• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What about gaming in 2017 would blow someone from 2007's mind?

Phediuk

I guess I'll get VR out of the way right now. Stuff like Google Earth, Superhot VR and Elite Dangerous would have fucking gobsmacked me back then. I thought I would have maybe seen stuff like that within my lifetime.

Shoeless

At least graphically, showing Horizon Zero Dawn off might make someone in 2007 call bullshot on it. Same probably goes for the upcoming God of War game.

Prompto

Banned
VR, Pokemon Go, Nintendo on mobile in general, Uncharted being the highest selling exclusive on consoles, and no Half-Life 3 yet.

Hoo-doo

Banned
An iPad Pro playing graphically intensive games.

I think people often underestimate the sheer magical feat of engineering that modern tablets are. We are so accustomed to it now that we fail to realize that we are living the damn Star Trek future.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
VR, the rise of mobile gaming and the fall of Nintendo.

Everything else, not so much.

Mobile gaming in general. It's amazing how far we've come since the original iPhone reveal.

Probably this. Back then when someone talked about mobile gaming it was shit like the nGage and Snake, outside of Japan anyway.

FF Versus XIII/FFXV, Team Ico's third game and Persona 5 all having only just come out would probably be pretty funny news too.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The current Smash Bros roster.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
An iPad Pro playing graphically intensive games.

I think people often underestimate the sheer magical feat of engineering that modern tablets are. We are so accustomed to it now that we fail to realize that we are living the damn Star Trek future.

The iPhone itself wasn't out until 2007 (and really not a major thing or another year after that).

Also all this talk about TLG / FF15, KH2 came out in 2006 and was one of the better selling games of the year... and KH3 still not being a thing would be pretty confusing, even for a franchise that is just confusing to its core.

Speaking for my 2007 self, I don't think anything mentioned would've done it. Maybe VR.

I'll tell you what would, though not in a good way: the size and frequency of game patches.

Is nothing an acceptable answer? I mean looking back at 2007, we saw gems like Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted and Civ 4. There really hasn't been anything done so amazingly spectacular that tops these games, let alone something that would blow someone's mind. This thread actually makes me cringe and think to myself, "man that's all the industry has done in 10 years?"

bj00rn_

Banned
Same as you op. Elite Dangerous in VR would most likely make my eyes tear up.

That and Vive room scale.

2007 was one of the best years in PC gaming btw..

Top Bottom