• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
Not really, was trying to figure it out when Showalter was doing it to Wain, will have to try and rewatch and break it down again later. Something to do with the number of snaps and how they correspond to beginning letters, followed by what's said afterwards? Seems like a stumper of a puzzle.

fuck no. i wanted like an extra 30 min just to watch them play that
"snaps is the name of the game"
"snaps is not the name of the game"

then there are snaps made in between specific words of the next section

fuck i want to know so bad

Salsa

lol snaps is great, I used to play it with film school students

just google it people, it's a real, very old thing

phanphare

Banned
Hahaha me too. And I really want to know what it is.

it's just a thing where you basically troll people who don't know how to play by making them think you're doing some crazy shit

google it. you basically have two people, one person who's sending the message and one who's receiving. you use a combination of talking and snaps to convey letters and the other person will "guess" whatever you wrote down.

Beepos

I can suck my own dick

I lost it with Harry Jon Benjamin as he was.

Chris Pine going to New York what am I missing..

DeathyBoy

Banned
Anyone else digging the fridge brilliance that is Coop's arc across the while saga?

In the film we sympathise with Coop because Andy's a greasy Dick, but the TV show twists it by portraying Andy as likeable and Coop as a guy who went through someone stealing his girl and immediately switched to trying to do the same to Katie. Dude is such a beta asshole it's hilarious.

Kadayi

Banned
Powered through this then watched the movie afterwards (wwhich works in terms of sequence). An amusing idea, but it did rely upon a lot of good will with respect to the cast. Some people like Andy Rudd had aged pretty well, others less so. Also main take away was that Christopher Meloni and Jon Hamm could be brothers (seriously I was surprised they didn't capitalise on that). Impressed that they managed to get Bradley Cooper to reprise his role albeit they masked him up for some scenes with a double.

phanphare

Banned
So for newcomers, should I watch the film first or this?

honestly watch the movie, then watch it again. then watch it a third time.

then watch the show.

it takes a while for all of the humor to set in and repeat viewings is pretty much essential imo. like, you'll definitely miss some of the best gags in the movie if you only watch it once and some of those gags are either winked at or brought back in full for the show.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ah, now I'm a bit sad that I watched this before the movie (which I haven't seen yet, but definitely will ASAP). Oh well!

Ah, now I'm a bit sad that I watched this before the movie (which I haven't seen yet, but definitely will ASAP). Oh well!

Well you'll probably want to watch the show again right after. They make a nice cycle.

As for where could they go with another show? They can do anything they want. In an interview Wain said that every day at camp is as crazy as what we've seen so far. They could do pretty much anything with the character relationships. It's not like the series has to make sense.

i've got two more episodes left but this show is sooooooo much better than netflix's arrested development revival. and this had an even harder cast to get together (it shows too, the big ones are rarely seen together in frame)

it's pretty hilarious. not as good as the movie and it has it's problems (slattery kind of fell flat imo, it should have been shorter too) but i'm finding it pretty fun.

i've got two more episodes left but this show is sooooooo much better than netflix's arrested development revival. and this had an even harder cast to get together (it shows too, the big ones are rarely seen together in frame)

it's pretty hilarious. not as good as the movie and it has it's problems (slattery kind of fell flat imo, it should have been shorter too) but i'm finding it pretty fun.

yep. i had some problems with the show but it was pretty solid and some instant classic moments. arrested development season 4 was just bad in my opinion. i honestly didn't even finish the whole season. i got through about 9 episodes and just moved on. might go back and try it again though

yep. i had some problems with the show but it was pretty solid and some instant classic moments. arrested development season 4 was just bad in my opinion. i honestly didn't even finish the whole season. i got through about 9 episodes and just moved on. might go back and try it again though

people are gonna say it pays off when it all comes together in the end but it really doesn't. such a waste of time imo. they managed the incredible feat of making an episode of arrested development feel long and boring. there were a few fun jokes in there though

Anustart

They should call it roundtine. Jar is round, mug is round.

Other things better than the AD revival *furiously types up list of 1000s of shows*

Anyone else digging the fridge brilliance that is Coop's arc across the while saga?

In the film we sympathise with Coop because Andy's a greasy Dick, but the TV show twists it by portraying Andy as likeable and Coop as a guy who went through someone stealing his girl and immediately switched to trying to do the same to Katie. Dude is such a beta asshole it's hilarious.

The show turns so many of the movie plots upside down.

Such as making all the shit with Abby so ridiculously uncomfortable. As well as making you realize Jo Trulio's character is the Ladie's Man pretending to be a virgin instead of vice versa (the entire "YOU ARE A LOSER!" scene in the film).

RoadHazard

Gold Member

people are gonna say it pays off when it all comes together in the end but it really doesn't. such a waste of time imo. they managed the incredible feat of making an episode of arrested development feel long and boring. there were a few fun jokes in there though

It does come together beautifully in the end, and it's awesome. Not as good as the first three seasons (those are just pure brilliance), but still great. But that's not a subject for this thread...

Kyou

I loved the show. Was really hoping the ending would be:

That the camp goes bankrupt and the second day of camp is the last day of camp

Undead

I watched the movie last night for the first time and I'm not sure what to think.
On one hand some bits were funny but I couldn't see the point of certain scenes and character reactions, they were just so out of place, also doesn't help they have a bunch of people who LOOK over 30 playing/acting like 16 year olds.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I watched the movie last night for the first time and I'm not sure what to think.
On one hand some bits were funny but I couldn't see the point of certain scenes and character reactions, they were just so out of place, also doesn't help they have a bunch of people who LOOK over 30 playing/acting like 16 year olds.

I have only watched the show yet, but I thought it was funny as shit how obviously older they really were, especially with how often characters would make sure to point out things like "I'm SIXTEEN YEARS OLD" in various situations.

That's like... the point. Are you unfamiliar with how parody works?

But that's not parody.

It's just them saying they are 16-17 but really 40.

That's literally the joke. They aren't making fun of anything. Except for the fact that they were all too old in the original.

I have no idea why people are getting hung up on this. It's supposed to be a comedy.

But that's not parody.

It's just them saying they are 16-17 but really 40.

That's literally the joke. They aren't making fun of anything. Except for the fact that they were all too old in the original.

I have no idea why people are getting hung up on this. It's supposed to be a comedy.

it's a parody of literally every hollywood production about teens where the actors are actually in their 20s. except in here it's laughably apparent how old they look.

In regards to the Arrested Development talk in this thread. I just really don't understand this insistence of people praising something by tearing something else down. Why?

I personally love both AD Season 4 and WHAS: FDoC. I see no point in really comparing them. Very different approaches, but both brilliant. And just like all of AD, Season 4 benefits very much so from a rewatch.

In regards to the Arrested Development talk in this thread. I just really don't understand this insistence of people praising something by tearing something else down. Why?

I personally love both AD Season 4 and WHAS: FDoC. I see no point in really comparing them. Very different approaches, but both brilliant. And just like all of AD, Season 4 benefits very much so from a rewatch.

i don't get how this comparison seems so crazy. two netflix revivals involving huge ensemble casts. cult classics. and made after a long period of time has elapsed.

and nah man, agree to disagree. season 4 was so bad imo, kind of forgot what made AD such a good show in the first place.

i don't get how this comparison seems so crazy. two netflix revivals involving huge ensemble casts. cult classics. and made after a long period of time has elapsed.

and nah man, agree to disagree. season 4 was so bad imo, kind of forgot what made AD such a good show in the first place.

That isn't much at all to compare. Most of that has nothing to do with what the shows are even about. What does Netflix have to do with anything? A lot of things are cult classics and share nothing else (like horror films and comedies). The time lapse was approached so differently in both shows. The ensemble cast is all they really have in common and the fact that they are comedies, but that means next to nothing because humor is so subjective and there are an immense amount of genres. WHAS is easy to categorize as parody and, well I don't really know how to describe AD. It's a lot of different styles of comedy. I guess just comedy works.

But the approach to season 4 and FDoC is very different. S4 was an anthology show were everything links together and overlaps and it's continuing the story 7 years later with a very tight continuity. I don't think there is anything else like that. FDoC is serialized, a prequel, and where continuity and logic don't matter. FDoC has all the freedom in the world to do whatever. Continuity is there to strictly make a joke about. AD has to show what happened over 7 years worth of time and set up a story to bring all the characters back together to the present.

As far as season 4 forgetting what made the show great. That's something anyone could say because it's not really something that can be proven. It's just an opinion. Someone could say the same about FDoC. All you have to do to say that is you did not find the FDoC funny because they are here to make you laugh. If they fail at that, they they forgot what made them great. Nonetheless, AD S4 still used very tight continuity, an ensemble cast, all different styles of humor from vulgar to subtle, densely packed episodes with jokes that pay off way down the line or way early in the line on a rewatch. It has all the hallmarks of previous seasons, but it was forced into an anthology series by the circumstances of all the years passed. Everyone ranted about the ensemble not interacting enough, but they were rarely ever all together in the first 3 seasons.

And another thing I'll bring up about AD, is every season, when it aired, was criticized by the fanbase as being worse than the last. I watched every season when it aired and I can remember fans saying season 2 lost what made season 1 great, and Season 3 was weak and it was good the show was cancelled.

It will be interesting to see what the re-cut Season 4 is like, but I don't imagine it'll change anyone's mind.

Anyway, I love Wet Hot American Summer and Arrested Development. Both of them getting a longer life makes me happy. I'll be there for whatever comes next.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That isn't much at all to compare. Most of that has nothing to do with what the shows are even about. What does Netflix have to do with anything? A lot of things are cult classics and share nothing else (like horror films and comedies). The time lapse was approached so differently in both shows. The ensemble cast is all they really have in common and the fact that they are comedies, but that means next to nothing because humor is so subjective and there are an immense amount of genres. WHAS is easy to categorize as parody and, well I don't really know how to describe AD. It's a lot of different styles of comedy. I guess just comedy works.

But the approach to season 4 and FDoC is very different. S4 was an anthology show were everything links together and overlaps and it's continuing the story 7 years later with a very tight continuity. I don't think there is anything else like that. FDoC is serialized, a prequel, and where continuity and logic don't matter. FDoC has all the freedom in the world to do whatever. Continuity is there to strictly make a joke about. AD has to show what happened over 7 years worth of time and set up a story to bring all the characters back together to the present.

As far as season 4 forgetting what made the show great. That's something anyone could say because it's not really something that can be proven. It's just an opinion. Someone could say the same about FDoC. All you have to do to say that is you did not find the FDoC funny because they are here to make you laugh. If they fail at that, they they forgot what made them great. Nonetheless, AD S4 still used very tight continuity, an ensemble cast, all different styles of humor from vulgar to subtle, densely packed episodes with jokes that pay off way down the line or way early in the line on a rewatch. It has all the hallmarks of previous seasons, but it was forced into an anthology series by the circumstances of all the years passed. Everyone ranted about the ensemble not interacting enough, but they were rarely ever all together in the first 3 seasons.

And another thing I'll bring up about AD, is every season, when it aired, was criticized by the fanbase as being worse than the last. I watched every season when it aired and I can remember fans saying season 2 lost what made season 1 great, and Season 3 was weak and it was good the show was cancelled.

It will be interesting to see what the re-cut Season 4 is like, but I don't imagine it'll change anyone's mind.

Anyway, I love Wet Hot American Summer and Arrested Development. Both of them getting a longer life makes me happy. I'll be there for whatever comes next.

Word, my man.

Quick

Banned
I just watched WHAS last night. Gonna dive in to the series tonight, I think.

I saw the movie in bits and pieces long ago, and I thought it was weird as hell. Same feelings now that I've seen it in full, but it's hilarious absurdity.

Now, can someone direct me to the best place to get a Betty Jane Tavern shirt.

Anyone watching the Wet Hot Documentary that was just uploaded?

Yeah, I watched it last night. It was cute and short and gave a fun feel for how much the actors bonded and really put their heart into the production.
Plus there's a tongue-in-cheek section at the end with the actors in costume and character saying what becomes of their character's lives.

Agree completely. People love to dogpile on season 4, it really is something that deserves a rewatch due to the shift in style/continuity, it's initially jarring but quite satisfying once you give it a chance on its own merits. I hated it on first watch but revisiting it months later it became one of my favorite seasons, Hurwitz really is a master storyteller, so much subtlety and attention to detail packed into each episode. Really hope they continue to make more and the sooner the better.

tauroxd

Very well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom