• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Nintendo's teams working on now

I see. And what does this mean for the just revived Heart Beat? Will that be Nintendo-exclusive since it's ran by the head of GS as well (full circle of course).
No clue. My guess is Heartbeat will just be the label used for Denpa Men iOS/Android or something.

Sort of like how back in the day Camelot used to use "Sonic Co." for Saturn and "Camelot" for PlayStation.

RaidenZR

Hold on to yo butts, rumors at 4chan and GameFAQs (err) are buzzing that Monster Games is making Diddy Kong Racing for Wii U.

Let me preface with the fact that I am a fan of the original Diddy Kong Racing. That said, if this turns out to be true and it was greenlit before an F-Zero game, then somebody at Nintendo done fucked up.

hatchx

Banned
Let me preface with the fact that I am a fan of the original Diddy Kong Racing. That said, if this turns out to be true and it was greenlit before an F-Zero game, then somebody at Nintendo done fucked up.

As fars as sales and general business go, no, they would have fucked up if they went with F-Zero over Diddy Kong Racing. DKR has 50x the market appeal that F-Zero does....

.....hugs copy of F-Zero GX

Oddduck

Business wise, Diddy Kong Racing will sell a whole lot more copies than F-Zero ever would.

RaidenZR

As fars as sales and general business go, no, they would have fucked up if they went with F-Zero over Diddy Kong Racing. DKR has 50x the market appeal that F-Zero does....

.....hugs copy of F-Zero GX

Business wise, Diddy Kong Racing will sell a whole lot more copies than F-Zero ever would.

Yeah, no kidding. I'm speaking as a gamer and nothing else in this instance. I can also remember very well that when Diddy Kong Racing came out it was treated to a very nice advertising and marketing campaign. There was a long commercial run and lots of in-store displays and demos at the time for it. They created good mindshare for it by sheer force and needing a big holiday title to fill the void.

They've never bothered doing any strong advertising for any of the F-Zero games, nevermind giving it any sort of extra push. If they ever decided to alongside a new title, they might generate some new interest as opposed to the expected legacy following.

What's Heart Beat? A developer? A game? Google just gives me results unrelated to games.
It was Manabu Yamana's dev studio back before Genius Sonority. They worked on DQ6 and DQ3r for SFC and DQ7 and DQ4r for PS1. Yamana recently announced Heartbeat would be starting back up (which is weird, since they essentially became GS).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Diddy Kong Racing doesn't make much sense if Mario Kart U is coming next year. F-Zero would make more sense as a second racing game in the near-ish future since it would be a lot less similar.

But maybe I'm biased.

Diddy Kong Racing doesn't make much sense if Mario Kart U is coming next year.

No but it makes sense if Mario Kart isn't coming next year.
But Monster Games are pretty much guaranteed to be working on a racing game as that's all they ever do! Except Pilotwings resort obviously. Pilotwings was finished 2 years ago now.

Oddduck

Not saying this rumor is true, but Monster Games would kinda make sense for DKR. They did the truck driving game with Excitetruck/Excitebots. They did the airplane game with Pilotwings. Now they bring driving on road and driving by air together in DKR.

Not a crazy rumor. Not saying it's true either. But not a far fetched idea. And after what Donkey Kong Country Returns sold in 2010, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo wanted to get the DK franchise out there more, even if its not DKC.

BowieZ

Banned
They've never bothered doing any strong advertising for any of the F-Zero games, nevermind giving it any sort of extra push. If they ever decided to alongside a new title, they might generate some new interest as opposed to the expected legacy following.
You could consider Nintendo Land a push for F-Zero so it would be logical to follow through with the fully fledged retail title. Unless they're saving Kirby, Starfox etc for DLC, I think it's interesting they felt there was value in choosing F-Zero as the racer in the collection.

But it's best not to get too carried away with that kind of logic when sales and profit almost always have the final say.

Mariolee

Hold on to yo butts, rumors at 4chan and GameFAQs (err) are buzzing that Monster Games is making Diddy Kong Racing for Wii U.

I can post the sources, but I don't know if they allow GFAQs and 4chan rumors?

The extra scary part?

I was dreaming of a DKR2 for Wii U last night. o_O Only it was by Retro, but had leaked art and... toys.

I hope there's a Donkey Kong Racing eventually too.

Malvingt2

The extra scary part?

I was dreaming of a DKR2 for Wii U last night. o_O Only it was by Retro, but had leaked art and... toys.

wut lol... I would love this..

Randdalf

Yoshis-Land-Wii-U.jpg

Remember this leak?

I thought that was just a list of fake games they made up so they could demonstrate Miiverse before announcing anything.

Sadist

I just wish that Iwata would drop the bomb :(

I need my Retro Studios fix, quick. More Wii U titles. The 3DS side is pretty neat at this point.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
What kind of decisions do you mean? The 3DS pricing, I would guess, but I was curious as to what else.

I think Nintendo consumers in general should be raising hell the way Nintendo has overcharged and ridiculously mismanaged DRM and Virtual Console. You have to buy the game essentially three times between Wii/3DS/Wii U. It is beyond comprehension that these lazy rom dumps are being sold at premium prices and minimum services. Looking at SONY's DRM management, Cross Buy, Cross Play, and Playstation Plus and they are just light yeards ahead.

I also think the hardware is equally short sighted in scope, but that is a whole other can of worms. On top of that, Iwata has had a long time to restructure and expand Nintendo for the next generation of development. It should happen next year, but will it be a matter of too little too late.

Nintendo in fact originally coined thd term 2nd party in 1995 to help explain their exclusive "special relationship" with Rare at the time. I believe it was done when they were doing media outreach for DKC2 and I remember the term being used specifically in EGM and Gamefan back then. At the time Nintendo didn't own a stake in Rare either, though a couple years later they did and they also applied the term to other exclusive external western studios they took minority stakes in like Silicon Knights and Leftfield Productions.

I think under that definition (platform exclusivity, minority stake) the only company you could really call a Nintendo 2nd party today is Genius Sonority.

It was a matter of semantics then, and it still is. Miyamoto wanted to distinguish the Japanese produced first-party games from those developed overseas at RARE. SEGA tried to do the same thing when they approached several European developers, but instead used the phrase "1.5 party". The terms still exist in some form of geek venacular, but it really is nonsensical. A first-party developer is transient, not permanent. All it means is x developer is working on game or games for the hardware platformer maker. A third party developer is simply a developer creating a game for a licensee publisher. None of these are permanent. People think these classifications of ownership are great for these neat organized lists. There is no better example than Nintendo itself. Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory have no formal ownership but develop nothing but first-party games. Monster Games has no formal ownership but has developed nothing but first-party games since 2005. Meanwhile, owned subsidiaries like Brownie Brown, Monolith Soft, and Nd Cube have developed about 50% of their catalogue for third party publishers.

Some games are developed in favor of buzz marketing rather than pure sales. Bayonetta 2 is a classic example. It is going to sell on the lower end of Nintendo published software, but it exists to kind of push gamers and creators to think differently of Nintendo.

I think Nintendo consumers in general should be raising hell the way Nintendo has overcharged and ridiculously mismanaged DRM and Virtual Console. You have to buy the game essentially three times between Wii/3DS/Wii U. It is beyond comprehension that these lazy rom dumps are being sold at premium prices and minimum services. Looking at SONY's DRM management, Cross Buy, Cross Play, and Playstation Plus and they are just light yeards ahead.

I've been bitching about this in the relevant Club Nintendo surveys everytime I buy a VC title.

Some games are developed in favor of buzz marketing rather than pure sales. Bayonetta 2 is a classic example. It is going to sell on the lower end of Nintendo published software, but it exists to kind of push gamers and creators to think differently of Nintendo.

Exactly this! Bayonetta 2 (and Razor's Edge, to some extent) exists to have consumers and developers/publishers reconsider what titles Nintendo is willing to fund/publish and help lessen the overall kid-only stigma around their systems.
If F-Zero, Takamaru, and so on were announced, that would be their purpose as well.

Caramello

I think Nintendo's big games for the holidays on Wii U next year will be Retro's next game, Wii Sports U and a 3D Mario.

2014 will bring Mario Kart in the first half and Super Smash Bros. in the second half

It was a matter of semantics then, and it still is. Miyamoto wanted to distinguish the Japanese produced first-party games from those developed overseas at RARE. SEGA tried to do the same thing when they approached several European developers, but instead used the phrase "1.5 party". The terms still exist in some form of geek venacular, but it really is nonsensical. A first-party developer is transient, not permanent. All it means is x developer is working on game or games for the hardware platformer maker. A third party developer is simply a developer creating a game for a licensee publisher. None of these are permanent. People think these classifications of ownership are great for these neat organized lists. There is no better example than Nintendo itself. Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory have no formal ownership but develop nothing but first-party games. Monster Games has no formal ownership but has developed nothing but first-party games since 2005. Meanwhile, owned subsidiaries like Brownie Brown, Monolith Soft, and Nd Cube have developed about 50% of their catalogue for third party publishers.
Oh, I totally agree, it's a pretty meaningless definition really. I do remember Sega using 1.5 party for Visual Concepts and No Cliché in the DC era too, which is an even more ridiculous term.

I'd like to point out that Intelligent Systems has also worked on 3rd party games more recently too though (Dragon Quest Wars, DQ I•II•III Collection).

ohlawd

The extra scary part?

I was just playing DKR earlier o.o

Working on the Silver Coin Challenges, what a pain in the ass.

So, for those who missed it, there will be a Pokemon related announcement coming on the 8th of January, according to the end of a JP Black & White 2 commercial. I would say it's probably game related - whether it's a Gen 6 Pokemon, game, or a new Wii U battle sim, or something else.

http://twitpic.com/bqdjp7

The latest information from 'Pokemon' to tell everyone!! Planed to be announced January 8th 2013.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Diddy Kong Racing Wii U?

Sign me up! But it's going to be weird since I assume they can't use ANYONE from the original game bar Diddy (and Krunch) and Dixie and Tiny from DS.

Also, does anyone think Nintendo is developing a new Takamaru game? Ever since the reveal of it as an attraction in Nintendo Land, I definitely feel they might be looking to bring him back. And there's multiple directions to go with the franchise too that I couldn't really peg anyone doing it specifically.

DjRoomba

Banned
Same. I loved Mario Galaxy, but I don't need a third game of it. Though I have no idea where they would take the franchise from there.

Super Mario U
Like a next gen SM64 remake
Set in Peach's Castle again. Jump through paintings again.
Galaxy/normal levels. Back to the more open world style of Sunshine and sm64.
Thats what I want them to do
Or maybe they will again surprise us with a new mechanic

Watch Da Birdie

I want a playable Bowser.

Basically a bulkier character with a shell-spin and fireball attack.

That'd be awesome.

Watch Da Birdie

Here's another crazy thing for me, but after Sakurai finishes up Smash 4 I'd love him to go back and attempt the racing genre again by creating a spiritual sequel to Kirby's Air Ride featuring the Kid Icarus IP (or simply a Kirby Air Ride Sequel) as that game had some neat ideas in it.

BD1

Banned
Also, does anyone think Nintendo is developing a new Takamaru game? Ever since the reveal of it as an attraction in Nintendo Land, I definitely feel they might be looking to bring him back. And there's multiple directions to go with the franchise too that I couldn't really peg anyone doing it specifically.

I've been saying for a few months now that I expect a new Takamaru/Murasame Castle game for Wii U. It's not like Nintendo hasn't tried to ressurect the character before, they cut a deal with Tecmo Koei to put him in Samurai Warriors 3 on Wii.

Ancient Castles. Ninja Armies. Alien Invaders. Samurai. How can this game not happen!?!

Watch Da Birdie

Pretty sure he said Wave Race and 1080° would be represented in Wii Sports U. Or something similar.

I'm pretty sure that was in the Nintendo Land Iwata Asks where those franchises were originally planned to be in Nintendo Land, I think in the spot that F-Zero took?

I'm pretty sure that was in the Nintendo Land Iwata Asks where those franchises were originally planned to be in Nintendo Land, I think in the spot that F-Zero took?

It was him, but it appears to be "speculation."

I agree that Wii Sports U will be one of the biggest games at E3 this year. And I also think you will pretty much see a Wave Race and 1080 game within it. Featuring Miis of course, and probably called Wii Jet Skiing, and Wii Snowboarding, but 6-8 tightly designed courses each with the associated soundtracks and tropes. A much more sophisticated product.

In fact, he said it in this thread as well and I didn't even notice. :p Good to see he's back from defending the plans and coding for EADT and Retro's game.

It was him, but it appears to be "speculation."

In fact, he said it in this thread as well and I didn't even notice. :p Good to see he's back from defending the plans and coding for EADT and Retro's game.

I could have sworn there was a quote from before e3 where he was expecting mutliple racing games to be announced. Maybe my memory is frazzled.

While his speculation isn't always accurate, I have a feeling that he's onto something and Wii Sports U will be a much more fleshed out game than its predecessor was.

I could have sworn there was a quote from before e3 where he was expecting mutliple racing games to be announced. Maybe my memory is frazzled.

While his speculation isn't always accurate, I have a feeling that he's onto something and Wii Sports U will be a much more fleshed out game than its predecessor was.

I would definitely welcome it. Wii Sports was a blast with family, and a better version of it would be even better. Let's just hope it doesn't take too much stage time away from Retro and EADT's games at E3.

Roo

Diddy Kong Racing doesn't make much sense if Mario Kart U is coming next year. F-Zero would make more sense as a second racing game in the near-ish future since it would be a lot less similar.

But maybe I'm biased.

They just released Mario Kart 7 last year so I wouldn't count on it
Q3 2014 at the earliest imo

Roo

They released 3 Mario platformers within a years time. 2 with months between them. Anything is possible.

Different teams
and you can't really compare the work done with the NSMB series and a full 3D racer game
Not saying it is not possible but they usually release a Mario Kart game every three years
I don't see it changing this time especially when they'll have more options available

Different teams
and you can't really compare the work done with the NSMB series and a full 3D racer game
Not saying it is not possible but they usually release a Mario Kart game every three years
I don't see it changing this time especially when they'll have more options available

I'm pretty convinced they've been working on MKU for a while now. I think Nintendo has enough resources to be working simultaneously on two games in the same franchise, especially an evergreen one. I don't know, it may just be my hopes getting in the way.

imjust1n

Banned
Please no Mario Galaxy 3 Nintendo if you are thinking of doing that I have not bought the 2nd one and barley play the first one. I want a new series : )

Top Bottom