a lot of consumers who aren't browsing forums or any of that shit.
Which is why clear and unambiguous branding really works wonders.

You telling me you've never gone to buy an item that you don't know much about, seen the range of stuff on offer, and thought "fuck, I don't know what I'm doing here".

There will be plenty of folks looking to buy "an XBOX" who will be a bit confused by what the hell is actually on offer from Microsoft here.

The poster you are replying to isn't lying FFS. It's a legitimate issue.

Yes, I've gone to buy something and said "I don't know what I'm doing," that's a very natural scenario for a human being to happen upon. The key difference, which I've already addressed, is what happens afterward. There's a divergence, two paths to take:

A. Say EHHH IDK FUCK IT LOL and spend three hundred bucks and hope for the best

B. Research what you're spending your hard earned money on.

There is no scenario where I'll need to buy gaming hardware/software so desperately that I will fork over money without taking the time to know that my investment is worthwhile. It's not the corporation's responsibility to tell you what to do with your money. This is why review aggregate sites and forums exist.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
I don't know what's going on with all the companies but there is a tendency everywhere to just go away with numbers. It's so silly when you need to remember how to order the damn Pirates of the Caribbean movies or any Marvel movie outside of Iron Man. iPhone skipped a 9, went for X instead of 10 while telling everyone to call it "Ten" and then moved on to normal 11-12.... It just feels like some marketing department trying too hard to push for "cool" design because they will rotate out of the job in a year and want an impressive design on their resume while it's never been a problem for a consumer or actually influences purchasing decision.

Xbox is not the first and it won't be the last but the trend needs to fucking stop. Nobody cares if it's Series S or X, so why can't it be a simple Xbox4 and Xbox4S/Mini - two variants and number for generation. They don't do this shit with Surface but for some reason XboX naming selection is generated by a coke-addicted intern. I mean Xbox -> 360 -> One -> One S/X -> Series S/X - who's stealing my medicine? I guess Microsoft wants to upgrade those much more often in the future as indicated by "Series" but I can see the point of it being a weird choice.

TonyK

I don't like the Xbox naming also. It's weird and it has no sense since X360, and all this mess was because, at the day, they can't name Xbox 2 when Sony presented Playstation 3, so they started that stupid trend of names.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yes, I've gone to buy something and said "I don't know what I'm doing," that's a very natural scenario for a human being to happen upon. The key difference, which I've already addressed, is what happens afterward. There's a divergence, two paths to take:

A. Say EHHH IDK FUCK IT LOL and spend three hundred bucks and hope for the best

B. Research what you're spending your hard earned money on.

There is no scenario where I'll need to buy gaming hardware/software so desperately that I will fork over money without taking the time to know that my investment is worthwhile. It's not the corporation's responsibility to tell you what to do with your money. This is why review aggregate and forums exist.

Right but you are missing the point.
If a company is looking to perform exceptionally well in terms of sales then they need to consider customers who are not informed.

That's where a strong brand and a simple message comes into play.

There is no scenario where YOU or I will be confused enough to throw up our hands and say "fuck it" and go steaming in without looking at online reviews and doing research.

For many the point of getting "information" will be when they are at the store and looking to leave within 15 minutes with a product in their hands.
That's where you just want to have "Playstation 5" as the offering as opposed to "This is Xbox Series S and this is Xbox Series X and this is why they are different and this is when you'd want this one and when you'd want that one."

Other factors are daft things like people buying a Series S will feel that they are not getting the "best" XBox so buying the only new Playstation then feels better on an emotional level.

There are LOADS of factors in marketing and sales especially when you are talking about a competitive market with various new products launching at the same time and all trying to get people to buy them.

I mean, it's not important. Sure. Who really cares in the end?
It's an interesting thing to discuss and personally I think Microsoft is making a pretty huge error with their marketing but I might be wrong so whatever.

Top Bottom