• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best Japanese PS1 games that never made it to the US?

meppi

nice
how do the donpachis compare to the saturn versions, ive got dodonpachi on saturn already

They are a little bit better. Nothing spectacular, but if you have both versions you will certainly see the difference.
Dodonpachi especially is a bit sharper as the pickups like the shining stars as well as the fire on the ground after a ground target is eliminated are quite a bit sharper than the Saturn version. The game also has a bit less slowdown. Without a doubt my example of a showcase of how the PSOne could hold it's own as a 2D machine when put in the hands of a capable developer that put some real effort into their ports.

In this regard SPS pulled of bit of a miracle with this PSone port.
Would have loved to see them handle the Saturn port as well, but alas.

so nobodys got any info on Densha de go controllers? lol
I'm afraid not. While I do love the series and have a couple of the games. Like with most multiplatform games, I went with the Sega versions most of the time unless they were obviously inferior. Never picked up a controller sadly. But I do have the mini Space Invaders tabletop cabinet that came with the PS2 game, as well as Tokyo Buss Guide for the DC and the Japanese paddle controller with Arkanoid 2 on the Famicom. ;)

v0yce

It came out in the states but isn't the Japanese version of Silhouette Mirage a lot better than the US?

I've always wanted to play that.

gryz

Banned
They are a little bit better. Nothing spectacular, but if you have both versions you will certainly see the difference.
Dodonpachi especially is a bit sharper as the pickups like the shining stars as well as the fire on the ground after a ground target is eliminated are quite a bit sharper than the Saturn version. The game also has a bit less slowdown. Without a doubt my example of a showcase of how the PSOne could hold it's own as a 2D machine when put in the hands of a capable developer that put some real effort into their ports.

In this regard SPS pulled of bit of a miracle with this PSone port.
Would have loved to see them handle the Saturn port as well, but alas.

weird, I always just assume shooters and fighters are always going to be better on saturn

Yuterald

The Japanese version of Ace Combat 3.

Pretty much. =(

Also;

920081_83012_thumb.jpg

The King's Field "1" that we got was actually King's Field II. This was From Software's first, true, Demon's/Dark Souls game. Unlike most first person RPGs which are either grid/turn based, King's Field is one of the few fully 3D, explorable first person dungeon crawler. There's really nothing like this series and Demon's/Dark Souls are apparently their "evolution" of sorts. Original may be somewhat dated, but it's still very much playable and it's a shame it never made it over here. Paved the way for a lot of stuff.

573873_12571_thumb.jpg

A 2D, run n' gun Wild ARMs...I mean, Contra-like game. Always wanted to play this. Still gotta get around to importing this one. =/

meppi

weird, I always just assume shooters and fighters are always going to be better on saturn

Most of the time they really are. The Parodius games come to mind as an extreme example. Sadly, before I ever owned a Saturn I eagerly picked up the Parodius Deluxe Pack when it launched in Europe. When I finally got a Saturn a good year or so later, it was a real eye-opener just how much better those games were on the system.
But as with any rule, there are always some exemptions.

In the hunt is another one although a bit strange.
The Saturn version certainly is a lot closer to the arcade game with lots more details in the graphics, with just about all the explosions and destruction being kept in tact. Sadly it also suffers from a huge amount of slowdown due to this.
While the PSone version runs a lot smoother, it also misses a huge amount of detail and spritework to keep it from bogging down.

As for fighters, I can't think of a single one right now that was better on the PSone actually.
And to be honest, for shooters as well, the rule of thumb is that if it's 2D, you're much safer to pick it up on the Saturn except for the ones I named above.

what's the deal with the japanese AC3?
The western version had pretty much all of the story cut out of it along with a bunch of missions if I recall correctly.
The Japanese game was a multi disc game with a sci-fi story, while the western one was basically a cut down version.

Also learned something new today.
I had no idea that Gunners Heaven/Rapid Reload didn't come out in the US... As it was a launch game in Europe.
If you go for it, just don't expect Contra/Gunstar Heroes quality. It's a good game but not something that stands out at the top of the genre at all.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees meppi's pic* Damn, that completely reminded me of Umihara Kawase Shun (really wish that 3DS one would get an eShop release in the US), Harmful Park, and most of all, Rakugaki Showtime (it has Maria from Mischief Makers as a playable character!!). More so, it reminds me I should get a JP PSN card one of these days so I can download them onto my PS3.

It came out in the states but isn't the Japanese version of Silhouette Mirage a lot better than the US?

I've always wanted to play that.
Yeah, we got the PS1 version (Saturn was JPN only), though it was localized by Working Designs & they changed things to make the game much harder. You can read about the differences here. There's also some minor differences between the PS1 & Saturn version as well.

SkylineRKR

Gunners Heaven is a decent Gunstar Heroes rip off, even down to the name.

Ace Combat 3 is also worth it, the JP version is like an entirely different game.

Recall

The Japanese version of Rival School has story modes which were cut from the western releases making it a very different single player experience.

meppi

*sees meppi's pic* Damn, that completely reminded me of Umihara Kawase Shun (really wish that 3DS one would get an eShop release in the US), Harmful Park, and most of all, Rakugaki Showtime (it has Maria from Mischief Makers as a playable character!!). More so, it reminds me I should get a JP PSN card one of these days so I can download them onto my PS3.
Indeed... I actually bought the 3DS Umihara LE game even though I don't have a Japanese 3DS yet. Maybe one day... So I'm hoping for a European eshop release as well. It certainly has a good chance of happening.
I bought a ¥10.000 PSN card myself only a month or two ago and it was empty within an hour. Lots of great classic games on there and a very convenient way to play them. :)

God bless you
:)

Dizzy-4U

I don't have a japanese PSN account so I dunno if they are there.

Rakugaki Showtime
ZLZdx4j.jpg

Panzer Bandit
v3HND8N.jpg

Snowboard Kids +
FXbjx9b.jpg

Advanced V.G. 2
ehfNclS.jpg

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters
tESs6kF.jpg

Internal Section
GZ2wmgQ.jpg

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Xi Jumbo.
My first response.

Another one I like to mention is Arkanoid Returns. It's nothing stellar but pretty competent, and the two player squash mode seemed to go over well with anyone who I tried it with.

While I'm here I'll give obligatory shout outs to the 5key Beatmanias and the Flight Plan SRPGs (at least the Black/Matrix games, never played any Summon Night, I might try to change that in the future).

Bishop89

Cant remember the name, but it was a gundam game but it played pretty much like advance wars. Gundam: Lost worlds? I dunno, something like that.

Was really good, though i am a huge advance wars fan so..

meppi

Cant remember the name, but it was a gundam game but it played pretty much like advance wars. Gundam: Lost worlds? I dunno, something like that.

Was really good, though i am a huge advance wars fan so..

Probably Mobile Suit Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Zeon no Keifu?
Had it on the Saturn and even the sequel on the Dreamcast. Great fun. :)

Soul4ger

Mine have been mentioned, but I'll reinforce suggestions for:

Moon
Popolocrois, Popolocrois II, and Poporogue
Panzer Bandit
Rakigaki Showtime

Moon and the Popolocrois series aren't really pick-up-and-play games, they're RPGs, and worthwhile experiences. The sort of game you really don't see coming out of Japan anymore, unfortunately.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
you know what, it might actually be that.

The Gihren's Greed series is rediculously good. Grand Strategy set in the Universal Century? What's not to like.

But yeah, there are a bunch of them. Blood of Zeon the sequel was on PS1. I've dumped hundreds of hours into this series. I've probably replayed Menace of Axis, the 4th game, more than any other PSP game.

So many of these games look incredible.

I'm not the kinda guy that imports consoles though :/

I hope I get the chance to play some of these one day

Gangway Monsters.

It's a cute little catch them all game...it's like...Digimon mixed with Beyblade. You roll around in an arena, your goal being to knock out the opponent. You charge your ability by grinding against the opponent, and then use it.

It was very very fun. You can make new creatures by combining orbs, or evolve ones you and by leveling. I believe you could give them items as well during the match, it's been a while.

However, very very very fun game. Would recommend.

BasilZero

Persona 2 Innocent Sin for the PS1

However it came over for the PSP.

Ironically Persona 2 Eternal Punishment which did come out in NA for PS1 did not come out on PSP in NA...

hipgnosis

These were released in PAL region though:

Vib Ribbon
Parodius compilation
Rapid Reload (Gunners Heaven)
Bishi Bashi Special
Time Bokan Yattaman
Kurushi Final

Saw these mentioned in the thread.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
As a picture is easier on the eyes than a bland list, I'll just post my favourites like that.

iX9rZXYj0IUJQ.jpg

In order:

Zanac X Zanac
Umihara Kawase Shun
Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition
Money Idol Exchanger (port of the brilliant MVS game, think Magical Drop with a twist)
Fuuun Gokuu Ninden
Namco Museum Encore
Kyuiin
Gaia Seed
Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken (Adventure of Little Ralph) (brilliant arcade like platform game)
Toaplan Shooting Battle Vol.1 (Doesn't work on PS2 systems or modded PSones btw)
Harmful Park
Gradius Gaiden
Magical Drop F
Ore no Ryouri (simply brilliant, one of the best games on the system)
Rakugaki Showtime
Captain Commando
Mirano No Arubaito
Raiden DX
Bokandesuyo
Panzer Bandit
Donpachi
Dodonpachi

Quite a few of these are on Japanese PSN as well btw. ¥600 a piece!

I don't have a japanese PSN account so I dunno if they are there.

Rakugaki Showtime
ZLZdx4j.jpg

Panzer Bandit
v3HND8N.jpg

Snowboard Kids +
FXbjx9b.jpg

Advanced V.G. 2
ehfNclS.jpg

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters
tESs6kF.jpg

Internal Section
GZ2wmgQ.jpg