• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We have to stop with the concern trolling

jaysius

Banned
Just great, you've given mindless fanbois another word they throw out ad hominem like it's a valid counterpoint to any conversation about their system. I've seen it already someone saying "wow you're showing such concern".

Giving braindead fanbois a new tool, I guess that makes you some kind of awful trendsetter?

RPSleon

Just told my girlfriend there are two new xboxes coming out. Xbox series s and xbox series x. I asked her which one she thinks is more powerful, and she answered x.

She has no idea about gaming at all, but she gets it. People understand iphone hierarchy and thats much more complicated.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Right but you are missing the point.
If a company is looking to perform exceptionally well in terms of sales then they need to consider customers who are not informed.

That's where a strong brand and a simple message comes into play.

There is no scenario where YOU or I will be confused enough to throw up our hands and say "fuck it" and go steaming in without looking at online reviews and doing research.

For many the point of getting "information" will be when they are at the store and looking to leave within 15 minutes with a product in their hands.
That's where you just want to have "Playstation 5" as the offering as opposed to "This is Xbox Series S and this is Xbox Series X and this is why they are different and this is when you'd want this one and when you'd want that one."

Other factors are daft things like people buying a Series S will feel that they are not getting the "best" XBox so buying the only new Playstation then feels better on an emotional level.

There are LOADS of factors in marketing and sales especially when you are talking about a competitive market with various new products launching at the same time and all trying to get people to buy them.

I mean, it's not important. Sure. Who really cares in the end?
It's an interesting thing to discuss and personally I think Microsoft is making a pretty huge error with their marketing but I might be wrong so whatever.

Yeah, I mean it's certainly a clunky naming convention compared to using sequential numbering like Sony, but I figure the price tag is going to serve the same purpose, you know? People are mentally trained in a "it costs more, it's better," way, and anyone thinking in those terms is probably a casual who won't really suffer from getting a standard model, either way. It is interesting to discuss, though, you're correct.

Let's get real.

The guy who came up with these naming scheme should be fired.

My friend, an Xbox fan, can't even keep the names straight, and has to think about it. Much harder for casuals.

It's not too late MS, change the name!

KEEP US SANE, CHANGE THE NAME!

🤦‍♂️😅 Good God. Concern trolling is nearing maximum intensity.

If serious, this is more a statement about your friend's intelligence than anything else. JFC, gimme a break.

Saruhashi

Banned
I don't like the Xbox naming also. It's weird and it has no sense since X360, and all this mess was because, at the day, they can't name Xbox 2 when Sony presented Playstation 3, so they started that stupid trend of names.

They should have just gone with "XBox X2" or something.
Or at least gone with using a specific name.

Nintendo when with 64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U and Switch and sure enough the "Wii U" was confusing for the market because people were not 100% clear on what it actually is. Many thought it was an add-on for Wii and too expensive for what it was.

XBox One
XBox One S
XBox One X

Ok. That is sensible when you consider the S and X came out down the line and it's clear they are just iterations of the One.

Who the hell thought to follow that up with "XBox Series S" and "XBox Series X"?

Of course, it might be that I am just set in my ways.
I feel like with a new gen you want to be getting the best and newest console.
Microsoft are saying here "well this new gen console X is actually a bit more new gen than the S".

Saruhashi

Banned
Yeah, I mean it's certainly a clunky naming convention compared to using sequential numbering like Sony, but I figure the price tag is going to serve the same purpose, you know? People are mentally trained in a "it costs more, it's better," way, and anyone thinking in those terms is probably a casual who won't really suffer from getting a standard model, either way. It is interesting to discuss, though, you're correct.

I mean, in some ways I think MS are in a tough spot.

The exclusive games are what give Sony the edge.
However having the most powerful console is a major selling point in gaming.

So MS knows that they MUST have the most powerful console on the market.
That's cool but you know it's going to be the most expensive too.

So they are going for the best of both worlds, I think.
Release the most powerful console ever but also release a cheaper version to appeal to people who don't like the price tag.

So maybe the naming convention has been picked to try and make sure the two consoles are not seen as too different from each other.
Essentially you want the Series S to sell based on association with "most powerful ever" so it has to be named similarly.

I dunno. We'll find out in a year or so when sales data starts to really take shape.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
Top Bottom