• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well, now it's officially official (Re: Wii pro logic II)

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
Anyone pitching damage control for Nintendo over this is simply sad. Any receiver that does DPLII already does DD5.1. The saddest thing of all is that an optical out is 50 cents (or less) and they have the nerve to price it at 250$ USD.

Dragona Akehi said:
Actually yes, I'm incredibly picky about my sound. Very much an audiophile. Ironic, isn't it?

(They do say that other senses get heightened when one is blind...)

etc. etc.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wait a minute ... I'm pretty sure you banned me once for bitching that the NGC didn't have a digital audio output.

Wow ... what has happened to you over the years?!?! :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, wait wait. So just to make sure, DD 5.1 mainly affects sound effects? Any difference with the music?

Oblivion said:
How exactly?
The same way? The channel separation just won't be quite as good, whether it's something pre-mixed (music) or mixed on-the-fly (sound effects).

Having said that, I have no idea how much thought game musicians put into their sound separation beyond left and right.

StevieP

Banned
Oblivion said:
How exactly?

If you have a decent surround amp, it's hard to notice. Yes, better channel separation is there on DD5.1, but to be honest, for audiophiles BOTH suck. As a gaming setup, as long as the PLII is properly done, it's hard to notice that the channel separation isn't quite as good. As I said, play any of Factor 5's titles on the Cube, or grab yourself RE4 - the surround effects and music sound just fine, both in front of and behind you.

Raistlin

Another issue may simply revolve around the DACs employed in the Wii.

Since they don't offer a digital audio out, you are forced to do the D->A conversion in the console. Let's just say they don't exactly spend much on this aspect of consoles.

Will it be noticeable? That depends on your system ... though anything above an entry-level receiver will have better DACs.

Onix said:
etc. etc.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Wait a minute ... I'm pretty sure you banned me once for bitching that the NGC didn't have a digital audio output.

Wow ... what has happened to you over the years?!?! :)

Har. Actually if my memory serves me, it was the amount and vehemence of bitching, along with the fact you had been trolling in general for a little while at the time. Does that help? :p

Diablos

Hmm, well, while I definitely take into account the bickering over how much of a rip off it may be considering the price, if I ever did buy a Wii, I wouldn't care about the surround experience since I just have my consoles hooked up to a stereo with two 40W speakers. :p

Raistlin

Dragona Akehi said:
Har. Actually if my memory serves me, it was the amount and vehemence of bitching, along with the fact you had been trolling in general for a little while at the time. Does that help? :p

I suppose :D

Top Bottom