• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so just finished watching this and all I can say is that I was disappointed that it wasn't for me. So many actors that I love, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Truglio, John H Benjamin, Bradley Cooper, but the humour just fell flat. I hadn't seen the movie, but I read the synopsis so I understood most of the character arcs, but it just wasn't for me. Oh well, it sounds like a lot of other people loved it, so I'm glad it was made at least. At least Netflix put out Bojack so they're still doing well in the comedy front in my opinion.

It's surprising to see people watch this without watching the movie first. You won't understand many of the jokes that way, even if you know what goes in the film. Seeing a joke executed and reading or hearing about it are 2 different things.

Not watching the movie, means from the first frame the show has less punch. They both start exactly the same way, with a campfire party. A lot of what's going in that opening is directly in reference to the movie's. The first funny thing is just seeing everyone older, and then you start to notice how much they copy and invert from the movie. And this is just the first scene.

So please, don't watch the show before the film.

It's surprising to see people watch this without watching the movie first. You won't understand many of the jokes that way, even if you know what goes in the film. Seeing a joke executed and reading or hearing about it are 2 different things.

Not watching the movie, means from the first frame the show has less punch. They both start exactly the same way, with a campfire party. A lot of what's going in that opening is directly in reference to the movie's. The first funny thing is just seeing everyone older, and then you start to notice how much they copy and invert from the movie. And this is just the first scene.

So please, don't watch the show before the film.

I'm almost 100% sure that I still wouldn't have enjoyed the show even if I'd seen the movie. In fact, I'd argue that if I watched the movie I never would have watched the show.

komplanen

Can someone remind me what the ending is supposed to reference? I watched the movie like two weeks ago but I must've missed something. Who was the hitch hiker?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Can someone remind me what the ending is supposed to reference? I watched the movie like two weeks ago but I must've missed something. Who was the hitch hiker?

It was Chris Pine's character, who survived getting shot in the chest and run over by a vehicle.

Just finished watching it, it wasn't perfect by any means and it got a bit too absurd at times but I still really liked it. Even now the premise of all of these actors playing 16 year olds is hilarious to me.

I'm almost 100% sure that I still wouldn't have enjoyed the show even if I'd seen the movie. In fact, I'd argue that if I watched the movie I never would have watched the show.

You still may have not liked the show but it definitely would have made it better. I don't understand why you wouldn't watch the movie first, it's on Netflix as well.

depths20XX

Watched this over during the weekend. Was actually much better than I was expecting it to be.

Felt like Gene's storyline was kind of lackluster though. I dunno, just wish they would have done it differently.

lawnchair

Banned
i'm not kidding, the part in the last episode with
everyone singing higher and higher
together almost brought a tear to my eye. my eyes stung.

I binged this series over the weekend and loved every minute of it. It's so ridiculous.
I've never seen the movie. I'll probably watch it some time this week. It honestly wasn't a big deal watching it without having seen the movie. There were a few jokes that obviously referenced something else, but they weren't distracting.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It was Chris Pine's character, who survived getting shot in the chest and run over by a vehicle.
But what is the significance of him going to New York? I haven't seen the movie in a while, so maybe I'm missing some sort of connection.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
But what is the significance of him going to New York? I haven't seen the movie in a while, so maybe I'm missing some sort of connection.

I saw the movie right before the series and I don't think NY was brought up at all. If it was, it was a really obscure reference

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I was able to check out the first episode yesterday and I liked it. Can't wait to watch more after my final tomorrow.

Yeah, I don't think that particular joke worked at all.
She's supposed to be 13 in the show, which just seems like it doesn't jive with the promiscuous counselor archetype she played in the film.

Well, it kind of works.
In the show, she "becomes a woman" when she gets her period, and she's "13" while the others are "15", only two years older. So in the movie she's making out with like every person (including another "kid" at the end, remember) because she's just switched from "boys are icky and should all die!!" to "hey I wanna kiss every boy" over the course of summer camp.

If anything, the gag in the show actually explains that one sequence at the end of the movie, which despite them "being kids" always felt weird to me until now.

I'm not really questioning the logic of it. It's Wet Hot and therefore deliberately absurd.

I'm just guessing there's an actual story behind
Abby getting promoted from camper to counselor that was either cut from the show or simply overlooked.

In any case,
Abby's transition from girl to woman was hilarious and ultimately worth any lapses in logic.

this is probably the wrong show to expect logic
Jon Hamm trying to explain himself to Jeaneane Garofalo
in the last episode is a perfect example.

Also, I second watching They Came Together if you haven't already. Wanderlust is also good but slightly less absurd.

Of course, and it would have been a more logical investment of your time to watch the movie first and see if you like the sense of humor in this series. You could see if it clicks in 1.5 hours instead of 4.

As for Abby
she is with all the counselors at the end of the show, too, when they raise the flag and Coop is blowing the horn. Not sure if they ever shot a seen explaining what was with Abby's status or what.

Also I recommend on a rewatch to put on the captions. There are some funny bits of dialogue in the background and it's pretty easy to miss every joke the first time through anyway.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

Do you not like anything from the people from The State?

Voidguts

Do you not like anything from the people from The State?

did you guys hear Louie (a popular skit from The State) screaming "I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT"? second to last episode, right before Neil and his girlfriend enter the cabin. shit made me bust up soo bad, no one else heard it :'(

did you guys hear Louie (a popular skit from The State) screaming "I WANNA DIP MY BALLS IN IT"? second to last episode, right before Neil and his girlfriend enter the cabin. shit made me bust up soo bad, no one else heard it :'(

yes, i had to rewind it real quick to make sure i heard what i thought i heard!

WHAS has always been a bit of an absurd comedy, and I understand why a lot of people wouldn't like it. I will even admit that the first time I saw it, I thought very little of it other than a few scenes that I thought were pretty funny. Then over the past few years, I kept finding myself throwing it on at different times for background noise, and it has eventually become something I really enjoy.

That being said, if you didn't like the movie, you would have known not to waste your time on the show, and if you did like the movie, you would have enjoyed the show a lot more. Either way, watching the original thing before any kind of sequel/prequel that gets released is probably the way to go normally.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.

I'm convinced that I'll never meet more than the two people I know in real life that know/enjoy The State.

I used to wonder who they filled their audience with when filming. Probably just unpaid MTV interns.

Vargas

honestly can't fathom watching this show without seeing the movie first.

I watched the whole series last night and watched the movie for the first time today. The only previous exposure I had to the movie was the song Higher and Higher which I heard in the Blood Bros. compilation a few years ago.

I found the show and the movie to be ridiculously funny.

I'm convinced that I'll never meet more than the two people I know in real life that know/enjoy The State.

I used to wonder who they filled their audience with when filming. Probably just unpaid MTV interns.

i saw the state reunion show at UCB los angeles in 2008 or 2009... everyone loved it! more people like the state than you'd think

Maximo

honestly can't fathom watching this show without seeing the movie first.
Didn't notice too many jokes go over my head it just felt like a parody of everything 80s, went back to the movie and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Tv Series. Will give it another watch through sometime soon after seeing the movie.

lawnchair

Banned
it's interesting to me that there are some people here who prefer the show to the movie. i understand, opinions, etc. but to me the movie is leaps and bounds ahead of the show.

there's a reason that so many actors came out of the woodwork to be in the show. it's because Wet Hot American Summer, the movie, is legendary. it came out fifteen years ago, and today we have a mini series chock full of amazingly talented people who all wanted to be a part of the thing. it's a testament to how killer the movie was, is, and always will be. in fifteen years people won't look back at the show and be like "Dang, that miniseries was wayyyyyyy ahead of it's time, it's a classic".

i thought the show had some great moments, but overall wasnt GREAT. i was just happy to go back to camp firewood and see some zany shit. i see the tv show as sort of a celebration of the hilarity, the fun, the absurdity and the genius that was the movie. it was so cool to see so many people come together to be in it. Wet Hot American Summer 4 LYFE.

edit: it's worth noting that i am an old man and WHAS the movie has been in my life for a long time, i've got really fond memories of it, for me there was nothing like it at the time. coming into it now, 2015, is probably a lot different. i undestand.

Watevaman

Didn't notice too many jokes go over my head it just felt like a parody of everything 80s, went back to the movie and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the Tv Series. Will give it another watch through sometime soon after seeing the movie.

Well the jokes don't go over your head if you haven't seen the movie, they just probably seem a lot more random than they would otherwise. A lot of the stuff in the show comes from the movie.

depths20XX

I actually didn't like some of the references they made to the movie. Some of them just came off as "haha, yeah, that was the same thing that happened in the movie"

For instance,
Victor being stopped by the log during the chase or the nurse doing the same "for your/my pussy" line.
Stuff just isn't as funny the second time around.

phanphare

Banned
I actually didn't like some of the references they made to the movie. Some of them just came off as "haha, yeah, that was the same thing that happened in the movie"

For instance,
Victor being stopped by the log during the chase or the nurse doing the same "for your/my pussy" line.
Stuff just isn't as funny the second time around.

but how about when Gene has to find a stick to "pole vault" over the log? lol

Bladenic

Sad to think Janeane Garofalo could've been a big star but it never happened for her.

I finished the show, and while I laughed more than the movie, still didn't do much for me. And I really don't get why. It should be a movie and show I love, but I didn't :/ oh well

I love the show and how ridiculous it got.

I also love how every single song was original for the show or movie. You can find them all here, including the stuff played by Paul Rudd on guitar in the different episodes:

https://soundcloud.com/craigwedren

They are also going to release the version of Higher and Higher sung by Chris Pine in the final episode!

Zebra

I finished the show, and while I laughed more than the movie, still didn't do much for me. And I really don't get why. It should be a movie and show I love, but I didn't :/ oh well

This was my initial reaction to the movie when I saw it ages ago. Then I came back to it again later... and I was still a bit iffy on it. But for some reason I kept wanting to come back to it again and again over time and it just sort clicked eventually. I don't even know how or why. I love it now, despite having that same reaction the first several times I saw the movie.

That doc on Netflix for the filming of the movie is great, highly recommend fans of it to check it out. Really cool seeing Wain and Showalter's process and temperament/interactions with everyone else. Janeane seems like such a kind and grateful soul <3 Loved her advice to the kids for how to be famous
meet Ben Stiller in a deli

AD Miles looks like somebody that would be a blast to hang with, and David Hyde Pierce looks predictably out of place and awkward around the rest of the cast lol. Seems like it was a tough shoot seeing as it rained for like 90 percent of the time they were there but also a fun one, lots of camaraderie amongst the cast and crew. Blows my mind that Bradley Cooper graduated from SAG like two days before they started shooting. Would love to be PA for a Wain production, guy knows his shit.

Bread

Banned
That doc on Netflix for the filming of the movie is great, highly recommend fans of it to check it out. Really cool seeing Wain and Showalter's process and temperament/interactions with everyone else. Janeane seems like such a kind and grateful soul <3 Loved her advice to the kids for how to be famous
meet Ben Stiller in a deli

AD Miles looks like somebody that would be a blast to hang with, and David Hyde Pierce looks predictably out of place and awkward around the rest of the cast lol. Seems like it was a tough shoot seeing as it rained for like 90 percent of the time they were there but also a fun one, lots of camaraderie amongst the cast and crew. Blows my mind that Bradley Cooper graduated from SAG like two days before they started shooting. Would love to be PA for a Wain production, guy knows his shit.
Did you understand SNAPS? I really want to know how to play that to fuck with my friends.

Did you understand SNAPS? I really want to know how to play that to fuck with my friends.

Not really, was trying to figure it out when Showalter was doing it to Wain, will have to try and rewatch and break it down again later. Something to do with the number of snaps and how they correspond to beginning letters, followed by what's said afterwards? Seems like a stumper of a puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom