• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp |OT| I want you inside me on July 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

I'm just some guy, who farts in your face and makes you smile...

This was the weakest part of the series for me, as well. Chris Pine just isn't funny.

He is funny enough in comparison to the failed meat men in action movies of the last few years.

aka Jai Courtney and friends.

I wonder why Marguerite Moreau didn't become a bigger name in Hollywood.

She's gorgeous, and I think she's a solid actor.

She was my first "crush" so to speak when Mighty Ducks came out, and to this day I consider her one of the most beautiful actresses around. She's gotten better with age.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I'm gonna guess you never watched the movie.
No I didn't, but reading through I feel like I should so I might do that first. Don't get me wrong, I want to like this but it just isn't clicking.

15 minutes of the first episode is definitely enough to form an opinion on the entire season.
Yes I realised watching such a short amount of just the first episode is a terrible way of making an opinion, but if I have to sit through two or three episodes to "get it" then there really is no point in me watching it. Just like saying "the game gets good after 40 hours trust me!"

This was the weakest part of the series for me, as well. Chris Pine just isn't funny.

it's just a really odd casting choice. like i think it could have been funny if they had a different actor (maybe one of the guys from the original movie) play a different character or something. it just wasn't funny at all

No I didn't, but reading through I feel like I should so I might do that first. Don't get me wrong, I want to like this but it just isn't clicking.

Yes I realised watching such a short amount of just the first episode is a terrible way of making an opinion, but if I have to sit through two or three episodes to "get it" then there really is no point in me watching it. Just like saying "the game gets good after 40 hours trust me!"

yeah they should have had a paul blart mall cop cameo in the first 10 mins to really reel in the more astute comedy fans. a real misstep by Dwain

Just finished, really glad this exists and that it turned out as successful as it did. Not everything hits and some of the storylines drag a little but there's more funny material for just a movie, so happy it's in this format in the end. Already finding new jokes and bits I missed first time around scrubbing through. Some memorable stuff:
- "Hey party people in the house, it's me, DJ Ski Mask! Otherwise known as Ben the theater counselor. It's me! Here we go!" "Hi Ben"
I loved that bit. It kinda felt like you could see the seams in how the series was filmed.

I really loved one of the last lines in the show.
"By the end of Summer, you're going to make them feel 15 years younger." I didn't realize the movie was 15 years old. D:

Salsa

think im gonna rewatch right now. Im thinking back on some subtle bits and laughing alone

like the crotch "dance" andy and katie are rehearsing for the play. laughed my ass off at the music used too

Sanjuro

think im gonna rewatch right now. Im thinking back on some subtle bits and laughing alone

like the crotch "dance" andy and katie are rehearsing for the play. laughed my ass off at the music used too

I have 2 more episodes to go. I think keeping up with David Wain's filmography helps. Outside that, it's a slow roast, but solid so far.

yeah, can't stress this enough. If you have seen the movie recently, the series makes a hell of a lot more sense and is a lot funnier to boot. I would imagine, not having seen the movie recently would make the series a lot less accessible.

Sanjuro

yeah, can't stress this enough. If you have seen the movie recently, the series makes a hell of a lot more sense and is a lot funnier to boot. I would imagine, not having seen the movie recently would make the series a lot less accessible.

Untrue to a degree. He makes references to his other films outside of WH.

Einbroch

Banned
Episode 6:
"You mean if we wanted less than five million, you'd say no?"

The whole lawyer v lawyer scene is a treat.

Lovin' it.

Grinchy

Banned
Just finished the season and I loved it. I never even knew about the movie until a few days before the show was going to be viewable, so it was all great timing for me. Loved the movie and loved the show.

Bizazedo

I watched the movie earlier in July to due to hype and didn't really think it was good / thought it was overhyped, but this was pretty funny.

inm8num2

I'm done - that was awesome. So happy this happened. Just the right length, too, with 8 episodes. Each character gets his/her time to shine and the episodes never drags.

Now I want to watch the movie...then watch First Day of Camp again after that.

Corpekata

Banned
In addition to Rudd and Banks' agelessness I was also surprised Ken Marino seems to be in pretty good shape these days still.

Bread

Banned
It became too absurd.
giphy.gif

lawnchair

Banned
on the topic of the aging of the actors .. jeneane garoffolo(sp)'s surgically modified face doesn't look so hot. pretty creepy in fact.

tauroxd

Just finished, really glad this exists and that it turned out as successful as it did. Not everything hits and some of the storylines drag a little but there's more funny material for just a movie, so happy it's in this format in the end. Already finding new jokes and bits I missed first time around scrubbing through. Some memorable stuff:
- The scene where Donna gives Coop a shofar and that whole storyline in episode 3. "Wow, that's such an odd way to wrap a present" "that's just, it's easier that way for multiple takes"
- The forgettable counselor with the black hair. They cut to the same shot of him saying "tell us!" three times before JJ tells his spooky Eric story
- Gene and the tomatoes apron. Gail and Gene/Jeff's wedding. Gene, The Falcon and Beth at the end. Gene.
- The cold opens for Rock & Roll World and Associate Professor Newman. I'd watch a Rock & Roll World spinoff show.
- Michael Cera's standing up to the U.S. lawyers. So out of place but oddly funny as Jim Stansel. His "I don't think so" delivery cracks me up
- The payoff at the end of Electro City: "It's the guvna! He says.. execute him!" the crowd's reaction to Andy and Katie nailing the pose, "Electro City is such a cruel place to live"
- Victor humping Neil's ear. Victor and Neil calling Gene. Victor and Rhonda at the party: "What do you do for fun, huh" "You know, like, pretty much... like fucking and stuff like that." Victor.
- "Hey party people in the house, it's me, DJ Ski Mask! Otherwise known as Ben the theater counselor. It's me! Here we go!" "Hi Ben"

Seeing this summed up it makes me love even more the season!

I watched three episodes, liked it a lot, decided to check out the movie again as it's been a while, damn, makes it so much funnier when you remember all the subtle references. I, for one, love the dumb pottery smashing sound they overuse in the show and the movie

tauroxd

Agreed. One of my favorite things is how they tied Gail's story together with the movie...it was genius

I was afraid of the way her story was going because
I thought they were not gonna make possible to have Ron as her husband in 8 episodes.
but at the end it was done in a funny way.

I was afraid of the way her story was going because
I thought they were not gonna make possible to have Ron as her husband in 8 episodes.
but at the end it was done in a funny way.

I love that over one summer she was
married or engaged to (at least) three men, and working on a fourth (well, boy) by the last day of camp.

If anyone cares, there's a Behind the Scenes documentary of the movie on Netflix called Hurricane of Fun. It's a little over an hour, but it's great spending more time with these people.

Salsa

honestly the rock and roll world cold open might be my favorite scene

Paul Scheer just stole it as the most campy compliant dude ever. repeating everything everyone else says out loud in the background. the wig helped

"yeah stick to your payola piece hah'

'oh here we go we gotta humor her'

'what is this a joke? a summer camp in maine? Its a funny joke but if its not a joke...'

'the right clothes? uhhh they dont make those kinds of clothes'

'- dave you owe me 20 bucks

- yeah well you owe me 20 bucks so

- haha we'll call it even

- we're gonna call it even on the bet' (I think this exchange and this random ass background line at the end is the thing that made me laugh the hardest in the show, no lie)

'you made a mistake'

'its not our beat. its Rock and Roll'

*10 seconds later*

'she's got a point, we gotta cover the world, thats in the title, Rock and Roll World'

I realize its not necessarely an on the nose laugh out loud bit but I keep thinking about it and laughing like a dumbass. I already mentioned it but that whole scene is fucking amazing. The sort of thing that Wain is really really good at.

E the Shaggy

For me, the funniest part of the series was the
crank call/chase scene with Victor and Gene.

Chris Meloni just skipping after him was so insane.

E the Shaggy

4th episode was the best so far. best part was the whole bit with
schwartzman talking into the walkie talkie and then directing the parents to go talk to the scarecrow

"He probably just recorded his voice on a tape recorder and that's what you're playing for us now!"

Karu

My favourite part of the series. Insane indeed. I lost it... And then the scene in the cabin, Marino hangin on the door, oh my god. :D :D

Catdaddy

Watched the movie and the series over the weekend, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Glad the movie was on Netflix as well, we started watching the series cold, then realized we were missing something so watched the movie first. Up until the series, never even heard of the movie, lots of super funny lines along with some that fell flat but overall a good watch and not to long.

Is this a one and done, or is there a possibility of a “Day Two”?

Salsa

Is this a one and done, or is there a possibility of a “Day Two”?

eh I bet they do it. not sure if soon tho considering how hard it must be to get that cast together

so far they only covered the first and last day of camp, so there's room for whatever

wain's response everywhere has been 'maybe!'

If anyone cares, there's a Behind the Scenes documentary of the movie on Netflix called Hurricane of Fun. It's a little over an hour, but it's great spending more time with these people.

i know what im watching tonight

yah the
skipping
had me rolling. thats when you know your badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom